Profile For Noworrez

Noworrez's Info

Vancouver, WA

Company Driver In Training

Noworrez On The Web

9 months ago

Noworrez's Bio

Hmmm...let's see, I'm 57 this year (2019) and for the last 14-years have been self employed in the residential window cleaning business. For the last 8-years I have mostly done contract work for other companies and I absolutely love what I do. I have a Bachelors degree received a lifetime ago it seems and spent most of my career in Finance or managing people/product. I've been married to my awesome and beautiful wife going on 21-years and is my best friend. Our 19 yo daughter is finishing her Junior year in Nursing school and will graduate June 2020. The company I've been doing jobs for these last 8-years in 08/2018 changed their business model to employee based and being a sub-contractor, stopped feeding me work. Luckily I picked up with another smaller company right away but he isn't going to be able to afford me this coming season so It's time for a change.

Start training with Jim Palmer/Wilson Logistics on Monday 3/31/2019. Feels good to finally have a plan locked in.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

I did luck out Matthew, 2018 FL with a bit over 92k miles now and yes... autoshift, which I really like. You can shift manually if necessary but oh so nice not to have to run through the gears especially in traffic.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

It's a Freightliner Matthew. After living in the top bunk of a FL for the last 10 weeks with all my stuff around me, this thing feels palatial especially with the top bunk latched up against the back wall. Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

I remember that feeling. It's awesome being on your own, and a little nerve wracking at the same time.

Thanks old school! Yes that was the other feeling as well. Rule #1 Breathe! 😃

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

PackRat and Matthew, thank you gentleman!

I told my wife yesterday feels awesome to be in a truck by myself, but weird at the same time, like I stole it...very surreal.

Truck # 11386 if you see me out there Matthew, say hi!

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Made it back to Missoula Thursday morning about 1am, checked into the motel, showered and fell into bed about 2am and back in at 5:30. Damn I'm tired just typing this! 😄

I'm officially done with everything but my solo week which will begin today, (Friday 6/14) around 10:30am when I'll get my 34 hour reset. I wanted a clean clock for my week out as I had some funky low hours coming back. Why? Well, my last week we we're dispatched solo on everything.

Now for the fun part! I was assigned my truck yesterday. 2018 Freightliner Cascadia with almost 92k miles on her. Wow!! I just assumed I'd be in an older truck but apparently I'm doing something right to deserve her or maybe it's just the luck of good timing! Either way, I'll take it. To comment on the above, go for it. You won't know until you start talking to some recuiters. Personally I did alot of research and settled on Jim Palmer/Wilson Logistics before talking-to them and it was my only choice, no plan b. They just checked off all the boxes on what I was looking for AND they have the best looking trucks out there IMHO haha.

Training with solo week will come in right at 12 weeks, just like they said.

All for now, cheers....Kelly

Posted:  6 months ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Life is always interesting. My trainer had home time scheduled for 6/6 so I got an unexpected but wonderful trip home where he dropped me off on the 4th. It's been a much needed time with my family to recharge my batteries.

I'm about 3k miles short of completing my B2 seat to move onto the B1 which is my 2500 mile solo week. Jim and I would have gotten there but...lets just say some ball dropping, miscommunication, not having all the information left us sitting here and there which slowed us down. Oh well, can't stress over the things in life we have no control over.

I have a new trainer coming down today from the Seattle area that has graciously, (I am assuming) smile.gif agreed to take me out for my last week so I'll be meeting him and moving into his home on wheels later this afternoon or early evening, not sure yet.

More later when something interesting pops up.

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Just a quick update, running miles. Last week biggest so far at 6168 miles. It really has a lot to do with conditioning, getting used to being tired, driving at night, driving in varied conditions, conditioning your bladder to hold out for another couple hours, sleeping in a bouncing, moving, loud truck, sitting for long stretchs, and anything else you might think of.

This is most definitely the weed out phase because it will test all aspects of you!

Two nights ago, we had to turn around from Donner's Pass heading to Boise. Chains required, in almost June!! The problem when we went to install the chains, my trainer had been sold the wrong ones. Down and around we went which made for a crazy long trip! We had the appointment moved from 2100 to 2200/2300 window. We swapped seats along the hwy outside of Bend and rolled in at 2227 technically on time! Exhausted but exhilarating from having accomplished our goal.

That's it for now, will update later when this phase is coming to a close.

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Hey Dave, thanks! I'm heading out tomorrow morning, 4/27 with Jim Pickrell who apparently I am told gets his students through C and B seats very quickly so I'm guessing we'll be going non stop.

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

3 other students testing failed. One from the week before our class botched his 90. One of the other two used a couple pull ups to get his 90 in the box and when he did another pull up to adjust knocked over a cone I believe. And the other passed all his backing but when pulling out of the DMV testing center didn't pull out far enough and ran over the curb, automatic fail. She did take him through the rest of the course but informed him he failed when he got back to the testing site.

The real bummer about this is there are no other appointments this week and next week they are closed for training. Two so far have gone back out with their trainer's and won't be testing until the week of 5/6, ouch!

Best advice I can offer on backing from my very limited experience is: TAKE YOUR TIME. You are not under a clock, go slow, don't over think it, do what you've been practicing, make the minor adjustments necessary to walk it in the box. My first trainer constantly said, if you have the space, use it! Pull forward as far as necessary to get your set up where you need it.

Well, that's it for now.

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

As Matthew said above, ask questions, ask for more practice, ask for what you need.

While my 1st trainer stopped everyday to practice backing, the 2nd did not, we practiced one evening with a 40,000lb load 90 once and offset once. Everything seemed like a time crunch so I didn't get to back at any shippers or receivers, thus I did not feel confident in my skills so what did I do? I asked if I could get some more practice back at the yard and they made it happen. Did multiple 90's and offsets.

Off to DMV testing site. No 10 speed so tested in an automatic. I was a bit bummed about this but the more I thought about it, so what? Everything is going to automatics. If in the future I need it, I'll already have my CDL so all I'd need to do is the driving portion to remove the restriction.

I got the lucky draw for pretrip...the entire truck and trailer! 😂. The tester didn't want me going over every wheel and brake assembly. After doing the front one, she asked me the difference between front and rear tires, answer minimum 4/32 2/32 respectively.

Damn, I was going to make this short. Anyway, I nailed the pre-trip, nailed the in cab inspection and nailed the in cab brake test.

On to the backing: deep breath, you've visualized this for weeks now Kelly, you've got this!

Before starting I made sure the trailer was in the box, climbed in the cab and sighted a reference point for the 90 and offset. Pulled forward to the designated cone and backed in past the second set of cones, done.

90 degree, pulled out watching the track of my trailer and noticed black tire marks from all the ones that came before me. I simply followed my track back in, did one small pull up prior to going in the box to adjust more to a 45 and put it right in. Sighting my reference point, used one of my get out and looks to make sure I was where I needed to be, went to go back and sound the horn and she stopped me, saying you're good.

The offset, now that morning I practiced different from what I had been practicing, so I trusted the instructors as the practice pad was set up exactly like the testing pad. Hindsight, I should have done it my way. However, I took my time, used one of my pull ups to get more straight, began backing and was a nats ass from the edge of the cone, literally! I used my second pull up to adjust over and backed it right in to my reference point, sounded the horn and I was done. No points!

Now having done that, I wouldn't recommend what I did and use your G.O.A.L but with my reference point I felt 100% confident I was where I needed to be.

Off we went on the drive, so to keep this short, nailed that as well. No idea if I received any points, she didn't say but I passed all her tests and was done!!

Woot woot, have my CDL, officially hired, received my ID badge/key card and fuel card, now I wait for a trainer.

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Ok, I'm back to recap 4/7 to 4/23 Montana to south of salt lake, back north of salt lake, then through again to drive across I80 and Nevada to the Bay Area. From there, Central California to southern California, to East of LA then up to Bellingham. Over to Wenatchee down to Redding CA to switch me into another trainer's truck as first trainer was heading to AZ for home time. From there up to Tacoma area the next morning for early delivery the next day. I drove the Majority of miles but trainer took over so we didn't run my 70hr clock out. We got to a Wilson yard with 20 minutes of drive time remaining which brings us to 04/18. 4/19 To Toledo Oregon, then down to Corning CA. Off at 5:30am to get down to Redlands CA then up to Barstow, CA for a 34 hr reset. New trainer had been on vacation so he was not going to pick up any hours at midnight. With that being done, we left at 4am Monday to get to Missoula by Noon Tuesday. Monday we split our 14 hour clock running the rest of California, through Nevada, Arizona, Utah and finishing in Idaho Falls for the night. We made our appointment window arriving at 10:30am for a live unload that took about 3 hours. After, we headed to the yard where I got to do a few 90 degree practice backs. I found out I would be testing the next morning, Wednesday, 4/24.

As a side note, the 34 reset wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The 1st night is a normal night so really it's only a day and the next night. I went on a 8.3 mile desert hikes enjoying the blue skies and sunshine and got to meet a desert turtle, pretty cool!

Not sure how to attach a photo so hopefully the below link will work.

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  8 months ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

I wont bore you with the day to day so I'll be back in a few weeks with an update once I'm back to the yard to take CDL test.

Cheers!

Posted:  8 months ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

My best bit of advise from my own experience

1) What could go wrong? This can be anything from bumping into a truck while backing into a truck stop to tire blow outs etc. Ask yourself all the time what can go wrong right now?

2) How can I prevent this from happening? Obviously for the backing bump you want to get out and look. For tire blow outs you can check your tire pressure every morning during your pre-trip, etc.

3) When should I do this? The answer here is always right now. Do you're pre-trips every day, even when you don't think you need them. Always get out and look when you have even the slightest question as to if you're gunna hit something. And even sometimes when you think you have it perfectly in there.

Damn great advice Matthew, thank you for taking the time to post that! Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  8 months ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Day 6 So, I can fall asleep like a baby, which I did listening to classic rock...but staying asleep is a different story. Woke up at 3am ( the usual) and made my way out of my bunk at 3:30am. Was able to have my coffee and hang out in the drivers lounge and catch up on some emails. Now 6:50am and my trainer is still crashed out LOL. We'll figure out a routine for the next 3 weeks.

We did 262 miles to Idaho falls with some breaks in between to practice some backing. Nice to have the time to do that.

We stopped at Walmart, the funny thing about that is we took a wrong turn and ended up in the parking lot! Imagine that, an 80,000lb vehicle manuvering up the lane toward the store. Definitely some shocked looks on people's faces but all went well and got out of there with no issues.

Trainer is great, very patient and always looking for opportunities to educate me and guide me.

The shorter miles are good to get conditioned slowly as I usually jump in with both feet and I can see where that could be an issue out here trying to do too much to fast.

Tommorow should be 300+ to get to where we need to be for Monday delivery.

Thanks for tuning in and be safe out there.

Cheers!

Posted:  8 months ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Hey Matthew, thanks for the info. They certainly made it sound like a rule but it's all good for now as Ed prefers to drive during the day. It will be interesting to see if we drive as a team as I progress. He told me that's something he typically does not do. I'm good either way as I've said, his house his rules.

Posted:  8 months ago

Day 5

Arrived this morning and was told I'm heading out today!! But as it goes, we are waiting on an empty trailer which there is one, but it has a tractor under it and the keys have gone missing, apparently a truck from someone that quit?! 😂

We will be heading to three forks Montana.

My instructor, Ed, has a bit of experience considering he's trained close to 200 students with only 1 that didn't pass CDL on the first try so I'd say I'm in good hands.

Picked up my first load after driving about 200 miles at a seed company. Pulled around and did a straight easy back, total weight 79,800lb. We did a cat scale being concerned we were over but the drive axles and the trailer axles came in only 40lb difference at 33880 and 33840 with steer axles at 12080 so nothing to do here!

Pretty damn awesome!

Now, welcome to the suck...our delivery is in Utah 500+ miles not due until Monday morning so what's that...ahhh.... 250ish miles a day. Needless to say Ed is a little peturbed wondering what dispatch was thinking, but what you gonna do?

Cheers, Kelly

Posted:  8 months ago

Day 4

We will be out road driving today, skip bobcat directly to 53' trailer! Holeeeee shiz. Also we will practice more backing.

Funny how when asked are there any volunteers? Everyone looks around, I swear I gave everyone else a chance when we were asked, "who wants to drive"? but my hand shot up first. Grabbed the keys to a Pete, did the pre-trip, hopped up in the cab and....the battery was dead! LOL It's all good, got some jumper cables on her and after a bit fired right up. Humm, now for a trailer, off we went to hook up to one so I got to do that also.

We hit it all, dirt road, skinny road, railroad tracks, stop signs, stop lights, traffic, freeway and back. It was awesome!! It wasn't as nerve wracking as I thot it would be.

Turning comes naturally to me and up shifting no problem, need to definitely work on the down shifting but that seems to be the norm. I find it way easier to float the gears but we can't do that for the CDL test. The clutches are so sensitive you can pretty much look like your clutching then just shift. We'll see when I get another opportunity. Also did some 90° backing but want to do more.

They bbq'd hamburgers, hotdogs and sausages for lunch so I'm pretty sure everyone had food coma this afternoon.

One of the guys is already going out. They have a run to deliver tomorrow morning in Denver, so Darwin took him out for a road practice since he hadn't done it yet, nothing like jumping into the fire to learn.

Cheers!

Posted:  8 months ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Hey Chris, that sounds correct since wil-trans, Palmer, Wilson logistics are one in the same. No driving from 12am to 6am. However, I asked since I'm a morning person if I wanted to start at 3 or 4am was that ok? The answer was basically yes for 4am but a little him and haw about 3am. The impression I got is they don't want you starting at 10pm for example and driving through the night...training wheels, and getting acclimated.

I'm loving it and am impressed with Jim Palmer so I don't think you could go wrong.

Norwozzez

Also, my son is "C" seat if I am not mistaken, with Wil-Trans . I think he told me yesterday he can start driving at night. They were delivering fresh fruit from California to Chicago last night.

Anyway, thanks again.

Chris

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Day 3 04/03/2019

Van picked us up at 7am. This morning. So funny to arrive at 7:10 and still be sitting here an hour later... but it'll only be 20 minutes more. Haha. Ok, more time to review pretrip.

We signed our CDL school contract. Simply put, the cost is $3500 and at no time will $ be deducted from your pay. At 6 months $1750 is forgiven. At 12 months the remaining $1750 is forgiven. So stick around for a year and no cost to you. Even if you were to leave after 6 months, you'll only pay 1/2. Really very fair and one of the best agreements out there in my opinion, and a more than fair price for training when compared to others.

Overall so far, I am impressed. I like the small feel making it more personalized, you are you and not a number. Everyone is very friendly and encouraging.

The Wilson's (Father and son) we are told are very approachable and we are encouraged to stop in and say hi if they are here as they like to know there drivers.

More later as the day progresses.

About 1pm Darwin took us out for a pre-trip run through then into the truck to pull forward and straight back, then out to a 45 degree angle to back. Also had a student pull out to show the angle you'll want to take a picture of in your mind for the 90 degree back. I did all right as he helped me and wow, what a thrill! Oh yeah, the 2 students that had to still pass their permit test did it. We are still a group of 5.

And that concluded our day. Tomorrow out on the roads driving Cheers!

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Jim Palmer Wilson Logistics training Montana

Thanks Dave, that's some great stuff. Noticed that with Marc for sure. Haven't had much interaction with Darwin as he's doing onboarding. They must have drawn straws! 😂. That will change today since Marc is on vacation. Believe it will be Carina (spelling)? And Casey today.

Are you running regional or otr?

Cheers