Comments By Sid V.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/show-truck1.jpg avatar
  • Sid V.
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 months ago

First week...are all companies schedules this tight?

Call your FM and ask if there is a window of time to drop it in. Sometimes they put inaccurate information (sometimes on purpose) for the driver.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

HOS changes coming

Well, I guess i did. :)

But next time I need to build a bridge in the middle of a cornfield, I'll let you know. :)

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

HOS changes coming

So you want truck drivers to ***** and complain to people that have no business being in charge of trucking? Never held a cdl, never been inside a truck, never moved freight, and frankly can't do anything right.

Thanks, but it's not worth the effort to breath in, form my mouth in such a way sound can be heard, and breath out.

The only thing government understands is dollar and cents. They'll only understand complaints from big corporations that are affected not from truck drivers.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Truck stop minor accident

Stuff like that happens all the time. Most likely something like this won't even meet their insurance deductible.

It will most likely get reported to dac if your carrier chooses to do so. I doubt any points will get put anywhere since nothing was reported.

I had someone put a huge gash on my front fender. It only costs 1k to fix and they just slapped bondo on it.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Applying with a suspension on record

You can always ask. The worst thing they can do is say no. Then ask them what they're looking for. Good luck.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

OO/LO vs. Company Driver

Mark,

There is no secret formula for being successful in trucking. What works for one person may not work for another.

The spot market that o/o's deal with is very fragile and goes up and down. You can take a load one week for $2k, and the next week the same load pays $1500 and the week after that it may not be available.

The main thing is if you're happy at what you are doing, keep doing it because the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Actual Annual Lease Op Numbers

He's probably going to pay hardly anything in federal taxes, maybe a little to state if he's in a taxable state. He'll probably get his gross down close to 0 with all the deductions and the per diem.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Question: Did You Need Your Social Security Card to get hired?

I'm assuming it is to fill out the tax forms. I remember they accept documentation from several columns but I'm not sure what they are. I always used my passport even though it's expired.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Printing logs

I don't have a garmin, but on mine I would have to email them to myself, and print it out that way. Or you can try calling them.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Extra money from carrying a passenger?? O/O

I would be surprised if you find any regulations. I know that at a mega carrier of you bring a passenger you have to pay for insurance for them, so maybe ask your insurance if there's anything you should consider.

Also, you could always train for a mega. You would have to play by their rules and i wouldn't train in my own truck personally. The money is pretty good. But I know where you're coming from.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

24 Hour or 21 Hour Cycles

The mega carriers all use computers to figure that stuff out.

Once reason I don't miss about company driving is that they shorten the trips up. I had about 3 hour leeway on 1k mile trips. Basically, nothing can go wrong.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Should I become a truck driver or stay with my present career?...need help

I don't mean this to be insulting, but you have a very unrealistic view at what trucking is.

You'll never come close to that type of money unless you work 5x's more.

The rules and regulations are the same if not more than health care especially if your goal is to be an o/o.

Honestly, I would suggest you get a hobby or pet, or maybe even a part time job to fill your extra time.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Can someone clarify the difference between "arrived at shipper" and "arrived at stop"?

Shipper is the origin of the trip. Receiver(consignee)is the end of the trip.

Stops are the deliveries or pickups in between the shipper and the reciever.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Moving while out of hours?

If you're asking if it's ok to move when you're out of hours without asking your company, I would say you better make sure you can get over there without triggering the clock.

It's not really that big of a deal if you go .1 miles in violation, but it may mess with the clock. Let's say when they're finished you've went over by 2 hours. Now, if you creep over and accidentally trigger your clock you will have to take a 10 hour break once you get there.

If you go there on PC, since PC is logged in off duty you would only have to take an 8 hour break before you can leave.

Anyways, it's up to you.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Moving while out of hours?

They changed the personal conveyance law so that you CAN use it empty or loaded. Your company may have its own rules so obviously as them. I linked the faq and they answered it under #6.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Springfield, IL Walmart Bans Trucks Entirely After City Issues $50k In Fines!

The funny thing is Springfield is the Capital, so to get anything done with your cdl it goes through Springfield and a lot of it you have to show up in person.

I had to go renew my plates for my truck a couple months ago, drop my trailer at the nearest truck stop and bobtail into the heart of downtown. I was waiting for the police to gun me down.

Posted:  3 months ago

Seeking advice regarding first purchase of truck

Hi red,

Hrm,

I would recommend buying a truck with a warranty on it instead of gambling on an older one.

I would say one of the most important thing is how much you have in your savings after you buy the truck.

Posted:  3 months ago

Intro to O/O Health Advice

I get my health insurance through the obamacare marketplace. I pay over 400/ mo for health and dental.

It is definitely a huge expense for o/o that needs to be accounted for in the rates you charge.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Can you be an actual owner/operator at Prime?

OS, i didn't say anything about forced dispatch. I said if i only used one load board and there was only one load available within 200miles and it was a 45k beer load going I've mountains, i would take it.

That's pretty sweet that you have that kind of relationship with your dispatcher. I was just glad my old dispatcher picked up the phone when i called, lol.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Can you be an actual owner/operator at Prime?

I'm a second year o/o running under my own authority.

The problem with buying your own truck and bringing it to a carrier is you are relying on them too much. You are relying on them to have enough freight, keep you rolling, to pay high enough rates, to dispatch you properly, not to mention the legal stuff, permits, yearly fees, plates, plus you have to abide by their rules.

The less you rely on other people the more control you have, and more if a chance you will have to succeed.

For instance, i use 7 different load boards, and from then i can find maybe 1 or 2 loads i want to take. If i just used one companies board id probably be forced to take loads that i didn't want and if you're being put in that situation you might as well just be a company driver.