Comments By nomad girl

• nomad girl
  • Comments:

Dealing with Planners

Hey folks. So since I've been on this truck, I've experienced on numerous accounts where my mentor/co-driver has had confrontations with planners. On my first week out, we forfeited a 2600 mile contract because the planner had us rescue a load that wasn't even near us (we went to the shipper to pick it up and found out it was 400 miles away).

Almost every week, I would see this play out. Planners telling us they'll give us a long haul if we do them these under-the-gun runs that had a multitude of issues, only to tell us that the long haul contract that we had preplanned had been given to someone else. It's been very frustrating.

Since I'm still a rookie, I'm not as affected because anything more than $250/week is good in my books. But my mentor is especially affected because people depend on him to make a paycheck, so he has unleashed his frustration with dispatch and everyone, making it clear that he had been lied to by these planners. I feel that his confrontational nature has caused bigger rifts with planners and I've seen it first hand how a planner wouldn't give us a load just because of how he responded when asked if we could do a favor.

My question is, how do we go about dealing with planners? What can we do to prevent being screwed over and not have to be in a confrontational environment? Any advice will be useful. Thanks guys and ladies.

Is my trainer gonna kick me outta the truck?

You won't get kicked off my your trainer based on what you pack. You will get kicked off if you don't get along with each other or if you really suck at driving.

Truck Stop Shower Supplies?

They provide towels. Just bring one for those times when you end up at a place where they don't provide one.

Central/Swift: From Training to Upgrade

Mikki, it's to get more training under my belt. You really don't learn everything about the industry within that four or five weeks out on the road with a mentor. Even when I upgraded, I wasn't confident in myself yet to go out on my own. With the extended training, I won't have to learn it the hard way and avoid making numerous rookie mistakes that could cost me my CDL.

As for getting along and such, that's a requirement. In the beginning, we butted heads because of our communication style. But we buried the hatchet as we saw that our differences could be beneficial in being a team.

If things don't work out, I have back up plans.

One More Lady Trucker

Congrats!

Safety???

Oh yeah, and dress professionally. Work boots, work pants, shirts with sleeves --- no pretty clothes, especially clothes that show cleavage.

Safety???

Stop at well-litted truck stops like TA/Petro. Close curtains if you're at a shipper. Don't talk to strangers. Walk like a man. Put on your resting ***** face. Learn some self defense moves. I haven't run into any situation where I've felt unsafe. I think other people look at me and fear for my safety more than me. My co-driver says I look like a 4th grader behind the wheels.

File Under "Rookie"

So glad I'm driving team. Luckily, I'm not the one driving when we get lost so I can take out my iphone to look at the map and find a safe, alternative route.

DOUBTERS EVERYWHERE

At least you have the support from your family. I told no one when I decide to go to the trucking school except one friend and the conversational teller at the credit union. While on the road, I met up with one of my girl friends in New York and that's how she found out. Other than that, my family and close friends still don't know what I'm doing. I've realized that over the years, some things aren't worth explaining. It all makes sense later on when you look back in retrospect.

Honest opinion please

I think you'll have to talk to the person in charge of that account at the Swift terminal for clarification. Not sure why anyone would pay you to sit though. And definitely not sure why anyone would ask you to be on dedicated without having a track record with the company.

Rookie team drivers

I'm currently running team. I'm solar powered so I drive during the day. My mentor/co-driver drives nights, but he does a split shift where he drives a few hours, go to sleeper berth, then drive a few more hours before my shift starts. We both average about 8 hours of drive time each per day so that we don't exhaust our 70 hours.

Central/Swift: From Training to Upgrade

Out of my group of ten, the girl who was held back a week for not passing her permit test ended up not passing her pre-inspection test (missing anything on the ALE test is an automatic fail).

Three guys quit before their training was completed (one got tired of waiting for a second trainer, another didn't get along with any of his trainers, and don't know about the third one).

Didn't hear from one guy, think he got kicked off or quit because he didn't seem serious about being a truck driver (slept during orientation, confrontational with other classmates, never followed instructions and doing whatever he wanted, like disrupting class.)

Two guys got their own rigs after they upgraded and are currently company drivers.

Two guys had a similar arrangement to mine - they were hired by an owner operator.

Central/Swift: From Training to Upgrade

After taking the classroom training in Memphis for four days, out of 22 students, 10 of us made it to the next step.

Two days later, we were on the Greyhound bus to Salt Lake City. The next morning, we were driven to the DMV to take our permit tests. One of my classmates didn't pass hers so she had to attend the classroom until that group took their permit tests the following week.

After that, we had five days to learn how to drive a rig. Day 1 and 2 was for backing, Day 3 was driving on Rookie Road, Day 4 was City Driving, an Day 5 was Mountain Driving along with going over our pre-trips and backing practice. In total, we spent between 2-3 hours of behind the wheel training.

No school on Sunday so we studied.

The first day of exams, we did our pre-inspection and three backing. The second day, we had our road test. Anyone who failed three times were kicked out. My friends and I went out and celebrated for passing.

The next day, we were driven to the DMV to get our CDL-A. After receiving it, we went to orientation.

Orientation was three days. We watched videos, received books, training forms, etc. On the third day, we were assigned mentors. Those who didn't had to wait a day or two after to get theirs.

I left with my mentor the next morning. By three weeks, we had done 10,000 miles. I completed my 200 driving hours and 40 backs in five weeks. We went back to the Salt Lake terminal where I did the paper and driving tests. I passed both and was upgraded.

Since I wanted to extend my training, my mentor hired me on his truck as a second seat.

Below is an image link to my student loan repayment to the school. Since I'm no longer with Swift, I have to pay them back $4400 vs. working as a company driver for two years.

Accepted to Central Refrigerated Services CDL course but having reservations.

Oh yeah. Nobody got sent home when I was there. People got with their mentors right after orientation. A lot of them had to wait at the hotel until they got assigned theirs - my friends all got mentors before the week ended and we all upgraded around the same time.

Only one person was sent home, but that was because he requested to go home for a family emergency. After two weeks, they sent him a bus ticket (at his request) to the nearest yard to be assigned a mentor.

If they are sending people home, then they're probably short on mentors.

Accepted to Central Refrigerated Services CDL course but having reservations.

Central was bought out by Swift, so it's pretty much Swift. They want you to pass, that's why they give you all the answers.

Don't worry about the references. They don't have to be work references and they don't call them to see if you're a psyho or whatever you think they do with those contact info. Lol

School/work

I don't really think anyone will pay you to sit in a classroom.

Just got hired by Swift!

Since you're leaving IT, I'm going to assume you have enoug money to pay for trucking school and actually get some legitimate training. Swift training (actual behind the wheel) is about $4500 for less than three hours. After that, you get three tests and they hand you your CDL. Only go this route if you have no money and can't get hired at Prime, which makes you go behind the wheel with a mentor for 4 months before they hand you a CDL. Once you get your CDL, you're expected to be a professional. Plus, lots of truck companies will reimburse you for trucking school + give you a sign on bonus.

Choose Prime over Swift

I would have gone with Prime also. Too bad my work history is spotty. They actually train.

Automatic with swift

No. They will not pay you while you're in school. Once you've passed your pre-inspection, backing (3 total), and road test, they'll pay you $50/day for orientation + any day you're at the yard waiting for a mentor and $9.50/hr (behind the wheel, on-duty driving) when you're with your mentor on the road.

You should be fine. There are two ex-felons in my class. Just past your drug test and be truthful on your application.