Alaska CDL Practice Test

We've broken our Alaska CDL practice tests into 16 categories which will cover the entire CDL permit exam, all of the CDL endorsement exams, and your job duties as a driver.

  • Alaska Driving Rules & Regulations

    Driving Rules And Regulations will cover the basics like who needs a CDL, CDL classifications, CDL reqiurements and disqualifications, and why special CDL endorsements are sometimes required.

  • Alaska Transporting Cargo Safely

    Transporting Cargo will cover the different terms related to truck and cargo weights, driver responsibilities regarding overweight trucks, the safe loading of cargo, and cargo securement.

  • Alaska Safe Driving

    Safe Driving will cover the basics of a pre-trip inspection, basic control and backing, speed and lane control, managing space around your vehicle, and driving in poor weather conditions.

  • Alaska Transporting Passengers

    Transporting Passengers is required for the passenger endorsement and will cover the basics of a pre-trip inspection for a bus, loading and securing passenger cargo, and school bus safety.

  • Alaska School Bus

    The School Bus Endorsement is required in some states for driving a school bus. This section covers loading and unloading passengers safely, bus inspection, and regulations for passenger transport.

  • Alaska Air Brakes

    Air Brakes will cover the various parts of an air brake system, air brake inspection, proper braking techniques, the differences between air brakes and hydraulic brakes, and stopping distance.

  • Alaska Combination Vehicles

    Combination Vehicles is a requirement for driving a tractor trailer and will cover combination vehicle air brakes, coupling and uncoupling trailers, and combination vehicle air brake inspection.

  • Alaska Doubles And Triples

    Doubles And Triples is an endorsement needed to pull double trailers or triple trailers and will cover coupling and uncoupling of doubles and triples, inspection, and air brake tests.

  • Alaska Tankers

    Tankers is a required endorsement to pull tanker trailers or large totes of liquid and will cover the pre-trip inspection of tankers, tanker loading, and safe driving for tankers.

  • Alaska Hazardous Materials

    Hazardous Materials is an endorsement required to pull hazardous cargo and covers labels and placards, loading and unloading hazardous materials, parking and routing, and emergency response.

  • Alaska Pre-Trip Inspection

    Pre-Trip Inspection will cover the inspection of the outside of the truck, the air brake system, inspection of the trailer, engine start and check, and driver responsibilities.

  • Alaska Driving Exam

    Driving Exam will cover the reqiurements for passing the CDL driving exam, the CDL driving exam scoring system, upgrades and downgrades, and the basics of the driving exam itself.

  • Alaska Logbook Rules

    Logbook Rules is not a requirement for the CDL permit or endorsements but it's critical for doing your job. This is a very thorough section which covers all of the rules governing the logbook.

  • Alaska Weight Distribution

    Weight Distribution is not a requirement for the permit or endorsements but is critical for doing your job. It will cover cargo loading, weight distribution, fuel calculations, and center of gravity.

  • Alaska Flatbed Cargo Securement

    Flatbed Cargo Securement is not required unless you're pulling a flatbed. This section covers tiedown components, securing devices, working load limits, and requirements for different types of freight.

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

Alaska CDL Resources

Here are more resources related to getting your CDL in Alaska:

Requirements to Apply for an Alaska Commercial Learner's Permit

You must be an Alaska resident at least 18 years old, have a current Alaska driver's license, and have held a driver's license for at least a year.

  • Documentation Needed
    • Proof of your Social Security Number
    • Your driver's license (You must have held a valid driver license for at least one year.)
    • Proof of your Legal name, Date of Birth and Citizenship (Examples listed below)
    • You must have a Medical examiner's certificate (also called medical card or DOT card)
    • An applicant must be at least twenty-one years of age to operate in interstate commerce or nineteen years of age to operate in intrastate commerce at the time of application
  • Completed DMV Forms
  • Tests Required

What are Alaska's Residency Requirements to apply for a Commercial Learner's Permit?

Alaska Requires One of the Following:

  • An original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate (From Vital Statistics)(Certified Informational Copies are NOT valid for identity purposes.)
  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  • A foreign passport with appropriate immigration status forms issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
  • A resident alien, temporary resident alien, or employment work authorization document issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization, or Birth Abroad
  • U.S. Military Identification for active duty, retiree or reservist. (Additional documentation is be required to prove citizenship and lawful status.)

What is the Cost to get an Alaska Commercial Learner's Permit?

  • Class A, B or C License - $100 for Traditional, $120 for Real ID (See more on Real ID below)
  • Instruction Permit for Class: IA, IB, IC, IE, IM, IP - $15
  • Instruction Permit Renewal - $5

What Information is on the Alaska Commercial Learner's Permit Test?

The minimum passing score for all knowledge tests is 80%. To obtain a passing score on the skill test, the applicant must demonstrate that he/she can successfully perform all of the skills required. Under Department of Administration regulation 2 AAC 90.420, the knowledge tests may be taken once per day until successful completion. The road skills test will be given to the applicant once he/she satisfactorily meets all other requirements.

You will have to take one or more knowledge tests, depending on what class of license and what endorsements you need. The CDL knowledge tests include:

  • The general knowledge test, taken by all applicants
  • The passenger transport test, taken by all bus driver applicants
  • The air brakes test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, including air over hydraulic brakes
  • The combination vehicles test, which is required if you want to drive combination vehicles
  • The hazardous materials test, required if you want to haul hazardous materials as defined in CFR, Title 49 ยง383.5. In order to obtain this endorsement, you are also required to pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check
  • The tank vehicle test, required if you want to haul any liquid or gaseous materials in a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis
  • The doubles/triples test, required if you want to pull double or triple trailers
  • The school bus test, required if you want to drive a school bus

Testing Locations and Hours

Alaska has many locations throughout the state that offer CDL testing. Visit the Alaska Department of Motor Vehicles website to get further location information. Most locations the ability to set online appointments. Also, if you live in rural Alaska, read below on the rural exemptions.

Commercial Medical Examination

  • Federal regulations require all commercial drivers participating in interstate commerce to complete a medical exam. You cannot drive a commercial vehicle and conduct interstate commerce without a valid medical card
  • All commercial motor vehicle drivers must have a physical performed by a medical examiner listed on National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners
  • Please ensure that your medical examiner completes the Medical Examiners Certificate

Military Test Waiver

If you are a service member, currently licensed, and drove a military motor vehicle equivalent to a commercial motor vehicle within the last year, you can apply for a CDL without taking a road skills test. You are still required to pass all knowledge tests. This waiver does not apply to school bus or passenger endorsements.

Requirements to receive a road skills test waiver:

  • 21 years old with a valid non-commercial driver license
  • A US citizen or non-US citizen with a valid permanent resident card
  • Two years commercial driving experience upon discharge from the military
  • A minimum two years good driver record immediately preceding CDL application date
  • Certification from your commanding officer with number of years of operating the vehicle and type of vehicle operated to determine appropriate CDL classification
  • Pass all knowledge tests

Complete the application for military skills test waiver (form 416). Page two of form 416 should be filled out and signed by your commanding officer. Bring this form with you when you apply for your CDL, it will substitute for the road skills test.

Rural Residents

Alaskans who live off the road system may be exempt from some requirements. When the United States Congress passed the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act, Alaska successfully petitioned the Federal Government for a skills (road) test exemption for rural commercial drivers. Alaska is the only State allowed to offer an Off-Highway license for commercial motor vehicle drivers.

If you are 19 years of age or older and have a held a license for one year, you can apply for an Off-Highway Commercial Driver License. You are required to:

  • Pass the written test (contact a Proctor in your area)
  • Pass a vision test
  • Pay the fee
  • Provide original legal documents verifying date of birth, social security number and identity
  • Provide proof of residence in qualifying Alaskan rural community
  • No skills (road) test is required endorsements other than School bus endorsement

Off-Highway Commercial Driver Licenses are only valid in the State of Alaska and only in specific communities listed on the Guide to Rural Driving. While there is no requirement for rural drivers to obtain an instruction permit, unless obtaining a school bus license or taking a skills test to remove an off highway CDL restriction 7, the Division of Motor Vehicles strongly encourages rural drivers to practice driving with a licensed driver.

Other Important Information

If applying for a REAL ID CDL, you must provide proof of your Identity, SSN, and residency from the list of acceptable REAL ID document options. A REAL ID can be used to board a domestic flight or enter a secure federal facility that requires identification, including after the new federal requirements begin on October 1, 2020. Get more information on the REAL ID here

Join Us!

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

About Us

TruckingTruth was founded by Brett Aquila (that's me!), a 15 year truck driving veteran, in January 2007. After 15 years on the road I wanted to help people understand the trucking industry and everything that came with the career and lifestyle of an over the road trucker. We'll help you make the right choices and prepare for a great start to your trucking career.

Read More

Becoming A Truck Driver

Becoming A Truck Driver is a dream we've all pondered at some point in our lives. We've all wondered if the adventure and challenges of life on the open road would suit us better than the ordinary day to day lives we've always known. At TruckingTruth we'll help you decide if trucking is right for you and help you get your career off to a great start.

Learn More