Arizona CDL Practice Test

We've broken our Arizona CDL practice tests into 16 categories which will cover the entire CDL permit exam, all of the CDL endorsement exams, and your job duties as a driver.

  • Arizona Driving Rules & Regulations

    Driving Rules And Regulations will cover the basics like who needs a CDL, CDL classifications, CDL reqiurements and disqualifications, and why special CDL endorsements are sometimes required.

  • Arizona Transporting Cargo Safely

    Transporting Cargo will cover the different terms related to truck and cargo weights, driver responsibilities regarding overweight trucks, the safe loading of cargo, and cargo securement.

  • Arizona Safe Driving

    Safe Driving will cover the basics of a pre-trip inspection, basic control and backing, speed and lane control, managing space around your vehicle, and driving in poor weather conditions.

  • Arizona Transporting Passengers

    Transporting Passengers is required for the passenger endorsement and will cover the basics of a pre-trip inspection for a bus, loading and securing passenger cargo, and school bus safety.

  • Arizona School Bus

    The School Bus Endorsement is required in some states for driving a school bus. This section covers loading and unloading passengers safely, bus inspection, and regulations for passenger transport.

  • Arizona Air Brakes

    Air Brakes will cover the various parts of an air brake system, air brake inspection, proper braking techniques, the differences between air brakes and hydraulic brakes, and stopping distance.

  • Arizona Combination Vehicles

    Combination Vehicles is a requirement for driving a tractor trailer and will cover combination vehicle air brakes, coupling and uncoupling trailers, and combination vehicle air brake inspection.

  • Arizona Doubles And Triples

    Doubles And Triples is an endorsement needed to pull double trailers or triple trailers and will cover coupling and uncoupling of doubles and triples, inspection, and air brake tests.

  • Arizona Tankers

    Tankers is a required endorsement to pull tanker trailers or large totes of liquid and will cover the pre-trip inspection of tankers, tanker loading, and safe driving for tankers.

  • Arizona Hazardous Materials

    Hazardous Materials is an endorsement required to pull hazardous cargo and covers labels and placards, loading and unloading hazardous materials, parking and routing, and emergency response.

  • Arizona Pre-Trip Inspection

    Pre-Trip Inspection will cover the inspection of the outside of the truck, the air brake system, inspection of the trailer, engine start and check, and driver responsibilities.

  • Arizona Driving Exam

    Driving Exam will cover the reqiurements for passing the CDL driving exam, the CDL driving exam scoring system, upgrades and downgrades, and the basics of the driving exam itself.

  • Arizona Logbook Rules

    Logbook Rules is not a requirement for the CDL permit or endorsements but it's critical for doing your job. This is a very thorough section which covers all of the rules governing the logbook.

  • Arizona Weight Distribution

    Weight Distribution is not a requirement for the permit or endorsements but is critical for doing your job. It will cover cargo loading, weight distribution, fuel calculations, and center of gravity.

  • Arizona Flatbed Cargo Securement

    Flatbed Cargo Securement is not required unless you're pulling a flatbed. This section covers tiedown components, securing devices, working load limits, and requirements for different types of freight.

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

Arizona CDL Resources

Here are more resources related to getting your CDL in Arizona:

Requirements to Obtain an Arizona Commercial Learner's Permit

If you are a first-time CDL applicant, you must obtain a CDL instruction permit to operate a vehicle requiring a CDL on the highway. The CDL instruction permit is valid for six months. The minimum age for a CDL is 21. If you are at least 18, you may apply for an intrastate CDL that is valid only in Arizona. Drivers under the age of 21 are prohibited from transporting hazardous materials.

  • Documentation
    • Properly completed Medical Examiner Certificate or ADOT card (available at any CDL office). More information on medical exam below.
    • Social Security card
    • Valid operator license
    • Proof of identification/residency (More information on acceptable forms below.)
  • Proof of One Year of Driving Experience in a Vehicle Other Than a Motorcycle.
    • For drivers with an Arizona license, this information is already available in the database. For out-of-state applicants, your out-of-state license must have been issued more than one year ago or you must provide a motor vehicle record (MVR) issued by another state that is less than 30 days old and shows proof of at least one year of driving history. No third-party MVRs will be accepted.
  • Successfully Complete All Applicable Knowledge Testing.
    • The manual is available online or at any CDL office
    • For CDL offices outside the Phoenix and Tucson metro areas, an appointment is required to take the knowledge tests.
    • You must pay for the class of license prior to taking the test
    • A Class C CDL must include a Passenger or HazMat endorsement, although, only those applying for a Class C with a Passenger endorsement will be issued a permit. Class C permits can not be issued with a HazMat endorsement.
    • To add a passenger and/or school bus endorsement, you must obtain a CDL instruction permit with the passenger and/or school bus endorsement for the class of bus you intend to drive. Then, you must take CDL pre-trip, basic controls and road/skills tests in the appropriate class of bus/school bus.

What are Arizona's Identification/Residency Requirements to apply for a Commercial Learner's Permit?

Arizona law and FMCSA regulation 49 CFR 383.71 require that you submit proof that your presence in the United States is authorized under federal law.

  • You need at least two documents listed – one must have a clear photo of you
  • Or three documents listed with no photo
  • One must be listed under the Primary column (Examples are a birth certificate or US Passport
  • Examples from the Secondary column include voter registration card, electric bill, drivers license
  • All must be originals or copies, in English, certified by the issuing agency
  • Click here for a full list of acceptable forms of identification

What is the Cost to get an Arizona Commercial Learner's Permit?

  • Class A or B
    • Permit: $25
    • Doubles/triples trailers endorsement: $10
    • Tank endorsement: $10
    • Hazardous Materials: $10
    • Motorcycle endorsement: $ 7
    • School bus endorsement: No fee
    • Passenger endorsement: $10
  • Class C
    • Permit: $12.50
    • Motorcycle endorsement: $7
    • School bus endorsement: No fee
    • Passenger endorsement: $10
    • Class C must have a Passenger endorsement, Hazardous Materials Not Allowed

Commercial Medical Examination

Arizona requires all CDL or CLP drivers, including those in the military, to keep a current Medical Examiner Certificate on file with MVD. The Medical Examiner Certificate is to be renewed every 24 months or sooner, as determined by the medical examiner or by regulation. Failure to maintain a current certificate on file with MVD will result in the suspension and revocation of your CDL. A CDL holder that remains suspended or revoked for 12 months or more will be required to retake all CDL written, vision, and demonstration ‐ skill tests, submit the medical examination form and pay all applicable fees.

The Medical Review Program helps ensure that CDL drivers meet Federal Regulation 49 CFR 391.41 Physical Qualifications for Drivers and CFR 391.43.

All commercial motor vehicle drivers must have a physical performed by a medical examiner listed on National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners

The DOT Medical Examination Report (long form) or the Medical Examiner Certificate (cert card, or short form) are reviewed for completeness and to ensure the medical examiner has qualified the driver according to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Regulations. Required forms can be found here under Commercial Driver License.

Testing Locations and Hours

  • Northern Region
    • Flagstaff 1851 S Milton Rd, 928‐779‐7513
    • Holbrook 2108 E. Navajo Blvd, 928‐524‐5586
    • Kingman 3670 E Andy Devine, 928‐681‐6398
    • Prescott 1105 Commerce Drive, 928‐777‐5978
    • Show Low 161 E Deuce of Clubs, Ste B ‐ 4, 928‐532‐5566
  • Southern Region
    • Tucson 621 E 22nd St, Written tests: M ‐ F 8 ‐ 3, 520‐628‐5857
    • Casa Grande Wednesdays only 8 ‐ 3 (information only after 2:30 PM) 240 W Cottonwood Ln, 520‐628‐5857
    • Sierra Vista CDL Tuesdays only 8 ‐ 3 (information only after 2:30 PM) 5224 E Charleston Rd, 520‐628‐5857
    • Safford CDL Thursdays only 8-2:30 (Information only after 2:00) 310 W. Main Street, 520-628-5857
    • Yuma M ‐ F 8 ‐ 5 (Information only after 4:30 PM) 2165 E Gila Ridge Rd, 928‐317‐2027
  • Central Region
    • Goodyear M ‐ F 8 ‐ 5 (Information only after 4:30 PM) 14370 W Van Buren St, Written tests: M ‐ F 8 ‐ 3, 602‐771‐2955
    • Mesa Southeast M ‐ F 8 ‐ 5 (Information only after 4:30 PM) 4123 E Valley Auto Dr

What Information is on the Test for the Arizona Commercial Learner's Permit?

Knowledge tests are taken on computer and require a minimum score of 80 percent to pass the exam. Applicants are required to wait until the next business day to retake any tests. NOTE: Once you have answered 80 percent of the test questions correctly, or once you have missed the maximum amount allowed, the test will automatically stop.

You will have to take one or more knowledge tests, depending on what class of license and what endorsements you need. The CDL knowledge tests include:

  • The general knowledge test, taken by all applicants
  • The passenger transport test, taken by all bus driver applicants.
  • The air brakes test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, including air over hydraulic brakes.
  • The combination vehicles test, which is required if you want to drive combination vehicles.
  • The hazardous materials test, required if you want to haul hazardous materials as defined in CFR, Title 49 §383.5. In order to obtain this endorsement, you are also required to pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check
  • The tank vehicle test, required if you want to haul any liquid or gaseous materials in a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis
  • The doubles/triples test, required if you want to pull double or triple trailers
  • The school bus test, required if you want to drive a school bus

How many Tries do I have to Pass the Arizona Commercial Learner's Permit Test?

CDL Knowledge (written) Tests: Upon payment of all applicable fees, you have three attempts to pass the knowledge tests, within 12 months from the date of the application. For a multipart test, if you fail a section but pass another, you receive credit for the passed sections and do not have to repeat them. After three failed attempts to pass the remaining sections of the test, you must pay for a new application. If you also applied for endorsements, you have three attempts to pass each endorsement test.

How long is the Commercial Learner's Permit Valid?

The CDL instruction permit is valid for six months. It can be renewed one time, provided it has been fewer than 12 months from the initial application date.

Military Test Waiver

If you are a CDL holder on active duty serving in the United States Armed Forces, including a member of a National Guard or Reserve unit, you may be granted an exemption from the five-year license renewal requirement.

To request this exemption, you (or a designee) must provide MVD with a legible copy of the military orders that show the effective date and the length of the service member’s deployment.

  • CDL Military Exemption
  • Motor Vehicle Division
  • P.O. Box 2100
  • MD 813Z
  • Phoenix, AZ 85001
  • Fax: 623.932.7758
  • Email:

CDL holders granted an exemption will be allowed to renew their credential up to 60 days after the end of their deployment date. To inquire on the status of their request, customers or their designee may contact the Goodyear CDL office by email or by phone at 602.771.2955.

Join Us!

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

About Us

TruckingTruth was founded by Brett Aquila (that's me!), a 15 year truck driving veteran, in January 2007. After 15 years on the road I wanted to help people understand the trucking industry and everything that came with the career and lifestyle of an over the road trucker. We'll help you make the right choices and prepare for a great start to your trucking career.

Read More

Becoming A Truck Driver

Becoming A Truck Driver is a dream we've all pondered at some point in our lives. We've all wondered if the adventure and challenges of life on the open road would suit us better than the ordinary day to day lives we've always known. At TruckingTruth we'll help you decide if trucking is right for you and help you get your career off to a great start.

Learn More