Profile For TruckingMama

TruckingMama's Info

CO

Company Driver In Training

10 months, 3 weeks ago

TruckingMama's Bio

I’m a mom taking a leap of faith in trucking, wish me luck!

TruckingMama's Photo Gallery

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I finally got a job! 😅

Thank you! Are you a flatbed driver too?? I honestly really like it, not an easy job but worth the skills and effort put into it all

Congrats! Cool, another skateboarder to the group!!!

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I finally got a job! 😅

Thank you! And I’m so grateful that even in training my driver manager was able to pull strings to get me to my kids in another state.. that says a lot about a company. Even just spending my daughter’s 4th birthday in a hotel, she was so excited just to be with me that the smaller details didn’t matter. I’m glad I was able to celebrate with her

Congrats!! Enjoy your daughter’s birthday.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I finally got a job! 😅

Thank you! I’m super excited about starting in this industry, can’t wait to get my career going!

dancing-banana.gif Congratulations! dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I finally got a job! 😅

Thank you! And yes, Paul is a great trainer, thank you for the advice on his post earlier about the backing… as you already know.. it’s something I struggle with in general so I feel bad for posing a difficult situation for Paul 😬

Awesome news! Congratulations Shantiwa! Paul is a pro; you are in good hands.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I finally got a job! 😅

Thank you so much Anne! I didn’t think I could do the flatbed gig but I honestly love it!!! I was officially hired after passing the very demanding physical tests and the road and classroom tests in Spokane over a week ago, this company is a great company and specifically the Denver fleet is the top Fleet to be on so I’m excited for my future!

Paul is a great teacher, we’re butting heads a lot but finding out that we really need to focus on creating whatever alone time or space from each other each day to get through the training process lol Our struggle right now is that I’m struggling to learn backing and he’s struggling to know how to teach me 😂😅 He’s great at this though, a very safe and trustworthy teacher and I wouldn’t want it any other way! I’ll get your info from him! It would be nice to vent to another woman, I’m thinking I’ll just leave those other groups because it’s really not about trucking which is very unfortunate.. I’m definitely not in this industry, busting my back throwing 100lbs tarps over my head just to be treated like my only place in this industry is to look good for the guys.. I’ve got more respect for myself than that and I’m really just focused on providing for my babies anyways.

Thank you for the support!!

Hey y’all, I know I’ve not been on here much lately but for very good reason! I have been in orientation and training for System Transport! This company is amazing and treats their employees so great, no lie. The driver manager pushed to get me in a certain area here in Utah this weekend so I could spend my daughter’s birthday with her since I’ve not seen my babies for a few weeks. Paul (pianoman) posted a little bit about the training as he is the one training me. This is flatbed and I genuinely enjoy this job. I love the challenges and overcoming them. I am actually a really good driver, but really struggle with backing as many of you probably already know from previous posts when I was in CDL school lol But anyways just wanted to update y’all on my progress! Still very thankful for all the advice I’ve gotten from you guys and just a quick shoutout about this forum in general… I’m on other trucking forums and I’ll just be straight forward about it… they suck and are full of disrespectful people and women taking and posting very sexual pictures of themselves in or on their rigs… which I feel like ruins it for women such as myself who don’t want to sexualize women in this industry but that’s just my opinion and thoughts on that so honestly this is THE BEST forum I’ve been on and it’s not full of super truckers, the advice is so helpful and the posts are actually related to trucking! I love this forum and how everyone is on here! I’ll post pictures and updates when I can, and thank you again for everyone’s advice! And especially a HUGE shoutout to my boyfriend, Paul, (Pianoman) for training me and being such a great support through this entire process 😘

Big Congrats, Shantiwa!!!

We kinda heard that from Paul; some of us knew you were a 'duo' even before he posted, hahaha! I actually was thinking about 'asking you' in your other thread, why don't you just ask HIM to train you, LoL ! (Then, I thought better of it, .. oops!)

Be weary of those other forums, m'lady. The guys over at TTR have 'one' agenda, and it's never in the 'newbie's' (or the female's) favor. I know a few of those blokes; as Tom is/was a member for a bit.

I'll be looking forward to pictures, as soon as you can; and wish you well going forward. If you ever need to vent, 'female style' ... Paul has our contact information.

Quick question; are you an 'official' employee and getting paid in training already, then?!? If so, that's AWESOME! So many questions, haha... but I'll keep it simple for now, with just a huge,

0732716001646597405.jpg

You remind me a LOT of me; 25 years ago. Back then, I probably WOULD HAVE taken on flatbed, haha! Thirty years ago, I was hauling boat propellers, shafts, and zincs all over Florida, hotshot.. in a 3/4 ton Chevy, 3 on the tree, with a 28' trailer; in and out of ports, too!

You got this, girl. Listen and learn. I'm following!!

~ Anne ~

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

I finally got a job! 😅

My first interview!

Yeah I live in the springs and have been applying from Pueblo to Denver for jobs, which DC is hiring in fountain? I’ll go knock on that door right quick lol And yeah I’m sure that’ll look better on my resume rather than all the medical field stuff. It would definitely help me with my backing because I do struggle

There's a DC right off 85 and i25 in fountain, last time I was there, they had a help wanted sign out, check with them for a yard dog slot. I think that would be a fun job and I bet it would be great experience for backing.

Also I usually see at least a couple shuttle and or yard dog positions in craigslist.

I live in the springs part time so I know the challenges we face with wether and traffic. My terminal is in Denver. It takes 4 hours in bad wether and wrecks. Think about working and trying to get back home. High of 15 today, 6 to 12 inches. Monument pass will likely close by tonight.

The weather is bad enough that I actually take my home time in Dallas and fly to Denver during the winter. It works out cheaper by far because I can't run for a week at a time due to weather shutdowns if I'm there. If I understand what others who have experience are saying, you will still have to run in that weather.

I respect your drive, I'd say take that drive and apply it to something in springs or even Pueblo. There's several DCs right down off 50 in Pueblo. I would go down there in person and beat on some doors. They Always seem to need staff.

My first interview!

Thank you, I know that I’ll have to be patient waiting for the job that I need. Trying to think out of the box and rolling with the punches

Of course, it’ll be great to keep track of your progress. I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that, with patience, you will find a suitable job.

My first interview!

I looked for a company with that name and wasn’t able to find anything honestly, black Hawk, it kept taking me to other jobs and websites when I looked it up. Yeah I’m hoping to find a job being a yard hostler. That’s my only option at this point

Yeah that’s very true, I’m looking at warehouse and yard hockey positions and hopefully working my way up to driving. Definitely rethinking things and trying to think outside of the box. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated

All that admiration of you being a dedicate mother is crap and was probably an easy way to let you down easy. Mother's have a tough gig and kids are the number one reason there are so few women in trucking. Women enter when the kids are grown.

Get a job in a local.warehouse for money and keep applying to companie in the mean time. If there is an internodal in your area that may be a good option. A warehouse may have their own trucks so you may be able to move later if hired for a warehouse job.

Good luck

Discretion is the better part of valor. Have you noticed two common threads in the replies you have received?

1) everyone admires your determination and attitude

2) everyone is urging caution about the commute.

Kersey’s advice is sound wisdom. Forget any job with that brutal schedule. Get something local until you can get a job without a 3 hour commute. Have you noticed that no experienced driver is saying “Great job opportunity! Go for it!” ????????)

Remember, a live dog is better than a dead lion.

Did you ever look into Black Hawk or Progress Rail ?? It's shuttling parts to & fro the rails (wherever they are, in your area!) and pays rather well. Not sure about experience level, however. The Black Hawk guy here by us does dedicated hauls for CFX (railway) and .. I forget the other one; Mansfield Ohio is a major 'commercial' rail network/hub. Awesome history & pics, if you ever want to look it up!

It'd be a 'dirty' job, but ... much of trucking tends to be!

Yard hostler (dog) jobs OFTEN involve shuttling trailers from one facility (yard) to another, and WILL include some highway driving, as well as moving stuff in a certain (home) yard. If you COULD get into something like that, IMHO it'd be awesome. The yard guy at FAB (hubby's place) LOVES his job; and Tom's probably going to grab it up, when he retires. It's really NOT a bad thing!!!

Wish you the best; keep the gang updated!

~ Anne ~

My first interview!

I left a message for the hiring manager today hoping to get a job as a dock worker here in town with OD, has the same idea. Just trying to get my foot in the door

Thank you so much for all of that insight. I just got notified that I didn’t get the job, so I’ll be looking at a yard jockey position with either OD or AFW to get my foot in the door with a company and hopefully work my way up to driving for them. Thank you for the link, I’ll definitely read that to get a better understanding of those positions

Is the OD near you hiring dock workers? If they are that would be great way to get your foot in the door. We have a bunch of drivers who came off the dock, prove yourself reliable and they will probably move you into a driving position at somepoint.

Good luck

1) everyone admires your determination and attitude

2) everyone is urging caution about the commute.

Remember, a live dog is better than a dead lion.

My first interview!

Did you like working for the company though? Just want to know your thoughts about the company in general. What the benefits were like, did they take care of you as a driver?

I stayed with PFG for about a year and a half. They sent me to driving school and I signed a 1 year contract (now 2 years). The experience you have will vary greatly at each terminal. At first I really enjoyed it. As time went on I started to get burned out, allowed minor things to irritate me and cause me to hate it. I ended up leaving because I felt the beating my body was taking wasn't worth the money when I could make more but do less work. I averaged 60 hours a week M-F. This type of work is difficult because the faster you work the more they'll expect out of you. That's not to badmouth the company by any means. Their main concern is customers getting their orders in a timely manner. Many complaints of how trucks were loaded were met with "it couldn't be that bad, you got it all unloaded". Whenever we had new hires they wanted to take it easy on them so my route grew because they knew I could handle it. A couple weeks in a row I busted my ass on Friday to finish my 12 hour route in 8 hours. What ended up happening is i had more stops added to me from others that struggled. The warehouse builds pallets with sometimes 6 stops on them depending on the order sizes. You need to downstack that entire pallet to find the cases you're looking for but also organize as you go to minimize the wasted movements since time is money. You're also going to climb up steps from the side door in the nose of the trailer and downstack cases. Many restaurants also have stairs you may need to push/pull your loaded 2 wheeler (sometimes several hundred pounds) to get to where the customer wants it. Injuries are very common in this line of work. At my drop yard I ran out of in Des Moines we had 2 guys out with back injuries, another tore his ACL falling out of the trailer. We only had a 4 or 5 person group of drivers out of there. A sysco driver fell out of the trailer and caused damage to his spleen. If you look at the guys(and gals) that have been doing this work they're all hunched over, walk with a limp and have had numerous knee replacements. Fortunately I got out without being injured more than just being sore, pulled muscles and skin on my hands cracking from the temp changes.

I'm not going to touch on benefits because they've since gotten a new union contract and things may have changed but they offered the typical medical/dental, 1 week vacation after a year etc.

I'm going to add a link to my diary again because this is exactly what you'd be doing, just different region and customers. PFG as a rookie

My first interview!

I hadn’t even thought of that G town, he did mention keeping me local but that was kind of a thought that crossed my mind and not having seniority there’s actually no way to guarantee a completely local position.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advise, very helpful. A lot of good insight and different points of view

Something else to keep in mind, there will be times you will need to spend the night in a hotel if you are unable to complete your run. It happens frequently.

I'm glad you brought that up Gtown. That's one element I hadn't even considered. With PFG it's all seniority based and they DO have some runs that are scheduled as overnight and sometimes due to weather, traffic, or being held up for God knows what reasons it's possible you'd lay over. With foodservice companies they may take out a contract with a Healthcare group, nursing homes, or chain restaurants that requires them to deliver to all locations in a certain geographic area. Our warehouse was in Rock Island Illinois (just east of Davenport IA) and contracts they had required drivers to take overnight runs to Sioux Falls SD, Kansas City and St Louis MO, Lincoln NE among others. Some of those ended up being 3 days out because it was nearly an entire days drive to get there and do a couple stops. 2nd day was unloading usually a 48 or 53 foot trailer by hand and the 3rd day driving back.

My first interview!

Thank you for your input, I’ve applied for intermodal positions and not had any luck yet. I kind of figured I didn’t get the job, because of the commute and being a mom. Thank you for the warehouse idea, I’ll look into that as well. I applied for a gas station job but it’sa better idea to get on with a company that has trucks but just work in the warehouse and possibly work my way up

From a woman*s stand point... I want you to truly think about this

You are talking 3 hours of driving after your 14 hour work day. That leaves 7 hours to eat, sleep, shower, laundry clean the house and spend with the kids. By the time you get home you would be going to bed to leave again. This will leave very little time for the children at all. And it would be an excellent argument for the father to claim neglect. "She's never home so they should be with me".

That is in good weather. In bad weather you would be lucky to be home a few hours.

Good luck.

My first interview!

I have actually applied for positions to all of those companies you mentioned. That’s good to know, so you stayed with PFG for 1 year then? I know it’ll be physically demanding but if I can just make it through my 1st year then a lot of doors start opening up for me.

PFG job will be what I highlighted in my diary I previously linked. Very physically demanding and you'll be out there 2 wheeling groceries whether it's 100 degrees or -20. Rain, snow, freezing rain etc. Add in the frustrations of traffic, upset customers (they're never happy with when they get their order you're always too early or too late) and it's easy to get burned out. My first full year with them I made around $85,000 and ultimately wanted to find something less physical. I completely understand doing what you need to do to provide for your kids.

I know you tried OD but I see Saia, Fed Ex Freight, YRC, XPO, UPS Freight (now T-force I believe), Estes and ABF are all in Colorado Springs as well, perhaps it's worth checking them out if you haven't already.

My first interview!

I know I will struggle a lot with this job, but I’ve been without actual good paying work since I started my journey into the trucking field… that was in November. Honestly I’m on the verge of losing everything. Car, apartment, custody. I need to provide for my kids more than it matters to me that my body is going to get beat up everyday. I’ve dealt with my hips since I was little and honestly my drive to provide always outweighs my pain. I totally get what you mean though, doctors themselves don’t even understand how I’m still able to walk but what else is a mother to do?

Shantiwa, I'm just throwing out my opinion. PFG is going to be a tough gig. Really tough. I hope something else turns up for you. I know you once mentioned something about bone chips in your hips or something along that line. That job is going to be extremely physical. Most strong young men don't even last long in food service. It is not that I don't think you are capable. I see a lot of grit in you, and I think that is great. I just don't think you really comprehend the level of fatigue that job is going to put on you.

My first interview!

Yeah that’s exactly what the interviewer mentioned, because he did reference this case during the interview. I personally don’t want to be putting myself in a position like that and the interviewer didn’t want to be putting me in a possibly dangerous situation either. If he does hire me I’ll be transferred to my town as soon as he can. I just really think his concern for the commute is going to outweigh him wanting to hire me. But who knows, he might just give me a chance to prove myself.

I'll point out the Tracy Morgan accident. Driver was out driving all night, according to you in off duty. Started the job fatigued. Caused a 6 car accident and killed someone. Vehicular manslaughter. So you go ahead and log it however you want.

There was just a study done by fmcsa about commuting in which they found the average commute time to be around 25 min and with that data concluded that commute time wasn't an issue.

I don't see any regulations that say what the commute time should be logged as, on or off duty but I didn't do a deep search. If there is one let me know.

In the Tracy Morgan cases, the driver pleaded guilty to avoid jail time. He was awake for 24 hours. An employer can not tell you what to do on your off time, including sleep. It's common knowledge that you need to be well rested in order to drive safely. It's covered in the manual, on the test, during training and a bunch of times after. This was an experienced driver, considering Walmarts hiring standards so he knew better, he chose to ignore it.

My first interview!

Thank you for your input, I did make that exact drive when I was attending cdl school for a month. My school is just down the street from PFG lol But I would actually leave around 4:30am just to get to school an hour early to get extra time with the trucks. Then spend the day driving/backing and then head home most nights. There were nights that I slept in my car so I didn’t have to commute (my kids were with their dad) and slept in a friend’s rig. But when I did get home, I was tired as could be so I understand your view point and it is important for drivers to stay safe and companies to help keep drivers safe

My first interview!

It’s 1.5 one way without traffic, it’s a very physically demanding job. I’ll be using dollies, electric/manual pallet jacks, ramps and stuff like that. So it’s all over the place. I’d be hauling all different types of produce, frozen goods, fresh veggies/fruits to restaurants and I think small grocery stores?? He said there could be up to 20 stops a day but mostly around 10-15. They’d keep me local so I think my stops would be 10-15 a day. If anything, if he hires me he’ll have me do my training 8-12 weeks up in Henderson and then send me back to Colorado Springs once there’s an opening in my town for this position is what he mentioned. So who knows, I do hope I get it

Not true Sid.

1.5 hours round trip or one-way?

What exactly will you be doing?

My first interview!

Yeah that’s what the guy had mentioned, although they have a possible opening down in my town so he mentioned transferring me once that spot is available, if I get this job

Commute drive time counts as off duty time and thats why it's a concern. Most local companies won't hire outside of a 45 minute radius for that reason. It leads to fatigue that gets worse over time and that leads to poor work performance and/or accidents.