Comments By TCB

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0932553001580928048-85924.jpg avatar
  • TCB
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Debunking some ethnic myths

American truckers are blessed at least twice: because they do what thay want and because they do it in such a great country. The cultural melting pot of America can be seen literally everywhere, and trucking industry is doubtless one of its brightest examples. There may be only a few truck makes on the road, but if one looks at people who drive these trucks, he will see dozens if not hundreds of ethicities, each one of them is a riddle because of language and cultur barriers, urban legends, and what not. Being a certified Russian driver (certified by life), I can start with myself: no, I do not wear flip-flops with socks, no Adidas pants, no gold chain, and I don't drink vodka. But what most Russian truckers really love and do it a lot - is black tea. Not from a tea bag, god forbid, which is most likely a reused tea, but real loose tea from India, sold in America by Arabs or Slavic people, brewed properly and consumed with sugar. I cannot imagine my day without 5-6 cups of tea...

0757717001630031198.jpg

Along with Ikra on toast.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Mom died tonight

Sorry to hear. Prayers for you and your family.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Considering a career in Redding CA

I drive Western 11 for Swift. I am usually out 4-5 weeks and home for about 2-3. Sometimes I get lucky sometimes , and get a 34 at home after delivering a load nearby. So, it doesn’t count as home time. I believe that Swift expects me out for at least 3-4. We get one day home for every 2,000 dispatched miles. Swift has a terminal in Willows. I get fiberglass insulation loads out of Willows and Shasta Lake sometimes. There is more regional stuff also. Sometimes picking up lumber products from the Sierra foot hills, and taking it to the LA area, then picking up from a Walmart warehouse in So Cal, and taking it to a Walmart warehouse in Red Bluff.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Need help with wiring my CB to the fuse box

You may also us an ac adapter cable made especially for cb’s. They are available at most truck stops.

Plugs into ac outlet

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Need help with wiring my CB to the fuse box

Posted:  4 months ago

If any of you are going down the siskyous mountaina

Lol, almost had a load going north through there. But, they took off of me. If you’re continuing South on the I-5, some of the rest areas are closed.

Posted:  4 months ago

I35E ramps closed!!!!!

I believe it only shows low clearances in the paid version. I think that routes in the free version are for four wheelers.

Posted:  4 months ago

Happy Father's Day, drivers....Thank you.

Thank you Miss Anne. And, may you have a wonderful day also.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

Hi everyone,

I made it to Lexington Park, Md. to visit our daughter and son-in-law for a few days with my wife. Great visit but weather is not co-operating very much with a lot of rain. We will be heading back to Max Meadows, Va. on Tuesday stopping in Powhattan, Va. to check out another RV park that we might be interested in for next year. We'll be in the Wytheville, Va. area until the end of the month of June if anyone passes thru I-81 exits 77-80 for a meet and greet if anyone wants to.

I finally got to change my avatar with my son-in-laws help from the one given at sign up here on TT to my Ram and 5th wheel. It's better looking than me anyway. Stay safe y'all and hope to meet more members from TT on our summer journey.

Even on vacation, you have to be doing something 5th wheel involved.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

How safe is it to stop in Laredo, TX?

I’ve been to Laredo several times. No issue. I’ve done a 34 at the Love’s on the west side and parked on a side street on the industrial side of town. No issues!!! The biggest issue in Laredo is nearly everything is cross docked. So if the Mexican trailer isn’t there, you are stuck sitting. Also, if you are with a company that sends it trailers across the border, you WILL be missing the glad hand seals on any trailer coming back from Mexico. Mexican drivers hoard them for some unknown reason.

I was going to mention the glad hand seal thing, lol. I always make sure I have extras if going to Laredo. Another thing that some companies require if you are dropping off a trailer to go across the border, is a trailer inspection report form. Basically, the companies want to make sure that the trailers comming back from Mexico are returned in the same condition, especially that the tires are in the same condition, and that newer tires are not changed out for older tires while down there. Ask you company if that is a requirement for you.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Heads up: Amazon Fulfillment Center FTW1, Dallas

Google review link:

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Heads up: Amazon Fulfillment Center FTW1, Dallas

I have passed this facility several times, and have noticed a line of trucks outside of the gate around 1/2 mile long, waiting to get in. Out of curiosity, I decided to look at Google reviews for this location. It doesn't look good. Drivers are reporting waiting for 20 hours or more to get unloaded. They can't sleep, because they have to be ready to move one truck at a time. They are having to violate HOS because they have to be ready to inch their trucks up at any given time. Their are no facilities until you get to the gate, and there appears to be just one porta potty. If you are dispatched here, it might be a thing to consider. The address is, 33333 Lyndon B Johnson Fwy, Dallas, TX. I hope this info is helpful.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Wait time...

Sometimes, if you accept dispatch for a live load or unload that is already late, you might miss your appt. time and have to wait. I had to wait five hours once, before they started loading me, because I accepted a live load that was running late, and I missed the appt time. Also, some shippers and receivers are on a first come first serve basis. So, even if you have an appt. time, you might want to check. Also, check google reviews of shippers and receivers. Sometimes, that information is in the reviews.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Wait time...

My personal record for a dry van unload was at a Meijer DC some place in Michigan: 14 hours in the dock!

Longest time at a shipper for a scheduled appointment was 28 hours. I picked up a trailer that was a full day behind being loaded.

For me pulling dry vans, anything having to do with a grocer warehouse/DC makes me cringe.

PackRat, is that's the one in Lansing, the one with the many angled parking slots in front of the gate, most of them filled with trucks waiting their turn? I've been to that one. The wait to get in through the gait was about an hour. Fortunately, mine was a d&h, and I was in and out quickly once through the gate.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

Moe,

I know how it is when money gets tight... If you will tell me how to get in touch with you I will send you a used truck gps..Rand Mcanally OD8PRO you will just need to get a mount for it, works good for me. I know how hard you have tried to get this going and will be glad to help, no strings attached! I purchased it for myself, then found another one for a good price, so now I have two, and only need one, it has the FM transmitter mount and charging cord just needs the suction cup. Has been updated as well. I was going to keep it for a backup but its yours if you can use it and will help you out! Itndoesmhave the built in cameras and sd card as well.

87Wrangler, that is very generous of you.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

City Traffic

Always remember spacing and speed in city driving. I have been driving in So Cal traffic for 30 years, two of them CMV. It still makes me nervous. But, I guess nervousness keeps me alert, and I never let my guard down. I am usually the slowest on the roads in cities. Even the other truckers are passing me. Just keep your spacing far and speed down. Like Andrey said, study the route beforehand, so that you will know which lanes to be in and when. Let your intentions be known early via flashers and turn signals.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

If you haven't gone solo or team yet, it's a good idea to sign up for the rewards programs from the major truck stops. That way, when you are asigned a truck, you will start collecting reward points with your first fueling. Even some mentors will allow you to use your rewards card when fueling their truck. These reward points can add up, and help you purchase items for your truck. It would take a very long time to save up enough points for a gps, but not too long for other items, such as a cb (another recommendation). The money saved for those items could be applied toward a gps.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Should I buy a GPS unit 🤔

Yes, you really should invest in a gps. Your company might advance you the money for purchase. A trucker specific gps can save you a lot of time and grief. Check with your company. Maybe they will be upgrading from a Qualcom to a tablet platform like many companies are. Maybe then, they will provide navigation. Even if they do, it is good to have a back up. If you are going to be driving back roads frequently, it will be very hard without a gps. If trying to save money, avoid eating out as much as possible. Hopefully, your truck will have a frig and inverter. You will save a lot of money preparing your own food. The amount of money that you save in one month of not eating out will help much in purchasing a gps.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Wrapped it up

Wishing you the best. I looked up Mayer, AZ on the map. It seems like a nice place, with it's 1,900 population and higher altitude. I am sure that you will enjoy. Like the others said, never hesitate about joining in a discussion here. Heck, it would be nice just to hear from you from time to time, even if it's not anything to do with trucking.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Greater discrepancy between dispatched and actual mileage

I have a dispatch from Bay Town TX. to Hurricane UT. Dispatch miles are 1361, but the route given to my by my Qualcomm is 1515 miles, which also includes pre determined fuel stops. My Garmin gave me a route of about 1620 miles. Google maps, car route is about 1396 miles. That's a difference of about 150 miles. My Atlas does show an alternative hwy., saving about 70 miles, but would take me off of my fuel route, and entail driving two lane back roads for about 380 miles with no fuel stops. It looks more treacherous, and according to google maps, would only save about 20 minutes driving by car. There must be a reason that my quallcomm and Garmin avoid that hwy. Should I expect to be compensated for the difference? It is a big difference. I have had many other dispatches with 40-60 miles discrepancies, and never said a thing. But, 150 miles is a lot, and it might keep me from making my fuel bonus. I have reached out to mu DM twice, via macros, with no response.