The Complete Guide To A Career In Trucking

How do I know if I need a CDL?

road sign with a question mark

For our purposes here, most drivers will be interested in driving your every day, average tractor-trailers requiring a CDL Class A license.

There are, however, various types of circumstances and vehicles that will require either a lower class of CDL, or not require a CDL at all.

Those in the farming industry, military, or emergency response fields may not be required to have a CDL.

What kinds of vehicles require me to have a CDL?

You will be required to have a CDL in order to operate any of the following types of vehicles. Keep in mind that each individual state may have different rules and definitions:

  • A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
  • A combination vehicle with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, if the vehicle(s) being towed is over 10,000 pounds.
  • A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver).
  • Any size vehicle which requires hazardous material placards or is carrying material listed as a select agent or toxin.

What do the different CDL classes mean?

The FMCSA defines 3 different classes of CDL, depending on what definition the CMV meets:

  • Class A:

    Any combination vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs or more, with the vehicle being towed weighing more than 10,000 lbs.

  • Class B:

    Any single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,001 lbs., or combination vehicle as such towing less than 10,000 lbs.

  • Class C:

    Any single or combination vehicle that is not classified under either Class A or B, but is designed to carry either placarded hazardous materials or 16 or more passengers, including the driver.

What types of vehicles are exempt from the driver needing a CDL?

Drivers operating emergency response vehicles or snow and ice removal vehicles are generally exempt from needing a CDL. Most military drivers are also exempt from the requirements, with the exception of the U.S. Reserve.

Operators of farm vehicles that meet certain criteria do not need a CDL. They must be driving a vehicle specifically used for farming, not be driving for a carrier, and stay within 150 miles of their farm.

Why Join Trucking Truth?

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training