Profile For Brandon G.

Brandon G.'s Info

Charlotte , NC

Company Driver In Training

7 months, 3 weeks ago

Brandon G.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  2 months ago

Hammer GPS app???

Has anyone used the Hammer GPS app? If so, what was your experience? Thanks

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

ADHD Medication

It’s a controversial drug a lot of physicians won’t prescribe. Plus it would be hard to differentiate a positive test result for adderal vs amphetamine usage.

Posted:  4 months ago

My first month as a local driver…

I’m actually working as a short haul shuttle driver moving trailers between 3 different facilities, no more than a hour away. I usually work 12pm to 10:30 and off on Sunday. Although on Saturday, I usually work as a yard jockey.

Posted:  4 months ago

My first month as a local driver…

I recently graduated my CDL class about six weeks ago(paid out of pocket)and it took a few weeks to get hired by a company. I just just completed my first month of work and absolutely LOVE IT!!! I’ve been clocking close to 70hrs a week and really don’t feel burnt out at all. I guess if you enjoy your job that makes all the difference. I definitely have learned 10 times more in the last month than my entire cdl course(I really learned very little in my cdl class). I just wanted to post this as encouragement to other cdl students and recent grads have a good weekend my friends.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yard driver???

Well, I actually have 2. One is 14 and suffers from Cushings disease and the other is 5 and would be a good candidate for taking on the road.

What prevents you from taking your dog? Too big? Maybe you can figure out a way. Good luck!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yard driver???

My other question is, would this work be considered tractor trailer experience since we do occasionally move trailers to other facilities? I know a strictly yard driven position wouldn’t but how about in this case?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yard driver???

Thanks for everyone’s comments.

I’m currently living in North Carolina.

It would help more, if new people joining here, would put WHERE they live, etc, so they can get more direct answers to your questions.

My last company runs local up and down California, up into Oregon & Washington state routes. Or just locally here, in LA, Orange,San Berdoo, Riverside counties. Big Lot DC's, Wal-Mart DC's, water bottle loads, paper rolls, general freight, etc within Calif. They ONLY require 3-9 months experience, and pay like $25 hourly to start

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yard driver???

Also, this company does occasionally shuttle trailers to other facilities. So, I’m subject to DOT rules.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yard driver???

I’m a recent cdl A graduate. I have a elderly dog, that I really can’t bring on the road. I’ve received job offers from quite a few mega carrier but given my situation, I can’t commit to OTR jobs. So, I’ve been looking for something local and my first job offer is a yard driver. Do you guys think this would be suitable for a recent grad or should I hold out for something with more extensive training. I do have a few interviews scheduled for the next coming weeks as a driver trainee for a local gig/s. I am anxious to get back to work since I took 5 weeks off for my cdl course and paid out of pocket. Thanks for your help.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Road Kill Chronicles

Huh. Ummm, well props on starting a unique thread. I don’t think this topic has been covered.

I’ve been driving nights a lot and sometimes get bored. I started making a mental list of the road kill critters that I’ve seen on Interstates, US and State highways.

These are my unscientific observations.

Most Common Road Kill Critters

1. Armadillo (must be dumb as a rock)

2. Possums

3. Raccoons

4. Deer

(Hey DOT, please spend some money to remove the deer carcasses. I appreciate that buzzards and crows need to eat, but come on guys, gets gross after a couple weeks)

Less Common, but have seen more than once

1. Tortoises

2. Coyotes

3. Fox

4. Skunk

5. Squirrel

6. Raptors (Owls, Hawk)

7. Dog

8. Cat

Very typical to see Armadillo, Possum and Raccoons in clusters of 2-3. Must be getting whacked while hooking up for romance.

Usually I see the smaller 6”-8” tortoises, this is migration season for males seeking mates. However, I saw two very large 12” at least tortoises I think still alive on rural MO highway. I was able to straddle them so hopefully didn’t kill it.

I’ve seen both a live Armadillo and a Possum crossing interstate at night. Again I was able to straddle them with the truck, but don’t know if the trailer missed or not.

Passed a Bloodhound sitting in tall grass on a rural MO roadside. Thankfully it just sat there as I passed.

It breaks my heart to hit someone’s puppy or cat. I hit a puppy with my car on US65 in AR. The dog was chasing something across the highway at full speed. No way to avoid it. Some people should take better care for their family pet safety.

The grossest sighting was coming upon a fresh deer kill at night around a curve. The poor animal was torn to pieces. Blood and guts everywhere. Felt like I needed both a truck wash and shower after that one!

I see a lot of deer around 1:00-3:00am. They like the fresh grass along highways. I usually mentally tell them “Stay where you are, Sweeties. I don’t want to kill you”.

I know this is a macabre topic, but I was bored!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Which Truck Driving Schools Specifically Train you on Automatic?

Sorry, I meant a restriction to only drive manual transmission

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Which Truck Driving Schools Specifically Train you on Automatic?

Right, I meant a restriction to only drive automatic transmission.

Can you actually have a automatic restriction on your license?

Sure. Many states will show it as a restriction, i.e. "Auto Only".

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Which Truck Driving Schools Specifically Train you on Automatic?

Can you actually have a automatic restriction on your license?

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Which Truck Driving Schools Specifically Train you on Automatic?

I think most schools train on automatics with a option to train on manual. I’ve heard it’s easier to learn to drive a 10 speed if you’ve never driven a stick shift since the shifting procedures are quite different, so maybe give it a try.It’ll be one less restriction on your license.

Hi y'all quick question... Are there any Truck Driving Schools that train you on Automatic transmission? Unfortunately, I never learned how to drive a stick shift. Let me know, please and thank you. Safe travels

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Sleeping while vehicle is in motion

I’m a recent cdl grad and I’m trying to pick a company and route. I’m considering team driving and it just occurred to me, how do you safely sleep while the other is driving? I’m guessing there are no seat belts and it just seems pretty unsafe spending so many hours on the road without a seat belt. Sorry for the noob question and thanks for a great site. Thanks

Posted:  6 months ago

Should I be upset?

I passed!!!

Posted:  6 months ago

Should I be upset?

This company contracts with a few mega carriers. I personally did pay out of pocket but could of done the paid training route. In fact most class is receiving paid training.

One of the reasons we always recommend Paid CDL Training Programs. I was trained by CFI for free. The school had plenty of trucks.

Pre trip must be memorized for your CDL test.

Trucking school is like boot camp.

You will have to do whatever it takes for you to pass the test.

Posted:  6 months ago

Should I be upset?

Im in my second week of cdl training. Im not going to mention any names but this school advertises classes of 4. So, first week in the yard we have 10 students and 4 students who have failed and are retraining(totaling 14) We end up just getting about 2 attempts on each maneuver. I’ve been backing up fishing boats since I was a kid and quickly caught on, so I’m not too upset at this point. The second week, we are on the road. In class they ask for a show of hands,” who wants to drive manual?” Eight people raise their hands and the instructor answers,”We only have one truck, so y’all are only getting 2 days in a manual and 2 in auto”. First day we show up and the instructor hops in the drivers seats and starts driving for about hour and 15 mins, eventually we end up at the other campus. We are informed we need to pick up supplies. They have us start loading boxes of automotive fluid in truck and we head back to other school. Once we unload supplies, we’ve burned over 3 hours of time and take a break for lunch. After that, 4 of us split about 5 hours of time. Second day in auto and I’m pretty sure my instructor was sleeping most the time and no instructions at all. 3rd day in manual, I personally clocked 20 mins driving time and we got back to 2.5 hours early and called it a day. The last day in auto, same thing, we did get all our time in but no instructions and pre-trip practice. I’ll also add the vehicle has no functioning seat belts in back seat. I feel like I’m getting really short changed, is it me?

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

How many driving hours…

Thanks for info everyone

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

How many driving hours…

I was wondering how many driving hours are required to complete CDL A course. I’m in North Carolina. Thanks