Comments By John B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0175752001611537800-100369.jpg avatar
  • John B.
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
  • Comments:

Prime PSD Day 1 1/25/21

Long day, always have trouble sleeping the first night in hotel. The day started at 6 AM at the terminal, where I turned in my med card birth certificate Social Security etc. and my second application. After they collected everything Richard went through the list and make sure everybody had the proper endorsements and what division we were going into, I ended up going flatbed. Other than that it was a list of 46 computer based training is you have to go through, you can take breaks and the food at the café is pretty good. Only problem I’m having right now is my recruiter called me over my criminal background check. I was completely honest and let them know I did get into some trouble 27 years ago and I quote my recruiter, “this should not be a problem but a supervisor is ****ing me off and wanting more info”. While I was on the phone with him he found on your employee the information he needed from the Florida databases. Course that upped my blood pressure and freaked me out a little because I always hope for the best but I do expect the worst. He does not for see any problems they were worried about my twic card but right in their regulations they only go back 7 years. I then had to write a email stating what the charges were, what was my part to play in it, and my punishment. I got unsupervised probation and he said that’s the best outcome other than being found not guilty because they show it’s not a serious issue. Got back to the hotel about 4:30 PM and I am now setting to memory the pre-trip inspection. If you come to this terminal you will know Richard well and as of this date they have a 98% pass rate, the other 2% just can’t push through the mental blocks. They are pushing really hard for the pre-trip inspection because that is the one that they are doing the worst on, and were the most fails on first attempt come from. I am going to go grab something to eat read over the pre-trip for another hour until I can’t see straight and finally try to get some sleep tonight. If anybody she is coming here feel free to ask questions though I can only give my experience.

Prime PSD day 0 1/24/21

Starting PSD orientation tomorrow the 1/25/21. Figured I would give a covid style diary. Arrived in Pittston this afternoon beautiful drive through the mountain. Checked in to the Holiday inn express and was pleasantly surprised, it’s a nice room with a Walmart next door, only had to show ID no deposit or cc# needed. Once i was checked in they gave me a folder with paperwork to fill out. There is a new application along with a covid questionnaire. I recommend bringing a copy of your electronic app so you can just copy everything over so they match. Along with the usual clothes and such I picked up an accordion file that zips closed. I brought:

1) birth certificate/ ssn card 2) med card and long form 3) 10 years of W2s 4) 6 months of paystubs 5) a flash drive with 10 years of taxes, w2s, and paystubs as a back up 6) An affidavit from my Dr that I am being treated for high blood pressure and it’s under control

I know they will probably not need all that but I would rather be safe than sorry. Always prepared. I brought a Roku stick with me so I am gonna kick back and relax. I will start a new entry tomorrow night with all that happened.

Think of anything else

Rob do you know how to do that off Pulse from tenstreet. Can find away to download my app

Hey all leaving for Pittston for psd on Sunday. I have

Cdl/med card with long form 6 months printed pay stubs 6 years w2s and taxes printed (don’t have one w2) Flash drive with 10 years taxes, 3 years paystubs, and w2s Certified birth certificate and SSN card Affidavit from my dr that bp meds are cleared by dot and bp is controlled Affidavit that I was on Percocet in October for injury but healed and no longer taking or prescribed.

Am I missing anything or does anyone recommend adding something to my binder to take.

Print off your online application. You will fill out another paper application. It's a lot easier just to pull out the online application and just go through and fill out paper application that you'll fill out as part of orientation. Also prevents any issue of discrepancies in answers which will put a red flag up for prime

Think of anything else

Original social card actually got a new one because mine was ratty. I have two medium duffles and a back pack. I’m driving up so I can leave what I don’t need or my trainer says in my personal truck. 7-10s of underwear and sock along with jeans tshirts and button downs for orientation. My steel toes, crocs, and sneakers

Think of anything else

Hey all leaving for Pittston for psd on Sunday. I have

Cdl/med card with long form
6 months printed pay stubs
6 years w2s and taxes printed (don’t have one w2)
Flash drive with 10 years taxes, 3 years paystubs, and w2s
Certified birth certificate and SSN card
Affidavit from my dr that bp meds are cleared by dot and bp is controlled

Va DOT physical blues

I just went through some of this and Kearney talked me off the ledge. I have to take a sleep apnea test and Prime is having me do it with them. I know concentra will push you towards their at home test and charge 250 for it. Talk to the companies first, per my Prime recruiter they will not accept at home test. The reason is some driver have someone else in the house wear it. I don’t have symptoms but if I do have it this will only make me healthier.

Felony Conviction

This is right off the dot website Question 2: Is a driver who has a CDL and has been convicted of a felony disqualified from operating a CMV under the FMCSRs?

Guidance: Not necessarily. The FMCSRs do not prohibit a driver who has been convicted of a felony from operating a CMV unless the offense involved the use of a motor vehicle, either a CMV or a non-CMV. (Table 1 to § 383.51(b)).

Felony Conviction

It really depends on the age of the conviction and the company. I have an arson 28 years ago when I was 22. It sounds worse then it was. I was honest with all my recruiters and got offers with Wilson, Roehl, and Prime. I start at prime on the 25th. It may cause you issues but federal dot looks mainly at federal charges not state. As soon as they found out I had unsupervised probation as a punishment and it was literally a dumb drunk farm kid thing I was ok. I may have issues with hazmat endorsements but not worried about it.

3 month card, now companies are walking

Just got off the phone with my Prime recruiter. I’m officially starting with Prime on the 25th. They wouldn’t have even accepted the outside sleep apnea test.

3 month card, now companies are walking

Thanks again everybody. I spoke with my family doctor and she is clueless as to why I only got a three month card. You need to have actual symptoms of sleep apnea along with the neck size. But on a positive note just knock the CLP out of the park for for for 100% general knowledge, airbrakes, combination, and tanker

3 month card, now companies are walking

Really? I hope so, going to take my CLP test now. Thanks for all the info and videos Kearsy, hopefully we will cross paths at terminal one day and I can thank you as a fellow Prime driver

Just got done with my physical to get my clp but they only gave me a 3 month card and brochure for a sleep apnea study. Wilson and Roehl have pulled back there offers and I am sure Prime will too. Sleep like a baby every night but this damn dr swears I must have apnea because of my neck is over 17 inches. It was stressful enough changing careers now this. Sorry had to rant, now back to your normal broadcast.

Prime will send you to their own doctor then have you get the sleep test done at a lab in their terminal. They advance the payment to the sleep people then take it from you weekly once you get the CDL.

Dont sweat it.

3 month card, now companies are walking

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

One more question for now

After talking to people I am leaning towards Prime. Any prime drivers I do have a question? My recruiter sent me all the paperwork to sign to have all the background checks done. I was honest with him and told him I got into a little trouble 30 years ago when I was in my very early 20s he said that was so long ago and I haven’t done anything wrong since they weren’t worried about it. They said I was approved for orientation I just have to go get my DOT physical and CDL permit on Monday and pay $100. As I’m changing careers this is very stressful and I don’t want to be without a job since I am preapproved they have already looked at everything and decided I am OK to drive for Prime? Or can I still be sent home the first day of orientation?

3 Choices

Thank you. Roehl seems the best home time I would like I said I know my first year’s gonna be tough. I’m changing careers I’ve been with the same company for 20 and I’m pushing 50 years old and climbing telephone poles it’s getting harder to do each day. I came to the realization that I need to start acting my age a little and truck driving Will give me the benefit of not being crippled when I’m 55. I did see the dedicated routes for roehl that the others weren’t offering, but like I said this is a new career and I’m not looking to jump ship after my contract if I can stay with the same company for years I will. It seems like after they pulled my work history every company was chomping at the bit because I stick with what I do.

I ran Delaware all the time for Roehl. We covered a Kraft plant down in Dover...as well as a logistics warehouse down in Hurlock, MD

I went through Roehls CDL school in October 2014. Went from school right in their Kraft Dedicated account out of Winchester Va.

All three would be great companies with which to start your career. A lot depends on what you are looking for to start your career.

One of the things Roehl offered was attractive hometime. On the dedicated account I was home weekly for my reset. If I needed extra days, I would stay out a weekend and earn the day.

Good luck moving forward.

Tim

3 Choices

Hey everyone. So I have received 3 offers for cdl school. Prime Wilson and Roehl. I live in Delaware and trying to figure out which is best for my location. My family and I understand the first OTR year will be the hardest and I have earn my stripes. I’m a lineman now so I do know what it’s like being a rookie in a dangerous job. I understand every company has its pros and cons and have sucked up every piece of info I can find on here, just looking for some current opinions.

Worried about cdl training

Just talked with both my recruiters. Prime is exactly what Rainy said. Roehl said all this is hammered out before I drive out and the majority of people that claim it was apnea or something other than their own bad attitude or lack of drive is usually bs.

Worried about cdl training

I am on a low dose of lisinpril. Without the med I am under the 140/90 limit. My doctor didn’t want it to become a major problem. I have already lost 26 pounds so I won’t be on it forever.

Worried about cdl training

Thank you so much. Guess it’s nerves starting a new career.

I just called Cardinal Sleep who handles the apnea test in the Prime terminal. When you get your physical you will be given a 3 months DOT card to use with your permit IF you meet the criteria for the test. Once you get the CDL, prime pays Cardinal in advance, then withdrawals the money in weekly payments from your wages. If you need the machine the same is done. You won't be sent home.

If you pass the apnea test and have no other issues you will be given a 2 year card. However if you gain weight by the 2nd year....they will make you get another test

Worried about cdl training

Hey all, little back story. I have worked telcom for the past 18 years and climbing telephone poles has taken its toll. I have always love trucking, my father was a terminal manager for Anchor Motor back in the day. I tore my MCL six months ago and the orthopedic doc has definitely put an expiration date on my current career. Even my personal physician says that truck driving maybe the job for me now at 50. I’ve had two tentative offers with Roehl and with Prime. However after reading the forms and the Internet I’m nervous about the sleep apnea test. I know I’m overweight and need to lose some, my neck size is big but it has always been that way I’m a big guy, I just don’t want to quit my job get to these training facilities and be sent home and left high and dry without employment. I’m in decent health blood pressure was a little high but I’m on medication for that. My last round of blood work came back normal with my physical from my family doctor so I’m not worried about that. But driving from Delaware out to Wisconsin just be told to go home would be devastating for family for something my own doc isn’t worried about. And I know prime will make me pay $600 for a sleep apnea test before they let me test for my CDL if I go with them now I know tax returns are coming so that would be able to cover it. Maybe I’m just worried about stepping out into the unknown can anybody help me?