Profile For Jolie R.

Jolie R.'s Info

Liberty Township, OH

Experienced Driver

5 years, 1 month ago

Jolie R.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

I need help with a short girl problem

I am 5'0" and have been driving an Eaton 10 for the 2 years I have been driving. I was concerned before going to school regarding the clutch until I realized that clutching is different on a truck than in a car as you only need to depress it far enough to shift, usually only a couple of inches. I sit farther back than most women because sitting too close to the steering wheel can be dangerous in a collision. I sold cars for several years and was always amazed at how close most women sit in relation to the steering wheel and saw the horrible bruises one received when she was in a wreck and her air bag blew. Only you can decide where you are comfortable, but you are probably sitting a lot closer to the wheel than is necessary. It can be done if you are willing to make some adjustments, which you will find you need to do quite often when you begin to drive, as these trucks are not designed for women but we make do. Good luck!

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

CDL Defender

I don't think Rick threw that out there as a hard statistic. I believe he is extrapolating a number based on the volume of miles a professional will do. What he's saying is that your exposure is much greater.

Another consideration is that many states look at trucking companies as a good solid revenue stream.

OS, truer words were never written! I make 2 runs between Cincinnati and Columbus M-F and the State police and DOT are sitting about every 5 miles and that is not an exaggeration! I see countless drivers pulled over daily. Mind you, I go through 2 construction zone each way and see a lot of knuckleheads speeding through them in both cars and truck, and believe they deserve to pay every cent they get in fines! I think that 100 mile stretch of highway is what keeps the State of Ohio afloat financially!

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Roehl Get your CDL program

Thanks for the info, I've been considering going this Route to get my CDL One question, what happens if your a bit slower to catch on ? Will they work with you a little longer, or are you more likely to be " let go"

Thanks in advance

It depends, most catch on, and they give you goals for the end of each week. We had a few struggle and they worked with them. If you fail the skills test, they work with you and hold you over until you can retest.

Ah man, Thanks for the reply ! I was hoping that was the answer, I'm debating going to a school, or roehl's program.

I got my CDL through Roehl before they went to their current program. I had a very difficult time learning how to back the trailer....even a straight line back. They did suggest I leave and go to a longer program (theirs was barely 3 weeks at the time), but I wouldn't and because they saw my determination I got some extra help outside of regular class time. I passed all of the things necessary to get my CDL which surprised the heck out of everyone but me and those who know me best.

Their school is awesome and there are days when I am driving down the road I can still hear in my head things my instructors and trainer told me..... things like cars and trucks tend travel in packs so when you find yourself in a pack, ease off of the throttle and let them get by you. It won't put you behind schedule but could make the difference of whether you end up in a pile up or not. I also pull very very heavy loads every day and hear my trainer telling me I need to get a little more out of a gear before upshifting. I only drove for Roehl for the first 6 months of solo driving and have been out for a year and a half now but what I learned has been invaluable. I run into drivers I knew occasionally (even my trainer, twice!) which is always nice. I can't guarantee it but I doubt you would ever regret getting your CDL from their school.

A PSA for taking a nap if you need to

Folks, if you are tired or begin to get the yawns I implore you to pull over and take a nap! A driver lost his life today on I-71 near Columbus OH and from the description of what happened and the time (between midnight and 05:00) it is reasonable to believe he dozed off. I saw the aftermath and it was heartbreaking. I'm not trying to be a sensationalist but far too often we try to push on just a little while longer because we have some deadline to meet for a delivery. NONE of us have the cure for Ebola in our trailers and while we might get written up for a late delivery, at least we would still be alive. I drive a daycab and get up at 01:30 and I am to my truck around 02:45. There are days that I have to stop and take a 20 or 30 minute nap despite having a full night's sleep. All of us are too important to our loved ones to think any freight is worth losing our lives over. On that note it is my bedtime. Safe travels to all of you.

Jolie

Looking for work - felony background

I have a friend driving for Swift with a felony for GTA. Not sure if you have tried them but it is worth a shot. Best of luck to you.

Why do drivers do this?

I mostly drop and hook now, but not too long ago I had to live unload and I got in the dock beautifully. The guy inside came out and said they could unload the trailer easier if I would open the doors! Oops! rofl-2.gif As Rosanna Rosannadana says, it's always something! smile.gif

I rolled back with doors open and the shipper wanted then closed and could open them from the inside lol

Believe it or not, I drove on the Nabisco account when I was with Roehl and I would drop trailers at the Love's Park plant in their docks with the doors closed and the seal intact. I am not sure how they opened them like that but since I was brand spankin' new as driver it was much easier for me to back with them closed than open so I didn't care! I have never been to another consignee since then either that had a set up like that!

Why do drivers do this?

Why do drivers do this?

Honestly I NEVER open my doors until I'm ready to dock and I open the doors and release my tandems, do a pull up to make sure im straight and slide my tandems back at the same time, then back in. My company and every one of our customers requires tandems to be all the way back whether loading/unloading or drop/hook and for the life of me, my backing sucks with the tandems all the way back. At one customer location i go to, they require us to move our tandems back at the guard shack so I literally have to slide them to appease the guards, get into the drop lot, move them forward, back in, then move them back again lol. Craziness in action for sure but it is what it is.

I too preferred to have my tandems forward while backing when I first began driving, but now with some experience like to have them to the back. I deliver to a McDonald's distributorship daily and it is pretty tight. With them forward there is too much trailer swing to be able to get in a space without possibly bumping another trailer. I can also judge the pivot point of my tandems better with them back. It is amazing how preferences can change! Glad to hear your are doing well and figuring out what works best for you!

Roehl Company-Sponsored Program - Day to Day

Thomas, I would love to know who your instructor's are. I went to Roehl's CDL school in Marshfield in October 2014. While I no longer drive for them I think their training is excellent. When I am driving some days, I can still hear my instructor and trainer's voice in my head in certain situations. I haul very heavy trailers each day and I can hear Dan telling me I need to put my foot in the throttle to accelerate or Brenda telling me to get a little more out of a gear! :-)

10 things I've learned in 4 years of trucking...

Stupid question from a newbie. Is the Rand an app or a book? Thanks.

Karen

Rand McNally publishes a map book, and sells a stand alone GPS and logging units, and they even have an Android app. The app connects to the logging device, from their website:

The HD 100 app works with the HD 100, Rand McNally's electronic logging device. The HD 100 plugs into the truck's diagnostics port and connects Hours of Service information wirelessly to the HD 100 app. HOS logs are available on the HD 100 app and via the Rand McNally Connect web portal.

Michael:

Thanks!!! That definitely has my name written all over it. I need all the help I can get lol.

Believe me when I say that if you are going to drive for Roehl you will need an atlas and your own GPS unit. I drove for them and left last May and I doubt they have changed their navigation system since I left. Theirs will get you close to where you are going to but then you have to rely on what they call close up directions which is basically info from other drivers who have been there which can be hit or miss.I don't think they want you to have your own GPS but I know most of the drivers do. Best of luck to you.

4 years in, and I love my job!!!

I am in the Great Lakes region and run 2 loads of syrup from Columbus OH back to a McDonald's distribution center in Fairfield OH twice a day. The days are long but the pay is great. Throw in weekends being optional and you can't beat it! I am lucky that the boxes and canisters I haul are so heavy I have never tipped one (knock on wood!). It is great to find another Coke hauler! Safe travels sister!

Hi Jolie!! I agree, the relationship I have with the Coke people is awesome. For example, if any pallets tip during transport, it is my responsibility to restack them. Being short (5'3), that can be difficult, because a full pallet ends up taller than me. Trying to lift a shell of 8 2 liters above my head can be rough. But they are always willing to help me out. What region do you run in?

4 years in, and I love my job!!!

Hi Ahmalia, I too run on a dedicated Coca Cola account but for Marten Transport. I agree it is a sweet deal as I haul 2 loads if syrup a day and go to the same consignee each time. I like the relationships I have been able to build with the shipper and consignee and while what I do wouldn't appeal to many , it works for me. Nice to meet you! P.S. I am blonde too! :-)

Marten Transportation

I currently drive for Marten on a local dedicated account. Are you going OTR with them? I will give you any insight that I can if you let me know what info you're looking for.

Sorry for the reply, but I'mnot going OTR. I'm goingto do regional with them.

Whether you drive regional or over the road for Marten much will be the same except frequency of home time and how far you venture in your truck. I make good money with them local but there are things I would not want with them if I was regional or otr. They pay miles base on length of haul and I want to be paid the same rate regardless of the length I drive. I know others would say it all works out in the end but I like the simplicity of the same rate so I can keep track of what my checks should be.

They are good about paying detention time after 1 hour (I have to wait 2 on my account). They will also pay for inclement weather should it be too dangerous to drive which is a big bonus during the winter. I am sure your buddy can give you much more of the lay of the land than I can. If you have a good dispatcher and are will to run you can make money. Good luck!

Marten Transportation

Starting back to Prime

Good luck Ernie!!!

Officially got a new job hauling fuel tankers. Goodbye Prime/OTR

Congratulations Daniel! I know this is something you have been wanting for some time now and I hope it is everything you and your lovely bride want it to be. I can't wait to hear how things go for you in your new adventure! Good luck and safe travels!!!good-luck.gif

Roehl Transport's New Training Contract Is it fair?

Hey all, thank you for your replies.

A company asking for their training money back is in my experience unheard of to me. I could be wrong, I understand if a company that you work for pays your tuition to get a degree or certification with the understanding that your doing, you benefit the company. So I would expect that you would have to pay for that if you bail right after getting that education. But what were talking about here is the simple on-the-job-training that is done here. Something you generally receive it 99% of the time at any job that you go to. Like any company these trucking companies are here to make a profit. They make a profit from each driver in their company. So a new driver is an investment. You hope to spend X amount of money and get Y in return. You got to spend money to make money, right. Usually if you're doing something right then most people will stay rather than leave your company, therefore you make money and grow your business. Gee, can I get a guarantee that my $3,000 investment in XYZ company stock will go up in value in at least the first 6 months. If it doesn't then i want my money back. That's Fantastic. Just found my new career.....Day Trading...Someone say millionaire... And by the way the average company revenue per truck per month is like 16k so if you subtract salary, fuel, equipment costs, etc then lets say conservatively that's 11k a month, then that leaves 4k. That's 4k a month easy that they make off you. Do they really need their training costs back? and again I'm not talking about CDL School Training here.

Did the things I've read about the Truck Driver shortage, play a part in me coming to this industry......Yes. Did I expect a trucking company to swoon a little over me.....Kinda. Do I expect Driver pay/benefits to be good because of the shortage.....Yes. (Laws of supply and demand being used here) And....Yes, I am a brand new driver with limited training in a CDL school. I get it. Yes, I need to prove that I'm a competent driver/employee. I get it. Yes, I know that I should work at least a year before I can consider myself an experienced driver....I get that, too........ but I'm not talking about that stuff.

I'm just talking about their "Contract" guarantee that they will get their job training dollars back if things don't work out for new hires. WHY OH WHY Would a company do that. If a company wants to decrease their turnover rate because its costing them too much money then why not improve driver morale in someway by increasing either pay, benefits or working conditions. DUH? Is Roehl even aware there is a shortage and they need to be a little more welcoming.. If I work for a month or two and find this career isnt right for me or the Job isn't a good fit for me, I would like to be able to quit and be done with it. Also, wouldn't it be in the best interest of the company to part ways with you because aren't you a liability, morale and safety-wise, to have you continue working. But, No, I can't leave because I will owe them 3,000 if I do.

I worked a lot of years for a Huge Global Manufacturing company that has always been in the top 25 companies to work for in america for decades. I guess I got a little spoiled there. Why I left is a long story but it wasn't really the company's fault. They're turnover rate was super low I can assure you that. There was a reason for that. They incorporated the motto that their employees were their number one concern and they held up to that. If anything I should have given them more than I did; because they gave me more than they needed to.

Anyway, finally, may I be making too big of deal with this...perhaps. It's a matter of principal and ethics to me...I always had the intention to stay and be loyal to the company that i apply to and wants me as an employee. They do their drug tests, their physical tests and their background checks so they can trust that I could perform the needs of their business. Can't I do the same? Can't I look to trust them, too... This Contract just leaves me, personally, with too much doubt about wither this company is the kind of company I want to work for....

I may be able to shed a little light as to why Roehl went to their current policy in their contract. I am a former driver for Roehl and they have changed things since I went to their school and drove for them last year.

The cost of Roehl's CDL school was indeed $2800 last year when I went their although that may have changed. Their time with a trainer is some of the shortest I know of for a company that hires new drivers, typically 10 to 15 days. What they were finding is that many new drivers would come to Roehl, get their training, and leave in 3-6 months as many companies will hire you with that amount of experience without having to go out with a trainer again. This was discussed many times in the company wide meetings they had and they were at a loss as how to stem the out flow of drivers they had trained.

I don't know if I would have gone to Roehl under their current structure but I will say I got excellent training. I stayed for 6 months and then went local because it payed much more than I was making driving regional/dedicated. Just my 2ยข.

Car lease

Ii have another year on a lease but.I want to.get started on my trucking career assuming my blood pressure can get under control.and my recent accident doesnt hinder me I have concerns with paying a car payment and insurance while being on the road so much espicially at the beginning were I hear I will be gone for a month or 6 weeks to start but I also want a car for when I am home and need to get around and see my friends. Does anyone else own or lease a car or do you just save the money what about a home ir aoartment?? I assume thise that are single might.give uo.a home but those with families would still keep their homes I love the trucker life but also want a home life too

I lease a car and when I was otr I kept it at the drop yard where I parked my truck while on home time. I also shared a house with someone for many years which gives you someplace to come home to but greatly saves on living expenses. Good luck to you!

First Year

Way to go!!! It is amazing how quickly a year can go by in trucking, that's for sure!!!

Roehl Company Sponsored Training

I already have my CDL. And for orientation and 2 weeks with an OTR trainer they want 75k miles. Im still stuck on the longevity contract. I just cant get past it. Been trying to sell myself on it since Thursday. Cause I still want to work for them.

So what's the problem? "I still want to work for them." In that case don't you want to work for them way past one year? By the time you're "in the groove" most if that 75k will be gone.

And don't try to give me "but I might find a better deal!" (Translation: "There's greener grass out there somewhere.") Yes, there may be. But will you want to change your life for an additional $10 per week? Commitment is what gets things done in the world. Otherwise, you'll just be changing checkout lanes at Kroger because you think that other one is better - you're still at the back of the line.

I left Roehl after 6 months and I can assure you I make WAY more than an extra $10/week. I know I am not the norm, but sometimes it does pay to make a move.