Comments By Scott L.

https://cal16han.edublogs.org/files/2013/05/Patriotic_Semi_Truck23_CDL_Life-2jhvkg8.jpg avatar
  • Scott L.
  • Comments:

Watkins & Shepard (WKSH) Drivers?

Tracy - Thanks for the info, particularly in your other thread.

New Truck Driver Career Decisions

Another thing I forgot to mention is they are requesting a copy of my DD214. Even though it is older than the hills they still need it. Reason is periodically the VA makes a request of them how many vets are employed and they request proof of that number by way of the DD214. They don't make any money off it, it's just the gov't putting numbers together. Now I gotta find it. Think I remember seeing it about 20 years ago...

PJ - If you can't find it, request it online it usually free.... http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

Tractor Amenities

Though it going to be about six months or so before I get into trucking, I've already began putting about $50 bucks back per paycheck just for this purpose. I remember once finding a kewl website for truckers that had gadgets and stuff really inexpensive, but can't seem to remember it. Any good sites to check out?

OTR - Sundays & Church

So, wondering for any of you drivers that are adamant in your Faith and attending your Church services, when you are on the road can you leave your rig for a few hours to attend Church? Do any companies allow you to go off-route a few miles to park your rig to attend Church?

Also how does this affect a drivers HOS?

Watkins & Shepard (WKSH) Drivers?

Gator - I concur with your opinion also. As I have some Vet Benefits that will expire in 2017 I am going to select a company that has the approved VA apprenticeship program to use that money up, it a "use it or loose it" type of thing. Since WKSH doesn't participate, I'll put them in the middle of my list. BTW in case anyone is wondering, starting pay is 29cpm for them.

Watkins & Shepard (WKSH) Drivers?

We had a girl from my school drive with them straight out of CDL school. According to her its a good company with limited training. They evidently test you, send you on local runs for 2 weeks and then let you free into the world.

Hey Gator - I talked to the head recruiter yesterday, and he confirms that their training is only 10 days. I am little concerned about that, because that is not much training time at all. Esp "mountain driving", what ten days of driving only 5k miles.

Online CDL training program has a problem?

my eyes just didn't pick up on the except, sorry, my mistake.

I've gotten "bitten" by that word a couple times too.

Watkins & Shepard (WKSH) Drivers?

I am placing WKSH at the top of my list. Any WKSH drivers out there (on here)?

Considering a career change

and that job took at most one hour of your day and that was a good day. The rest of your day is sitting in your office staring at your computer screen

Brian - You've described my job to the "T", no longer a challenge nor exciting. Truly time for me to make the change also.

Considering a career change

That's odd....just logged in and able to see my entitlement info no problem.

Considering a career change

Danial,

If Brian is in a similar "boat" then I am, which is over the last few years as a contractor for the Navy I've worked my butt off implementing technology that has helped improve the program I work with. As a result, even though I get a paycheck (and work from home) I am neither content with the job (even though I get a nice paycheck) and because I work from home my social life has depleted. Also with the stupid budget problems over the last years, not knowing for sure whether I will have a job or not is always stressful. So my youth dream of hitting the road in the rig is my plan, seeing the country (since I've been to many other countries) and making coast-to-coast pals.

Considering a career change

Kewl beans will add them too it. Where ya able to log in to benie site today?

Preparing to start a new journey.

Brian,

Keep track of every penny you spend for this career change, you'll be able to deduct most (if not all...by doing it correctly) on your taxes. So take advantage of it as best you can. Check-out www.ehow.com/info_12048273_can-company-truck-driver-deduct.html also www.ehow.com/info_7946743_can-otr-driver-deduct-taxes.html.

I've decided to wait until after the new year to actually begin to take "action" (goto school, etc.) as I'm currently employed and I wouldn't be able to maximize any out-of-pocket costs.

My update I finished school

Amanda - Don't hang out in the hotel during your "down-time" go explore the area.

Considering a career change

Goto: https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal

Login Click: Check Post-9/11 GI Bill Enrollment Status

The next page will show you summary.

Considering a career change

BTW here is the VA link also: http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/searchInst.do

Cannabis

Anything that negatively interferes with an individuals senses, particularly while operating machinery and places peoples lives in jeopardy is not (and hopefully will never) be allowed. If there is one thing, and only one thing I can agree on as for Federal Regulations it is this.

I think our country should go a little further in the law, such as in Japan. If an individual causes an injury and/or death of a person(s) as a result of drugs and alcohol, however slight the impairment is, then the individual responsible for the incident should pay the life wages lost of his or her victim(s). I also think that for Professional Drivers, should be a ONE STRIKE your OUT....lifetime ban on ever driving commercial again.

Considering a career change

Steve,

Like you I am a VET and also work for a company that has a contract with SPAWAR. I am done worrying about whether I am going to be employed every quarter, six months, or FY. So I am also seeking a career change to become a driver.

I have some remaining Post 9/11 I plan on using to earn my CDL and also to use for OJT/Apprenticeship. Because of how much I make now, compared to how much I won't be making my first year. I am making a list of companies that are approved by the VA for the apprenticeship program. Keep in mind, using your education benefits are (and must be) in addition to your wages. NOT a part of your wages, and good thing is that it is not taxable.

Here is what I have so far:

COMPANY/ APPRENTICESHIP LOCATION REMARKS CONTACT INFO Con-Way Y OK Vern Hartnett 405.634.8491 May Y OR Scott Smith, Kory Knox, Kim Garnica 800.547.9169 x. 8831 TMC Y IA FLATBED Duane Boswell 515.974.3447 Transam Y KS Russ Mcelliott 913.324.7808 Covenant Y CA-Pomona 423.463.3006 Roehl Y WI HEAVY Jacob 800.825.8367

Rather than taking a companies word that they are approved, recommend using the VA site for confirmation. Select the OJT/Apprenticeship and search for entire US rather than specific states as it appears it goes by the company HQ.

As I find out more info I will share.

Truckers Having a Pit Bull OTR

Great discussion, I have a Staff-Pit he prob definitely too big for a company willing to allow me to take him, but I have another mutt I'd like to bring when I go. I assume O/Os have more lee-way?

What is the typical food budget for truck drivers on the road?

So question on Per Diem, first of all I work for a company (non-trucking) that pays my Per Diem to me upon completion of travel. Do most Trucking companies pay their employees the standard Per Diem rate or does the driver need to do this on their taxes?

I can see now why newbies have financial difficulties. If say they grossed 28K but were away from home 300 days of the year and didn't write off employee expenses, per diem ($17,700), etc then they screw themselves out of good chunk non-taxable income.

Since there are prob a lot of drivers that don't want to spend money on hiring a tax accountant, since they charge. What would be a good software a driver could use to keep track of deductions, etc? I currently use Turbo Tax but think it would be more of headache for the avg driver to use this software.