Comments By Pete E Pothole

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0183257001563755762-82844.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

NYC? 5 stops by 2pm? Challenge accepted!

First day of work for folks after a long weekend. I dont envy you, buy a lottery ticket before you use up all your good luck accomplishing that task.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

How old were you when you started driving truck?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Heartland buys Millis

You didn’t get trapped by the trains?!?! You got lucky!rofl-2.gif

I thought real hard about not taking a right towards the tracks you cant see from the yard. Sat there for 3 to 4 minutes wondering if I could back all the way to the yard to turn around. Decided to take the chance and not try the left turn off ausberger rd.

No train thank goodness.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

CDL school doesn't teach the new drivers everything they need to know to succeed according to Old School and Brett.

it's folks like you I am trying to appeal to and teach, not him

That's the funny thing about Todd; he asks a lot of great questions. They're fantastic teaching opportunities or great conversation starters.

Well I'm not sure about all of the questions that are asked. The answers in nearly all of the threads though are useful and helpful.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Heartland buys Millis

That's funny you say you got up at 1 Mr Noob. I got up at 1 in Trenton to roll at 2. Burned 2 hours 45 minutes at the brewery, most of which sitting in a line of 30 to get out. Went in bobtail even.

Seems most of the complaints were knee jerk reactions that I've heard and read. One real draw for people to Millis, was that it was family owned and mostly everyone is treated like family. Alot of fear about detached corporate ownership.

2:45 min wait to get weighed at 2am????? Thats crazy. Ive never waited that long at trenton miller. Was the guard staff short staffed?

No I'm sorry should have made that more clear, the delay was between 1330 and 1630. So I hopped over to the terminal to sleep and roll early

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Heartland buys Millis

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Heartland buys Millis

The company will continue to be run by the family. A lot of people are upset and fear Heartland will change things. I for one cant afford to worry about speculation, going to continue to produce positive results and evaluate what to do if/when changes are made.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Flatbedding vs Dryvan for a beginner

Furniture. He wants to be a "bed-bugger." That's the drivers who move people's stuff.

Quite s few of them get to drive/ride in some pretty cool looking trucks though.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Has anyone experienced this:-----?

So far I've only had two loads like that, the first, I got a QC message saying we have to reschedule so drop it at nearby terminal. Message arrived just as I was about to hit the hay so I could start driving at 1 am. Second load I delivered but arrived five hours later than appointment. Customer didnt seem thrilled, as everyone i talked each said "Oh, you're the five am appointment." Appeared to me as though customer service didnt let them know I picked it up 16 hours after it was supposed to be picked up. I let dispatch know as soon as he sent it wasn't possible for me to meet the delivery appt. and he said he knew and that is fine just get there ASAP. The best part of that trip was when one of the dock workers was extra rude with a crappy attitude was walking away from me after our brief interaction. I said I hope you have a great day sir, he literally stopped in his tracks, turned around with a dumbfounded look on his face. Made my day, to see that look, basically felt like telling him to have a great day was letting him know no matter how he may try to treat me poorly you arent gonna alter my mood or approach.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

My first REAL screwup

Donald asks...

how many drivers here do the pre-trip each and every day, come rain, shine or snow exactly as if the CDL examiner were observing them?

Every day, to the point if I'm under 3 different trailers during a typical dispatch (frequent occurrence running Walmart), I'll perform 3 trailer PTIs in one 12-14 hour shift. It's required.

As far as if the examiner is observing... no. I don't narrate what I am doing, thus it requires far less time. In addition, I focus on the areas most critical to safe operation; tires, wheels, brakes & suspension. Although I skip nothing, tires; especially steer tires receive a lot of my attention.

i guess once it becomes habit, one can still do a good pre-trip fast if one is in a hurry without missing something ... i would think critical areas to safety would be tires, wheels, brakes, springs, lights, wipers, mirrors, load securement, glass, seat belt, extinguisher and the inter-vehicular 5-th wheel coupling if there is one...although it's not officially an item on a pre-trip (I've seen a few pre-trip video tutorials already) I would be mindful of the working condition of my cab a/c in scorching summer weather as we are having right now ... the heater and defroster should be critical during the winter, one might think

I do the pre and post-trip every day. I walk around every time I stop. I don't call out what I'm doing as if an examiner Is there, but my mind thinks the words as my eyes and fingers do the work. I pay extra attention to the fifth wheel, landing gear and tandem pin. While it isn't common, people pull pins, fifth-wheel handles, and even crank down landing gear while you sleep. It's ugly but unfortunately true.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

What Would You Do In This Situation?

I clearly see your point, and that had to be a scary situation. Holding yourself accountable because you didnt think for someone who should know not to be a dumbass is a bit harsh. In my opinion you did everything right and quickly. It is kind of crazy though, that as responsible CMV drivers alot of our time is spent protecting people from themselves on the roadways.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Wow guyz!!! My inbox is full and texts unread!

You look quite distinguished on your first YT video!smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

omg.. so i look manly????

rofl-1.gif

rofl-2.gifrofl-1.gifrofl-2.gif

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Class starts on 8/26

I would use the test system here above any app, it asks many of the most important questions repeatedly to really hammer them home. The high road training program is what I used exclusively.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Amazon Fleet?

Maybe they previously had the name "Prime" on them but had to be removed due to pending lawsuit by Prime Inc. against amazon for using the name Prime.

These were new, one day cab pulling two others for delivery. I dont see how New Prime Inc can win a suit against Amazon having Prime written on its trailers. Whole most of us know them as Prime, most of the world is much more familiar with Amazon Prime.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Amazon Fleet?

Saw at least 12 gray day cabs yesterday heading east on US 35, then 71 South. Had the signature Amazon a-z arrow on them but no name.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Medical card - Lesson learned

Try natural sweeteners from the stevia plant. I use Truvia sweetener for coffee. Tastes just like sugar and all-natural, zero calories.

Truvia is only a tiny part stevia, the largest ingredient is sugar from alcohol.

Posted:  2 months ago

What has Rainy taught you?

Rainy taught me most of all, that if you cant laugh at your mistakes stress will get you. That and stressing repeatedly to take your time, take break if needed, but dont hit anything.

Posted:  2 months ago

Time to Say Goodbye...

Thanks for all you have done here. I wish you well, would say good luck, but we all know " The harder I work, the luckier I get. " and that you work as hard as any one of us.

Thanks again for your perspective and advice you have given, all of us looking into the career have taken something from your experiences you shared. i guarantee it.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Thinking of Packrat...

Ran for 17 straight days no lighter than 41k in the box. My load home was 6600 lbs, made climbing monteagle a cinch though.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Lost my medical card. :(

As others have said, carbs, starches and stuff with alot of sugar are the things to cut. I'm on 1k mg metformin 2x daily, but with my weight loss that will change soon. Last a1c was 5.6, highest it's been was at 7. Easy to lower if you find what causes spikes for you. I cut out all soda, but started drinking lipton green tea with citrus, turns out they had ALOT of sugar in them too. You will get it under control, I'm still weak have a bag of raisinets by my side currently, but I'm not as bad as I used to be.