Comments By Splitter

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0340504001542333352-76622.jpg avatar
  • Splitter
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
  • Comments:

Transgender Woman Nervous About Trucking

I would focus on passing my CLP, my pretrip & my CDL exam. What happens outside of yourself, you have no control over that. How you react is totally under your control.

Flatbed Variety

In search of Giant Vampires!

0488417001555542287.jpg

rofl-1.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-3.gif

Never thought of that when I've seen these before.

First bump in the road

I see your from Indiana. who did you end up driving for?

His avatar is a Millis Transfer truck.

First bump in the road

It was definatley the guy not paying attention. He was obviously on my left and was parked at the line. He assumed i was still back at the pump and turned without checking his mirror. There was probably 15 feet in front of his truck that he didn't use. He tried to blame me and say i drove into him turning. Even though i was sitting there with my parking break set. Behind the line. My worry is how this will reflect on me as a student out with my trainer. I know thats selfish but hey what are you gonna do.

Did you get a police report? If I were you I'd ask the manager if there's a way to get security footage to show you were parked at the time. Another driver had a similar situation & the other driver said the same thing. What saved that driver was his dashcam footage. Cop threw the book at the other driver for lying.

Road test

Drove an Auto for the first time today.... what a slow ass slushbox.. didnt think i was ever gonna get up to 65, and that was with an empty 48' trailer..

Don't keep it floored. Let off the accelerator as if you were shifting. I let off just as it approaches 1500 rpms & it shifts faster.

ill just stick to manuals until im forced to make the switch,, i was also bored as hell on this trip haha

Luchy you! I don't have a choice. Lol

First bump in the road

Laziness, ignorance, lack of situational awareness, mirrors not adjusted, stupidity, carelessness, lack of training. Pick a term that fits. NO EXCUSE fits. Period.

If I appeared to be making an excuse then I apologize cause that wasnt my intent. I was just showing that it wasnt from being too lazy to look in my mirror but that I was somewhat overwhelmed at that moment. Judge me all you want.

Posted:  2 months ago

Change your daily washing routine

Rainy has a great Macgyver shower in a truck story. Hope she reads this thread. Lol

Orlando Florida

I’m leaving here headed to Gould Florida I suppose it’s gonna get worse plus I don’t speak Spanish.

Get some Cuban food while your down there & yes, that's Miami area. Basically, you're jumping out of the frying pan & jumping into the fire. I was at a drop near there that had a food truck come by for breakfast & lunch. Great Cuban food on that thing.

Road test

First bump in the road

“That Guy” that ran over your hood needs some more training! No excuse for that other than laziness....

Don't quite agree with this statement. When I was solo for a month, I had a load going down I-95 corridor thru DC. My mind was racing as to whether or not to spend the night at our Pittston terminal, just get some food & shower then hit the road, maybe get my laundry done too... then I hear that dreaded crushing sound. My mind was all over the place while setting up to back into a spot & forgot to "watch my wagon". The damage I caused was very similar to that.

What's even more ironic is that I saw that very truck yesterday as he drove past me & waved. Had he of known that it was me that hit him, I think his gesture would've been with one finger. He wasnt in the truck when it happened & security said they'd handle it. Felt like such a schmuck cause his grill was flapping back & forth as he drove past me.

Posted:  2 months ago

Something i hadnt noticed before

If you compare mudflaps, the duals have a much wider one than the super singles.

Orlando Florida

That traffic is there on purpose. If you pay the toll you can go around it on 417. More miles but less stress. I'll be going down soon for some hometime.

Posted:  2 months ago

Am I crazy to quit $58k per year job to become a trucker?

Thank you everyone for the replies and advice. I’m seeing first year pay ranging from $45k up to $90k. I still want to be a trucker even if I end up being on the low end of the range at first. For now I will be studying for the learners permit and reading all the good stuff on this site. When I get ready to pick a company/school I will check back in for more advice.

Good stuff Ricky! Along with the High Road training, read up on Daniel B.'s pretrip pdf. It has visual aids & will help identify what the permit questions are referring to.

Road test

Congratulations Scott D. dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  2 months ago

Silly sleeper berth question from a newbie driver...

Splitter, Old School, and Grumpy Old Man - lol thanks so much fellas! I really appreciate the help and insight! undefined

Thank you for bringing it up. Taught me a very valuable lesson. Never ever answer a question after driving from Ardmore, OK to Dallas, TX then to Joplin, MO. After rereading it now, it's one of DUH! moments for me. Lol

Prime MVR Standards

Thank you G-Town & Rainy. The more he responds the deeper the hole gets. Like I said earlier, have fun. But while you're busy pointing the finger at all of us. There's 3 fingers pointing back at you. Good luck.

Posted:  2 months ago

Am I crazy to quit $58k per year job to become a trucker?

0375522001555421825.jpg

The top slide is your day at your present job. The bottom slide is your day as a trucker! rofl-3.gifrofl-1.gif But if you have it in you? You'll love every minute of it.

Prime MVR Standards

Hour. Were not here to understand you or get to know you. The more you get caught up in that diatribe you just posted? The more difficult your time out here will become. Many have asked you to, detach from yourself, take a deep breath & go back and read your comments as a outsider.

You know what, I'm out of this. You have fun.

Posted:  2 months ago

Am I crazy to quit $58k per year job to become a trucker?

I’m 51 and have a decent 5 day work week making $26 per hour. It’s mostly a desk job with some on the floor supervising. I’m getting fed up with the stress and politics. If this company went out of business I don’t think I could easily get the same job for the same pay. I am seriously considering getting into the trucking industry. I’m single and my kid is grown, nothing to tie me down. I’m ok with not being home most of the time. I feel like trucking would give me better job security and the flexibility to move anywhere in the country. Hopefully I could also make a lot more money eventually. How much of a pay cut would I be taking at first? Could I eventually earn $80k or more per year?

The first thing you might consider doing is reading Brett's book: Becoming A Truck Driver and some CDL Training Diaries to see if you have a clear picture of what you'll be facing in this field. If after reading those things & some soul searching, you feel your up to the task? Then go for it. Trucking isn't for everyone but it takes a certain mental capacity to deal with the days that test your patience & perseverance.

I'm not saying there aren't good days. Heck, there's spectacular days out here where you'll see amazing landscapes, meet incredible, genuine good people & make some serious bank too. Just want you to jump in with your eyes wide open & know that the grass will always be green, wherever go, if you fertilize it, water it & care for it.

Prime MVR Standards

What was the moving violation in the last 4 yrs? that could matter.

No matter what we say, you wont believe us, so book your bus ticket and go. Otherwise, if you keep delaying, they will make you fill another application if you dont go within 30 days of the first one. That means those really hard employment issues all over again. Fill out a few apps over a few months and they see you as a flake and may not return your calls. Recruiters move to people who will go, not ones who just talk about it.

I've never not believed you. Any followup questions/comments are for better understanding for you all and myself. Anyway, I already had to update the application. I also just paid the admin fee...so I am now scheduled for orientation. I have backup companies in place. I just really want to be with Prime. The moving violation was the speeding ticket in 2015.

That should not be an issue at all. Its past the 3 year window they look at. Which terminal are you scheduled to attend orientation at? Seriously, consider flying instead of taking the greyhound. Especially if you can fly with Allegiant Air, Springfield, MO is their hub. It was cheaper than the bus when I flew from Florida.