Profile For John

John's Info

OK

Preparing For School

4 months, 3 weeks ago

John's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Hopefully people interested in Knight will read this diary. I noticed that there are a lot fewer diaries here for Knight than other carriers, Im not quite sure why. From what Ive seen from them, they seem to be a very high quality company with professionalism and Ive gotten everything and anything Ive requested.

I am still here, just got caught up, as I have been away a bit. Next time in Tulsa - it'd be cool to meet up if schedule allows.

Going to get serious about going to Knight in mid July, as I have a planned vacation at beginning of July - I didn't want to rob my wife of her vacation. I already have my medical clearance from my cardiologist, just have to get DOT Physical (which I will likely do early next week), and get my permit after returning from vacation - then going to CDL School and officially getting started. I originally wanted to start this month, but wife asked me to wait til July.

I will be contributing a diary as well.

Your diary has been encouraging for me - I believe Knight is the right choice for me. They weren't my first choice (as I have stated before), but they are my first choice now. I want to be clear that I know my "choice" doesn't mean I know I will be hired there for sure, but after discussion with two recruiters (one via email and one in person at the terminal), I feel that Knight has a place for me and will work best for my situation.

Again, don't mean to hijack your post - just wanted to really say that your diary has been great - and it has encouraged me on my decision with Knight - and where I am in the process. Keep it up as you can!

Posted:  2 months ago

Night or weekends schools?

OK, so what it comes down to is your confidence level. As you said, you are afraid that IF you fail, you won't have a job when you return. One thing you can do, is make sure you leave on good terms, to increase the chances of returning, should the need arise. Of course, there is no guarantee, but, your odds are better.

But, the current job aside. I am willing that almost everyone fears failure prior to actually taking the dive. I know I worry about it. Those that say they didn't, or don't, are either lying, or they are over-confident, and are usually humbled upon sitting in the seat. So that, is natural - it is a new path in life - and you perceive it as a risk - and in some ways it is. But most things in life come with risk, am I right? I am willing to bet that after you sit your butt in the drivers seat and successfully make a few maneuvers, that fear will diminish. Yes, you will fail, as will I, to do every maneuver correctly 100% of the time. But when you get that first successful maneuver, you will know, you CAN do it. It is a matter of repeating it - and getting it right more times than you do wrong...and you will get there. You will have plenty of practice - as I have read in the diaries.

I decided this was the path I was going to go, months ago. I have some issues that held me back, personally, which I won't dive into here now, as I have briefly mentioned them in past posts. But I decided a couple of weeks ago, that I have procrastinated long enough, and it is now it is time to do or die. Now, I am not diving in...I am just taking the steps. For example, I had a heart attack at 42, 5 years ago...no, that wasn't my first step. But it required additional steps before getting my DOT physical. The clinic that does DOT physicals, told me I would need either an echocardiogram, or a stress test, and a form from my cardiologist clearing me. I got my echocardiogram - it cost me about $1200 after insurance. I could have chosen the stress test, which would have been significantly less - but, as someone who doesn't exercise regularly, I dreaded it. Wouldn't you know it, after my echocardiogram, my cardiologist called and wanted me to do a stress test...so I got stuck doing both! Well, I did it - and it wasn't nearly as bad as what I was expecting (I am really not in bad shape - I just hate running lol). I am getting off-track talking about myself lol. Long story short, I got my echo, my stress test, and now a letter and form from my cardiologist that cleared me (I have a 97% chance at surviving the next 5 years without a major cardiac event, yay me!) So my next step is my DOT physical - which I was going to do tomorrow - but have decided to hold off just a little longer until I am ready to go get my CDL permit - as I have to wait on some paperwork to return from the Social Security office (lost my SS card, which I need, and they also have possession of other forms of ID I need to take to get my CDL and they wouldn't allow copies....grrr).

OK, now that you made it through that monstrous paragraph you ask what is my point? The point is, you don't have to dive all at one time. If you haven't already, start studying for your CDL Permit. While doing that, go get your DOT Physical. Then get your permit, when you feel you are ready to test. Once you have possession of the DOT Card and Permit, the next step is to commit. I already have contacts with Knight, and I will likely apply elsewhere once I get close to my permit...just to solidify my choices - so I can make that commitment.

You can start applying now, you can wait until you get things in order...but you have to commit to it. You can do it.

High Road CDL Training Program

Posted:  2 months ago

Night or weekends schools?

I think that is what he meant lol

I know if an instructor gets within a half inch my nose and starts yelling, we gonna have a problem lol...

Considering the last three years I was in the USAF, I was the one in the faces lol.

I can see it being like boot camp, in the way that you have to focus so much of your attention on one goal...and the information/sensory overload.

Uh no, company sponsored training is not like boot camp other than the fact that you get up early each day, you are around a bunch of strangers, and are learning lots of new things.

It is nothing like any of the three boot camps I attended.

Posted:  2 months ago

CFI training through Trainco Trucking School

Congrats!

dancing-banana.gif dancing.gif dancing-dog.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing.gif dancing-dog.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing.gif dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  2 months ago

Night or weekends schools?

I understand where you are coming from. It is part of what has held me back from taking the plunge too. But, I know that in order for me to take the next step - I have to stop working my current job (which means officially closing my business), and put 100% into getting my CDL and getting on the road. Even if you found a place to go to school during the week in the evenings, or on the weekends...you will be unable to dedicate/focus solely on getting that CDL...distracted by your day job, fatigue, etc. Not saying you can't do it - just going to make it more difficult than it already is.

Wanting to keep your job -- while training, is it a security blanket for you? In the event you fail, you have something to fall back on? I understand - that is part of what delayed me, the fear of failure. If it is financial, trust me, I understand that too. I waited toooo long to take the plunge. A couple of months ago, I would have been in better shape than I am now -- but now, it has gotten to a now or never situation (I stopped promoting my business months ago, and just servicing my regulars at the moment - and I lost a large chunk of customers/big accounts at the beginning of COVID - and never regained).

I won't pretend to know your situation completely, only you know it. But your best bet, is to leave your current job, on good terms...and take the next step. Yes, it will require you to be away for some time - how long varies on what company you choose. Now, some companies do contract through local schools...so you may possibly be able to go to school locally - go home every night.

For example, I was expecting to go to Phoenix. But I visited my local Knight terminal, and they were promoting the idea of going through a local school that shares the yard. Being a vet, I was planning on taking advantage of their scholarship for vets - which would require me to go to Phoenix...whereas, staying local would require me to reimburse Knight for the expense of the school through weekly deductions. I haven't made the decision yet.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

GET THE CB!

Rather have it and not use it, then need it and not have it. And your "Davy Downer" voice feeding your self-doubt, ignore it. Even IF that voice is correct, which it isn't...you can sell the CB if you choose. I don't know if I'd buy from a Pilot, unless you get a good discount with points or something...I'd imagine their cost is pretty elevated. A CB is one of the first purchases I will be making when I get through these first steps...if I ever do, seems to be going on forever just trying to clear medical.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Congrats! Keep updates as you can.

Visiting a Knight job fair on Saturday

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

I imagine you'd still get training pay. But aren't you basically paid a flat weekly amount during training?

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

If your trainer believes you are ready, it may just be time to take the training wheels off. I believe that no matter when you take them off, you are going to have some moments where you doubt yourself, and are forced to think through situations...and through that, you will get your confidence. It sounds like that's what you actually need - the confidence to know you can do it without 'Doc' a couple of feet away.

When you are pondering your next step, whether to jump into solo now, or wait another week or two...ask yourself what you are hoping to gain in that extra week or two. Is it confidence & comfort? Or is it knowledge? If it is confidence & comfort, chances are you won't achieve that until you are on your own. I am not in your shoes obviously, I haven't even started, I am still preparing. But I believe by reading your posts, that you are ready - that you have learned pretty much everything you can from your trainer - now you just need to dive in.

I only say this because you sound like me, in the past when I was a trainee for any job - when asked if I am ready - I would almost always say I could use a few more days or whatever, because I was just not confident in myself...I knew the job, I knew what to do...but I lacked the confidence in myself. Honestly, when I am in your current shoes, I will probably do the same thing...question my confidence. After you take a few days off - if you are going to continue with training, I would limit it to one week if possible. At the end of every day, ask yourself if you could have completed the day without 'Doc' right there. Chances are - you will answer yes every day.

You got this.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Just to add, I was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi about 30 years ago (wow. I just realized that was almostTHIRTY years ago!)

Thanks Old School,

Knight has a terminal about 5 miles away from my house in Tulsa - so that is a definite positive for me. Others that were on my list, don't have a terminal within 100 miles of home. It made me look a little deeper into Knight, and it definitely seems like it is a good choice.

Hey John, I wish all the best for you at the cardiologist. Let me also assure you that Knight is a great company to work for. I've been driving for them for many years. I have always been treated like a professional. They have a unique management system that I think works really well for their drivers. Each terminal is somewhat autonomous. They each have to pull their own weight. I am out of the Gulfport, MS terminal and my experience has been wonderful.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Thanks Old School,

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Keep the updates going, enjoying them!

I am still in a holding pattern, but that changes tomorrow. I go for an echocardiogram tomorrow - I had a heart attack in 2016. I need that before I go get my DOT physical, so my cardiologist can clear me. My appointment with my cardiologist is next week - then assuming all goes well, which I have no reason to believe it won't, I will go get my DOT physical, then my CDL Permit. I have been in contact with Knight - and I explained some personal circumstances I have, and the recruiter says he is confident they can find something that will work for me that will allow me some more hometime. I admit, Knight is not my first choice, but appeared to be the one who would most be able to work with/for me - so they may be the best choice. So they were the first one I applied with.

I am excited to get started finally. Initially, they couldn't get me in for an echocardiogram until late June. I had to fight for an earlier appointment.

Posted:  2 months, 4 weeks ago

Company CDL school tuition

Anne,

NJ, and PA, so it must be a northeast thing...lol.

and I just said the same thing twice....

proofread John! Proofread!

confused.gif

I believe legally - any contract or agreement you sign - both parties are required/entitled to have a copy, or a copy be accessible/provided.

I am no legal expert, but I believe they are required to provide you a copy.

Did you go to school in NY or FL?!?! We share the SAME writing skills, John ~!!

rofl-3.gif sorry.gif rofl-3.gif

Andrey ... any updates, good sir? New gig still working out? Payment plan set up?? Just stopping by! Hope all is well, for sure...!

~ Anne ~

Posted:  3 months ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Sounds like that's all it is, you are eager to get going as you said.

I have been communicating with Knight, waiting to see cardiologist so he can clear me, so I can get my DOT physical...so I can get my CDL permit.

Had a heart attack in 2016, but I need to have a recent echocardiogram for my DOT...clearance won't be an issue - as of last checkup Dr says I am 100%. It is up to me to maintain it.

Deep breath. Enjoy the break. You’ll be up to your eyeballs soon enough!

Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks. Have been in my head obviously, feeling like I was slacking, guessing it's probably normal. And just excited to get started.

Posted:  3 months ago

A cautionary tale about Wilson Logistics...

Though unfortunate, I think it is best to look at it as...Wilson wasn't the match for you - and fortunately you found out before you got there.

I am sure you can find another company. A hurdle for sure, but you will jump it...and nail the landing.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Company CDL school tuition

and I just said the same thing twice....

proofread John! Proofread!

confused.gif

I am no legal expert, but I believe they are required to provide you a copy.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Company CDL school tuition

I am no legal expert, but I believe they are required to provide you a copy.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed here I come!

Youtube page

Great update - been following along on YouTube as well!

Thank you! YouTube has been fun. Thanks for following!

Great update - been following along on YouTube as well!

Awhhhh! I LOST it. Anyone spare the Y/T link again ?!?!? (ps: CONGRATS, man!!!)

~ Anne ~

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed here I come!

Great update - been following along on YouTube as well!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Company CDL school tuition

Andrey,

Given the information you provided in your diary, and all of that - I am on "your side". I believe you were wronged by Roehl, and I believe your situation is one which, I think could have been resolved with additional coaching or training, and that firing you was the extreme.

With that being said, I understand how you'd feel they broke the contract, not you, so you should not be responsible for paying them back for your CDL. I know I would feel the same way, initially. But once my "cooler head prevailed"...I would see it more clearly.

Their part of the obligation - was to train you to get your CDL. They fulfilled that obligation. You completed the class - got your CDL - and what happens after that, is irrelevant. In the end, you are responsible for your part now. Since you no longer have the option to fulfill it through a time or mileage obligation, you have to pay it out of your pocket (the cash option, as Banks stated). I would fulfill that obligation by making a payment agreement with them...whatever you can afford, but get it paid off ASAP.

I understand how you feel about it - but the truth is that they fulfilled their obligation.