Comments By FliteRisk

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0020696001537498656-81807.jpg avatar

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting My Journey With Swift

FliteRisk-

Good Luck on your journey. Kind of sucks they wouldn't take you from West Virginia. Is there a feud between the two states?

I don't know. It's crazy though. Columbus is 5.5 hours away vs. Richmond at 2.5 miles away.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting My Journey With Swift

Good Afternoon all. I just checked into my hotel room in Columbus Ohio. I wanted to go to Richmond VA. but they didn't take students from West Virginia. The drive here was nice. About 5.5 hours. I loved driving through the mountains. I would just like to send a prayer to a young man who looked to have lost his life in a motorcycle accident that happened a few cars ahead of me. You never know what lies ahead on the road. Made me think a lot about what I am about to get into. I will continue to give you guus updates on my day to day. First stop, Wal-Mart!!

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Triples/doubles endorsement

Ah, the pleasures of dealing with the DMV!

When I went through that, I did the same thing as you. I tested out early on everything. My permit didn't show the endorsements, but my hard copy had everything on it like it was supposed to.

Same here. My HazMat won't show until I get the TSA check, and my final CDL I believe. Tanker shows, but says no cargo.

My tankers says no cargo as well. I was surprised that the doubles/triples wouldn’t show. But now that I think about it, it makes sense. Why would you want a rookie playing with dubs and trips when they don’t even know how to drive a regular tractor- trailer.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Triples/doubles endorsement

Ah, the pleasures of dealing with the DMV!

Good to know. I just need to get my hazmat now. WV just changed the license series numbers and the TSA site is not recognizing the permit number. The DMV to me to call TSA because it should work.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

Triples/doubles endorsement

I just passed my triples/Doubles test. Now the DMV is saying it can't be added to my CDL Permit in West Virginia. They are saying it will only be added after I get my actual CDL. Was this a true statement. The guy that was processing didn't seem to know what he was doing and had to call like three different people. He was also looking at some sort of cheat sheet when trying to get it set up.

Posted:  11 months, 2 weeks ago

You were in my shoes once so pay it forward.

I read my states official guide but I don’t think I would have passed without the high road. The high road helped me retain all the info. I studied for about 3 days. I took my CDL test and and some extra endorsements the same day. The folks at the DMV told me I would be there for a long time. I was finished in about 30mins. I was the talk of the DMV. They said they never had someone finish so fast and pass. I’m actually going to get my doubles/triples endorsement today. My state test was slightly different than the high road. No fault of the high road though.

Swift Trucking Price increase for CDL training

Good Afternoon. I was just informed that as of 10/1/18 the new cost is $6000.00 instead of the $3900.00. Everything I read still says 3900. But the paperwork from the recruiter says 6000. How much does Prime cost as of today.

Thinking about dumping my corporate job

Thinking about starting with Swift.

Welcome to the forum FliteRisk...very good choice, but not the only one you should consider. As follows...

As indicated by several of my good friends on the forum, I am indeed a Swift driver; have been running on one of their Dedicated Fleets delivering dry and perishable groceries to NorthEast Regional Walmart stores and Sams Clubs for well over 5 years now. For me this gig fits like a glove; I work with an awesome driver support team and planners. My relationships with them are intrinsic to overall success. Contrary to what you may have read on the Internet or heard, although Swift is a huge company with many, many moving parts, I basically interact with 2 primary Driver Leaders (DL), 2 planners, several weekend and night DL's and our Terminal Manager. At no time have I ever felt like just another "set of cheeks" in the First Seat. Nope... So...I could easily give you an extended commercial on Swift, pimping how wonderful they are. Yes they offer really good schooling, training, solid support for rookie drivers and almost infinite amount of driving options. Not my style to "sell" anyone on the merits of driving for them. Plus, honestly; one size does not fit all. Instead I will suggest that your success is based primarily on you, and NOT the company you are driving for. For the most part, the same basic principles apply and will deliver positive results no matter the name displayed on the door of your truck. If you are a safe and efficient driver, you will be successful at Swift, Prime, CFI, Schneider, West Side, Werner, CRST, CR England, Knight...etc., etc.

I always recommend to Newbies to exercise all of the available options and look beyond a single choice. Review the contents of the Truck Driver's Career Guide to get a feel for the types of OTR driving jobs available. Steer clear of local, tanker, and anything associate with a "Dollar" type of store. Dry van, reefer, and flatbed are your 3 best considerations as a rookie driver. Think about where you want to run be it regional, dedicated to a single customer (like I am) or coast to coast. And how you want to run; be it solo or team.

Spend some time looking through these links:

Paid CDL Training Programs

Trucking Company Reviews

You can use this link to apply once you have settled on your top 3-4 candidates:

Once you have thought this through further, reviewed the links we have sent, I'd be happy to expand on Swift's Company School (Academy), their road-training called Mentoring and upgrade to First Seat Driver.

Good luck!

I have decided on swift and most likely be in the next class on October 8th. I would really like to get more of your insight on swift. You ever run Walmart’s in Martinsburg WV?

Thinking about dumping my corporate job

FliteRisk (nice tag by the way!!!), I spent the last 17 years of my previous life in supervisory roles. All of the baggage that goes with being 'the boss' goes away the minute you get into the career. The nice thing about driving is that, as you've already figured out from your research and other commenters here, you are responsible for yourself, your load, your equipment, and the spacial bubble around your rig. Period.

There is no drama, unless you choose to create it. And if you are sharp, which it sounds like you are (you're here seeking knowledge, after all) you will avoid creating drama. Your dispatchers and driver manager types will love you for it. Most of your coworkers will appreciate that you aren't living the reality TV lifestyle, and your blood pressure and overall satisfaction will benefit as well. Ive been doing this for a bit more than five years now, and love it. I went from OTR regional to day-cab local work. Jumped back into the sleeper for OTR regional again, as I missed it.

Good luck to you, and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Passed My CDL permit thanks to this site!!!!,

Congratulations FliteRisk & good luck to both of you going forward!

Thank You!!!!

Passed My CDL permit thanks to this site!!!!,

Congrats! I was reading you intro post the other day and we appear to be in similar career situations. Didn't you just post only 6 days ago saying you were thinking about changing careers? You don't mess around! It's inspiring that you've already gotten your permit. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should go ahead and go get mine. I have a long vacation coming up in November that's paid for and I can't start school until after that.

Thanks. Yeah I just posted 6 days ago. I'm on a long vacay from work. I'm almost certain that I will be changing careers. I would say go for it with the permit at least. It's good for six months. It is scary though. The thought of getting out of my comfort zone and leaving a rather high paying job. But what's pay when you hate your job?

Passed My CDL permit thanks to this site!!!!,

Thank You all for your encouraging words. This forum is awesome. I missed my doubles/triples endorsement by one point. Some of the answers in the West Virginia test were a little different. I will definitely go back to pass that one in a week.

I did pass General knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination, and Tanker.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Taking my CDL permit test tomorrow!!

I don't know how to quote part of someone's post.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Taking my CDL permit test tomorrow!!

Don't be like me, study the official literature also. rofl-1.gif

I studied the West Virginia guide as well.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Taking my CDL permit test tomorrow!!

Good Luck!

Just started studying for mine. Let us know how it goes.

Will do. High Road Training was god sent. I did that after I read the paper manual. The paper manual can't compare to it.

Posted:  11 months, 3 weeks ago

Taking my CDL permit test tomorrow!!

Wish me luck!!!

I went through all the parts of high road that currently relate to what I'm testing for. I will be doing the basics plus doubles/tripples, Tankers, airbrakes, combination. I signed up for hazmat but I didn't know you needed an actual CDL first. I'm not nervous but I am not ****y either. I studied really hard.

Thinking about dumping my corporate job

I've been meaning to chime in on this.

We always try to help people understand that there's no such thing as "the place to be" in trucking. There is no magical type of freight that pays more than everything else. There is no perfect job, perfect company, or silver bullet to success.

You can make excellent money hauling any type of freight out there. The difference is in the lifestyle and demands each of them offers.

• Dry van has more opportunities for better home time, but often entails shorter average length of haul.
  • Refrigerated work offers fewer opportunities for good home time but a much longer average length of haul.
  • Flatbed of course normally requires more physical work out in the elements when securing freight and you will find a large variety of opportunities when it comes to home time and average length of haul.
  • Tanker often requires some physical labor when hooking up hoses and offers a wide variety of opportunities for home time and average length of haul. You should have at least one year of experience in one of the other types of freight before attempting any tanker work
  • Line haul is the most like a "regular job" where it's predictable and you're doing the same runs all the time but the pay is exceptional and most drivers get home every night or almost every night
  • Local work often entails a lot of physical labor, especially for the best paying jobs, and extremely long hours in heavy traffic with very little time at home to relax, but you will get home every night. You should have a year of OTR or regional experience before attempting any local work, which is usually what most companies require anyhow.

In the end you can make great money with any of them. The top performing drivers in all of those categories make roughly the same amount of money. It really comes down to what you're looking for regarding home time and job duties.

Line haul sounds nice.

A Day In The Life of a Walmart Dedicated Driver

G-Town, this was a great read. A dedicated Walmart gig sounds like something I would like. I am also in Walmart everyday with the wife!! I live maybe like 10 mins from the swift terminal in WV. That’s what made me look at swift as well. Not sure if that means anything by being that close to one though.

Thinking about dumping my corporate job

I left the corporate world (restaurants) for trucking and it was the best decision I ever made. I started with Swift. Despite what some might tell you, they are a good company with which to start. Their training is six weeks, that's long but not too long (some are six months). Keep in mind that you're probably going to take a pay cut for the first year or two, then stuff will take off.

I could not recommend to you more that you go with a flatbed outfit like TMC. That was the one mistake I made moving into the industry. Flatbed and heavy haul are where the drivers are making up middle income salaries and are home weekends at least. I've got buddies who are approaching six figures. I've been running flatbed almost a year now and my income has gone up by about a third.

Yes, it's as hard as it looks. You earn every penny. But I'm in great physical shape and I feel good - more productive now in my 40s than I was in my late 20s. If you wanna make that move that's the advice I'd give.

Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Thinking about dumping my corporate job

I managed people for many years, got into trucking at the age of 58. Wish I would have done it much earlier. Very challenging but I am only responsible for myself!

I love the idea of being responsible for me only. I have 30 people that report to me now.