Comments By penn99

• 6 months, 1 week ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  4 months ago

2021-07-27

Another quick update.

Last Friday:

The last 4 members of our group took their exam. Three passed... including my hotel roommate... and the last member from my training truck. One failed the exam.

Total for our group: 12 people started the training on week 1... and... 12 people finished the training on Week 3 (after half day of class on Saturday).

Of the 12 taking the exam... 9 passed and 3 failed... the 3 will extend their stay 1 week and retest (this week).

Last Saturday:

Half day of in-class training. We thanked those instructors who were onsite... and we said our farewells to our new family members. Our group bonded immensely well.... we met as strangers....we soon became friends.... and we departed as family.

I drove both of my training truck buddies to the airport in Wausau (Mosinee) and then I drove down to spend the afternoon/evening with my brother and his family.

Last Sunday and Monday:

Drive... drive... and drive some more to get back to the Phoenix area. Arrived home about 630pm on Monday evening.

Tuesday (today):

I went to the DMV this morning and finalized my CDL with the state of AZ. Hard copy of the CDL to be sent to me via mail with 7 to 14 days. Sent a copy of my temporary paper CDL to Roehl.

Chatted briefly with my Fleet Operations Manager and my Fleet Training Manager.

I will have two days off and then I will work locally for two days this week at the Roehl Terminal in Phoenix.

After another day or two off, I will then will fly to the Roehl Terminal in GA to meetup with my trainer/driver for flatbeds.

I have also sent an initial text message to both trainers... one at the Phoenix terminal and one who is my driver/trainer in GA. I briefly introduced myself and stated I am awaiting a chance to talk to both individuals before meeting up with each of them.

A few days off will feel really good and I can make up some time with my wife.

I still feel a wee bit happy... and, I am excited to move onto the next phase.... Phase 2.

All is good.

smile.gif

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

2021-07-21

A quick update:

I went 'dark' here on TT after my last post. My apologies. I just wanted to focus and I disconnected from most things other than my time here with Roehl. As I will be closing out my 3rd and final week in the Phase 1 training on this coming Saturday... I hope to provide a better update once I return to the Phoenix area early next week.

Twelve of us started the class in week 1... and now as we close in on the end of week 3.... we still have 12 students. We are somewhat unique with the fact that we have had nobody leave/quit/dismissed from our class... as the classes for the few weeks before us, and the classes for the week following us, each have had multiple students leave/quit/dismissed.

As such.... I passed my CDL exam last Tuesday... and I am feeling a wee bit happy.

Myself... and one of my training truck partners were supposed to test on Monday... but we were delayed and tested on Tuesday. All four of the flatboarders in my class (including me) took the test... and all of us passed on Tuesday. As 'we' flatboarders have cargo securement training today and tomorrow (Thu and Fri).... we could not take the exam any later than Wednesday of this week.

And as it has gone this week: four of us tested on Tuesday.... four passed. Four of us tested on Wednesday... 2 passed... and 2 failed (currently being rescheduled for re-test). No-one tested today as the examiners were unavailable. And.... the final four of us will test tomorrow (Friday).

Friday... those who pass the exam will be in contact with our 'new' Fleet Training Managers... and we will learn more about our upcoming schedules and the specific information we need to get connected with our driver/trainers, etc.

Saturday... half day of class.... then we all go on our way back home... most of us preparing for Phase 2 of training with Roehl.

For now... two more days of class... and then onto going home for a bit... then onto Phase 2.

All is good.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

2021-07-09/ Phase 1 / Training Day #4

Backed and connected to box trailer.

Pre-trip tractor and box trailer.

Instructor drove on various roads on outer edge of Marshfield…. Allowing us students to get a feel for driving on roads, turning corners, etc.

I volunteered to be the first to drive from the yard... I thought I would be more nervous that I was... but... I was not nervous... just felt.... a bit elated. I drove for about 30-40 minutes… about 25 total miles. Awesome experience and I did well on my first time out.

Second student then drove the same route…. then lunch.

After lunch all groups pulled their training trucks/trailers down to the training yard. One truck per corner. With instructors planted at each corner and providing guidance, we (entire class) took turns backing the trailers around the entire perimeter of the training yard… backing around 4 corners and 1 obstacle on one of the side lengths. Challenging but fun.

The 3rd person in my group drove the same route as the first two of us drove earlier in the day.

In the evening, I spent about 3.5 hours continuing with the JJ Keller videos.

2021-07-10/ Phase 1 / Training Day #5

Saturday, half day.

All week 1, week 2, and week 3 students combined in the same classroom…. classroom presentations and discussions.

In the afternoon and evening.... I spent all afternoon until about 8pm in an effort to finish up the JJ Keller videos and other required company videos. Whew… finally done!! Now I can focus on the studying for the pre-trip inspection... and driving.

2021-07-11/ Phase 1 / Day Off

Sunday. Day off. No training scheduled.

Now having an access badge and employee I.D….. I opted to go over to the terminal and practice my pre-trip inspections for about 4.5 hours30am. I was the only week 1 student there… unless one came in later in the day. There was a week 2 student who came in with one of his instructors. I suspect he was doing extra work to improve upon his backing and driving. I met and talked with him briefly. Nice guy.

Back to the hotel. Lunch. Review my pre-trip inspection notes. Walk down to the Hub City ice cream shop. Review my pre-trip inspection notes. Chat with my roommate. Look at my pre-trip notes briefly. Ok… I am done. Time to chill.

Start of week 2 tomorrow morning. Thank the good lord that I don’t have watch any more of those damn videos. And I can now focus on driving and pre-trip.

Week 2 of training:

I am doubting that I will provide any further 'daily' updates for training. I am unsure as to how beneficial they are, especially with the previous Roehl diaries that are here on TT. The daily training is not difficult…. But… we are here for about 9 to 10 hours each day. And for me… trying to get those videos done every night…. All week…. Wore me down a bit. So… I will play it by ear this next week. I want to focus on my driving and my pre-trip… and not have to worry about updating here. My apologies in advance.

I will offer some advice now, partially referring to the assigned JJ Keller videos and various company videos, that are required to be completed as part of the training.

I had seen references to these videos in previous diaries… but… I had no idea that trying to complete the videos would take so much time. The videos share good information and are not difficult..... and at the end of each JJ Keller videos, you are required to complete a quick quiz… again, not difficult…. just time consuming... all encompassing for the first week, if and only if you are trying to get the videos completed.

As such... I would highly recommend that you get a solid and in-depth jump start on learning the pre-trip inspection process… before coming to training!!! I thought I did... apparently, I did not do good enough. You can get a could start by looking at Daniel B’s info here on TT. You will be much better off and feel much, much better about yourself. Guaranteed.

Keep in mind.... we were 'shorted' a training day due to the holiday observed last Monday.

All is still good... and getting better!!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Roehl Transport GYCDL Training - Phase 1 start date: 2021-07-06

Keep up the hard work, something you know all about I'm sure but now you're using it with all new material.

Great updates BTW!

Thank you, Maggs!!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

2021-07-08/ Phase 1 / Training Day #3

Today...

Worked on pre-trip... briefly worked on backing into and connecting to a trailer.... worked on pre-trip with the trailer.... worked on straight line backing.... worked on right and left turns with the trailer.

And.... 3.5 hours of JJ Keller videos after a quick dash to Wal-Mart. The videos are not hard... just time consuming... and as much as I want and need to focus on the pre-trip inspections, etc... got to get these required videos done.

Updates becoming shorter and shorter... for the time being. Sorry about that.

Its 10:30pm and its time to sleep... up at 4:45am... quick breakfast at 5:45am... then off to work....err, I mean training.

All is good.... should I say something about the WIFI at the hotel again?? I have found a secret location 'near' the lobby to do my video watching in peace.... sooooo......

Today was fun.... yup.... all is good!!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Roehl Transport GYCDL Training - Phase 1 start date: 2021-07-06

Still following, too! Did you use Daniel B.'s pretrip guides? Sure helps tons!!!

I DESPISE shoddy WiFi myself. We have issues almost daily, living in the country; and this extremely storm filled day sure exacerbated it!! Sorry!

Wish you well, rest up!

~ Anne ~

Hi Anne....

Regarding Daniel B's guides... I have reviewed those. Thank you for the well wishes.... much appreciated!!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Sorry... no.... I started another diary in this forum... I actually am with Roehl Transport in Marshfield, WI. My apologies for not being clear on that.

Good morning everyone.

The diaries on this website were instrumental in helping me make some decisions, so I decided that best thing I could do would be to pay it forward and get something updated on here.

I start SWIFT Academy in Memphis, TN on July 6th, 2021, my first week will be entirely virtual, then I will go up to Memphis.

I had to get my CDL permit and medical card before I started, so that's all been done. Looking forward to keeping everyone updated as best as possible!

Best wishes with your training!

I also start training on July 6th... and I will definitely be observing as I like to 'compare notes!'

good-luck.gif

OH awesome!

I bet we are in the same virtual class this week.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

2021-07-07/ Phase 1 / Training Day #2

‘The Roehl Way’: presentation and in class exercises. Half of our training day.

Yesterday, we were assigned our specific instructor/trainer our team each training truck. I am stoked to have the instructor that I wanted and I am with two other students.

Today we went out to our training truck and started training on Pre-Trip Inspection (tractor only for now). Side note, all training trucks are automatics.

End of day… each of us was allowed to drive the training truck around the ‘training’ yard, two times. Another side note... the first time driving a big rig (no trailer)... was awesome!! Being an automatic... it was much easier than I originally had expected.

Watched 3 hours of ‘required’ JJ Keller videos at the hotel. Time management for my new career starts now!!

All is good…. except the hotel WIFI still blows chunks!!

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

2021-07-06 / Phase 1 / Training Day #1

Met Roehl shuttle van driver at 6:30am. Those with cars followed the shuttle driver to the Roehl facility. Today is the only day for the shuttle. Those without vehicles will need to catch a ride daily with those of us with vehicles. Training started at 7am today... and will be starting at 6:30am for the remaining days.

Introductions of instructors. Roll call of students. Twelve students and two no-shows.

A few students had to do a drug (urine) test as their original tests were over 30 days ago.

All instructors and students proceeded out to a truck/trailer setup. Each student had to verify that they could successfully complete various physical tasks: open/close hood, get into and out of cab using 3pt. connection (3 parts of body on unit) at all times, up/down on catwalk using 3pt. connection, duck walk under trailer to inspect 5th wheel (on both hands and both knees was an acceptable method to crawl under trailer), lower/raise landing gear of trailer, open and latch trailer door… then close a properly latch/secure trailer door, properly climb into/out of trailer. For those who will be driving flatbed, we also had to do two simple tarp handling exercises. All tasks were to be performed multiple times and were to be observed and approved by the instructors.

Completion of multiple forms using Tenstreet… each student using their own phone to complete the tasks. Completion of the I9 form. Obtained access badge to Terminal grounds and installed Roehl’s app on phone. App provides multiple functions for training... and for working for Roehl.

Introduction and welcome by Training Manager for facility…. Justin.

New member orientation presentation.

Initial Review of HOS (hours of service) and performed sample log sheet.

Introduced to… and assigned.... the JJ Keller video series to be accessed via Roehl’s app.

I spent 2.5 hours completing the first series this evening.

My update today is vague and basic due to the added homework outside of work. Time appears to be fleeting. The WIFI in the hotel is surprisingly terrible for many of us students…. phone reception is hit or miss... but seems to be ok at times. Tomorrow, I will see how well my hotspot from my phone will work. But for today... I had to find a quiet location near the main lobby to get my homework completed. UGH!!

I am a bit tired tonight..… time to sleep.

All is good so far…. Except the WIFI.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Roehl Transport GYCDL Training - Phase 1 start date: 2021-07-06

Don't forget to check out the zoo. It's only a few minutes walk from the hotel and its not bad. Also the Mexican restaurant out by the Menards is way better than the one near the hotel. Good luck!

Thank you for the information. I have been to the zoo many years ago... and I may just have to check out that restaurant. I brought 2 cooler with me and a bunch of food so that I can minimize eating out. But I will certainly take a bunch of cheese, meat, and a few other things back home to AZ.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

2021-07-02 / Phase 0 (pre-training) / travel:

Driving… Phoenix area to Pratt, Kansas. 917 miles. Evening in hotel.

2021-07-03 / Phase 0 (pre-training) / travel:

Driving… Pratt, Kansas to Eau Claire, WI. 785 miles. Evening at my Aunt’s home.

My phone is in a dead zone at her house… and she has no Wi-Fi. UGH!! ‘Almost’ feeling too dependent on technology… especially since I cannot contact anyone via my own devices.

2021-07-04 / Phase 0 (pre-training) / travel:

Relax and events with family… Aunt, cousins, kids of my cousins. Evening at my Aunt’s home.

2021-07-05/ Phase 0 (pre-training) / travel:

Early start at 5am. Helped my Aunt unload a hay wagon and stack the hay bales in her barn. She has a few horses and 2 miniature donkeys that like to eat… hay. She also has a few chickens…. two baby turkeys… a dog… and a cat. Its been about 40 years since I last threw a hay bale. A great work out but I was winded a bit. The second trailer arrives this afternoon.... I am happy to 'not' be there.... LOL. 0015092001625522065.jpg

0300112001625522098.jpg

Performed the 3S’s then drove from Eau Claire, WI to Marshfield, WI. 89 miles. Next 3 weeks at a hotel.

I grew up and went to high school in a small town about 20 miles north of Marshfield. As I drove today, I stopped at a small little dairy to pick up some cheese and some cheese curds… for my upcoming 3 weeks in the hotel. The main diary for this smaller dairy is about 7 miles from the hotel. I intend to swing by there before heading back to the Phoenix area.

I also stopped by a small specialty meat shop in my hometown… picked up some smoked bratwurst and some smoked/spicy jerky sticks. I would like to come back here before heading home to the Phoenix area…. not sure if I will make it.

Drove by… and snapped a few pictures of…. my childhood home. I was last there a little over 2 years ago when my mother had passed, and my brother and I had to take care of her belongings and prepare the house for sale. Just looking to see how well the new owners are taking care of the house.

In Marshfield, drove by the Roehl terminal and misc. other Roehl buildings. Then… arrived at ‘Hotel Marshfield’ which is a few short miles form Roehl. I am checked in and awaiting my roommate to arrive.

Ready to start Phase 1 training tomorrow.

All is good.

Posted:  5 months ago

CFI Home time

Once you upgrade and get a truck, they will get you home for 2 or 3 days to set up your truck. Then they strive for 100% getting us home on time. They come close.

The more advanced notice you give them the easier it is to get you home on time.

The longer you stay out the more money you make.

We also earn PTO time per week. First year is 7 paid days. That is about .13 days per week. You can save those or use them as you get them.

They will also "bank" days at home for you. If you stayed out six weeks but only took three days at home, then you have three days of home time saved up for when you want to use it. This is a concept that is foreign to you because this is not like any job you have ever had before. We understand your confusion, but it is something you will get accustomed to as you do it. You are in charge of your home time. You decide when you want it, but they need some help from you so they can make it happen. That is why they need you to provide them with a target date as soon as you can.

Big Scott... Old School...

I will learn more next week once I start my orientation and training with Roehl.... but until then....

I assume all the major companies use the 'banking days' system. Is there a max number of days you get bank... and, I also assume you can use these banked days in conjunction with PTO days and holidays....

Posted:  5 months ago

SWIFT Training Diary, July 2021, Memphis, TN

Good morning everyone.

Best wishes with your training!

good-luck.gif

Posted:  5 months ago

Congratulations Penn99!

We are looking forward to hearing of your progress. You can expect it to be challenging. Just keep plugging away and do your best. We are always here if you need some advice or a little "pep talk." good-luck.gif

Thank you, Old School. I always appreciate and respect the responses you provide to many of the members here. As far as requesting advice... yep... I will definitely be doing that!!

Good luck as you start with Roehl.

You may have me confused with Turtle, another moderator. The closest I've been to pulling flatbed has been pulling log trailers long ago.

Thank you, Pack Rat. And.... welp.... pulling log trailers counts in my book.... lol. I think I absorbed your name mentally from the last few pages of the 'Flatbed Variety' thread. I do enjoy your interactions here on the forum..... so.... all is good!!

Posted:  5 months ago

Roehl Transport GYCDL Training - Phase 1 start date: 2021-07-06

I am confirmed to attend Roehl Transport GYCDL - Phase 1 training in Marshfield WI, starting on July 6th. Upon successful completion of training and obtaining my CDL, I will return to the Phoenix area and become part of Roehl’s National Flatbed Division and start Phase 2 OJT with a trainer. Upon successful completion of Phase 2, I move on to Phase 3 and I will get my own truck and continue my OJT as a... Rookie Solo Driver.

Roehl's Training Road Map

2021-06-30 / Phase 0 (pre-training) / My backstory:

I am humbled and honored to be part of the Trucking Truth family. I am relatively new to this forum and I have been hesitant to post much here until such time as to having received my ‘official’ confirmation for training.

I feel blessed to have found this website as it has been highly beneficial for me thus far.... from utilizing the various HRT study materials.... to the plethora of information posted via the forum. I also enjoy the interaction of the moderators and the helpfulness of many of the members.

Trucking has never been a dream of mine.... and never in my lifetime would I have thought that I would end up driving a big rig.... let alone, becoming a flatbedder... a skateboarder.... a knuckle dragger?! But now, I shall follow in the footsteps of those flatbedders that have come before me here on TT... Old School, Chief Brody (aka ‘The knuckle dragger’), The Dragon, Pack Rat and many others.

I am 53 and in relatively good shape although I could stand to loose a few pounds, so sayeth my knees whom have not been friendly to me over the past few years. After 32 dedicated years working in one industry.., with only 2 different companies (11 years with my first company and 21 years with my last company), I am now starting this new career to carry me into my full-time retirement years... whenever that may be.

Being that I live in the Phoenix area, I opted to apply to Schneider, Roehl, Knight, and Wilson Logistics. I should have looked more at Swift and Prime... but, I did not. Ultimately, I chose to go with Roehl Transport as this has allowed all of my ‘pieces of my puzzle’ to fit the best.

In an effort to give ‘something’ back to the TT community, I intend to document my activities via this diary. I am unsure as to how often I will provide updates, however, I hope to provide an update daily, at least through Phase 1 of training. We will see... one day at a time.

I am extremely excited for my new start... and I am at grounded with the realization that I will have many new challenges facing me during my journey. I would be lying if I said that I do NOT have any hesitations and concerns... but... now is the time to stuff those into my back pocket...... eyes open, chin up, chest out, and with a wide-open mind.... I am ready.

I completed my DOT physical about 3 weeks ago, and soon after, I obtained my Class A learners permit.

In the next day or two, I will start the drive of approximately 1755 miles to my destination... Marshfield, WI.

And on July 6th, : Roehl’s Phase 1 Training begins.

G...

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Study that Handbook

Well today was the day I went to take my cdl permit test. I was so nervous and was studying for it as well. I failed on the general knowledge portion and air brakes. Passed on the combination. When I was studying I did read the handbook. But then decided to do these practice test fourm's, apps and watching Roehl's practice test videos. NOPE NOPE. Going back on reading that handbook like I should of done. Because when I took the test I was hoping to see some the questions I was doing on these platforms. Some where on there but not so much. So, I recommend to anyone that is studying for their permit test, is to read that handbook.

Offering my opinion here... and agreeing with Travis in that studying the actual manual should be performed... in addition to performing the HRT.

I completed my permit testing, a bit over a week ago. I opted to 'not' study the endorsement sections at that time. The steps I took to study for the permit test are as follows:

1) The first time through, I read through the HRT study sections and then answered the HRT sample test questions.

2) For all subsequent times with the HRT, I would reset the scores to zero... and then go through the questions only. Each loop I took through the questions would take me about 2.5 hours to complete the questions. I became extremely proficient with the HRT questions for the permit test.

3) For fear of the unknown as to what may be on the test, I opted to read through the actual DOT manual... AZ version... and sections only pertaining to the permit.

4) For a little over 1 week... I would do the HRT questions one day... and read-through of the actual manual the next day.

Test day.... I was feeling extremely confident. As I started stepping through the tests…. Instant anxiety. Historically, I am a relatively good test taker. That day… I felt a bit of despair. I took a few deep breaths… told my self to read slowly… fully understand each question… and choose… what I deemed to be the ‘best’ answer.

Some of the questions were similar to HRT and/or could be answered based on studying HRT only. Many of the questions were vastly different from HRT… more so than just adding the word ‘not’ or ‘except.’ I skipped some questions, however, for many of the questions… I had to take my best self-educated guess… even after reviewing the actual manual.

As such… I passed the permit test. I think I had only 1 or 2 incorrect per section.

And… back to my opinion... based on my experience: HRT is extremely beneficial and is a must…. It is an excellent foundation for studying for the permit test. I think people also need to spend time studying the actual manual.

G…

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Soon to Be Flatbed Truck Driver for Knight Transportation

I do have a question that maybe someone can answer. I know that I have read that Arizona is currently under a heat advisory and often construction crews will actually do all of their work at night to avoid the dangers associated with the high temperatures. My question is, will this possibly change any part of the training process? Obviously, this wouldn't hinder any training done inside the truck while driving. What about the hours of pre-trip practice? I'm not afraid of working in the heat, as I've spent the last 10 years working outdoors in the oil field. Just wanting to get an idea of how it might change things during training.

For the Phoenix area....

I cannot speak to the training as I have not had the training as of yet... and likely, mine will be out of state. I would speculate they may do alot of the outside (non-driving) training in the early morning hours.

This week, the temps have been about 115-118F... the saving grace is that there is low humidity.... but.... hot is hot.... and it is HOT!! Temperatures peak in the mid-to-late afternoon... about 3pm to 4pm... then cool down a little for the evenings. I think this week, I have seen it about 105-110F at 10pm.

Starting Monday.... we see a cool down.... I think this week will only be 105-108F. For the next few months, plan on it easily being anywhere between 100-115F. We may see some lower temps periodically but don't count on it.

One item I did not know about before moving here..... monsoons. The monsoon season started a few days ago. Monsoon are high winds and usually rain in the mid-to-late afternoons. Monsoons seem to be sporadic... and some are actually cool looking, although the winds can be dangerous due to the blowing winds and dust storms. Ask Mr. Google about Phoenix haboobs... and you will see some cool dust storm videos. Last year we essentially had nothing for the monsoon season.... it was called the non-soons! LOL. This year TBD.

Good luck with your training. My opinion... summers here still beat the winters where I grew up. No snow shoveling, no icey roads, no freezing down to the bone.

And remember.... water, sunscreen, shade, water, and more water!!

G....

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Proper Order for Hazmat Bills

Greetings! I'm getting ready to take my haz skills test in the morning (transfer the ILCDL to an AZCDL), doing some late night cramming. I always thought "ISHP" was the acronym to use, but looks like maybe it changed? I learned it ID number, Shipping Name, Haz Class, Packing group. The testing info here shows the name first. The internet, of course, is fully divided on the topic. The arizona handbook shows an example following the ISHP format.

I'm completely befuddled... (which The Beloved will readily validate!) by the mixture of information on this topic. Probably best to follow the info in the AZ booklet, at least that way if I fail I can try to get a review and dispensation...

Side note - does AZ offer the "Skip a Question" option on their testing? I know ILL_noize did, up to a certain number of question skips.

Thanks all...

I tested for the permit last week.... although not taking the Hazmat endorsement test.... and yes, there was a 'skip the question' option. Good luck with your test.

Posted:  6 months ago

Brakes just caught on fire and burned trailer.

Thank you for this info regarding Fed-Ex.

I have just looked and found an Driver Apprentice position available in my local area. Qualifications include: must have a CDL-A... or.... the CLP.

You get hired as a driver apprentice and you're put into a queue. You work the dock until it's your turn to get trained. You are trained by a former driver that is now a driver development instructor. It's not on the job training and FedEx will not send you to a CDL school. They can send you to another location to get trained if you're ok with it, but I don't think it's likely because right now they're short drivers and I'm sure all driver development locations are tied up with students.

The training has changed, from what I've heard but when I did it it was 1 week learning to back, 1 week driving on public roads, 1 week learning doubles and 1 week out with a city driver on a route. If you have a CDL you do the same exact program as someone with a permit. The only difference is that a person with a permit has to take a state road test. That test will be scheduled and paid for by FedEx and it will take place at a DMV facility with a DMV examiner. FedEx has nothing to do with your examine, other than what's mentioned above and providing the truck.

Posted:  6 months ago

Brakes just caught on fire and burned trailer.

I went local out the gate because I wanted to be home every night. I went to FedEx Freight and did my training and first year and a half there. It's worth looking into. Top rate at FedEx is 30+ an hour (depending on location) with time and a half after 8 hours and you get the benefits too. Long term, for you and your family, that's the move to make. I don't know where you're located, but see if the center closest to you is hiring for Driver Apprentice. Since you have less than a year experience you won't qualify to be hired as a city driver or a road driver.

RAD... Interesting story with the tire fire. Hope all works out for you.

Banks...

I am hoping you can clarify about the apprentice job with Fed-Ex so that I may better understand how their program works.

Does Fed-Ex put you through a specific CDL training program first, or, is a person trained as you go, via on-the-job training. A list of job responsibilities including various "non-driving duties" indicates a person may be working and training at the same time.

Sorry RAD, not trying to hijack your thread... just trying to obtain more info.

Thank you.