Profile For Thomas D.

Thomas D.'s Info

Powellton, WV

Preparing For School

Thomas D. On The Web

3 months, 2 weeks ago

Thomas D.'s Bio

46 years old. 63W wheeled vehicle repairer US Army. Been in the automotive sector all my life, It's time for a change.

Thomas D.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

How Hard Is It To Get A CDL?

I'm 46 and about to start the OTR life!

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

On the road training question

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm still in a holding pattern tor right now, looking more like November for me right now (still waiting for the IRS lol). Little man's last scans showed possible growth on a spot they've been monitoring, so now a trip for a needle biopsy, awaiting a schedule date right now. Other than that, I lurk around reading all the posts from everyone, and taking the HRT for the second time from start to finish, and may tackle it for a third time. Thanks for asking and hope all is well with you, and with everyone on here on TT.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Driving East: Nervous as Hay-ell

That does not help my anxiety. Nope.

0106186001632327001.jpg

Another one bites the curve, this angle highlights the problem drivers face when they're not familiar with the road.

As you approach that curve there is a LARGE yellow advisory sign that states WV61 is NOT suitable for large trucks. I'm not saying it can't be done in an 18 wheeler, but you have to be FULLY in the left lane, hugging the white line before you start thru the curve.

Posted:  1 month ago

Driving East: Nervous as Hay-ell

0106186001632327001.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

Driving East: Nervous as Hay-ell

Navypoppop, you got that right about US60 from Sam Black Church to Smithers. Smithers will put you 10 miles from my house over on the other side of the Kanawha River on WV61. What kills me though are the number of drivers who attempt to run WV61 from Montgomery to Oak hill who bottom out their trailers at the foot of Deepwater mountain. I don't know if they're trying to avoid the tolls on the WV Turnpike or what, but by the time Hutch's Wrecker Service gets done getting them unstuck, that toll seems like pennies lol.

0131956001632265677.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

Which state?

Those boiled peanuts remind me of living in Florida lol!!

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

On the road training question

At no time should you and the trainer be simultaneously occupying one of the bunks together however, that would be very awkward.

Awkward doesn't even begin to cover it.....

Posted:  2 months ago

On the road training question

If both bunks are occupied the truck is parked.

Thank you, Capitan Obvious.

rofl-2.gif thank-you.gif

Lord I hope so, if not I'm gonna need a new trainer or a lawyer lol!!

Posted:  2 months ago

Looking for ways to acceleratate my truck ? maybe some kind of motor attachement?

Maybe his APU had the Mr. Fusion conversion?

Posted:  2 months ago

On the road training question

I understand that after school almost all companies require students to spend some time or a certain number of miles with a trainer or finisher. I also understand the first portion of that time or mile is done as a solo truck with the trainer being awake and in the right hand seat while the student operates the truck. My question is this. I've seen some companies have a policy about occupying the upper bunk while the truck is in motion, so do they expect the trainer and student to share the lower bunk during team phase, or how does that work during training?

Posted:  2 months ago

Thinking About Leasing With Prime

The motto should be: Kids, don't do drugs or LEASES. 'Nough said.

Or "Friends don't let friends lease trucks!"

Posted:  2 months ago

Newbie Here! Best advice for a woman thinking of jumping in...

Yeah, I know how you feel. You'd think that the government could take some of that money in the infrastructure bill and fix the IRS. It shouldn't take 190+ days to review a simple tax return. 190+ days. That's how long I've been waiting for over 13k in federal taxes. I should already be on the road, probably finishing up with my trainer, or just being assigned my on truck by now, but instead I'm waiting on the government. If it wasn't so sad, it would almost be funny.

Posted:  2 months ago

Newbie Here! Best advice for a woman thinking of jumping in...

Believe me, I understand completely. I'm still waiting for my Federal taxes so I can take care of my family while I start training. I've been ready to go for a few months now. I've gone thru the High Road training program twice, and I've read so many posts, training diaries and company reviews I've lost count.

Posted:  2 months ago

Newbie Here! Best advice for a woman thinking of jumping in...

Even though I haven't started training yet myself, the biggest pitfall I see with this is the fact that when you hire on with a company with your CDL in hand, the company doesn't have a penny invested in you. Have an accident? There's the door, the company has no financial stake in keeping you. Can't make your pickups or deliveries on time? There's the door. The company isn't out anything by letting you go. On the other hand, with company paid training, they have an investment in you. They are more inclined to overlook certain things in order to get a return on their investment.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

How to get over bad experiences?

rofl-1.gif rofl-2.gif rofl-3.gif

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

How do you put a photo up

I usually don't have the log out problem if I remain active, like doing the High Road training tests, but if I go grab a bite, usually after about 30 minutes, it'll log me out.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

60 minutes

Driverless anything will be a pipe dream at best. Without a massive reconstruction of the entire nation's roadways (Interstates, secondary, and residential) the system just won't work. Satellite systems are only accurate to within say, 50 feet at best? Not bad when looking for a stationary object, but horrible when telling an 80,000 pound death machine where it needs to be in downtown. Interstates have decent lane markings for lane departure systems, but secondary and residential areas, at least here in the mountain state of West Virginia, not so much. I don't claim any first hand knowledge of what it would take, but I'll hazard a guess that the cost would be astronomical.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

How do you put a photo up

Bold Italic Underline Quote Photo Link Smiley Links On TruckingTruth

I see these buttons

Upload New PhotoNo file chosen

I see these buttons

Upload New Photom2.jpg Please enter a caption of one sentence or less: Test

Then this is next

0083516001629074458.jpg

Then after 15 tries, it finally goes thru!!!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

How do you put a photo up

Yeah, I tried it again, still not working. I decided to just give up.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

How do you put a photo up

That might have been the piece of the puzzle we have been missing right there. I personally didn't know that there was a size limit.