Comments By Chris L

• Chris L
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Got stuck on a dock hook this is how my day went

Bobcat Bob wrote

Opps I forgot to adress the topic lol

Everyone needs a reminder once and awhile to not take short cuts. Yours was a good one no damage just some time and pride lost.

True enough I could tell that it had not been the first Rodeo for the warehouse guys. The guy that helped me actually brought out a couple of 4x4 that he place under the tandems in the hopes of lifting the ass end of the trailer just enough to clear the hook but no luck. I'm currently sitting at the consignees getting unloaded Here in Pittston, Pa.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Got stuck on a dock hook this is how my day went

Also I forgot to mention I was also 700lbs over on my tandems when I went through a VA weight station. I slid them to far forward when I left the shipper. I had to pull around and fix it passed the second go around.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Got stuck on a dock hook this is how my day went

So earlier today I was at a shipper in Troutman, North Carolina waiting to get loaded. The Warehouse gives you a set of instructions when you check in. Basically trailer clean, no straps or load bars in side the trailer, tandems back, square on the dock and uncuple the tractor from the trailer before they will load you. Well I screwed up the tandems back I got the trailer lined up with the door the pulled the locking bar out and proceeded to slide the tandems back. Instead of physically checking that the tandems were infact all the way back and releasing the locking bar to lock the pins in I just eyeballed it from the drivers seat. I got so focused on making sure I was square with the dock I failed to notice the tandems slid forward the approach to the dock has a slight decline so I was riding the breaks I didn't want to slam into the dock. Well they get me loaded and as I tried to pull away I couldn't because the dock hook was still under my ICC bar. The warehouse guys had to unload some pallets of product to lighten the trailer up so I could pull away. Oh and I almost forgot this is all happening while it was pouring rain. So what are my take aways from this 1) Always get out and check to make sure the tandems have slid back to the rear of the trailer. 2) Make sure the tandem pins are locked in even if I'm not un-hooking from the trailer. I've gotten a little complacent the past few months so far I've been lucky. But I know that luck can run out I've got to slow myself down and not rush.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Passed the NYS Metal Coil endorsement

Delco Dave wrote:

Thank you! Understood!

I figured it had something to do with the loading/unloading process. Wasn’t sure if it was also an issue with damaging the edges on one side by laying it down.

Surprised the DOT allows them to be in the rolling position due to safety reasons. With all the safety rules they have already, common sense would tell you the coils laying on side to prevent rolling would be the safest way

From the NYS manual cargo restraints must have a working load limit of at least 50% of the weight of the cargo that is being secured. There are also specific requirements for transporting metal coil.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Passed the NYS Metal Coil endorsement

To quote the NYS Metal Coil endorsement handbook: The proper terms for Orientation of a Metal Coil is the Coil Eyes "Vertical", Eyes "Crosswise", Eyes"Lengthwise". Actually one of the questions I got on the endorsement test asked which of the three choices was incorrect orientation: a) Eyes Crosswise, b) Eyes Lengthwise, c) Eyes inverted.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Passed the NYS Metal Coil endorsement

Old School wrote:

Hey Chris, Congratulations!

Did you use our training materials? They cover it completely.

Yes I used a combination of the 'High Road CDL training program" and I also obtained a copy of the NYS Metal Coil endorsement hand book and I used both to review.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Well this sucks :( Sent home from Prime

I'll echo the same sentiment that has been posted by the others. You are going to have good weeks with alot of miles and some weeks with low miles. Believe me this past year I've been up and down the scale when it comes to miles. For a while I thought I had been exiled to deliver and pick up in Northern Jersey.....lol. I currently drive for a Mid size (800+) trucking company that primarily operates mid Atlantic region. I'm out on the road for the week mostly leaving on Sunday night and getting back to the home terminal late Friday afternoon / evening. Depending on what you plan to do one you finish your training (OTR or regional) take everything that comes your way show your FM that you are committed make yourself the "Go to rookie" that your FM can call on in a pinch. Of course the caviat to that is it's not going to happen over night it's not like you start driving solo Monday and your FM calls you on Tuesday with a got to be there load. You are going to have to prove yourself. I can count on one hand how many times I've had to decline an assignment and the two times was because of maintenance issues with my truck. When the days suck just remember embrace the suck! Learn all you can during your training and ask questions and you will be successful. Good luck in your training and see you down the road.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Passed the NYS Metal Coil endorsement

I've been trucking along the past couple of months working towards hitting my first full year driving under my belt. That milestone is fast approaching. Yesterday I had rare Friday off so I took advantage of the time off and took the exam for the NYS Metal Coil endorsement. It took me two try's to pass but I passed and now I'm seriously considering moving over to the Flat Bed division of the company. It will open up additional opportunities that I can't get staying in the Dry Van division. One reason is mobility with the exception of the home terminal in Baldwinsville, NY the other terminals in the company run flat bed exclusively so the chance to relocate to warmer climes is a better option. The wife is getting tired of the snow and cold of Northern New York and wants to move South and I got to keep Momma happy......lol. My performance so far has been good the only negative spot I had was I high hooked a trailer (Ironically on the same day as Jamie) which I broke off the bracket that holds up the Air lines and Trailer electrical cable. I received a verbal warning from our safety department but I'm still in contention for the end of year safety bonus as long as I don't have any more incidents this year. By taking the Coil endorsement exam and passing it will open up additional opportunities for me. I'm looking forward to making 2020 a good year.

Posted:  4 months ago

Have you had one of those weeks? Let me tell you how my day is going!

Noob Driver wrote:

2 of my least favorite places, elkton miller coors and westrock syracuse. Been overloaded twice at elkton and that westrock is one of the tightest docks ive been too so far especially if you gotta work around a truck in the dock next to you its basically impossible.

Just curious have they gotten the outbound scale in elkton fixed yet?

Yes they have

Posted:  4 months ago

Have you had one of those weeks? Let me tell you how my day is going!

Update: I'm currently shut down at the Greencastle Pa TA. The road service guys arrived at 9:00 P.M. and the tire replaced by 9:30 P.M and I was back on the road after that. Of course I was out of HOS time so as soon as I moved I incurred a HOS violation getting to Greencastle to safe haven. As for the tire and rim my company requires us to bring them back it only in the passenger seat till morning then I'll move it to the sleeper bunk before I move. 0521810001579839715.jpg

Posted:  4 months ago

Have you had one of those weeks? Let me tell you how my day is going!

So I'm currently sitting on the side of Route 81 just south of Eixit 23 Falling Waters, Maryland with a blown out left rear drive tire (Super Single to boot) waiting for road service to come. The day started off good I got to the consignee in Ashland Virginia early and got unloaded prior to my scheduled appointment time. Then it was off to Miller Coors. in Elkton Virginia for a drop and hook load to take back to New York. When I checked in the pick up number my FM gave me had already been picked up. ,So I messaged my FM to get it straightened out the FM sent me another Pick up number go back to check in and that load was in the process of being loaded which another one of our drivers was waiting for. So another message to my FM and another Pick up number. Check in again this order is a live load and they don't have the product on hand so it's waiting time mid you I've already been at the location for two hours while my FM unscrewed this mess. Of course my time is continues to run so I drop the trailer in the live load cue and park and wait. I figured it would be a long wait so I switched from "Off Duty" to "Sleeper" so I could stop my HOS clock maybe squeeze in an 8 hour reset. The way the Miller Coors bubba's made it seem I'd be waiting for a long time. But it didn't happen from the time I dropped the trailer it was two hours by the time it was loaded. By the time I got back on the road I only had about 3 1/2 hours left on my clock and of course now I'm sitting on the road and my clock has run out. This has capped off at crappy week which started with my transmission going out on Monday lost every gear except 9th crawled back to our Maintenance shop after dropping my loaded trailer at the Syracuse West Rock yard. Been driving a spare truck the rest of the week this is the one that had the blow out. I'm glad that tomorrow is the last day of the week. It can't end soon enough.

Posted:  4 months ago

Veteran Apprenticeship Program

I'm currently in the VAP at my company. I get about $1,300 a month for my BAH Stipend. My company handles submitting the verification forms. The only complaint I have is the VA has not been consistent with depositing the Steipend I've only got one check deposited on the first of the month. Most have been random deposits. Right now I'm waiting for my December payment. I don't get upset I just realize it's just the VA efficiency in action. Good luck with your training.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Celadon

0436206001579050505.jpg

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Celadon

I'm currently shut down at the TA in Dansville NY. I parked next to this tractor I didn't even notice the name on the side of it till I was finishing up my post trip and hopping back into my own. Hopefully this driver was local and was able to get home for the holidays. So what happens to the tractor? Will a recovery company come and get it? I'm assuming that the driver let someone at Celadon know where this tractor is located and yes it has a trailer also.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

High-hooking a trailer

Pete B wrote:

I’m constantly amazed at the number of couplings I witness at the tank washes where drivers don’t get out and check the trailer height. I’d wager 95% of the drivers I see don’t do this. I commented on this once to another driver, adding that I’d seen a guy with a ‘million mile safe driving’ sticker on his cab fail to check the trailer height (and kingpin-5th wheel alignment), and his reply was along the lines of, ‘well if you’ve driven a million miles you’ve probably hooked up to enough trailers that you don’t need to get out and look.’ Needless to say I disagreed. It’s the easiest thing to do, and saves an incredible amount of trouble.

Back in my service days a Command Sergeant Major's in one of the Battalions I served in his favorite saying was "One Oh S$#t whipes out a million At a Boy's"! Even the luck can run out for a Million mile driver if they become complacent.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

High-hooking a trailer

This must be the week for high hooking. I did the same thing yesterday. I was at the Acme Distribution center at Denver PA and when I pulled up to set myself up to back the trailer didn't look any higher than normal. When I started to back watching out my mirror the trailer lifted up as normal but I didn't hear the normal "Click" as the 5th Wheel captures the Kingpin so I rolled back about a half a foot and I heard a "clang" . I jumped out and saw that the Kingpin was infront of the 5th Wheel so I cranked up the trailer and dumped my airbags and got the Kingpin back over the 5th Wheel. I backed up again stopping short and I cranked the trailer down and the second time the 5th Wheel captured the Kingpin. When I started to hook up my air lines that is when I noticed that I bumped the bracket that held up the Air lines and Trailer electrical cable and it broke off. It actually broke away from where it had been welded on top of the Cab Shield luckily it broke right at the welds. I reported it to our safety department and the truck went into the shop for a 15 minute weld job. Now I'm just waiting for Safety to get back to me. My take aways are to 1: Double-check the trailer height before I start to back not just eyeball it from the driver seat. 2: Stop and take a second look at the alignment before I fully back under the extra second it will take me will save future greif. Also one saving factor was I always creep when I'm backing up I know if I had been going any faster there probably would have been more damage. I've been in yards where I see other drivers just giving it the gas and slamming under a trailer. Keep your chin up Jamie you now have a kindred spirit in the high hook club.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

May Trucking orientation but my backing isn’t perfect since I’m fresh out of CDL school. Should I be worried?

When I got hired at my present company I actually did three road tests or as the company calls them "Check Rides" The first was actually part of the initial interview it's actually to see how well you shifting coordination is and basic pre-trip knowledge, and a basic streight line back all of this was done I a day cab tractor with a 53' attached. My second Check ride was with the Safety Director after my three weeks of in-cab training with my trainer. This check ride was to determine if I would move into the "Shadow Training" Where I drove my own tractor with a load and my trainer had his own load. After that three week training I did one final "Check Ride" with the Safety Director and I was certified to start solo. Backing is tricky I'm still dialing it in some days I get it square on the dock and other days not so much. The big learning curve that I found is backing up a tractor with a sleeper cab I'm not lined up straight with my Trailer I'm either spinning my wheel to soon or too late when I'm chasing the trailer into the slot. When I went through CDL school we road tested on Day Cab tractors and you could glance out the back window to help you straighten out. Don't worry about about backing it will take time and every time you back you will gain confidence always GOAL and ask a fellow driver if you need a spotter most drivers will help because they have been in the same spot you are now every one started out as a newbe. Knock on wood I've never had a driver tell me no. Good luck on your new adventure and safe travels.

Posted:  5 months ago

Watch those Fuel hoses!

I'm currently sitting at the Gibson PA Flying J (Exit 219) I was waiting to fuel up and the driver infront of me was just about finished fueling. After he pulled up I pulled in and jumped out to start fueling. When I initially slid my card in the pump screen stayed blank and it didn't ask for my truck number. I tried my card again nothing so I hit the cancel button on the key pad and the screen indicated that the pump was still activated from the last driver. I looked at the fuel nozzle to see if was seated in the cradle and that's when I noticed that the hose was behind the lever / switch that hose had kept it up enough to keep the pump from shutting off. I moved the hose and the pump shut off proper and I was able to rack my fuel card and pump fuel. When the guy in the truck that used the pump before me I let him know to keep a eye out for next time so he doesn't make the same mistake. I've now added another check onto my continuous check list.

Posted:  5 months ago

Question for the experienced drivers hug the yellow or the white

I drove School bus for three years before I made the jump to tractor trailer. When I went through school on my training drives out of habit I'd keep the truck pretty much riding the white line the instructors would always tell me to center myself in the lane. Even now I still find myself keeping close to the right side of the lane / road.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Mystery Contact Number

I've been getting robo calls from the "Social Security office" Telling me if I don't call back I'm in big trouble. I called back and they asked me for my name and I told them it was Epstein Didintkillhimself they hung up. RealDiehl at least the number you got wasn't 867-5309.... lol