Comments By Weatherman

https://www.kiss925.com/files/brick.jpg avatar
  • Weatherman
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years ago

Im a nervous mess right now HELP!!

Michael,

It took me three tries to pass my CDL Exam and had many of the same feelings you described. I also had to sit for 10-14 days with only one "refresher drive" between each of my test dates. The biggest thing that finally got me my CDL is that I finally learned to be more relaxed (but focused) when I was behind the wheel. I know it is not easy, especially when you have an intimidating instructor next to you (had one of those also), but try not too be hard on yourself, focus on what you need to do, and most of all do not give up hope.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

My experience with SAGE truck driving school of Rome, NY (So far!)

Yep, That is how my course was set up. I did one week in a class room. The next week learning/practicing Pre-Trip Then on to the 11 Drives (along with 6 observations). I was just curious how standardized they were.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

My experience with SAGE truck driving school of Rome, NY (So far!)

Sounds like I good deal. I just completed school with Sage in Lexington SC. The instructors here were pretty awesome. Just curious, how many hours is the course in NY and do you need to have your permit prior to attending school?

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

How many hours of training are required?

Why does the hiring company want to see your training certificate? Don't they just want to see your CDL?

Most companies require that you attend a CDL school to get your license (as opposed to having a friend/relative teach you). As such, these companies require proof that you completed the course. Heck, my school even gave me transcripts with my GPA because I guess some companies want that info.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

How many hours of training are required?

How does a hiring company know how many hours of training you have had?

It is usually printed on the training certificate you receive from your school after graduation.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Congrats! Just got my license also. Good feeling isn't it? smile.gif

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Third Times is a Charm! Finally got my CDL

I have not been one here lately, but after failing to complete an alley dock on two straight tests I was starting to think my journey as a driver was over. Fortunately, things finally clicked when I went out on a practice drive with one of my schools instructors and was finally able to pass my skills test (and the rest of the exam) the next day. Up next is to enjoy the 4th of July holiday then on to finding a job.

Prescription adderall

K.T. I was prescribed Adderall for ADHD by the Air Force during my time in service (22 years). Unfortunately there is no clear answer to your question and I am guessing the research you have done so far has ranged from somewhat useful to downright ignorant. Hopefully what I share here at least falls into the former category.

As posted, The CFR states that a medical practitioner that is familiar with your medical history will have to sign off on your DOT physical and state that the prescription will not adversely affect your ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle. What this means is that your personal physician is most likely the only person that will even consider signing off on your DOT physical. In my case the military doctor that I had been seeing for several years was willing to sign off my physical with the prescription, however I had already decided to discontinue my medication when I retired a couple months ago.

So far pretty simple right? Get your doctor to approve the DOT physical and all is good.

Nope! Here is where the uncertainty comes to play; first, as mentioned earlier, your physician my not be qualified to due to recent regulation changes that require care providers to be on a national registry. Second, even if your doctor can sign off your DOT physical and you get your CDL license the company that hires you will want you to take another physical with their physician and since that practitioner will not be familiar with your medical history... well, you hopefully now can understand where uncertainty really comes into play.

As far as my advice for you. It is also hard to say since I do not know you and am in no position to tell you how to live your life however you have at least couple options.

Do like me and consult your doctor to see if you can discontinue the Adderall or at least change your medication to an approved non-stimulant. If it is practical this would probably be the best option, but once again I don't know your situation.

or,

If you have to keep taking Adderall understand that there will be no guarantees, but never say never and talk/apply to as many companies as possible then ask a lot of questions. I did mention my ADHD/Adderall prescription to a Werner recruiter and he did not seem concerned about it, but then again he will not be the person signing my DOT physical if I were to chose to work there.

One last very important thing to keep in mind if you should choose to discontinue your Adderall prescription most companies do hair follicle drug testing which means it will probably be at least 90 days before you will pass a company drug test. So you will either have to wait or be prepared to provide your drug history with a letter from you doctor stating that the prescription is no longer current.

Once again, I apologize for not being able to give a clear and easy answer, I can only share my experience so far, but hopefully you can glean at least something useful from this post.

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

That is awesome. Once you get rolling let me know. If our paths cross we can grab a coffee or something. Are yo going to a private school?

Yes I am in a private school here in SC. Hopefully I well have my CDL in a couple more weeks. After that, I am looking to get in the Dry van division and my recruiter says my orientation will be in Georgia. I will happily shoot you a message once I am up and rolling.

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

Thank you for your updates for they have been a great help. I already have a pre-hire with Roehl and hope to sign on with them once I complete my CDL course. Enjoy your home time sir, it is well earned. good-luck.gif

Backing In The Yard - HUMBLE PIE

What makes me nervous about learning to back/dock is I only get a limited number of hours of practice during during school. Unlike preparing for my pre-trip inspection where I have 24 hours a day to study between now and my test date I will probably only get 12 or so hours to practice my backing skills.

My private CDL school Experience as a Veteran

Thanks for the post. I am also a veteran going to a private school on my GI bill (on my 3rd week now). How many weeks does your school last? Best of luck to you and hope to hear more updates.

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

Not bad. Thanks!!!

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

Thanks for the update WT. Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how much did the new CB cost you?

Who needs all this training? There's a BETTER WAY!

Given all of the cleavage shots at the start of this video, I thought it was going to be something totally different than it turned out to be. shocked.png

Home area requirement

Would your friend in Virginia let you establish an address at his place? Some of the experienced folks may want to chime in if it's feasible, but it should give you more job options. And yes Sedona, AZ is absolutely gourgous.

Bummer Dude II

Is there a good reference to look that rule up? I had no clue there was 30 day waiting period after taking a narcotic (prescribed or otherwise) and am now wondering what else I am unaware of.

Bummer Dude II

Sorry to hear that Jopa. You would think that company's would do some sort of medical pre-screen/questionnaire before sending students out for training. Still, it seems being up front is better than popping positive for a narcotic on a test and having bigger problems than a 2-3 week delay. Stay positive, I am sure your patience and faith will pay off and you will be in a big rig in no time.

smile.gif

Beginning new career with PTL. (A diary)

Greyhound is the worst way to travel I've ever experienced and they have the most miserable employees imaginable.

. . . which is why I bought a plane ticket to Springfield, MO . . . the recruiter said I will be reimbursed the cost of the bus ticket which makes avoiding two days on a bus cheap . . . I also got the travel insurance which will also work out since I had to postpone my trip . . .

Jopa

smile.gif

This will be my first option if it is financially feasible.

Starting career, have questions.

I am not sure if they are hiring in your area, but Roehl Transportation has some pretty good at home options. Just keep in mind less time on the road = less pay.