Profile For Brandon S.

Brandon S.'s Info

Orange , VA

Experienced Driver

1 year, 9 months ago

Brandon S.'s Bio

CDL school 2004 Since then, Overnight Transportation Oldcastle Glass Hawkins Glass Merchants Grocery Oldcastle Building Envelope

Walmart Private Fleet

Brandon S.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  2 months ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Thanks Anne! Missus says howdy back. Hope y’all are doing well

Now I’m doing training for running doubles into Washington DC. Pretty interesting. Not as hard as I thought it would be. The hardest part for me is getting used to working nights.

Hey, Brandon;

So excited for you,man!

Yeah, that's what Tom said, when he went to FX/LH for a bit, back when....not as hard as he thought, either!

In mirroring the guys above, WE WANNA HEAR MORE!

Best wishes; stay safe! Howdy to the missus, also~!

~ Anne & Tom ~

ps: If only a DC was closer for us . . . the closer one is 'all full up!'

Posted:  2 months ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Thanks!

Congrats on this Brandon! Safe travels.

Posted:  2 months ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Yep. That’s exactly how we do it. We drop the first trailer at a Walmart in Maryland right before the DC line. The store docks are in the building and very tight, even with a pup. But there are only three stores in DC and one has a regular dock and takes a 53’

Can you give us a rundown on how that works?

Do you drop a trailer before going into DC and then deliver the front first then go back and get the second?

Looking at the WM at 820 1st St you can't get doubles in there so I'm assuming you just get close and then break your set?

Posted:  2 months ago

Walmart journey, take 2

0185162001664645542.jpg

I meant to put this photo with my last post.

Posted:  2 months ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Walmart Journey - Onboarding

She’s doing great! She’s going to ride with me in the truck for the first time next week. She’s excited.

Brandon;

An added "ps:" ... how's the awesome Mrs. Brandon (Stacey) doing, these days????

Adapting well, I hope! Again, if she ever wants to commensurate with a trucker's wife, email is in my profile!

Just make sure that she puts "Trucking Truth" (etc...) in the subject line. I'm good for replies!!!!

Say hi to her from us / me !!

~ Anne ~

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Walmart - first three months

Just thought I’d give my assessment of my first ninety days here at Walmart. It’s been very interesting to say the least. I’m from Virginia but running mostly in Pennsylvania and North Carolina, sometimes Ohio. I usually start my week with a relay load to PA, followed with a back haul to Virginia, and end my week with store grocery remix loads to North Carolina. Overall I’m enjoying it. The pay is good and the benefits good. The other Walmart drivers I run into at the dc’s are all very friendly and helpful. I enjoy the culture here, it’s a great company to work for. I’m glad I made the move.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Walmart Journey - Onboarding

Thanks!

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a job well done and good example of persevering under pressure.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Walmart Journey - Onboarding

Thanks! Love the job. Couldn’t ask for anything more. Took some time getting used to how everything works, but now I’m settling in pretty good.

I was thinking about you this morning! Glad things are going well.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Walmart Journey - Onboarding

Things are good! Right now I’m at the Sutherland dc getting ready to go to some stores around Raleigh. First time I’ve logged on here in awhile. I’m usually either running up in PA or down to NC. How is everything with you?

How are things?

Posted:  5 months ago

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

I was a woodworker in my younger days, up until I cut a finger off. Also pawnbroker, cemetery caretaker, trash man to name a few.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Hey Turtle, ever get to cranberry Pa? I went to that Walmart today out of Woodland PA. Thought it might be near your neck of the woods.

Posted:  6 months ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Hello Turtle, happy to help. Things are going well. Tomorrow is my last day with my mentor. I start on Wednesday on my own. I’m still not on a program yet however. I’ll tell you how my mentor has been doing it with me these past two weeks. Yes, it’s supposed to be one week riding, one week driving. However the approved me to drive on day three. On day one I just rode along and watched. He briefly showed me the system and how to log in, but was patient and knew it would take more than a day to understand it. The second day he drove but said I will be doing everything else. I would hook up the trailers, handle the paperwork and computer. Interact with the people at the stores. He was right there to answer questions and I had plenty. On day three I drove and did the work with his guidance. It may be sooner or later depending on the guy you are training. By the end of the week I had the computer pretty much down and he said if it wasn’t for the second week requirement I would be released to work. The second week he pretty much watched me. I had the loads coming to my driver number and was doing everything. Except for one hazmat load I don’t have a license for yet. Also he would get on the phone at night and book our rooms whenever he could figure how far we would get when we shut down. I hope some of this helps. If I think of anything else I forgot I’ll let you know.

Let me know how it goes. Hope everything goes well.

Hope things are still going well for you, Brandon. Here's a chance for you to actually help me. You see, I've been asked to become a mentor for onboarding new drivers into johnstown.

Having been a trainer at my last company, I know that I don't necessarily want to get back into this. However, I thought I'd give mentorship a try since they we're pretty clear about wanting someone like me to do it. So I'll try it this one time, and go from there. Starting Monday. I'll spend two weeks with the new guy.

Mentorship has changed since I went through onboarding. It only lasted a week for me, but I understand it's now two weeks. I'm just curious how it goes, so I know what to expect. During the brief explanation, I was told I'd probably drive the full first week, and the other guy would drive the second week. We'll stay at a hotel each night, and my duties will primarily be teaching him company procedures, the computer system, and such. I will also act as a contact point for him for a source of help once he goes on his own.

I expect the process will be pretty much as I described, but if there are any differences, I'd appreciate the advance info. There's a brief class Monday morning I have to go through, so I imagine most of the info will be explained there. I know you briefly touched on this in your diary, but I'm just sitting here pondering this, so I thought I'd ask you how it's going.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Just thought I’d update. Things are going well with the mentor, I have a real good one. That was one of my biggest worries but I got a good trainer. He’s also going to be training me for pulling doubles to go into Washington DC. There’s three stores there and two of them have to have the pup trailers. I already have the endorsement so I might as well. Loving the job so far. One more week of training to go.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Walmart Journey - Onboarding

Just got home from my first week with my mentor. They keep you out two weeks with a mentor now. The first week you ride, the second you drive. Well, at least it’s supposed to. I started driving my third day and have been driving ever since. We started the week pulling doubles to Washington DC, then we went to North Carolina. I drove to my first stores in Winston Salem, one super center and two neighborhood markets. The next day we went to Martinsville VA for a back haul to Sutherland. Then to VA beach and another back haul from Chesapeake to Sutherland. Today some GM deliveries around Richmond then back to Gordonsville to finish the week. We put in a lot of hours but I’m loving the job and have zero regrets. Looking forward to next week.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Back to trucking

If you still had the cdl there are companies that have refresher courses, but since you no longer have it I suspect you will have to take it all over again. There may be a small company or owner operator that would do that, I’m not sure. I would start over with a training company like swift that would cover the cost of training and make a paycheck.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Thanks for the help and support. I look forward to possibly meeting up somewhere! Stay safe!

One more week of mentorship and you're off to the races. Good luck!

Our ranges will overlap from time to time. Who knows, we may end up meeting at some point.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Thanks Anne! I do appreciate it. This has been a stressful change but I’ve been having fun too. I’m happy to be with a good company.

Finished orientation, heading out with a mentor on Saturday! Excited and ready to get started.

OMIGAWSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, I'm such a 'trucker's wife hick' deep down, can't help it!

SO. DANG. HAPPY. FOR. YOU.

Best going forward, good sir. No emojis/emoticons on here would show my happiness for you & the missus, enough!

Super psyched for you'sn's!

~ Anne (& Tom!) ~

dancing-dog.gif good-luck.gif dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Walmart Journey - Onboarding

Good luck to you! Stay safe!

Way to go, Sir! I'm a long way off from looking into a situation like yours. I just finished my 3 weeks of training at Roehl in Wisconsin and got my CDL. Gotta go out with a driver trainer soon for a few weeks. Seems you were doing your Wally World stuff while I was doing my Roehl training. I've always heard Walmart was a great company to work for, and even moreso driving for them. Nice to know they may be a good choice later on when I have some experience under my belt. Happy trails!