Profile For John H.

John H.'s Info

OK

Considering A Career

2 months, 1 week ago

John H.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Company CDL school tuition

Anne,

NJ, and PA, so it must be a northeast thing...lol.

and I just said the same thing twice....

proofread John! Proofread!

confused.gif

I believe legally - any contract or agreement you sign - both parties are required/entitled to have a copy, or a copy be accessible/provided.

I am no legal expert, but I believe they are required to provide you a copy.

Did you go to school in NY or FL?!?! We share the SAME writing skills, John ~!!

rofl-3.gif sorry.gif rofl-3.gif

Andrey ... any updates, good sir? New gig still working out? Payment plan set up?? Just stopping by! Hope all is well, for sure...!

~ Anne ~

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Sounds like that's all it is, you are eager to get going as you said.

I have been communicating with Knight, waiting to see cardiologist so he can clear me, so I can get my DOT physical...so I can get my CDL permit.

Had a heart attack in 2016, but I need to have a recent echocardiogram for my DOT...clearance won't be an issue - as of last checkup Dr says I am 100%. It is up to me to maintain it.

Deep breath. Enjoy the break. You’ll be up to your eyeballs soon enough!

Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks. Have been in my head obviously, feeling like I was slacking, guessing it's probably normal. And just excited to get started.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

A cautionary tale about Wilson Logistics...

Though unfortunate, I think it is best to look at it as...Wilson wasn't the match for you - and fortunately you found out before you got there.

I am sure you can find another company. A hurdle for sure, but you will jump it...and nail the landing.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Company CDL school tuition

and I just said the same thing twice....

proofread John! Proofread!

confused.gif

I am no legal expert, but I believe they are required to provide you a copy.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Company CDL school tuition

I am no legal expert, but I believe they are required to provide you a copy.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Flatbed here I come!

Youtube page

Great update - been following along on YouTube as well!

Thank you! YouTube has been fun. Thanks for following!

Great update - been following along on YouTube as well!

Awhhhh! I LOST it. Anyone spare the Y/T link again ?!?!? (ps: CONGRATS, man!!!)

~ Anne ~

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Flatbed here I come!

Great update - been following along on YouTube as well!

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Company CDL school tuition

Andrey,

Given the information you provided in your diary, and all of that - I am on "your side". I believe you were wronged by Roehl, and I believe your situation is one which, I think could have been resolved with additional coaching or training, and that firing you was the extreme.

With that being said, I understand how you'd feel they broke the contract, not you, so you should not be responsible for paying them back for your CDL. I know I would feel the same way, initially. But once my "cooler head prevailed"...I would see it more clearly.

Their part of the obligation - was to train you to get your CDL. They fulfilled that obligation. You completed the class - got your CDL - and what happens after that, is irrelevant. In the end, you are responsible for your part now. Since you no longer have the option to fulfill it through a time or mileage obligation, you have to pay it out of your pocket (the cash option, as Banks stated). I would fulfill that obligation by making a payment agreement with them...whatever you can afford, but get it paid off ASAP.

I understand how you feel about it - but the truth is that they fulfilled their obligation.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Congratulations on making it through Top Gun...excited for your next step!

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Local driving is so good!

It is great to see you are happy and doing well!

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

I am still following too! Keep it up!

Posted:  1 month ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am going to be applying for Knight soon. I had never heard of the Top Gun portion...I like the concept.

OK, forgive me...I am confused. What is "Top Gun" training? You have your CDL - I assumed the next step would be actual OTR Training.

Top Gun is a new training program that Knight has. Its a week long, 10 hours a day. Its concentrated training much more in depth on parking, backing , ELD, city driving, precision driving, shippers, EFS card, lumpers, and more. We will sleep at night in the Trucks on the lot. There is a course description in the photos a couple replies back. Its both simulators and driving, and range time. As far as I understand, there is a 60 % reduction in accidents and backing incidents between CDL grads who have taken the program compared to those that havent. If you go through the program, you only do two weeks with a trainer OTR, (more if you desire) and then go on to 30k miles solo under the guidance of a DDM prior to moving out of the Squire program and becoming a Knight driving associate. I asked my recruiter today if there is a road test between training and the 30k solo and or at the end of the solo. He said he doesnt believe so, but there are requirements that do need to be met along the way. In addition to the training, we have a ton of training assignments to complete through the portal from the looks of it.

During school, we could see the Top Gun guys doing backing and exercises at the other end of the range often. They looked like they were doing a variety of different types of backs and parking, not just standard stuff. Also in AZ, we only test on straight back, offset, and parallel, and only to one side (drivers for offset, blind side for parallel). So we come out of school without knowing how to do 90 and 45 alley docks or have gotten experience parking and just get a quick run through on other stuff.

Posted:  1 month ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Posted:  1 month ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

Congrats!

dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay raises at Knight.

Either way, it is good.

to be honest, I dont know, I know they said shorter runs (under 300 miles i think?) have an add on to the base pay cpm, and safety, fuel bonuses are based on mileage and monthly I think but maybe quarterly. I havent paid too much attention to it, I just happened to see that tidbit about the payrate increase when we were introduced to the app today. Ive mostly just been wrapped up with school. I assume that what goes for Knight now goes for Swift for the most part. Idk though, they seem to still be two separate entities.

Still on sliding pay scale?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay raises at Knight.

Still on sliding pay scale?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

Sorry Eugene, I guess I got some words crossed...I thought you said something about giving up should you be let go tomorrow.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

OK, so it takes you a long time to back...I get it.

But until the Titanic moment, you were at least getting it done, just taking a long time. I think that moment got into your head, and you lost all confidence at that point.

I haven't even sat my butt in a rig yet (to drive), so I will not pretend to know how you feel. But just because you struggle with backing, doesn't mean you suck at driving truck...backing is a part (although an important part) of driving you are struggling with. Even if tomorrow is the end of your time with the company, it does not mean you need to throw in the towel completely. You know you can do this. You say you are naturally good at things, things usually come easy to you. But this is a challenge, that you said yourself, that you want...you have to go get it...even if you get knocked down tomorrow.

John, I’ve struggled with my backing from the start, but eventually came to the acceptance that I would continue to struggle with it and would eventually get it.

The general consensus on the site seems to be that everyone is terrible at backing for a very long time, but eventually gets it, and not to worry.

Suddenly, my “titanic” moment occurs, and I struggle with backing quite visibly under everyone’s watchful eye during the final exam week. All of my successful backs seem not to matter, and all the advice on this site about not worrying and taking all the time I need so long as I don’t hit anything, seems to be wrong.

I haven’t hit anything, and get out and look obsessively. I just take too long, then ask for help. And now I’m at risk of not completing the program. I’m not blaming anyone but myself since I’m the one who can’t perform, but I do feel a bit misled as no one ever told me taking too long was unacceptable until now. Neither from Wilson nor from anybody on this site.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

You are right about everything but one thing...

It isn't a career killer. Even if your time there is indeed done...you can find a way. You say you want this...but willing to just give up? Get yourself up, dust yourself off and get er done...even if somewhere else.

Thanks Xnihilo. The problem is that the calls for help have been made and can’t be undone. The conversations that have been had cannot be unspoken.

Had I simply kept my mouth shut and not made a call to ask for help (imagine that, a student asking for help...), I probably would have eventually gotten it in there, whether it took me another hour or not. The problem—and these are their words, not mine—is that 1 hour to back isn’t acceptable. 45 minutes to back is not acceptable. Hell, 30 minutes to back isn’t acceptable, if I’m at a vendor like Wal-Mart or Costco (their words, and major customers of ours). I don’t have unlimited time to figure it out, and time has run out. This is the “final exam,” as they repeated ad nauseam today.

I’ll repeat myself: calling to ask for help may have been a career-killing mistake. If I’m given another chance, it’s one I won’t make again. We will find out tomorrow.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

Eugene,

I had this long beautifully written post, that failed to ... post. As I cussed at my keyboard...I realized you had posted since I began my post, and you addressed exactly what I was getting at in my post...and that was getting into your own head, overthinking, etc.

But I have one question...was the "Titanic" moment when everything started to go bad for you? or had it begun way before then?