Comments By Randall H

https://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj525/rjorg/1975035_10200937499038329_597347219_n1_zps6403377b.jpg avatar
  • Randall H
  • Comments:

How to Parallel Park

In Texas you've got to do a blind side parallel park to pass the test. It is usually the main maneuver that gets people in trouble on the test. While I never really liked the so called "formulas" for parking maneuvers, for some people it makes it much easier to get it in the box. If it works for someone then I'm all for them using it, but once you get in a truck as a solo driver you will find that every time you have to park or back that rig into position it is a different scenario each time. You will eventually learn to "read" your trailer and know what you've got to do to make it go where needed. At the beginning if the formulas help you secure that CDL then by all means use them, but just realize they are kind of like stepping stones to help you advance to a higher level of driving as your career advances along.

I totally agree. In fact, without any formula, before I even tried the maneuvers for the test......I alley docked at a store and nailed it the first time. The biggest thing in real life is learning how to set it up. Only experience with the vast multitude of real life situations can make one a master. But for a tool to pass the test, these formulas help and in the process you learn things that can be applied to real life.

How to Parallel Park

THANKS Randy! While I'm still a LONG ways off from training, at LEAST I can have the general idea and remember this when the time comes..CAN NOT imagine doing it from the 'blind' side!!!..looking forward to more tips!

It sounds awful....the blind side, but by using this formula in reverse, it will get you to where you are backing up towards the 2 target cones and then you can use the driver side mirrors which is actually easier than the reverse. So I actually prefer the blind side. With either one, knowing the points to do the next move........when the front trailer tire is on the line and when the drive tire just gets inside the box...........those were the two things that made it all come together for me. Even if I were to violate a barrier....2 points.....and then pull forward to in the box.....that's a pass!!! If I had 1 violation of a barrier on the off-set and 1 on the alley dock.....I would still pass the entire test. I know I can alley dock and off-set with ZERO points. So if I did get points on the parallel......there is no way I would fail. It is not required to get them all perfect, just to get them without exceeding the allowed points.

Learn the formulas and the adjustments to make them work and you will pass the test.

How to Parallel Park

Well I don't know why but some of the pictures loaded sideways. Sorry. What you can do it save each picture to your computer and then you can open it and rotate it to see it right side up.

Ignore that....at first it appeared that way, but after I made the second post, all of the pictures showed right side up.

How to Parallel Park

How to Parallel Park

Many students struggle with learning the backing maneuvers to take their CDL exam. To complicate things, with no prescribed method to follow, it becomes a hunt and peck search for getting the big rig into the box. Many instructors teach a "formula," as mine did. Is it an exact thing that automatically puts the rig into the box precisely the same way every time? Of course not. Little things like exactly where the truck is lined up, where you start the next move, how fast you move, etc. will cause differences that require adjustments to get it right. BUT, it serves as a very good starting point and something to work with to minimize those needed adjustments. What I am posting is that formula for doing a driver's side parallel park.

Once I learned to see the points of when to make the next move, I consistently put the rig into the box successfully several times in a row on the first day. Now I KNOW I can put it in there and pass the test. There is a similar formula for the off-set and the alley dock. The instructor showed me each of them one time and I was able to do them both successfully the first time I tried. I will post those formulas in the future.

trucking backing-up diagram and tipstrucking backing-up diagram and tipstrucking backing-up diagram and tipstrucking backing-up diagram and tipstrucking backing-up diagram and tipstrucking backing-up diagram and tips

To do the blind side (from the opposite side), just reverse everything.

GOOD LUCK!!!

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

I just have a few questions before I make that call.

When you start training, how long till you start getting paid?

That depends..... If you get an instructor immediately after completing orientation then you can expect the training phase to get your CDL to take about 3 weeks. But, if you get stuck waiting to get an instructor....and there are people still waiting from my orientation class while I'm 2 weeks into my on the road training.....then obviously that stretches that time span out. During this training phase there in NO PAY, but they will advance you $200 per week to help you cover food expenses. Once you have your license and are assigned a trainer for the second driving phase (to get 30000 miles) then you are guaranteed at least $600 per week. If you drive more than 5000 miles in a week as a team then you will make more than $600.

While in school and riding with an instructor, how long till you get to come home?

Once you get your license and start the second driving phase they want you to get in at least a couple of weeks on the road before taking time off. They don't want you off right after getting the license because they want you to keep the process going to get it more ingrained in you before taking time off. So you're looking at somewhere in the range of 6-8 weeks before getting time off, barring having to wait extensively for an instructor.

How much money should you bring with you when you leave for school?

They house and feed you for orientation so very little money would be needed for that time period. And after that if you need it they advance you $200 per week. If you don't need it and have money to cover your expenses....eating.....then you don't have to spend it. I have seen many come here with very low money resources and they don't want to spend the $200 in case they don't make it through to the point of getting paid and able to pay it back from wage deductions. During orientation you COULD need a small amount of money because they allot you a defined amount of money to spend on each meal and if you go over you pay the extra. You can eat without going over. The portions and costs are VERY REASONABLE. Coffee, iced tea and water are free so you don't have to spend anything on drinks if you stick with those choices.

You do need $100 to give to Prime for participating in the program. It's nonrefundable. You need an additional $50 to cover the CDL exam or transferring your permit. All of these costs are spelled out in the materials they give you by email...the recruiter will send them to you by email.

My fear is that if the school and riding with a trainer is 8 weeks, I wont be able to come home for 2 months.

As stated above, that is very possible and you need to be prepared for that to begin with.

I am ready to go forward in this new career path and want to get some things answered. I think I will get better answers from the ones who have gone through it than from the recruiter. From my experience, they will tell you anything to get you in the door.

Be blessed and be safe!

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

I guess I am just a bit worried about starting something new. The feeling of knowing I will have a massive vehicle that is under my total control is a bit over whelming. Like I have mentioned, I have been out on quite a few runs with my brother in law (he actually did let me drive for about 100 miles, from rest area to rest area) so it was all freeway miles but it was a fun experience.

My other concern is getting into schooling and having to sit there forever until I can get out on my own. I am skiddish to having a trainer who isnt "like me" for example, I have heard stories about trainers who dont like to stop for showers, dont like to stop for bathroom breaks. I do not want to get stuck with one of them types.

I am a recently laid off web designer and at the age of 37 I am going to be honest and say I am a bit nervous to actually go for it. I know I wont have any issues when it comes to the driving part but I know it will be a whole new world compared to what I am used to. Not being home but 2 days every 2 weeks would be a downfall having 2 young children, That would take a while to get used to. Also coming from a small town in TN, I would be a nervous wreck if they sent me to say NYC.. I dont handle going through Nashville in a SUV to well, I would hate to see it in NYC with a semi.

I think I am going to take your advice though and get everything going as far as getting my permit and everything. Maybe go have a few more talks with my uncle who was actually a trainer back in his day. And when and if the time comes, I will take the plunge and just go for it. There wouldnt be nothing like going down the road and getting paid to see the country.

A very big factor in your decision that was not involved in mine.....children. I wish you the best.

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

when I took this step I hit the RESET button on my life and that it has been.

Randy this gets down to what we are always trying to instill in people's understanding that this is more of a lifestyle than it is a job - you are just getting started and you will continue to find that this is more of a reset than you probably could even imagine at the beginning.

Not in my case. I was looking for THE reset. This is precisely what I needed.

We need TT stickers for our trucks

That would be great. Good idea.

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

I see a ton of Prime tankers in the Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan part of my route. If I remember correctly, the tanker specific training is in the Chicago area. I have not seen a Prime tanker in the southeast. Does not mean they are not here of course. Schnieder has a huge tanker fleet and I see those guys everywhere. The nice thing about Prime tanker is that it is all food grade though. Oh, have you been to the Millenium Building yet? I do miss that terminal. There is not a nicer one in the nation for any company.

Prime has two tanker regions, the eastern one that is pretty much midwest and northeast and then the rest of the country. They do cover all lower 48 states. What I'm not sure about is how much. If tanker is not my best option here and I still want to go that route in the future, I could always search for a company that would be a good match that way. I would like to find out Prime can do it for me.

Yes, I have been to the Millennium and have heard others say the same thing as you. It is a very nice place and quite the layout for their truckers. I feel fortunate to have decided on Prime. As I reflect back......the whole ONE month since I started even looking into this....LOL.......it is amazing how well it's all fallen into place. TT helped so much. The input from the people on here has been a true blessing. And now I am less than 2 weeks from taking my CDL exam. I feel like I'm living an out of body experience because when I took this step I hit the RESET button on my life and that it has been.

Question for cdl

I would check with the companies that you are interested in working for and talk to them to see where they specifically stand on the issue. They may just want you to go through orientation and spend some time with a driver for X number of miles to show them you are ready to drive again. You just would not have to do the part that leads up to taking the CDL exam. Here at Prime that is a separate phase and then once the license is secured the student goes out with a licensed driver/trainer until they reach 30000 miles. Then they get upgraded to their own truck. It would be my guess that you would do that, or some part of that to their satisfaction. Since you are licensed and driving as part of team during that time, you do get paid so it's not wasted, unpaid time. It's just to get you up to speed for going solo. Good luck.

Same problem with students and instructors.......

Ask an instructor and they will tell you that nothing gets in the way of a student learning to get their CDL and driving a truck more than.......

Ask a student and they will tell you that nothing gets in the way of an instructor training a student to get their CDL and driving a truck more than.....

Their EGO!!! Both are so true.

Students need to be humble and teachable and realize that the instructor has valuable information to give. Getting defensive when told something only makes learning take longer and does not help anything......well, except maybe their own ego. Good attitude and humbleness go a long way.

Instructors need to be humble and remember that they once were the student and that being all macho goes over like a lead balloon in the eyes of students who just want to learn, NOT become someone's doormat. And what could possibly make driving a truck more difficult that having an instructor being unable to instruct without losing it. The student is already confused and stumbling to do the right thing. Escalating and exacerbating it by becoming a loud in-your-face source of noise is certainly NOT going to help anything.......well, except maybe their own ego. Being level headed and humble go a long way.

Set aside the egos guys. We can be proud of who we are without being puffed up about it.

My 2 cents worth.

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

You seem to have a steady and solid head on your shoulders and should do very well with Prime. I obtained my CDL by going through Prime's training and documented my experience here as well, right up to the point I went home due to my wife having some complications with her pregnancy. I was out of trucking for nearly a year and when I tried to return I tried to return to Prime, but they said no :(. I still think Prime is a great place to get your start, it's not the easiest carrier to work for as they expect you to be a grown adult and make the right decisions but they do not treat you unfairly. I am now driving a flatbed for Swift and enjoy it here just as much. Good luck to you and be safe on the road!

Thank you Allan and best wishes to you. Glad to hear things worked out for you in the long run. I am considering going tanker division but have questions about it before I go that route. I have heard that being tanker reduces the ability of the dispatcher to match the driver up to requested destinations, i.e. when I want to take days off in a particular city and need a load to take me there. Also I have heard that there can be more deadheading and more chances of there being gaps in getting loads compared to reefer. But I want to talk to someone here at Prime that is in it and can give me firsthand information.

Be blessed and be safe!

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

Since my last post there is nothing much new. Watched others doing backing maneuvers but only watched as my instructor did not make it there over the weekend. ...too much fun. Yesterday was a very good day of driving, with my performance and comfort level improving. I felt good about my navigation through cities and in traffic on the highway

Still too many students waiting for instructors after a week and a half since orientation ended. The ones waiting end up feeling like kids not wanted on the kickball teams. And some are very good and decent people that would be good students. This is the biggest problem here. One guy is thinking to just go home and many like him quit their jobs to make the change.

Off to breakfast and more driving. ...

Be blessed and be safe.

The Diaries of Randy @ Prime, Inc.

This thread has helped me so much. I was recently laid off as a web designer and I cannot find work anywhere. I was talking to my uncle over the holiday weekend and he told me I should check out truck driving. I used to have a CDL B when I was younger and have drove passenger with my brother in law a few times, so I was looking for good trucking schools and came across this thread.

I think I might just give Prime a chance.

Thanks for such a detailed thread. Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for the feedback. That is precisely what I want people to gain from it whether they choose Prime or another company. Good luck.

Pre-Trip Inspection - My Way! A must see!

That's cool Daniel. I had thought of doing precisely the same thing. Great job!

Learning the Air Brake Test for the CDL Examine

Shouldn't a static air check verifying that an air loss of no more than 3 psi happen before the service air ( 4 psi ) check ?

-s-

I understand where you are coming from but it is NOT a part of the test on the exam.

Wow...it is part of the test in NJ. Looks like there's a difference the training and testing in NJ.

Even so, the concept remains the same and that step of the test would be added in at the appropriate place. The main point is seeing the bigger picture of what is happening instead of just memorizing a set of words.

Learning the Air Brake Test for the CDL Examine

Bravo Randy, Bravo!

Hope you're doing well!

Thanks Daniel. I am doing great. Learning to do the back up maneuvers tomorrow. My instructor said I am doing very well after 1 week. I'm really pumped up and should have my license in hand in 2 weeks. Hope things have smoothed out for you after your rough time off. Holler at me when you get here....if you come here.

Learning the Air Brake Test for the CDL Examine

-s-

Learning the Air Brake Test for the CDL Examine

So, here goes….stage 1

Mr. Examiner, I will need you to help me with this by timing me for 1 minute while I firmly hold the brake pedal down, during which time the air pressure should not drop more than 4 psi while I am also listening for air leaks.

Stage 2 I am now going to pump down the brakes until the alarm buzzer and light come on which should occur at or before the air pressure reaches 60 psi.

Stage 3 I am now going to continue to pump down the brakes until both the Tractor Supply and Parking Brake valves pop out which should occur between 40 and 20 psi. IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!

If during this test you realize you made a mistake……….stop and tell the instructor you are going to start over. This is allowed. Then go back to setting up for the test by starting the truck and letting the air compressor build the air pressure to 120 to 125 psi. You are allowed to do it over!!!

If your examiner should ask you if your test is complete, know that he may be asking you to give you a friendly hint that you missed something. He can NOT tell you that you made a mistake, but he can ask you if that completes your test. If he does this, starting over would be a great idea because if you miss even one thing on the test, YOU FAIL!!! If you get it right twice, GREAT!!!

There is nothing that stops you from doing it over. It is not timed. They just want to make sure you know how to do the entire thing 100% right. If that means repeating it, then great, repeat it. But saying you are done and you’ve missed something……..not good at all.

So, learn the big picture and what is actually happening with each stage of the air brake test and it will be a lot easier to remember the stages, how they are done, and what the results should be. That’s how to “BRAKE” it down!

Hope this helps you.