Comments By Splitter

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0340504001542333352-76622.jpg avatar
  • Splitter
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 days, 3 hours ago

Silly sleeper berth question from a newbie driver...

Actually the answer would be C and D. The split sleeper berth rule currently allows you to split your 10 hour break into an 8 hour break in the sleeper and a 2 hour break as off duty.

I'm thinking Splitter is so tired right now, he's not reading the question correctly. I know Rainy taught him how to understand this little mystery better than that. smile.gif

Man Old School, you hit the nail on the head both times. Today was the day that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed & everything has just spiraled downward. Made it to the Joplin, Petro and my 14 was down to zero after finishing my pretrip but I still had 1+ hours on my 11. Almost made the mistake & kept driving. Luckily for me this place has 400 spots.

Posted:  4 days, 3 hours ago

Maverick vs. TMC

I have 0 regrets having decided to go w/ TMC, other than their no pet policy, and that will ultimately be the reason why I will depart after my year commitment is up, if not sooner. I will just have to find another flatbed company w/ a dog-friendly policy but will know TMC has set me up to be successful regardless of which company that may be.

The money you owe for the contract goes down every 3 months, so after 6 months, you only owe 2k (1k after 9 months), I'm not sure about Mavs.

I have talked to some Mav drivers that haul glass, and all appear to be happy w/ their day-to-day.

All-in-all, I'm sure either are fine choices, it will just come down to 1-2 things YOUR looking to get out of the industry and can either give you them or at least get you going in the right direction to help you obtain them.

As an outside observer, why wouldn't you wait out the 2 year window that most specialized flatbed companies require to get hired on. If I were younger & just starting out in this field, that would be my goal. 130-150K a year for 80K miles is a great motivator.

I know you miss your baby but...

Posted:  4 days, 3 hours ago

Prime ?

Can't remember where we were two nights ago but when we woke up there were several downed lines and it was snowing!

0817066001555384666.jpg

You were in MO, @ Flying J off I-70. You gotta remember these things. Rainy will quiz you when you least expect it.

Posted:  4 days, 3 hours ago

Silly sleeper berth question from a newbie driver...

From the way I read it, its B. When running 8/2 splits you don't need a full 10 hour break. You do 8 in sleeper berth & 2 off duty while driving on the hours you get back from each break.

Posted:  4 days, 19 hours ago

Prime MVR Standards

Honestly, I wasnt going to respond due to your negative attitude. You find problems with every solution you're given. Since Rainy & Turtle gave you their experience, here's mine.

I had 2 moving violations, 20 over the limit [reckless driving] & improper lane change. I had a criminal record with 4-5 incidents that occurred 30 years ago, I too was self employed & had to present my tax returns for prior 3 years & while at sprimo had to come up with my paychecks for Jan & Feb of that year.

I had all my paperwork with me & was able to d/l my checks from my online account. I could've very easily been sent home for any of those reasons. I busted my rear to get all my orientation requirements done in time.

Them asking me for my current job history, for only 2 months, came up on the very last day of orientation. Ok, how can we resolve this? These are my options. Presented them to my recruiter & screening personnel, problem solved.

It's not about looking for problems or obstacles, it's about being as prepared as possible & finding solutions to unforeseen issues as they come up. Trust me, you'll remember that last line for the entirety of your trucking career if you ever stop finding problems & get on that bus or find a different route like I did & fly. Once you upgrade to your own truck, they'll reimburse you for the price of the bus ticket. Well worth it, in my opinion, to avoid the greyhound [dirty dog] bus ride.

Posted:  4 days, 19 hours ago

Maverick vs. TMC

I am separating from the military after 8 years of service. I did not do any driving in the military as I was a mechanic, so I am coming into the game with no CDL. I have a wife and a daughter and we own a couple of houses, so taking 8+ weeks with no pay to get my CDL is not an option. Because of this, I am looking at companies that train you to get your CDL. I want to strictly drive flatbed for numerous reasons. Mainly to get my foot in the door and one day work up to specialized and oversized hauling. I have narrowed it down to TMC and Maverick.

Both companies appear to be well respected in the industry. Below are some differences between companies

TMC -Peterbilts -Specialized divisions for experienced drivers -No APUs installed in trucks -No minimum guarantee pay -Percentage pay 26%-34% (mileage is still an option) -Closest terminal Columbia, SC -Trucks governed at 62 -Rider age minimum 10 -1 year commitment -HQ in Des Moines, IA

MAVERICK -Freightliners -Also has glass and temp control divisions -APUs in the truck -Minimum weekly guarantee ($1,000 gross) -Closest terminal is Laurensburg, NC -Trucks governed at 65 -Rider age minimum 13 -2 year commitment -HQ in Little Rock, AR

Here's the simularitues: -Both run regional SW and Atlantic -Medical insurance is roughly the same for family plans -Both get you home most weekends -Most trucks are now automatics -Pay appears to be similar at the end of the week -Both allow me to use VA benefits for OJT

This is all from info I have gathered via Facebook groups, forums, and YouTube.

So I was wondering, what current and former drivers think about the company? Pros/cons? Why you stayed or left? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Tyler, my suggestion is to use the search bar at the top of the page & type in each company's name with diary as the keyword. I know TT member solo works for TMC & from my understanding, their trucks don't have APU's. Maybe he can clarify.

Reading the diaries will give the best insight as to what to expect & how to be best prepared when you pull the trigger. From my limited experience reading on here? Both are solid companies. Good luck going forward & thank you for your service.

Posted:  5 days, 5 hours ago

Random acts of kindness

When I started to TNT with Rainy, she had problems with points on her rewards card. The cashier was very understanding but couldn't override the system. Dude behind us on line stepped & gave us 2 free showers with his shower power.

Another time at the Little America in Flagstaff. The cashier gave us a free shower & only charged us for one cause we didn't have points.

I ended up doing the same for someone that asked me at a Loves.

I also had numerous times where other drivers got out & helped me back. I try to do the same when I see someone struggling. But word to the wise, ask politely first! Learned that the hard way.

Posted:  5 days, 6 hours ago

Hey new here

Good to know. I was told not to even though I never learned how. My PSD trainer said he'd teach me during TNT but nobody told him Rainy was gonna do my TNT phase. Which worked out for the best. His FM switched to dispatch lease ops & he switched to L/O too. His FM would've been mine too if I had stayed on his truck.

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

Hey new here

Jason, you're ahead of the game. Since you already have the mechanics down, you have 3 things to focus on.

1. DO NOT FLOAT THE GEARS.

2. PRETRIP PRETRIP PRETRIP

3. Backing that trailer. Physicality slow your brain down. Make slow adjustments on the steering wheel. Learn the points of reference on the ground & on the truck.

Good luck & practice that pretrip every single day. Multiple times a day. Without it, your not going on to the next phase.

Posted:  5 days, 7 hours ago

My Prime Orientation PSD/TNT Journey (Extremely Detailed)

Good luck & hope it hit that trifecta. Great read.

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Clean tarps?

If they're covering a load and can get to them fairly easily, I wouldn't imagine they would charge much.

Then I would just have to hope they get rained on. TMC won't pay the extra, and I sure won't. That extra would add-up to quite a sum over the course of time.

TMC DOES ask in our new driver binder to clean them off at home, if possible, but since I don't have a home or access to a hose, then I simply can't without incurring the cost.

I'm no flatbedder but I think TMC is just wrong for expecting their drivers to wash their tarps on their hometime rather than paying whatever the fee (if any) to have a truck wash do it. My hometime is my civilian time.

Posted:  5 days, 10 hours ago

Scared!

I was in MO last night this morning and sleet then heavy snow...wind knocked down 2 utlility polea at a flying j on 70 :(

When I first got to the Pilot in Rayville, I parked facing west. The weather channel basically said that everything was coming that way. I moved the truck so that the glass would be facing east to avoid any broken glass. Luckily it was just that hellish rainstorm that Donna was stuck in.

Funny thing is that I was gonna shut down 20 miles down the road but trucker path was saying that pilot had some spot but Rayville had plenty. I remembered your comment about listen to your gut & lucky for me I did. Not 2 minutes after I parked it facing east, the skies just opened up.

Posted:  5 days, 11 hours ago

Scared!

I was in Rayville, LA when that system hit us. Dumped so much water that I had to move my truck from the pond that formed around it. Lightning strikes all around me & yes, tornado warnings saying to find shelter. Hope everything worked out for you Donna.

All that said, I'm glad I wasnt further north where they've gotten nonstop snow.

Posted:  5 days, 11 hours ago

I found out the secret

Also, those are exactly the numbers I was told they make by another driver. If I had started the career when I was younger, that would've been my choice.

Scrambling now to find a LTL comp that's hiring near Orlando, FL.

Posted:  5 days, 11 hours ago

I found out the secret

Wow! KIVI!! Very good company. Heard great things about them. Keen out of PA is supposed to be another good one for heavy hauling.

Posted:  5 days, 11 hours ago

Funny coincidence

Mine happened in reverse. I submitted the paperwork for my longest load after the cutoff. I had already asked my FM to push through a shorter load that I did after that. I wrongly assumed that this would automatically push through the prior one. Boy was I wrong.

Imagine the look on my face when I saw $300 on my settlement. Now this week is gonna be over the top.

Yes!! Congratulations on the new home.

Posted:  5 days, 12 hours ago

I found out the secret

0530528001555273291.jpg

That's freaking outstanding! Hats off to you & your brothers in that field. Making my yearly salary in one run!! Hahaha

Posted:  5 days, 12 hours ago

YRC's long-haul unit and 2 key regional units could go out of business if unionized workers vote down a tent. CBA

P&D gets hourly, linehaul such as myself get mileage my dad is a shop manager do he is salary. I started at 55 cpm and after 1.5 years am at 65 cpm, in September I will be top scale which is around 70 cpm. Hourly pay started at $25 a hour and has 6, 12 and 24 month pay raises to put you at $30 a hour. Plus we get 2 cpm and a $1 a hour pay raise every year.

I just checked every city in Florida to see it OD was hiring drivers. No luck. Sucks for me

Posted:  5 days, 12 hours ago

I found out the secret

I use Loves and Kwik Trip the most but you're right lol. Our 4 and 5 axle trucks average around 4mpg with the equipment they pull.

Geez! What'cha hauling? Small towns?! Lol

Posted:  5 days, 13 hours ago

Watch your wagon... G-town

Side not: When you're loading the cars on the carrier, do you have to take the weight of the vehicle into account when you figure out what order to load them?

Absolutely, when hauling big units like 2500s with 1500s or what have you. Weight and height are the biggest factors. You can get yourself in trouble when hauling big units and trying to load your truck for the stops rather than height and weight.

When you have smaller sedans it's really not much a concern. Just load your units for the stops you have.

If you have a straight hit you'll be unloading all units at one drop and it's no problem. Just load your truck to keep your weight and height down.

I hope all that makes sense!

Yup! Understood. Thanks