Profile For Dennis L

Dennis L's Info

Monticello , AR

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 3 months ago

Dennis L's Bio

I have been retired since 2016 and now have my CDL-A at age 66 to hit the road OTR. My health is good, so hoping I could drive for 10 years.

I had a 38-year career with Chevron as a Petroleum Engineer starting in 1978 in Midland, TX after graduating from Colorado School of Mines. My first 16 years were domestic in Texas, Colorado, California and Louisiana. I then went international in 1994 for 22 years in Papua New Guinea, Angola and Kazakhstan.

During my retirement I’ve been driving class A diesel motorhomes. I took an RV driver safety class from a retired professional trucker and driver trainer. He was all about safety from a trucker’s perspective. He was a drill Sargent type, which was great for me.

I did my CDL training with Prime Inc. in Springfield, MO during Feb-Apr 2022. Upgraded to solo company driver in May 2022.

dennis.longhorn@yahoo.com

Dennis L's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 4

Posted:  4 hours, 9 minutes ago

What’s the scoop?

I saw one of these on the road. It is an alternative to side skirts.

0199134001664045785.jpg

0683958001664045825.jpg

Posted:  5 days, 3 hours ago

Truck Stop Follies and Assorted Stupidity

Plus the trailer door is open backed into the trees.

Posted:  5 days, 3 hours ago

I’ve had a set back

Maybe I’ll get back out in November for the winter driving season. Going out with a trainer to refresh for 2-3 weeks would be ok. I’ve heard that Prime does this.

It has been two months since I’ve driven, so by time I rehire will be maybe four months. I had four months driving experience when my injury occurred.

I spent time today reading my last training diary about first month solo. I’m glad now that I put in the effort to write detailed daily TT diaries plus my written journal. It is starting to feel like a long time ago. Reading about it refreshes the memories.

I spotted today a couple ways that I could have improved my performance. I’ll be aware of this now when I get back OTR.

Posted:  5 days, 5 hours ago

I’ve had a set back

Thanks for the advice all.

I saw surgeon today. Will start PT on Wednesday. Three times weekly for four weeks.

See surgeon again in four weeks on Oct 17.

He told me again today that mine is one of the “tightest” tendon repairs that he has ever done. So it will likely take awhile longer than typical 3 months to get released for work. I told him let’s not rush it. Don’t want to have to start over. He agrees.

I’m being very careful to only use prescription pain pills sparingly. Maybe one pill per day when I do take it just for a brief break to get some rest. Ibuprofen and a cold pack most of the time.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Finally got the knees worked on.

BK, glad you are out of chronic pain now.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Backing Tips

I appreciate Turtles and Nae Nae’s comment. The 45 Alley Dock was my best docking option while I was driving.

I was also taught 3’ out rather than 6’. However, I found this dock troublesome when I didn’t have much room in front to maneuver and I was too far out. I would scrub the back and reposition to start over.

I agree with staying tight on the sight side and to GoAL the blind side.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

The more I drive, the more I love night driving.

PS. I liked night driving when going through major cities, but prefer daytime to see the countryside

I often started driving about 03:00 and parked mid afternoon, so had both

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

The more I drive, the more I love night driving.

Driving for Prime I agree with Nae Nae in how I used the Right Weigh system. Except sweet talking shippers without a CAT scale ticket didn’t work for me when it indicated a potential overweight situation on my trailer axles.

However, if I was with a company not using Right Weigh, then I agree with BK that weighing every load over a certain weight is necessary because you are blind about your weights without doing it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Schneider unveils new all electric truck at Green Bay headquarters

I can’t link in this article from the Epoch Times. It is an excellent read about the false narratives of the climate change political activists that took control of Green Peace to raise funds to support their political agenda for power and control.

EXCLUSIVE: Greenpeace Founder Patrick Moore Says Climate Change Based on False Narratives https://link.theepochtimes.com/mkt_app/exclusive-former-greenpeace-founder-patrick-moore-debunks-the-false-narratives-of-climate-change_4709568.html

All electric vehicles are only applicable to urban center commuters or local delivery trucks. Not intended for long distance driving.

California will be showing us the way as usual when gasoline engines banned by 2035 and they don’t have the power grid capacity to charge the EVs.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Thanks PackRat, prayers are appreciated

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

I’ve had a set back

Time for an update. It’s been 5 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. This week the swelling is finally going down which is reducing the dull ache and pains.

My surgeon is planning to start me on physical therapy after I see him next on September 19th. I’m working on gradually extending my arm to stretch the tendon per doctor direction. . It is very tight.

Due to lack of use my right arm muscles have atrophied. Will need to rebuild the strength and range of motion. Still painful to rotate my wrist, which I need to be able to do to drive effectively.

He told me to expect 2-3 months from surgery to get released for work, so hopefully during October to early November.

I’m starting to make payments to Prime for a balance that I owe on the interest free loan that I accrued during my CDL training. I was making payroll deductions of $25 weekly to payoff $1,000. I have $475 to go.

Prime will allow me to resume my original contract to drive 12 months for them to payoff the $4,375 cost of my CDL training when I rehire with them. I had completed 4 months when my injury occurred.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Food Shortage???

I haven’t seen any food shortages yet on the Walmart shelves where I live in southeast Arkansas.

Definitely price increases

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

I’ve had a set back

My arm is tender and sore. Getting used to the brace.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

I’ve had a set back

Rotten egg hydrogen sulfide gas should have gotten Hazmat pay.

Fortunately I didn’t have anything particularly large or heavy on my truck. No refrigerator or 100 lb tarps and chains that require two good arms.

I thought Prime tanker division mostly in north eastern region.

I finally get the arm splint and tape wrap removed tomorrow. Will switch to an adjustable orthotic brace as part of physical therapy to gradually increase arm extension.

Will be glad to get rid of the tight tape wrap. Very uncomfortable

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

BK

I have nothing to do with a book on Amazon. That was Ms Anne.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I’ve had a set back

Thanks guys. Funny about the attorneys, but I do know a couple decent lawyers personally.

This is the first major surgery that I’ve had, other than the cataracts last August.

This is going to be a slow healing process. The tendons were completely torn and retracted. Surgeon had to make two incisions to reach the tendons and stretch back out to reattach.

He will use the brace to make small incremental adjustments to expand the arm extension.

Hopefully in a few days the initial swelling and pain will subside.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

I’ve had a set back

About 24 hours since my surgery. Surgeon says it went well. Dealing now with post surgery discomfort and pain.

I see Dr on 15th. Change from splint to a brace.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

I’ve had a set back

Thanks George B. This does hurt financially, but not crushed yet.

Just found out that my Prime trainer is off with a long term medical issue. He is trying to keep a driver in his truck to make lease payments, but may have to turn it in for awhile.

The driver that he has lined up is one of his recent students, but he is still out finishing his Training miles to upgrade to a solo driver.

We all have our challenges in life.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

I’ve had a set back

I hear ya, PackRat. I’m not a youngster neither, so recovery could be slower.

It is just frustrating. I was off to a good start with Prime and I enjoy the work. At least my FM makes it sound like they will stand by me allowing me to come back.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

I’ve had a set back

I’m going to have surgery on Friday 8/5/22 to repair the bicep tendons.

Recovery will be 2-3 months of healing and therapy before I can return to driving.

Will start out in an arm splint for ~10 days, then switch to a brace for 6-8 weeks. Will be challenging since I’m right handed.

My FM told me today that I can return to Prime when medically released in Oct-Nov through my Recruiter to handle the rehire process. I need to renew my DOT medical card in early OCT, too.

I won’t be surprised if I’m required to do some refresher training miles with a Trainer since I’ll be off the road for 3-4 months.