Comments By Homefire

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/flag.jpg avatar
  • Homefire
  • Comments:

New Trucking Family, New to TT

Thanks so much for your support Starcar. I was starting to feel a little silly, but typing it all out is helping me...

I am so amazed by all the lady truckers that are here! You Go Girls with your Bad Selves...lol

Doing something different was starting to feel weird, so I am relieved that you think it will be valuable.

New Trucking Family, New to TT

After I talked to him again last night he gave more detail about how his class is structured.

They covered all the basic human resources stuff (pay, benefits, policies) and issued the company book (a 2" binder packed full of material). The instructors identified which drivers were looking to leave out with a trainer right away (after finishing school) and which would like hometime first. My soon-to-be went into this with the idea he would take the first trainer ASAP after school ends, he communicated that point and we aren't sure which way it will go.

They talked about all the basics: pretrip, vehicle systems, control systems, coupling/uncoupling, shifting, ect.

Today they are working on trip planning and log books. His company issues a paper log pre-printed with the company info that all the students will use in addition to the qualcom system so they can learn paper logging.

Wednesday starts shifting practice (where they will log into qualcom for the first time) and Thursday they will learn coupling and uncoupling (hands on).

Half of the class will go on the road next week, while the other half learn to back. The groups will switch and repeat for the following week (final week).

He said he may get to the terminal close by when they go on the road (they often have the students come to the busy terminal that is about 25 minutes from home for us) so there may be a lunch date in our future or at least a glimpse and a wave if he is in and out.

I feel a little silly posting so much so often, but I am really enjoying the outlet and hope that at least some of this info may be useful to a newbie/newbie significant.

Thanks for your tolerance..lol :)

New Trucking Family, New to TT

No roommate as of this afternoon. He was able to call after class and tell us about his day, the kids were happy to talk to him :)

Day 1 of classroom training went well for my soon-to-be-trucker.

He filled out a ton of paperwork and met his classmates. There are 11 students total. He has 8 chapters of homework from the company issued book. He told me that tomorrow will be another classroom day and Wednesday they will be learning to shift.

I kept to my routine at home and although I missed him dearly, it was a very productive day. I kept him "updated" through FB so he can check it while he has time: including pictures and anecdotes about the day.

The hardest parts of the day for me have been the times we are used to being together. My 10 yr old said she cried a little at school today, but she is feeling less sad this afternoon. He will call again before the kids bedtime.

So far so good.

Thanks again for listening.

New Trucking Family, New to TT

I just got my first call from him. I could tell he was choked up and of course I was too. It doesn't even seem possible that it could be so hard only 9 hrs later, but I digress.

He arrived a little bit before check in time, but since his room was ready he had to only give his name, sign the company form, and be shown to his room. He says it is a nice place with a pool and a gym (I am not a truck driver yet, but I am staying at the Holiday Inn, does anyone else remember those commercials??). He didn't see an elevator and had to heft his stuff upstairs but he says it wasn't bad. He was disappointed to find no microwave in the room, but when he hunted for one he found a full kitchen available to guests and a concierge that promised to bring one up to him as soon as it comes available.

The shuttle will arrive in the morning and take them a few miles to the terminal that houses the school. He is the first to arrive for check in, so he isn't sure if he will get a room-mate or who it might be. (I am hoping for a nice person, with good hygiene and good morals :) )

He spoke with the kids when he called and they were relieved to hear from Daddy. I noticed that our youngest got a little flustered and had a hard time with talking over the phone so I plan to keep an eye on her and help her remember to tell Daddy the important stuff.

Throughout the day I posted little pictures and short "updates" to a "secret" Facebook group that is only visible to he and I. He took a few pictures on the drive down and posted them and I showed them to the kids. I hope he wants to Skype later (and the hotel internet has a good enough signal) because I do and I know the kids will want to.

Sorry I have rambled on so, I appreciate being able to post about our experience here. Thanks for listening.

New Trucking Family, New to TT

Well......Sleep was difficult for the both of us.

He is heading down the road to his company school this morning. It wasn't easy, but he had a joyful/still tearful send off.

Although we knew what this would be like and talked it backwards, forwards, and sideways, it is still a shock that he is gone. Time to start adjusting.

Decided to declare it a video-game day for the kids (usually they are very limited) and wait for his call.

Thanks for listening :)

New Trucking Family, New to TT

My soon-to-be trucker leaves tomorrow! I woke up this morning and it felt like my heart shattered. I started leaking and everything (tears). I'm going to drink a big cup of "suck it up butter-cup", put on my big girl panties, and make sure this send off isn't like a dag-gone funeral. Whew.

It is hard, but I am so proud of him :)

Thanks for listening.

Soon To be graduate

I agree with RedGator. When my Dad had progressed as far as he could with his company (becoming a trainer ect). He opted for becoming an instructor. Hard for O/O's to make ends meet from what I've heard, though I am no expert by ANY means lol. :)

A quick hello and my intro

Good Luck :)

NEWBIE!! Many questions!!!

Welcome Trixx!

Husband going to drive and I want to quit my job and do it with him

Any updates?

Whats a Rookie to bring

My soon-to-be trucker is leaving for company sponsored training in 9 days. He is not guaranteed any hometime before he gets on a trainers truck (could be out a total of 8 weeks). His pack list is as follows:

Classroom (this depends on your company):

Pens/Pencils: Clear 6in Ruler Calculator Notebook Motor Carrier Road Atlas (I've heard this is essential even if not company required) CDL Study Guide from DMV Work gloves (one pair for general one for fueling) Multi-tool with changeable bits Flashlight

Personal Care:

Money! Everything he uses for hygiene Over the counter meds (ie: Ibuprophin, Allergy Meds,, Pepto) 4 Short Sleeve button down shirts 2 Long Sleeve button down shirts 4 pairs of Jeans LOTS of underwear and socks (!extra! in case laundry proves difficult) Steel Toed Boots (required by some companies) Flip Flops for Showers Laundry Bag Sleeping Bag Pillow Extra Pillow Case Vaping Liquid, Batteries, and Atomizers (for e-cig) Towel Shelf Stable Groceries Paper Plates/Bowls Plastic Forks/Spoons/Knives Truck Driver's Day Planner An empty backpack

Entertainment/Communication: Harmonica Nexus Tablet Cellphone (subscription to Spotify for music) Thumb Drives Loaded with Movies. Charger Cables/Power Sources

He is carrying most of these items in a half duffle. His bedding will travel in his laundry bag and his groceries will be boxed.

I am sure I am forgetting something...lol, but I hope this helps. :)

New Trucking Family, New to TT

Text messages are better in some ways than phone calls because they can be read when the receiver has the time to do so. And it's so nice to get a message, hear the little tone and know you have something to look forward to when you have the time to answer it.

Thank you Mistelle!

We also learned how to Skype and I'll be trying to take lots of pics and send emails for "downtime" when he can't be on the phone or texting. An unlimited cell plan seems to be a MUST when your honey is OTR.

New Trucking Family, New to TT

Thank you so much for the warm welcome Starcar!

When my soon-to-be brought up trucking I nearly dismissed the idea out of hand. It sounded nuts. I didn't think HE could handle the idea of being away from home and especially the children. After a long hard look at the local job market, talking about a lot of what ifs, researching the industry/companies/regulations, watching a ton of You-Tube videos, and reading so many shared experiences here and on another popular trucker's forum, we decided that this would be the best way to work our family out of poverty. When the decision was finalized and we decided to "go for it" we got incredibly excited.

TT has been a big help in finding and comparing company info. We didn't even know there was a such thing as company sponsored training at first! We were thrilled that he could get started quickly even though he had no recent work history and very little/no money to start. We had settled on a company with a fair/poor reputation with the idea he would work a year and then look for a better company once he had experience and CDL-A (and kinda dreading the piles of steaming annoyance that were sure to follow). On a whim he decided to try for a much better company he learned about here. To our amazement, they accepted him!

Knowing very little about trucking beforehand, I was surprised at all the requirements. The trucking industry is unlike any other. What typical American four-wheeler would have guessed the importance of the trucking industry to the economy and our daily lives-WHOA! All the hoops wannabes have to jump through and how important it is to learn SAFE driving. 80,000 lbs takes how long to stop at highway speeds???

My soon-to-be has less than two weeks before training begins. He will be gone for about 8 wks with no guaranteed home-time. It will take a minimum of 4 wks for him to draw a paycheck (training pay starts after classroom). Thankfully the company's home-time policy is good and we will see much more of him at home after completion of training.

The closer the time comes for him to go the more anxious I am about missing him and staying connected (and 1,000,001 other things...lol). The trucker's wives pages on facebook have been a huge help in getting a clearer picture of what it FEELS like to be the one at home, the problems that arise, and ways to keep them in the "loop" at home.

So much has changed in such a short period of time. I look at trucks on the road so much differently now. I get annoyed with accident reports on the local news that talk about TRAFFIC when a trucker and their family is going through a life-threatening injury. Even the way I talk to my friends and family about trucking has changed.

Sorry this is getting so long, but I will end with a few word for women who are just beginning to discuss this with their husband/sig other and considering this industry:

-Talk it through in real terms!

-Learn all you can about the industry and keep learning everyday.

-Build a support system of friends and family and forgive them when they are somewhat insensitive about the stresses that you are experiencing.

-Know that it is easy to talk about but gets harder emotionally as it nears "go time"

I hope to have more to share as time goes on and we get into the thick of this new adventure. Thank you for listening :)

New Trucking Family, New to TT

Hello All!

My soon-to-be-trucker leaves for a company sponsored training program next month. All the info here on TruckingTruth has been priceless (he found his company here..lol). Big thanks for all the great info and advice.

It is going to be a big adjustment having him away from home so much. We have been together for 11 yrs and are a blended family with four kids and two critters.

I look forward to reading more great advice and info about trucking and sharing our experiences!