Profile For Wile E.

Wile E.'s Info

New Bern, NC

Considering A Career

Wile E. On The Web

2 months, 1 week ago

Wile E.'s Bio

Greetings! I'm John and I'm an old fart (sounds like I'm introducing myself at some sort of AA meeting), a grandfather of 6, still working in the plastics industry (vacuum forming) as a mold builder/CNC programmer. I drove a truck for 5 years, back in 1978 - 1983, for a local corrugated container manufacturer. Day runs only, dispatching from 1:30 AM to 6:00 AM Mon - Fri. Home every night and weekends.

I wanted to go over the road for the better money, but with 2 little kids at the time it just didn't fit. So, I went in a different direction. Tried sales, ended up swinging a hammer building houses. Went from there into the plastics industry. I knew the manager of the company and he thought my woodworking skills were a good fit for a tool (mold) builder. Been there 30+ years.

But I never got the road out of my soul. Thinking about giving it another go.

Since there's no private messaging here, I can be reached at jbwillard56@gmail.com. Or, the "My Social Page" link is my Facebook page

Wile E.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 week ago

Trucking Life 2.0 - Living It, Loving It!

Congratulations!

dancing-dog.gif dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Old School vision update

Great to hear! If you get a load going to Chatsworth in New Bern, give me a heads up.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Will You Take The Jab?

Here’s an honest question. Does anybody here personally know somebody that has died from covid? Not a friends friends friends coworker? I know zero. I have had family members pass since the start of covid and it wasn’t anything related to covid. Even though covid is supposed to be the deadliest thing we’ve ever encountered globally. I know maybe three people who have gotten it and it was a fever and a runny nose at worse. If the death rate was really as bad as they said it was. Either you would of been dead or would of known ten people who died from it.

Yes, I know 2. The wife of a high school friend died last Feb. from it. I met her when she and my friend were dating, many years ago. Fast forward to the last few years, I've kept up with her and my friend through FaceBook, where she was very active. Her immune system was depleted from battling cancer, so she stayed home and avoided all public contact, which was hard to do because her husband was a preacher. He retired a year ago specifically to avoid so much public contact. He caught it anyway in early December and of course she caught it later that month. Battled long and hard, died early Feb. after several weeks on a respirator.

The brother of another good friend died from Covid related side effects. He got sick and refused to go to the doctor for help, until his wife found him unresponsive in bed and called the ambulance. He tested positive for Covid when he was admitted, developed pneumonia, and died a few days later.

The same good friend whose brother died...his wife had a horrible time with it. She is the type of person you would call the picture of good health. She's around 60, very active, goes to the gym regularly, watches her diet closely, all the good stuff. She went downhill quickly, hospitalized, put on respirator, eventually recovered enough to go home after about 50 days in the hospital. She is the first person in our local area that has recovered from the Delta variant and gone home after having gone on a respirator.

Most people I know that have had Covid are like me and my wife, mild symptoms. We both said that in any other time, we would not have missed a day of work. I've certainly gone to work feeling worse more times than I can remember over the years.

I'm not an anti-vax person, but I refuse to be force-fed any vaccine. I've had Covid. I have antibodies, and there are now multiple studies that show the efficacy of natural antibodies to be at least equal, or much better than, any vaccine. My health issues are just that...MINE! They are between me and my doctor. My wife understands that if my current employed mandates that I get the vax, I'll be out of a job.

Before the last presidential election, the current president and his VP both said they wouldn't trust any vaccine developed under Trump. Now, they both want to force us to take the very jab they said they wouldn't trust. BS! I don't trust them!

Oh well, I'll climb down off my little soapbox now.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Is there really a trucker shortage?

I'm looking at getting back into driving, which I did a long time ago for a few years, but I can say with certainty that most, if not all, of the blue collar trades industries are experiencing shortages and difficulty in hiring. My current job is in CNC programming, and there are a lot of job openings that employers are struggling to fill. Same thing with carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc.

Several of you have mentioned that it's not necessarily an overall shortage, but a shortage of good, skilled drivers. The same is true of all the trades, at least it is where I live.

For many years, the push was "get a college degree," and that push is still there. Skilled trades have been pushed into what is perceived by many as a lower class and/or less desirable occupation. That in itself is wrong and a shame. Skilled trades can offer substantial income, and a very comfortable lifestyle, without the massive college debt, and truck driving is right in there. None of the trades is a good fit for just anybody, but too many have bought into the "get a degree" mindset, and then end up with a mountain of debt and a degree that doesn't offer much in the way of a solid career.

Don't misunderstand: I'm not anti-college. For many, it is a great choice. I'm just saying that the trades industries are also a great choice for the right person, but too many won't even consider it.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

COVID

The most annoying effect of COVID has been the loss of taste. We don’t fully appreciate that sense until it’s gone. Everything tastes like cardboard and eating becomes only an exercise to get something in the tummy to stave off hunger. Since I’ve had plenty of time to research, I know that it can take from between 3 weeks to 6 months to get the sense of taste back.

Have any of you had COVID? What has been your experience as it relates to your driving?

Since I'm not driving, I can't relate to that part of your question, but both my wife and I have had Covid, back in February of this year. I lost all sense of taste & smell. Like you, I ate because I knew I needed to eat. I told my wife, if you've got something you know I wouldn't normally like/eat, bring it on. I can't taste it anyway!

The taste/smell senses came back gradually over a period of about 2 weeks.

Posted:  2 months ago

CDL-A vision questions

Old School,

I found this online regarding the proposed FMCSA change. You've probably already seen it, but just in case here's a link:

Medical board supports vision policy changes

Posted:  2 months ago

CDL-A vision questions

0211963001633096412.jpg

0988303001633096449.jpg

Top photo gives you an idea of my left eye. Bottom photo is normal right eye. Focal point is the tree circled in red. The condition is Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. The damage is caused by a temporary interruption to the blood supply to the optic nerve. It was caused by a mini stroke (TIA) in 2004, which I think was caused by an OTC cold medication I was using at the time, which interestingly was pulled from the market not too long after my TIA. But I can't prove it. There is no surgical repair.

Looking at a line of text, that jagged line, which is considerably fuzzier than my pic shows, allows me to see a few letters, the top half of some of the letters, and almost obscures some letters. Thus, the smaller the letters, the harder to see. There's a dip on the left side, and I can easily see objects in my left rear view mirror using only my left eye. Field of vision is full in the areas I see. The vision in the bad eye is a clear as the pictures suggest in that upper portion. My contacts/glasses correction is the same in both eyes. Depth perception is good. The condition is stable, and has been the whole time.

Posted:  2 months ago

CDL-A vision questions

Old School, thanks for the reply.

First, it's good to read that your situation is improving. Hoping you fully recover.

As for me reading a 20/40 line on the Snellen chart, it's iffy at best. Best I can describe what I see is this: if you're reading a line of text roughly the size of the 20/40 line on the chart, there is a fuzzy, slightly wavy line horizontally through the center of the line of text. Because it's fuzzy, the upper half of the letters (which is what I see) is difficult to make out. Below the fuzzy line is nothing (blindness). Moving up the chart, the bigger letters are easier to see. That's how my optometrist sets the correction in that eye, by the clarity with which I can see the larger letters. I have the full field of vision in the upper half. This week, I found a chart online that is designed for 10 feet, and I've been looking at that. Sometimes I can make out the 20/32 line on that chart, sometimes the 20/40 line is too fuzzy to read.

I may try to take the physical. If I can't pass the reading test, I'll have to wait and see if the new rules go into effect soon. If I can pass the test, I would still make any driving school and/or prospective employer fully aware.

Again, thanks for the help!

John

Posted:  2 months ago

CDL-A vision questions

I'm seriously considering getting back into truck driving. It's been a long time since I drove, so I would be starting from scratch. My big concern is the vision requirements. I have an issue in one eye (lower hemisphere loss of vision) that makes reading with that eye extremely difficult. Due to the nature of the damage, I have a full field of vision in the upper hemisphere, and still have good depth perception. I've had this since 2004, and it has remained stable.

Questions:

1 - Under current DOT vision requirements, could I qualify for a waiver?

2 - I'm aware that there is a proposed change to the FMCSA vision requirements that may make it easier for those with issues to qualify. Does anyone know if or when those new standards will take effect?

Thanks for your input!

Posted:  2 months ago

Per Diem For Senior Citizens

I know I need to talk to a CPA or tax attorney soon, but I wanted to pick the brains on TT first.

Agreed. A chat with a CPA would be good. That said, a good friend of mine IS a CPA, and since I'm nearing full retirement age, he and I had this conversation not too long ago.

Short version: it depends upon your age vs. your Social Security full retirement age. If you are of full retirement age, then you can earn as much as you want with no penalty. Example: my full SS retirement age is 66 years and 4 months. If I don't file for SS until that time, I can still earn as much as I want UNDER CURRENT LAW. I emphasize that because congress can always change the law.

However, if I start drawing SS now, before I reach 66 and 4 months, I am limited to earning $18,960 (for the year 2021) before penalties occur.

There's a higher limit if you're already drawing SS, but reach full retirement age during that year.

This link may explain it better than I can. May have to copy/paste the link.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Introduction

Old School, thanks for the reply! I have read a couple of the links you provided, and will definitely check out the ones I've not read yet.

I've been reading on this site for several weeks before I joined, and read about your eye issue. Wishing you a full recovery! When you do get back on the road, let me know when you're headed to Chatsworth. Maybe we can meet up.

I'm originally from the Laurens area in upstate SC. Used to drive for St. Joe Container, a corrugated container manufacturer. That company is long gone, but the plant itself is still there, now owned by International Paper, at the intersection of I-385 and US 221. WalMart has a distribution center diagonally across 385 from the plant now, but it wasn't there back in my driving days.

I'm fascinated by the comments and stories I've read thus far here on the site. Brings back a lot of memories and there's tons of good info to read.

I can relate on the eye issue. That's a large part of my hesitance, as I've had a vision issue in my left eye since 2004. Not sure I could pass the current vision requirements of the DOT physical, but I'm thinking about going to take a DOT physical and just find out. Even if I could pass it, I would want any prospective employer to know the details of that issue, including info from my optometrist or whatever else an employer might want.

Otherwise, I'm healthy, in decent shape. BP good, etc. In the gym 4 morning a week at 4:00 AM lifting. I still have to lift stuff at work, and sometimes have to climb all over the CNC to maintain or repair it, so I work out regularly.

Again, thanks for the reply. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Introduction

Being new here, I'll introduce myself. I'm John W. I'm an older guy, grandfather, drove a truck for 5 years a long time ago (manufacturing company, day runs). A family move to an area with less trucking jobs ultimately lead to a change in career path, and I've been in manufacturing for 30 years, currently driving a desk, sometimes out on the factory floor, primarily programming a multi axis CNC router.

Never got the road out of my system, especially in autumn. Loved driving the mountains of the Carolinas and Georgia in the fall! Thinking about getting back into driving and starting to look around at what's out there.

Anyway, found this place, been lurking and reading for a few weeks now, thought I would say hello.