There was an accident at the truck driving school today!
Oh, I can't believe my husband's been gone less than a week, it feels like a month! Usually time goes by so quickly but now it's just dragging, even though I've been ridiculously busy.
It makes me sad when I talk to him lately, he's not himself at all. He seems disinterested in what I say sometimes, he's always preoccupied and distracted. I suppose he's just focused like a laser-beam on the intense CDL training. I know he has to be, or he'd be lost. And he did apologize for being so hyper and cutting some of our calls short, and I understand. But I also miss him terribly (the "regular" him) and I'll be glad when the trucking school part of this is over with.
He only called me twice today. He was going to call again but, when I called him, he said he forgot! How could he forget? Talking to him is the highlight of my day and I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for my phone to ring (actually, it plays a Black Sabbath song).
I also got upset when he said it felt like he was partly on vacation...nice. That annoys me because I NEED a vacation. Made me feel like shopping (but I fought that urge and did not). On the other hand, he did say that his room feels like a modified jail cell, complete with steel beds. I'm glad he's suffering. ;) Just kidding.
- He never did get a tour of the place, and is still discovering new stuff in bldg. He missed his first business call at home today, but it was only a small job we lost.
- He says he probably didn't need quite as many socks/underwear (my bad). Well, if he's not changing them that often, then I'm glad that I'm here and he's there! ;)
- Between 1/3 to 1/2 of his original CDL class are gone, with more leaving every day (he lost track). But I found out something very interesting: He was told that they do not charge you any tuition if you drop out or are sent packing during the school part of this, only once you get a CDL and go out with the trainer. I hope that's true, it only seems fair.
- He was offered a flexible, accelerated program, for those who already have some truck driving experience, and he could have gone out with a trainer already today. But he decided that he wants to stay with the "regular" class, and learn as much as he can at a slower pace, even though he said he's bored some of the time.
- The very few who are still failing their CDL permit tests are being held back for more training, and will be delayed a week behind everyone else (but at least they didn't send them home).
- Some of his school mates are a draftsman from California, an EMT from New Mexico, and someone all the way from Hawaii.
- He claims he hasn't been eating much and says he's only spent around $50 so far...we'll see when I check the balance online. J
- Apparently the DOT comes to the school and gives some of the tests separately (pre-trip inspection, backing, etc. and they have 2 or 3 chances to pass). That seems like cheating to me. Then they are supposed to go out on the road to practice next week and get their CDL's by Friday. I am shaking my head here because he keeps telling me about all the people who are completely uncomfortable in those trucks and have no idea what they're doing yet. They won't be ready to pass a test in only a week, and they shouldn't be! He said they delay it for some people. Still shaking my head...