Profile For Penguin

Penguin 's Info

SC

Company Driver In Training

1 year ago

Penguin 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

In CDL school getting really discouraged, is it time to call it quits?

Zach, Don’t quit!!!! My experience was similar to yours. I also attended a private school. I had (and still have) challenges. The key is DO NOT GIVE UP. I failed my CDL test twice. I kept asking my school if can continue to “practice” with them. I passed my exam and I am now in TNT training with Prime. The most important thing I learned throughout my process was to NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!! Give yourself time to learn this industry. As my trainer would say “don’t be so hard on yourself”. I am half way complete with my TNT training. I keep telling myself “don’t give up”. Remember everyone learns’ at a different pace!

Good Luck, Penguin ~ Maureen

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Cell phone provider

Thanks for everyone’s reply. Currently I brought my own phone to Straight Talk. I have been very happy with them for the past 9 months. Never had any issue and I pay $60 a month for unlimited.

Now that I will start OTR, I will have to reconsider my provider.

Also, T-Mobile purchased Sprint, so I will also look into their service.

I have had Verizon in the past, they are more expensive. I will have to weigh my options and see if Verizon would fit into my budget.

Thanks again. 🤔

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Cell phone provider

What in your opinion would be a good cell phone provider for OTR?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Last week of 9 to 5.( Hopefully)

Ok Kelby maybe we will see each other in Springfield. I have a rental car reserved and will head out on Saturday from SC.

Thanks, Maureen

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Last week of 9 to 5.( Hopefully)

Kj B,

I too am starting with Prime on 8/17/20 for TNT training. I also experienced some of the same feelings. I pushed through them and just keep moving forward.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime Inc Lawsuit

The lawyers are the winners here. Not the drivers.

Agree wholeheartedly!!!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Truck Drivers Ages

I just obtained my CDL and I am a 56 (I don’t feel 56 lol ) year old female. I look at it this way: My mother is 85 and is still living. My grandmother died at the age of 95. So based on that information, I most likely still have many more years ahead of me. Might as well do something you are interested in.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime Inc Lawsuit

This lawsuit also applies to anyone going through CDL schooling at Prime from 2010 to 2020. We signed a contract agreeing to get the schooling for free if we stay a year. Our schooling with our permit includes driving the truck OTR with an instructor making deliveries. Although we were OTR and working, we didn't get paid.

So part of this suit is that the students were doing work and not getting paid. The $200 advance for personal needs is not considered wages. The lawyers argued that students should be entitled to all benefits of a company driver.

This is going to be distributed amongst 40,000 people over the last 10 years, in addition to the money given to the lease ops. Anyone expecting a huge payout can forget it.

And honestly, even if I am one of the so called winners, I will add it to the Meals on Wheels donations on my YouTube channel.

To answer the original poster..... I think we are automatically included.

I for one am offended to be included in such a suit. I had great CDL experience with a permit that exceeded what some companies give to CDL holders. It put me way ahead of some drivers. And having someone "fight for my rights" is like telling me I am too stupid to understand and agree to the contract I signed and agreed.

I don't mind being included in it. I had a somewhat decent experience. I had a good flatbed trainer and a decent reefer trainer. After training, I felt like I was just a number. I know that's how it is with all big companies, but I felt things could've been a little different.

I hated the fact that we weren't paid during the first part of training and had to repay the weekly $200. I don't know why Prime did that other than to save money.

I just found another article on the lawsuit. It says at least $14 million will be set aside to be distributed in full, with another $14 million available, depending on how many Prime drivers join the class-action settlement.

That right there tells me there may be something we may need to do to be included. Not sure though. It also states funds will be distributed based on tenure at the company and other factors. All members will receive atleast $100.

It may not be much but I was screwed over many times with Prime. My dispatcher would get my load wrong and I'd have to sit for a few days and he says he'll make it up. I get my check and there's an extra $20 on there.

Matthew, I attended a private school AND they did not pay me (lol). I actually paid them $4,500. And, the opportunity to make deliveries with my permit was not given.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Prime Inc Lawsuit

“Our schooling with our permits includes driving the truck OTR with an instructor making deliveries“

I recently received my CDL through a private school. Before I attended school I did my research in regards to private school vs “paid CDL training. Looking back now that I have more knowledge about obtaining a CDL, I realize that during my research I had what I call “tunnel vision”. I only compared the financial side. IF I had to do it over, I would choose the “paid CDL training” because I would have loved driving a truck and making deliveries with my permit. With my private school training that opportunity was not an option. I think that kind of opportunity for training is priceless.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tanker - Mega Carrier

Thank you for everyone’s reply. I will keep you up to date.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tanker - Mega Carrier

My reasons for choosing tanker are 1) I have always been interested in driving a tanker. 2) It would get me out of the truck more than dry van. 3) Normally a tanker doesn’t have to wait for hours to get unloaded etc.

I am seeking food grade tanker.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tanker - Mega Carrier

I know Schneider and Prime have a tanker division. Are there other Mega Carriers who have tanker division for someone with a CDL without experience?

Posted:  6 months ago

Who is more guilty

The PROFESSIONAL truck driver is.

Posted:  6 months ago

Third time is a charm!

I passed my CDL exam today!!! The third time IS a charm.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

In Private Trucking School

Kearsey,

Yes, I remember you actually spoke about your testing history on your YouTube channel (which I am subscribed to). Your YouTube channel has definitely helped me out.

Today, I practiced my backing maneuvers. My school is allowing me to practice with some of the other students who have also failed a test. That was actually a very positive experience today. One of the other students actually “coached” me through my rough spots. I had three turns today. My first turn was definitely what I call a warm up round (lol). I nailed all three maneuvers (straight line backing, off set and Parallel) for my other two rounds. The student who helped me was a pretty good “coach”. After today, I feel less anxious about my third CDL exam coming up next week. I know I will nail it.

Did you ever. See my testing history????? It will make you feel great!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Failing ?! What does that really mean?!

Banks,

Thank you for your kind words, and I look forward to those dancing bananas soon.

😀 Thanks, Maureen

In this career, there will always be roadblocks (no pun intended) and setbacks. Even the most experienced vet is learning something new all the time.

Many people fail that test the first couple of times for various reasons, the important thing is to think like a trucker, learn from it and build from there. No company will ask you how many times you took the test and it won't be printed on your license.

I applied to numerous paid training programs and the ones I really wanted told me no. The rest told me yes, but I declined for personal reasons. I could've quit there, but I found my current gig at FedEx freight. If you go back and look at my diary, you'll see that my training experience was more struggles and overcoming adversity than anything else. To this day, when I'm driving or backing I hear my instructor shouting instructions in my head and that's how I get though something that I feel would be impossible.

The only way to overcome obstacles is to stick with it and keep practicing to get better. Know what you did wrong and correct it on the next go round. There's a bunch of folks on here waiting to give you bananas and dancing dogs, just stick with it.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Failing ?! What does that really mean?!

As my previous post stated, I have failed the CDL exam twice. I could look at this in many ways. One, I could give up and erroneously tell myself this is not for me. However, I CHOOSE to push trough and not let this determine my goal outcome. How have some of you dealt with setbacks/roadblocks toward a goal you have had?

Thanks, Maureen

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

In Private Trucking School

Thank you.

Third time's the charm! You can do it!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

In Private Trucking School

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been thinking about my options and I am seriously considering attending Prime with my permit. My third CDL exam is two weeks away. If I am going to improve on my skills between now and then, I would have to practice. I don’t have any means of practicing between now and my next exam.

Yes, I will succeed at receiving my CDL, it might just have to be going through another school (at Prime). This is a setback for me, but if I know anything about the trucking industry, you must be flexible.

I truly believe everyone learns in different ways as is in my case with this opportunity.

Thanks, Maureen

Maureen,

For the time being, just focus on passing the test. And good luck.

However, below is a link of what to expect from Prime. The "seat classifications" are a little confusing, but they break down as follows:

CDL Holders coming to Prime are "E" seat drivers. If you pass the skills evaluation, you have 60,000 miles to complete with a trainer. If you don't pass the skills evaluation, you will enter the "D" seat program: essentially as if you don't have your CDL.

Non-CDL holders are "D" seat drivers.

To be clear, I am not trying to be a wet blanket. Prime is a great company and I've been very satisfied with them so far. However, I am simply pointing out that anyone who wants to drive for Prime should just go there as a non-CDL holder. If for no other reason than you have fewer TNT miles to complete as a non-CDL holder.

When I was in orientation, I was with two CDL holders who were preparing for the skills evaluation. While the skills evaluation is less involved than a full CDL test, Prime seems to have pretty high standards for their drivers. I was with two CDL holder in orientation, both of whom had driven for several years, had to raise their backing skills to those acceptable to Prime. One picked up quickly (the woman). The other one, balked at my suggestion to combine and offset left/right to reposition the truck for the next parallel parking practice. He just wanted to do it the simple way of backing up and then pulling through.

Also, when I was practicing parallel parking with my PSD trainer, he kept moving the cones closer. The test is 69 feet. He had moved them to 65 feet. The day before my CDL test, I was parallel parking into 61 feet. (Flatbed has 48' trailers for the test.)

Prime Seat Classifications

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

In Private Trucking School

OK, so I failed at my second attempt to pass the CDL exam. The first time a failed my air brake test (I was very nervous) and today I failed skills. It is very discouraging, however I will try again in two weeks. I am definitely wishing I would have taken the “paid CDL school” route at this point. But I am were I am and I will keep pushing through. Everyone learns differently. My plan is to go with Prime,Inc once I receive my CDL.