Profile For Vicki M.

Vicki M.'s Info

LAS VEGAS, NV

Rookie Solo Driver

Vicki M. On The Web

1 year, 8 months ago

Vicki M.'s Bio

Long time casino worker looking for a career change, 53 years old, 4 dogs and 2 cats, 1 son (grown), and 1 husband

Vicki M.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

That's a stunning one, Vicki.

Bliss Idaho. It was… wait for it… blissful lol

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

0553698001662665621.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Putting Your Seat Belt in the door handle when you sleep

I won’t strap or seatbelt my doors. How would you get out in an emergency, like a fire? (On my mind since my friend’s truck just burnt to the ground. She’s fine. She saved her phone). In the year and a half I’ve been out no one has even knocked on my door. I have a yapping dog and can fully protect myself.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Meal prep on the road.

I have a freezer, cooler and fridge. I cook most of my meals on a George Foreman grill, a crockpot, microwave and an induction hot plate. I do my best to never eat fast food but will splurge for a regular sit down restaurant when I find one.

Jim Palmer was bought out by Wilson and then by Ashley. I did my training with them and am still with them over a year later. They have their flaws but they have their perks too, like any company in any field.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

I-15 Southbound delays coming into California - FYI

It’s a bridge down by Nipton, so approximately 45 miles south of Vegas. Good news, though, all lanes are supposed to be open by this weekend. https://www.ktnv.com/traffic/temporary-repairs-should-keep-southbound-i-15-lanes-open-over-labor-day-weekend?fs=e&s=cl

Posted:  1 month ago

Might get a dog in the truck.

Ok Vicki M. I must see pics of said pug!

0626622001661573099.jpg

The pug Amadeus died two yrs ago. The puggle is 14 still goin!

Too cute! This is my copilot, Miss Piggy. We call her The Pig lol

0343392001661583422.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

Might get a dog in the truck.

I have 4 dogs. I have had all of them on the truck at one time or another. Only 1 at a time. I have two large dogs (pit/shepherd mix and a black lab). They both shed way too much and were hard to get in and out of the truck (they are older so I wouldn’t let them jump). Also the shepherd was too over protective of me and made guard shacks a lot of fun. My medium size mutt (Rottie/shepherd/chihuahua mix) was terrified of all the truck noises and cowered in the bunk the whole week.

By far, my best copilot has been my pug. Minimal shedding, she sleeps all day. Less food and no problem to get in and out. She also doesn’t bark and when she does it’s a lot quieter.

Mostly it seems to depend on the dog’s personality. Be prepared to stop a lot more often. The biggest piece of advice I can give is make sure you get them chipped and update it all to you and have an emergency person or two. I got sick and pulled off my truck in an ambulance. My dog ended up in the pound and had the chip not pointed back to me, I’d have never got her back.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Recruiters

Hey all! It’s been a minute since I have posted. Things are going well and I am quickly my 1 year solo date. That is when my contract is up. I am not unhappy with my current company but want to look around a bit to see if I can find something that either keeps me closer to home or pays more money. In a perfect world, both. But I am in no rush to leave Ashley PNW (formerly Wilson). We are treated well and the pay is decent.

I have NO experience talking to recruiters in this industry. When I first started, I did a ton of research on this site and others, made one phone call and it was done. So to make a long story shorter, I am not sure if what I just ran into is typical in this industry.

I live in Las Vegas. I understand that we are a consumer city and have very little product being shipped out. I know that’s why plenty of companies hesitate to hire from there. One large carrier told me I could expect to get home once every 2 months. That doesn’t work for me. Then I found it. The Holy Grail. Or so I thought.

Company based in southern Utah. 125 drivers. 3 generation family owned and has been in business 75 years. Offers OTR, regional (I15 corridor with occasional jaunts to TX and Ok), and there’s even a couple salaried positions shuttling trailers from Las Vegas to Barstow and back. Only negatives I could find in reviews were “low pay” and inward facing cameras. I don’t care so much about the cameras (safety will want therapy and a raise if they see me nekkid lol) but let’s see how low the pay is.

I called their recruiter and got what I assume is the standard speech about how great they are, we treat you like family etc. Nice enough guy, but then he’s paid to get me to sign up. I asked about pay and I was told he couldn’t tell me until I applied, since he didn’t know which job I was applying for. Ok. Weird. But ok. He told me he wouldn’t request my MVR so my current employer wouldn’t know I was looking elsewhere. (I’d already told him I wouldn’t be available until at least late September because I wanted to finish out my contract and give 2 weeks notice) Ok. I sent in my app and an hour later I’m getting requests for me to approve requests for my clearinghouse and MVR. My thought tended toward the idea that they needed to know if I was hireable before they wasted their time. I approved them and called him back the next day.

I asked a few other questions I thought of and asked about pay again. He said with bonuses regional would be somewhere between 50-55 cpm. That’s around what I make now. But he will not tell me what the base cpm is, nor what’s expected to earn said bonuses. He will not tell me what the salary is for the local shuttle job. His response was “we go over that in orientation “. I asked if they pay practical miles or zip to zip. His response “ I don’t know but it’s fair”. His final parting words were “call when you’re ready to join us and we will process you in”. Umm you want me to quit a job and come work for you without knowing how much I can earn?

Is the unwillingness to discuss pay common in this industry? Am I being too sensitive? Or should I just drop it with this company?

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Team Trainer Thoughts

I won't lie, my training was horrid. Until I got my third trainer. The first two were not meant to be teachers, whereas my third one was a natural teacher. I don't miss him, we speak on a very regular basis and if I ever have a problem or question, he is only a phone call away.

Even though I did a lot of training in my prior career, I can almost guarantee I will never be trainer on a truck. I just don't have it in me anymore. Oh and the fact that I had my son, whom I love and have known for all of his life lol on my truck for 2 weeks. About a week into it I just wanted to put him on a plane home.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Weird/Interesting Loads

The load wasn't so interesting, but the way they unloaded it was. I had rolled paper, the shorter rolls that are about 4 feet high. I pull into an alley in the Los Angeles basin somewhere at 10 pm. About 6 guys jumped in my trailer and start tipping the rolls up and rolling them off the trailer. Then another group of guys would roll them into their building lol I got tired just watching them!

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Did my first 5th wheel slide today

Guess I got lucky/unlucky. In my first month, I had to slide mine to get a load to balance. Took me two hours, a bunch of fifth wheel grease and some WD40. I haven't moved it since. But the lucky part was my last trainer had me slide his fifth wheel a couple times, so I knew how. I hope to not need to do it again, ever.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Blind Obedience to Goddess Mother GPS is...

I think I know which road he/she is on. Wouldn’t attempt it in the summer with a truck even lol

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Scam Artist at a Truck Stop

I got conned. Usually I’m a pretty good judge of character, but this girl got me.

I was in Springerville, UT at the Loves and was waiting to deliver my load the next day. I also have my son riding with me for a few weeks, plus, of course, the Pig. My son is still enthralled with truck stop offerings, so he was on and out of the truck several times that afternoon.

Later that evening we went in to take showers (the look on his face was priceless when I asked for a team shower lol) On our way out there was a small dog hanging around the fuel island. My son told me that she’d been there all day. He decided to grab some of the Pig’s dry food and see if he could catch her. I told him to at least try to get her away from the fuel island. Off he goes. He’s back in about an hour with no luck.

So now it’s Mom’s turn. I grab the wet dog food and a bag of treats. I’m on a mission lol I could get her to eat, she’d even get near me. But not near enough to catch. One huge bowl of dry food, two cans of wet food and a bag of treats later, still no luck. A local trucker came by and told me she’s been there about 3 months that he knows of.

I went in to McDonald’s and bought some burger patties. Went back out and fed those to her. While I was doing this, one of the love’s employees came to take the trash out and told me the dog had been there A YEAR. They feed it and made it a bed by the dumpsters. I figured at that point, if no one has caught her yet, I probably wasn’t going to either.

I went back to my truck and while I was chilling I watched at least 5 truckers feed her. Try to catch her. I know she had lunch meat and beef jerky. And then it dawned on me. She has a great scam going lol

If I return and she is stytgere, I will feed her again. I respect her game! Best scam artist ever.

Posted:  9 months ago

Trucker Road Rage

Bump. I urge you to focus on Vicki, and not the Moron! This situation will happen again... I promise you that. Be prepared.

Vicki... I’m not going to dwell on his very bad behavior and belligerence. This is about your part in future prevention.

It will. I did learn a lesson though. Not all trucks follow the rules of the road. It was a great reminder to always watch my six.

Posted:  9 months ago

Trucker Road Rage

Maybe this is one of the cult w the rolling roadblocks, acid laced coffee at all Loves, P-lots are for dumping pee jugs. Reptilian truckers anonymous. Whoops! Sorry! confused.gif sorry.gif

rofl-2.gif I’ve been hanging at the wrong Love’s!

Posted:  9 months ago

Trucker Road Rage

It is incidents like this that create a public perception and environment that leads to more and more regulation, and more aggressive/mandatory sentences for violations. Were you afraid for your life? No doubt - I would have been. But how do you think the two four-wheelers felt? And how many of their friends and family got to hear the story? And it doesn’t matter if they recognized the true hazard, and proper response - they were put in danger by a commercial driver.

Now I was taught to “merge aggressively” or in other words make a space. If anyone here has ever merged onto I95 from South Street in Philadelphia you’ll understand why - short steep incline ramps with no opportunity to build merging speed, and fast moving high density traffic to merge into. You stop and in could be 30 minutes before you can get out. That being said I was also taught that I can’t see everything, especially around or through other vehicles. How often does someone in front of you brake for no apparent reason, only for you to discover there was another vehicle in front of them that you didn’t see, or some kind of hazard (around here it’s deer) that you also hadn’t seen?

The sign on the ramp clearly reads “YIELD” - we all know that, and in the end that is the governing law, regardless of best practices and professional courtesy. That drivers behavior was not only unprofessional and inappropriate in every way, it was hazardous and unnecessary. Me, I would have videod everything that happened after the merge incident and called the State Police from the rest stop.

Here’s the hard truth - nobody wants to throw another driver under the bus, but this industry needs to start self-policing incidents like this to get dangerous drivers off the road.

Gregg

The only time I had any fear was when he was pushing me into the 4 wheelers. I was scared for them. I’m too dumb to be afraid of a bully. Sitting and staring at me was just weird. And it ****ed me off. I probably should have called the cops but one again, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Posted:  9 months ago

Trucker Road Rage

Bumping this.

I do not condone the other truckers behavior. Not one bit, he’s an idiot. He could have caused a serious wreck. Preventable not only by him, ...but also by you.

So yes... you can learn from this and adjust your approach reducing the risk of an encounter like this.

I strongly suggest that when approaching an on-ramp on a crowded Interstate, if at all possible to give way to a Brother or Sister trucker. Back off and slow down. It’s defensive, prudent and can keep you out of trouble like this. Yes I know he was supposed to yield to you he was wrong. But you must think like a trucker not a 4-wheeler. In the future assume and accept that a semi entering the Interstate will not yield to you. Most are speeding up expecting you to give way to them. It’s not right, but it’s reality.

I have experienced exactly the same initial situation you described , hundreds of times over the past 9 years. Each and every time I conduct myself exactly how I suggested it to you. Give way and live another day.

Good luck. Peace all.

Agreed. I could have slowed down more. We were doing about 45 and he was trying to merge at a much faster speed. That being said, it wasn’t the near miss that concerned me. This stuff happens. It was his behavior afterwards.

Posted:  9 months ago

Trucker Road Rage

Vicki, Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength.

Drop the mike. Seriously well said.

Posted:  9 months ago

Trucker Road Rage

That is one adorable dog

Thank you. She knows it too lol

Posted:  9 months ago

Trucker Road Rage

Well the pic did not load nvm.

0427669001640926888.jpg