What Do New Truck Drivers Need To Know About the DOT Physical and Blood Pressure?
Even if your BP is high, as long as it's effectively managed it won't necessarily prevent you from being a truck driver. See: Hypertension
Your blood pressure must be BELOW 140/90, with or without medication, to drive a CMV.
What Are The Blood Pressure Limits For The DOT Physical? What If My Blood Pressure Is Too High?
- Your blood pressure needs to be under 140/90.
- Stage 1 hypertension , blood pressure between 140/90 - 159/99: 1-year medical certificate, must be renewed every 12 months.
- Stage 2 hypertension , blood pressure between 160/100 - 179/109: 3 month medical certification. Full disqualification if not under control after 3 months, until controlled. Will be required to renew every 12 months.
- Stage 3 hypertension, blood pressure at or over 180/110: Automatic disqualification, 6 month certification once blood pressure is under control, must be renewed every 6 months.
- Blood pressure can be controlled with or without medication.