Profile For John G.

John G.'s Info

9 months ago

John G.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

John G.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Can I get loads with 16-20 ft Utility Trailer?

Hey all, I have a truck driving job hauling aggregate that i start May 19. However, I am always looking for extra hustles to make money.

I sort of need a utility trailer (centex 16') to haul my lawn equipment, atv's, etc. I was wondering if I could transport any small freight in this trailer for money if I joined a load board. Obviously my long term goal is to buy my own truck , but I can use this trailer (it costs about $3,500) around the house, but would like to find some extra ways to make money with it. If I have a free afternoon and can make an extra $200 by helping people move, I am a happy man.

I wouldn't complain about having it in my driveway, but I can mow lawns (I have all of the equipment) and can help people move (small moves, but stuff like fridges that wouldn't fit in a truck bed) with the trailer. I also have a tire business, so I can toss the tires in the trailer instead of heaving them into the truck.

Let me know if there are any ways I could monetize this as a part time thing. Thank you.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Applying for jobs- No drug test from previous employer

My friend who is a truck driver recommended I do local instead of OTR. I got an offer for an end dump job. I am going to start training a month for now. I am real excited. The hours are long- I will have to wake up at 3:30 to be at the yard and leave to pick up the aggregate by 5:00 am from the truck yard.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Applying for jobs- No drug test from previous employer

How long did you work for the previous employer? You were never asked to submit a pre-employment drug screening there (illegal), nor any random samples?

Good morning,

I am applying for JB Hunt Intermodal and the lady is asking me for paperwork from my previous employer.

The only thing is my previous employer is an owner operator, and he never drug tested me. She is asking for paperwork for a DOT drug test

I told her I didn't get one from him and she said she will note it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Howdy, John G. !

Good to see ya back, sir.

Does your previous company appear here? (It's a little tricky to use... go to the bottom, middle box.. and do a search, then make sure you search by 'name' unless you KNEW the DOT #'s.) FMCSA/Safer Web Search.

Also, if he 'did' test you (without your knowledge; though chances are slim, unless they 'forged' you in...) Look into the FMCSA drug clearinghouse, here: FMCSA Drug Clearinghouse.

Finally, do you have a DAC report, from 'ever?' Obtain a FREE copy of your DAC, HireRight.

Oh, whoops! One more: Get a $10.00 cc of your PSP if you can; Pre Employment Screening Program.

Hope this helps; PLEASE add your state .. at least!

~ Anne ~

ps: The guys above are so correct; you're an 'accident' waiting...sadly. Not even your fault.

If the lady at JBH won't take you on, here's this....

Go real : Apply For Paid CDL Training

and/or : Apply For Truck Driving Jobs

Thanks for the warm welcome- I didn't see it in the database, but he is leased to a big company. I guess I operating with their DOT number.

The guy from the local JB Hunt yard called me and asked "where the hell are you?" (politely) and I told him I am waiting to be cleared by the main office. I won't be mad if I don't get this job, I just wanted to be home everyday. I an offer for a dedicated route I can always drive instead.

In the meantime, I got a goofball job as a part time gopher for Penske. I will be driving their trucks back and forth from the clients to the shop and moving trucks from one Penske to another.

This job requires a DOT drug test, so it will count as legitimate experience.

I've never worked for JB Hunt, but from what I've seen it looks like they own and maintain their own chassis units. That's a good thing because the ones the rail own usually suck.

I did work for Pepsi for about 2 months and I quit because safety wanted me to wear 2 masks and safety glasses over my prescription glasses because of COVID. I wasn't going to do that and definitely not in April or may when it's warm out and you're doing a physical job.

The company is ok, the equipment isn't great (I saw a lot of violations) and it involves a lot of physical labor and a lot of FML backing situations. They operate 40 feet trailers and I had to do a lot of backing off the street, a lot of squeezing between Werner and fences and a lot of blind side backing. My backing did improve a lot. Probably the only positive out of that situation.

Interesting- thank you. Sounds like a pain in the ass. Not gonna be working for Pepsi anyway- I missed the interview. For some reason I thought they were going to call me, but it was a zoom meeting I was supposed to initiate. Whoops. Nothing good comes from Zoom lol

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Applying for jobs- No drug test from previous employer

Gotcha, thanks. I also had to explain that he paid me under the table, but at the same time, I was grateful for the experience.

I guess I will tell them that I didn't take the drug test then?

Overall, I am in a good situation- I will be paid over the summer regardless of which trucking job I get- I work as a school teacher and my contract ends over the summer. Then, I will have to figure out if I want to drive or teach full time.

Do y'all have any opinions over my choices?

I got offered a dedicated route from DFW to Kansas City with Dart. I will be home one or two days during the week and some weeknds. Here, I will get experience doing OTR

I may get a local JB Intermodal Job- I have watched videos on this- It looks like you take 53' containers to different customers. I like the idea of being home and the odd hours. They told me I would start my shift at 5:00 PM- I love the idea of working into the night and have never had a chance to do it yet

My other option is a Pepsi Local (non delivery) job. I am speaking with a lady about this job this afternoon. Don't know anything about it (yet)

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Applying for jobs- No drug test from previous employer

I worked for him for 3 months. Never asked for a drug test. It's illegal to ask for one?

I had one other job I applied for ask for some official documentation for a drug test and I just told them I don't have it. I told JB hunt some BS "i got one from my other employeer (a shop I worked at)" because they seem stricter.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Applying for jobs- No drug test from previous employer

Good morning,

I told her I didn't get one from him and she said she will note it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

How can I manage this turn? (Maps and photos included)

Thank yall for the responses..

Took the test this morning... And passed!

The feedback I got this time was I turned too wide (lol) and to look side to side more. My instructor and the examininer also told me you turn into the lane you come from. Eg. If you make a right from the right lane, go into the right lane

My buddy, a truck driver, told me "if your problem is hitting curbs, don't hit the ****ing curbs"

I took his advice and took em extra wide. It's what I would have to do with a 53'

I erred on the side of caution and avoided an automatic fail.. At least I got the license

Gonna wait out my contract or till I get fired from my current job, then start applying at companies

Dunno if I have any advice for new people, but for me, I was most surprised that the turns were what I had the most trouble with.

Parallel and backing was easy. I am also guessing drivers do it different from the manual. I've been watching truckers make turns ever since I failed, and some go way out, then turn, and other drivers dork the curb

My advice is know all 3 parts-pre trip, backing and how to drive. Also, if you're not experienced, wait on learning manual and focus on road rules- retest in manual.

I went to a fly by night school that taught me pretrip and backing well. I had 3 hours of private driving practice, but I spent the majority of those learning to shift-not on road skills. In retrospect, I would have asked them to teach me the road skills in an auto. There's no way I would've known this beforehand

To adapt to missing the first try, I got a practice session with a buddy/customer. He is a truck driver I've sold tires to. We got to do some fatass turns with a 53'.

Then I hired another CDL company- one that parks 3 trucks outside the DMV- to take me through the course and use their truck for my second road test.

This guy knew exactly what they look for and prepared me on the exact route. I wondered if the DMV lady was thinking "this **** again". If youre in DFW, I can give you his info.

So... Thats my story. I followed a JB Hunt truck for a portion of the test, and he modeled some of the turns for me. Thought that was funny- like copying answers from the guy in front of you.

Gonna earn my stripes with a first time job, then I want my to do heavy loads

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

How can I manage this turn? (Maps and photos included)

Thank you. Got more practice from buddy's truck. He coached me a lot too.

Question- if there is a situation where traffic isn't clear, do I just wait, even if I sit through a green light?

I blocked traffic a couple times in my friends (cars were lining up behind) and one car even drove in front of me to make a right while I was at the stop sign

Even though I feel uncomfortable, I would rather let the examiner know to make the next move, I must wait until it is safe to do so. I just feel uncomfortable waiting, as I am an aggressive driver when I'm in a car or pickup

Hay John G., (Juany)

From the looks of your videos, it seems you've got the concept!

Good luck on your CDL test, let us know.

~ Anne ~

ps: Not sure what Davy referred to, re: Shoulder...sorry!

0540863001639327909.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

How can I manage this turn? (Maps and photos included)

Thank yall so much for the responses. I went out and practiced with my truck and boat over the weekend. It doesn't look like I will be using a t680, instead a small daycab truck

Gonna go with the button hook and hug the lane Next to me, before making turn

What do yall mean by shoulder? I read that I can turn when it clears

Here are videos from my practice. I know they are different animals, but my boat and truck combo is about 10 ft shorter than the daycab/28ft trailer

Gas turns

Other turns

https://youtu.be/cFktLyzX_fg https://youtu.be/6RcRVIrfDnU

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

How can I manage this turn? (Maps and photos included)

Hey all,

I passed pretrip and backing, failed my road test, because I hit the curb on the right by the gas station. It's a right turn from the right lane only onto a 2 lane road.

I was wondering if someone could be kind enough to mark up the photo with the proper maneuver to make the turn. I was going to rent a daycab with 28ft trailer from a CDL school or my buddy offered me to use his truck and trailer. Only thing is its a T680 with a 53ft trailer which may make it harder. What do you think?

0280265001638552334.jpg 0939296001638552406.jpg

This is the location https://goo.gl/maps/XMPuQ6LgyfwWNE2e8

There is a little back story here. I was driving a manual truck, and I used all 3 of my private instruction time learning to shift. Basically the whole road test, I was focused on shifting proper, avoiding rolling back, and not stalling- I was paying secondary attention to the road.

I am going to take my next test in an auto so I can focus purely on the drive. I will prob buy a manual bobtail and be able to shift perfectly after driving it by myself for a weekend, then test again and get the restriction removed. I was kinda bummed, because I contacted my school to reschedule a drive, and they never got back with me. Fortunately, I found another company that teaches on the exact route and rents their truck.

Thanks,