Profile For Vicki M.

Vicki M.'s Info

LAS VEGAS, NV

Rookie Solo Driver

Vicki M. On The Web

1 year, 3 months ago

Vicki M.'s Bio

Long time casino worker looking for a career change, 53 years old, 4 dogs and 2 cats, 1 son (grown), and 1 husband

Vicki M.'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  1 month ago

Team Trainer Thoughts

I won't lie, my training was horrid. Until I got my third trainer. The first two were not meant to be teachers, whereas my third one was a natural teacher. I don't miss him, we speak on a very regular basis and if I ever have a problem or question, he is only a phone call away.

Even though I did a lot of training in my prior career, I can almost guarantee I will never be trainer on a truck. I just don't have it in me anymore. Oh and the fact that I had my son, whom I love and have known for all of his life lol on my truck for 2 weeks. About a week into it I just wanted to put him on a plane home.

Posted:  1 month ago

Weird/Interesting Loads

The load wasn't so interesting, but the way they unloaded it was. I had rolled paper, the shorter rolls that are about 4 feet high. I pull into an alley in the Los Angeles basin somewhere at 10 pm. About 6 guys jumped in my trailer and start tipping the rolls up and rolling them off the trailer. Then another group of guys would roll them into their building lol I got tired just watching them!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Did my first 5th wheel slide today

Guess I got lucky/unlucky. In my first month, I had to slide mine to get a load to balance. Took me two hours, a bunch of fifth wheel grease and some WD40. I haven't moved it since. But the lucky part was my last trainer had me slide his fifth wheel a couple times, so I knew how. I hope to not need to do it again, ever.

Posted:  3 months ago

Blind Obedience to Goddess Mother GPS is...

I think I know which road he/she is on. Wouldn’t attempt it in the summer with a truck even lol

Posted:  3 months ago

Scam Artist at a Truck Stop

I got conned. Usually I’m a pretty good judge of character, but this girl got me.

I was in Springerville, UT at the Loves and was waiting to deliver my load the next day. I also have my son riding with me for a few weeks, plus, of course, the Pig. My son is still enthralled with truck stop offerings, so he was on and out of the truck several times that afternoon.

Later that evening we went in to take showers (the look on his face was priceless when I asked for a team shower lol) On our way out there was a small dog hanging around the fuel island. My son told me that she’d been there all day. He decided to grab some of the Pig’s dry food and see if he could catch her. I told him to at least try to get her away from the fuel island. Off he goes. He’s back in about an hour with no luck.

So now it’s Mom’s turn. I grab the wet dog food and a bag of treats. I’m on a mission lol I could get her to eat, she’d even get near me. But not near enough to catch. One huge bowl of dry food, two cans of wet food and a bag of treats later, still no luck. A local trucker came by and told me she’s been there about 3 months that he knows of.

I went in to McDonald’s and bought some burger patties. Went back out and fed those to her. While I was doing this, one of the love’s employees came to take the trash out and told me the dog had been there A YEAR. They feed it and made it a bed by the dumpsters. I figured at that point, if no one has caught her yet, I probably wasn’t going to either.

I went back to my truck and while I was chilling I watched at least 5 truckers feed her. Try to catch her. I know she had lunch meat and beef jerky. And then it dawned on me. She has a great scam going lol

If I return and she is stytgere, I will feed her again. I respect her game! Best scam artist ever.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

Bump. I urge you to focus on Vicki, and not the Moron! This situation will happen again... I promise you that. Be prepared.

Vicki... I’m not going to dwell on his very bad behavior and belligerence. This is about your part in future prevention.

It will. I did learn a lesson though. Not all trucks follow the rules of the road. It was a great reminder to always watch my six.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

Maybe this is one of the cult w the rolling roadblocks, acid laced coffee at all Loves, P-lots are for dumping pee jugs. Reptilian truckers anonymous. Whoops! Sorry! confused.gif sorry.gif

rofl-2.gif I’ve been hanging at the wrong Love’s!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

It is incidents like this that create a public perception and environment that leads to more and more regulation, and more aggressive/mandatory sentences for violations. Were you afraid for your life? No doubt - I would have been. But how do you think the two four-wheelers felt? And how many of their friends and family got to hear the story? And it doesn’t matter if they recognized the true hazard, and proper response - they were put in danger by a commercial driver.

Now I was taught to “merge aggressively” or in other words make a space. If anyone here has ever merged onto I95 from South Street in Philadelphia you’ll understand why - short steep incline ramps with no opportunity to build merging speed, and fast moving high density traffic to merge into. You stop and in could be 30 minutes before you can get out. That being said I was also taught that I can’t see everything, especially around or through other vehicles. How often does someone in front of you brake for no apparent reason, only for you to discover there was another vehicle in front of them that you didn’t see, or some kind of hazard (around here it’s deer) that you also hadn’t seen?

The sign on the ramp clearly reads “YIELD” - we all know that, and in the end that is the governing law, regardless of best practices and professional courtesy. That drivers behavior was not only unprofessional and inappropriate in every way, it was hazardous and unnecessary. Me, I would have videod everything that happened after the merge incident and called the State Police from the rest stop.

Here’s the hard truth - nobody wants to throw another driver under the bus, but this industry needs to start self-policing incidents like this to get dangerous drivers off the road.

Gregg

The only time I had any fear was when he was pushing me into the 4 wheelers. I was scared for them. I’m too dumb to be afraid of a bully. Sitting and staring at me was just weird. And it ****ed me off. I probably should have called the cops but one again, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

Bumping this.

I do not condone the other truckers behavior. Not one bit, he’s an idiot. He could have caused a serious wreck. Preventable not only by him, ...but also by you.

So yes... you can learn from this and adjust your approach reducing the risk of an encounter like this.

I strongly suggest that when approaching an on-ramp on a crowded Interstate, if at all possible to give way to a Brother or Sister trucker. Back off and slow down. It’s defensive, prudent and can keep you out of trouble like this. Yes I know he was supposed to yield to you he was wrong. But you must think like a trucker not a 4-wheeler. In the future assume and accept that a semi entering the Interstate will not yield to you. Most are speeding up expecting you to give way to them. It’s not right, but it’s reality.

I have experienced exactly the same initial situation you described , hundreds of times over the past 9 years. Each and every time I conduct myself exactly how I suggested it to you. Give way and live another day.

Good luck. Peace all.

Agreed. I could have slowed down more. We were doing about 45 and he was trying to merge at a much faster speed. That being said, it wasn’t the near miss that concerned me. This stuff happens. It was his behavior afterwards.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

Vicki, Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength.

Drop the mike. Seriously well said.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

That is one adorable dog

Thank you. She knows it too lol

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

Well the pic did not load nvm.

0427669001640926888.jpg

Adorable!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucker Road Rage

My first incident of road rage as a truck driver. I was headed north on I5. Some highway was merging from the right and I had 2 small cars on my left. A trucker was trying to merge, not slowing down. I could not get over and to give the dirtbag a little credit he couldn’t see the cars on my other side. If I held my lane, we would have collided. He started pushing me over and I creeped over until the 2 stupid 4 wheelers got out of the way…with my blinker on the whole time, mind you. They either didn’t see it or didn’t care. I passed the guy in the truck and he gave me the one finger salute. Ok. No problem dude.

So once I get back in the right lane, he blows by me on the left, the whole time blowing his air horn and flipping me off. Then he pulls in front of me and brake checks me. Really dude, aren’t you over it yet!?!? Nope. He gets back in the left lane, slows way down and gets behind me. I just keep driving. Until, of course, my mean attack dog has to go to the bathroom. I pull into a rest area and he follows me. Parks about 3 spaces away and sits there glaring at me. I grab my attack dog and my stun gun just in case…it is daytime and there’s lots of people everywhere so I’m not worried. I figure I’ll just wait him out. I have 5 days to make a 2 day drive. I also used my phone and blatantly took photos of his truck, him, license plates etc.

Went back to my truck and made lunch. Caught up on Facebook. Read my local news. Pulled my curtains. He finally left after about an hour. Never did confront me. Never said a word. I’d like to think my dog scared him away lol

0480213001640925283.jpg

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Trucking trashers

I spent 33 years in the casino industry as a dealer and then a pit boss. Loved my job the first few years and then became disenchanted. But the money was good, the work was easy so I stayed even with the weird hours and missing holidays etc. In that 33 years many things changed. Even though it was (and still can be) a very fun and lucrative job, I’d still tell people to avoid it. (It’s not as fun anymore, the hours suck, things have changed etc. the whining and *****ing still continues even though I am out lol)

When an old trucker tells me to get out, avoid it, and so on, I consider it like my gaming career. The things that changed made me unhappy, but the money was still there, and I was good at my job. I also realize that the things the experienced folks are missing is something I’ll never know. So therefore I don’t miss it.

Posted:  5 months ago

Home for the Holidays...

Merry Christmas everyone. I’m about 2 hours from my best friends house where I’ll be spending 3 days. Actually 5 because they got me here 2 days early. I didn’t even ask. My FM texted and asked me if I wanted Christmas off lol

Posted:  5 months ago

Photos, oddball things

Some of the things I see being hauled around on trucks fascinates me

0860472001639971511.jpg

0553292001639971593.jpg

0516732001639971627.jpg

Posted:  5 months ago

Maximum chaining

A key to using the Auto Sox is that the pavement needs to be completely snow covered. If any mix of dry pavement asphalt or ice, it will rub a hole in the fabric-like material. On pure snow, the grip level is unsurpassed.

When I purchased mine a few years ago from the Iowa 80 truck stop, these were $235.99 per bag (2 tires), so not exactly "disposable income".

They are about the same price now. I had told my husband that I was going to start buying them a set every payday until I had 3 sets for super singles and one set for dual tires (my tractor has super singles and our trailers vary). He got a very nice unexpected Christmas bonus and called me and told me to buy them. I haven't yet...because I am in SoCal and none of the truck stops have them lol) I may just order them online and have them shipped home. I can grab them when I go home in January. We have them for our 4runner, so I am familiar with using them the once or twice a year we take the dogs up to play in the snow.

Posted:  5 months ago

Wilson Logistics Training: Start Date: 12/13/21. A Librarian Learns Trucking!

Sounds like it's working well for you! I was in the Missoula yard a few days ago (shut down due to weather). My heart went out to the kids that were training out there in the snow and ice. Much respect to them! I hope your trainer is awesome, you'll learn so much from them. Even my first two "bad" trainers taught me some things, but a good trainer (like my last one) is a priceless commodity. We still speak several times a week and he's always there for my freak outs and issues :D Keep us posted!

Posted:  5 months ago

Maximum chaining

I'm from the desert. I've chained a tire maybe 3 times in my life. One of them was during training lol A week or two ago, I was headed up Snoqualmie when they put the chain laws up. I parked. I pouted. I waited. It took me probably 30 mins to gird my loins enough to even attempt chaining. I got all bundled up, got out there, got one chain off the rack (I have cables too, but have never used them and have NO idea about how to install them...I assume they are like chains, but I digress), laid it out, got it all straight, put it on the tire and straightened it out. The driver from the truck in front of me came back and I thought "What a nice guy, he's going to help!" Nope. He told me they lifted the chain law. I do not know how long it takes me to chain, but I do know I can unchain in seconds :D

I drove over the mountain and parked for a break....called my husband. To make a long story short, I am getting Autosox for Christmas :D

Posted:  5 months ago

The verdict is in……. 110 years concurrent life sentences

So many thoughts on this one. First off, when my mom taught me to drive on logging roads at 9 years old (she was tired of getting out to open cattle gates lol), she told me that if you ever lose your brakes to drive into the ditch or the mountain side. It'll stop you. It may kill you, but you won't take out anyone else, and you stand a better chance of surviving than if you drive off the mountain (logging roads, remember). I'd still take the mountain or the runaway truck ramp. I am assuming that he thought he could get it under control. That was his judgement error. Given the choice of hitting a parked truck or careening into a 4-wheeler traffic jam, I'd hit the truck. Lives might still have been lost, but a lesser chance and a less destruction, hopefully. Honestly, I don't believe that his lack of English skills had anything to do with it. I drive in Mexico all the time and my Spanish is lacking when you get away from simple greetings, food, alcohol, bathrooms, etc. I'd still know that if I lost my brakes to hit the mountain. Most likely he was scared of wrecking the truck and losing his job, or being that he is young, of dying. Death is less of a deterrent the older you get.

My main issue with the whole thing is the lack of fairness in sentencing times. There are many people who have killed/injured more people who were sentenced to less time. One crazy case in Vegas comes to mind. A 20-year-old dancer (exotic, aka stripper for the uninformed lol) took ecstasy and smoked pot a couple hours prior to driving. She fell asleep at the wheel and killed 6 teenagers cleaning trash in the median (they were a work program from our youth authority). She could have been sentenced to `120 years but got something like 48. A few years ago, she pled guilty to lesser charges and got out after 18 years. I think 110 is too long for this guy. But that's just my opinion. I felt in the Jessica Williams case (the one I mentioned above) and in this case that ruining yet another life (the drivers in both cases) and spending taxpayer dollars to keep them in prison for life is not the best move. IMHO, let them do a lot of time so the loved ones of the deceased get their pound of flesh and in this guy's case, deport him.