Comments By Pete E Pothole

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0183257001563755762-82844.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Introduction followed by Millis Training Institute Diary.(Cartersville, GA)

Well I left my status unchanged, as I have always heard you will learn the most in your first year solo. So I considered that year my training period. Now I just have to watch out for over-confidence, stats I have seen show most accidents happen in careers between six months and two years experience. A bit of relaxing, and perhaps biting off more than you can chew so to speak.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Introduction followed by Millis Training Institute Diary.(Cartersville, GA)

Just calculated my earnings for my first year solo. Check dates are July 6 2019 to July 8 2020. I grossed 66.5k, and brought home 48.6k, I didn't achieve the goal I wanted to hit but I came close. I did not go through and calculate the miles I ran in that same time period, but the GPS i started using when I went solo shows 135k miles.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Unsure of my better option

Usually going to school with a company is recommended here. One of the primary reasons is that the company has time and money invested in you, and are typically more lenient when it comes to preventables. They will happen, the company wants you to succeed and would be less likely to tell you to hit the road over something minor.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Millis

There have been some changes, but nothing major has changed that I have noticed.

Pete, how far west do you run? When I was there, Texas, Kansas or Minnesota was about it.

On my way now to Terre Haute, then Valley, NE, and final is Mackenzie, ND. We do have some runs to Denver on occasion, we also go to Shelby IA and Ames regularly.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Millis

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

How is your year going?

Just short of 34k for me. The 24th will mark my one year solo.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Staying Busy In Good Times Or Bad

Those are some really solid miles Pete! Nice going!

Thanks Mr OS, learned slot from many of yours and others posts here. I have a great dispatcher, and I do everything in my power to keep rolling. Still much to learn, but loving this career. Most days I still grin when I think they pay me to do it, and pay well.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Staying Busy In Good Times Or Bad

When freight is good I will be preplanned, when freight is slow I find out when I hit ready, or shortly thereafter. My last few checks have been 3400, 2600, 2500, 2700, 2700, 2900, and 3100 miles each. I've been running as hard as appointments and freight allows.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Does Backing Scare And Frustrate you? Of course! Here Are Some Stories To Help Calm The Nerves.

The day you stop worrying about hitting stuff is the day you will hit something. It's ok to be nervous, downright scared even, but take as long as it needs and get out as many times as you need to. Cant say I was ever too careful while performing a backing maneuver. One day you will have a moment of clarity that will ease much of the fear and nervousness. From then on please remember to guard against complacency.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Well today I received a new DOT Med card. :)

Congrats Big Scott, thought about you when I drove through Joplin just a few minutes ago.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Rookie solo Driving Diary

Yea little less than 20, here in pottsville waving at all the swift trucks I see moving.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Rookie solo Driving Diary

I may have grabbed that load you dropped Friday, in Richfield Sunday. Delivering to Pottsville Walmart dc @ 0700 tomorrow.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

This a Marc"The 100k miles Champ" Lee Fan Club By Cornelius. A

I see nothing wrong with taking the easy spot. The more spots you put it in, the more your confidence and comfort level grow with the handling and reaction of the trailer. I'm no expert, but I always look for the easiest spot.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

PC to go park

The way I understand it is you dont use PC to reach a safe haven, you violate then add a note saying you were headed to nearest safe haven. Because whether you are advancing the load or not you still cant be off duty and moving the load. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Do trucks have wifi?

Can use your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect your computer that way.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Rookie solo Driving Diary

Nope still haven't been to anywhere in Rochester. Only loads I have picked up for there ended up being relays to get me home or to get someone up there home. On a side note, picked up at Miller Valley today. Went down to Oak Creek to scale and tandems were at 37700, but the rework was only 2 hours.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Do you carry a jug of engine oil?

At the Millis shops, bottles are there, just ask one of the shop guys and give them your truck number. I keep 1 oil, 2 coolant and 2 washer fluid. Same with fuel treatment, I try to keep 2 of those as well.

Also have wiper blades as well and straps and load lock bars available. Which reminds me i need a new one.

On a side note.... Is it odd I get excited when i find an empty trailer with a load bar or set of straps that got left inside? It makes my day.

I have two sets of thier wiper blades as spares from by b services. I buy Michelin blades from Menards for the truck when I get a store load. Get them there for 12 or 23 bucks, they are near 20 bucks anywhere else.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Rookie solo Driving Diary

Good job man! The luck you have with folks cracks me up, if it weren't for bad luck you wouldn't have any at all.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Looks like Dutch Maid Logistics 3/2 or 3/9 works!

Yeah, but I get to choose the menu items!

rofl-2.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-2.gif

Gotcha both!

I dont think that's a bet I would take.😁😁😁

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Do you carry a jug of engine oil?