Comments By Terry C.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0558747001527701513-16843.jpg avatar
  • Terry C.
  • Comments:

Tough times. Need advice.

Ok I'm going to do something here that is probably going to sting a bit TW. Here's the deal bud. You and I are only 2 years apart in age. My story could read much like yours and if you asked me to write it down 2 years ago it would have. But I found a secret in life (its actually not a secret it's just so easy it seems it would never work but it really does!) that has helped me out in life 100% So what I did is took the liberty of copy and pasting your story into Microsoft word and re-wrote a lot of it to simply show you that "your perspective" on life will dictate whether you're happy, mad or depressed. Dude, I used to catastrophize events in my life and spent many hours in therapy hearing this stuff but never believing it. I have a 136 IQ which is much higher than most. Sometimes I wish I didn't have that knowledge because I used to use that as a crutch to believe I was smarter than most people. Which may be true. However I lacked a lot of wisdom. Until I changed my attitude on life. That happened over a year ago. Since I've changed the way I perceive the world around me my life has changed for the better ten fold. So here it is. Your story re-written:

I am 47 yrs old. All my life has been an adventure! --- much like anything. Most things seem to end well for me when I believe the world is out to get me.

1.) I spent many years trying to get a college degree because I was hoping it would lead to a better paying job. I never finished applying myself. End result: Good education.

2.) I became a teacher and was required to take 1 year of night classes while I taught full time to fulfill my license requirements. End result: 2 years later I was laid off and ended up losing all school credits. I didn’t research other areas around the country to put my skills to work. I chose to stay in my area and try another trade/profession.

3.) I thought truck driving was the answer because it is stable profession. I spent 6 months getting grants through WIA to go to trucking school for free. I graduated from trucking school with straight A's, zero debt, full endorsements, HAZMAT , Doubles/Triples and Tankers and a promising career. 1 month later I ended up with severe bronchitis from the diesel exhaust fumes. End result: I got diagnosed with Sarcoidosis-- a rare lung disease (pulmonary fibrosis) that destroys lung tissue and I said bye bye to trucking. Who could of seen this coming? I left knowing my health would be better off not being around diesel engines.

4.)I decided to write and sell books. I spent 1 year and countless hours of research and writing books and they sell on Amazon.com. End result. No profits. The literary market is full of writers starving for publication and most writers will have MULTIPLE failures before finding a good paying gig/novel. There is far more rejections in writing than successes and I unfortunately don’t have the time to complete what is necessary to continue. Fortunately I can always work on this in my spare time. 5.) I wanted to learn to be a computer programmer so I could build a political website/blog from scratch. Place ads on it and make money. It took me one year to learn three computer languages-- HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I created the website and it is up and running but its not making money like I had hoped. Again I chose a market that is full of graphic designers with a hell of a lot more experience in web building than my 1 year so I’ll have to put more effort into furthering my education to find better success in web page design and marketing/advertising.

6.) My car gets stolen. I sit in my tiny studio apartment, broke, drive a crappy car now and there is no jobs out there that I want. I should have just gone to college in my youth to study something practical but I sucked at long term planning. I suppose my parents were right when I was young and now I realize that everything they told me was the truth.

Many people my age are making 40k a year plus a year while I work two dead end jobs that pay $10 an hour. These are high school wages. But I’m blessed as there are also a HELL OF A LOT of people worse off than me with no job, no place to live and hooked on drugs. I am a smart guy, graduated at top of my class in school, have a brain, and know how to use it. I am worth a heck of a lot more money. I just need some practice in perspective and applying it.

I am thinking of going to nursing school or be a flight attendant. But I am concerned my luck I might get some terminal disease in nursing or the plane will crash after being hired. But I also realize with that attitude I most certainly WILL FAIL. Everyone gets dealt a bad hand of cards in life! I need a job that's going to get me a better standard of living. When I’m finished dwelling on mistakes I’ve made in life and reliving them over and over, I’ll move on and find and get one. Even if I must relocate to do it.

Anyone go through this BS?

Why are some drivers so miserable?

A better question would be "why does truck driving attract this personality type"?

I'd like to field this question if I may......I'd like to point out first that I myself am one of the "glass half empty" type personalities. It's taken me a great deal of effort to try and not be but unfortunately I still have a ways to go. So in short I'll admit I have a bit of a negative personality type. I wasn't always like that though. My youth was full of positivity and happiness. "So how'd you get there?" you ask? For me it started in the military. I seemed to be a victim of railroading by a racist squad leader whom also happened to be a Mason along with my First Sergeant and Company Commander. I was an exemplary soldier my first couple of years, making rank as fast as the Army allowed (E1 to E4 in about 12 months) Battalion soldier of the month twice and Battalion soldier of the quarter. My moving thru the ranks made some guys a little angry so I was called a brown noser and much worse. When I got a squad leader that didn't see my promotions as going to someone that rightly deserved it, things began to change with my attitude. Then came a day when I was given a punishment for being 30 seconds late to a PT formation. It was an extremely unusual punishment that was not used much in the Army because it was very degrading. Being marched in my full battle gear everywhere on post by this squad leader. Anyway when I tried to repeal this punishment and the Mason supervisors whom I mentioned earlier took this guys side it changed me. I saw that I was fighting a battle I could not win. From that day forward I harbored animosity and things other people do to others out of spite.

Now we go into my post military days. Shortly after my honorable discharge I got a CDL and had a job as a Bottled water delivery guy. It was a 100% customer service job. Most of my customers were friendly hard working people. But I had a couple of routes in wealthy areas where people were very inconsiderate of "blue collar" workers and treated them (and me) with disdain. I couldn't voice my dislike to these people or I'd lose my job and those type of people that treat others like crap know this and take full advantage of it. After 2 years I had enough and wanted to get as far away from customer service as I could. I had a CDL so the next thing that came up was truck driving. In my mind I wouldn't have to deal with many people. It would just be me and the open road and very little human contact. And I think this is where the mistake in thinking happens with the negative personality type. You may not have direct contact but you're surrounded by people in cars (and other trucks) ALL DAY LONG! And now here's where things start bothering me again. When people are behind the wheel, they tend to feel like they're in this protective bubble that shields them from the outside world. People driving cars don't want to be behind these big slow trucks and treat those trucks with total disdain. They don't see a person driving it, they see the object. You get cut off in traffic, or pulled out in front of, flipped off, brake checked all of this rude and bad behavior ON PURPOSE or out of ignorance on a DAILY BASIS. If you hold on to grudges or let the actions of others bother you it's extremely difficult to let go of. If you can't let it go you stay sour and negative. It can be all consuming. Until a day comes when you either get out of driving all together. Retire or make the decision to stop the negative thinking. In my case I've decided to try and change my thinking.

So you can see a common denominator with truck drivers and the people that deal with them on a daily basis. Getting stepped on and taken advantage of by others that do it without fear of consequence. IE people in their cars that keep on driving down the road after brake checking you, never to be seen again. Waitresses or desk clerks at the truck stops that just had to deal with an angry truck driver that is taking his anger from the above mentioned people out on another service worker. The dispatcher that has 70 guys (many of whom are angry) that he has to manage everyday. Shippers and Receivers that deal with angry truck drivers all day. Do you see what I'm getting at? If you don't understand how there can be so many truckers that are so negative then count your blessing my friend. Count the blessings that you are a type of personality that doesn't hold on to grudges. For that (in my eyes) is very much a blessing.

Is it worth moving for a local job?

Wow, this is such a matter of opinion question. If the pay is decent and you're able to pay your bills and have money left over to save then anywhere can be as worth it as you want it to be! There are some guys here that have been doing OTR for many years and can't see themselves doing anything but that. They would be quick to tell you it may not be worth it. I'm of the belief that a local job is MUCH nicer to have but personally I'd never move out of Florida to get one and would be extremely hard pressed to move from where I live now because we're in one of the top rated school systems in the state. I would hate to cheat my 2 kids out of a good education to appease a better paying job in an area that has worse schools.

I don't ever see myself going back to OTR driving, but then again, I said that exact same thing in 2000. It's that "life's a box of chocolates" analogy.

I need cb help

I have a Connex 33 and can't get my swr down below 3 and 4 I moved the antenna to behind my sleeper ran a ground from the batt to the antenna I have paid a lot of money trying to get it rt so I don't mess up my new cb all the cb shops around won't mess with it or what 75 an hour please help

First off let me ask a silly question: Are you sure your coax is in good condition? How much coax do you have running from your antenna to your radio? Hopefully no more than 16 ft. Is the coax coiled up anywhere? A coiled coax will cause high swr's. try to run it as strait as possible.

Next run your ground from the base of your antenna to a bolt on the frame of the truck instead of the battery. What kind of antenna do you have? Wilson antenna's for example need to be trimmed down to lower your swr's. Start from a the standard length and trim off 1/4 of an inch at a time and check the swr's to make sure they're lowering.

Next what type of truck are you driving? I ask because Freightliner Cascadia Lightweights are next to impossible to get a swr lower than 2. They're made of so much fiberglass and lightweight aluminum that getting a good ground is rough.

The last thing I'll ask is if you have a voltmeter with a continuity tester on it. If so check your coax and make sure it has continuity all the way through. Put the red lead on one end and the black on the other.

If your connex is peaked and tuned, whatever you do don't run it with those kind of swr's or you'll fry the radio quick.

Beginning my career with PAM

How is CT going? I went there for a refresher a year ago. Just curious if the same ppl are there or not.

13 months driving OTR is over!!!

Yesterday was one of the more joyful days of my life! I woke up at the Campus Inn at 0700, got on a shuttle to the airport at 0900 and was home in Florida by 1500. To stay. I don't have to drive another mile OTR and I couldn't be much happier! Prime has been a very good company. I recommend them to anyone wanting to drive OTR.

I took the job to get "recent" experience to qualify to get a local job here in Florida. Of the 3 companies here in my area, none of them would even talk to me about working there, (I've had a CDL for 21 years but didn't drive tractor/trailer the previous 14) until I had 1 year OTR experience. Well after 13 months I have done that and will be starting a job driving local when I get back from vacation in Jamaica on the 17th of this month.

I'll update the company I'm going to work for later, after I've hired on. I don't want to jinx anything yet but I'm 95% confident I'll work for the company I've been trying to get on with since I move to Florida 2 years ago. If not there is a Trader Joes DC opening next month in Daytona Beach that will be hiring over 120 drivers. Either way my days of OTR are over!!

It's been very rough on my family. I have a 9 and 7 year old that have been having a hard time dealing with me being gone for weeks at a time, only to return for 3-4 days and back out again. My wife is beside herself with my return.

I have much respect for you guys that do the OTR thing year after year. It's a lifestyle that is great for the ones that love it. For me it payed the bills at home but was not something I was finding too "joyful." But I made the most out of it, making "Fleet driver of the month" for the month of June in the process.

For now I've got to get unpacked and repacked for the 6 days we're spending in Montego Bay Jamaica, leaving this Saturday. I need a nice vacation after year of being gone, to reconnect with my wife and kids again.

Again I don't have a negative thing to say about Prime. They are a good company to anyone starting out there career and for anyone that's been doing it for years. (if you can handle the 62 mph company trucks you can't drive more than 58 if you want to make good fuel bonuses.) It's been a ride ya'all! I'll be talking to you from here on out as a "Local driver!"

Moving down south ???

I moved to Florida from Illinois 2 years ago. Except for the 13 months I just spent driving OTR I absolutely love Florida. But let me give you a heads up about this state. Most people are friendly. From what I find the native Floridians are nice and the rudest people are the Northeast snowbirds or the multitudes that have flocked down here from there. Driving here is a challenge as you either get blue hairs driving 10 under the speed limit, or Northeasterners driving 15 over within the same few blocks mile after mile. But all of that is esthetics. The real issue with Florida is the job market. As a truck driver, this is probably one of the more difficult states in the country to find employment as a driver. The market is so flooded companies are very picky with whom they hire. A good company will have over 200 applicants per position. The closer you live to a major city the easier it will be to find a job. Unless of course you want to do the OTR thing and then the finding a job thing is a piece of cake.

Hard time with straight backing, Any tips would be appreciated.

I'm a little late to responding to this post as I've been very busy the past couple of weeks trying to finish up my year OTR.

For strait line backing, make sure you adjust your mirrors so you only see the very outside edge of the trailer in both mirrors. Literally when you look into the mirror (assuming the trailer is strait behind you) you should only see the outside edge of the trailer. If half of your mirror is filled with trailer it creates an optical illusion and will trick your mind into thinking the trailer is turning as you back. You'll constantly be turning the wheel towards it and thus getting it out of whack. It's a constant losing battle and the result will be chasing a trailer you think is turning and it's not.

Did I over explain that enough?? I know what I mean to say but typing it out doesn't seem to be working....

Rejected by Prime!

About prime being very selective in their recruiting process. I don't think they're being selective enough. About a month ago there was a few threads by a guy that had been waiting weeks for a trainer. He and several others had been waiting a long time to get one. I'm a trainer at prime mind you and have a bit of an inside scoop on this. There seems to be a bit of a trainer shortage. Which tells me they need to bring in fewer people so there aren't so many waiting to get out on the road.

The thing I see prime lacking is GOOD trainers. I've talked to too many people that got a trainer more interested in an extra log book on their truck to make money than seriously getting someone trained where they need to be to be successful on their own. My last PSD got a real gem from what I understand that hasn't showed him how to use the Qualcomm or back into a dock after 2 weeks on the road so far. Mind you this of one sided information as I haven't spoke to his TNT trainer. Maybe he's not taking initiative to learn I don't know. Either way to me that's unacceptable.

The best piece of advice I can give you or anyone else coming to get a cdl and train is take the initiative to WANT to learn. No decent trainer wants to spoon feed information to someone that would rather talk on the phone or mingle with other drivers at the truck stops or terminals.

I'll be on more often

So you didn't believe me at first when I told you that an instructor at prime mentioned your prep Pretrip thread. Now you see I was telling the truth. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Florida CDL

There aren't any rules that prevent you from obtaining a cdl and not using it right away. It's the same as a non cdl, it's good for however many years your state had set between renewal. ( Florida is every 8 years) Your medical certificate is only good for 2 years and without that, your cdl isn't valid. However there is a down side to having the cdl and not driving. If you let it go too far you'll have trouble getting a driving job without "recent" experience. Case in point. I maintained my A licence the 10 years I lived in Chicago but didn't drive a tractor trailer. I maintained my med cert the entire time. This year when I wanted to come back to driving truck's I couldn't get a job anywhere cuz it had been so many years without driving tractor trailer. I had to take an 80 hour refresher course thru an accredited school ($ 2,500) in order to get hired. I was basically uninsureable.

So the longer you go without driving, the harder it will be to find a job. Food for thought =)

confused.gif

Sir, what do you mean, your CDL isn't "valid" without your medical certificate?

As I stated, you must be physically fit to have a cdl. You must pass a physical to get a certification. Those are good for two years. If the medical certificate expires, your cdl will be recsinded by your state after 10 days. Some states have exemptions. I don't know which ones. I'll attempt to post the FMCSA link. FMCSA

Tanker Division of Prime

If you come to prime with no cdl and go thru the PSD program I can assure you that you'll do the PSD with a reefer. At least you will REALLY WANT TO. Prime won't let PSD's drive loaded tanks so you can only drive them empty. That means taking 2-3x's longer to get your 75 required hours of driving time to test. Then you can do TNT with a tanker trainer. Not very many of those so you may wait awhile to get one. Also prime doesn't have alot of tank loads coming thru Springfield so if you come here and get your cdl thru the PSD program, you'll likely either : ride with another driver to meet your tnt trainer. Or they may bus you to them. I talked to one tanker driver that prime rented him a car to drive to Georgia to meet up with his TNT trainer.

Is Prime short of instructors

Students...Do yourself a favor and learn every bit of the driving portion of the exam. I'm a bit perturbed at one of the examiners for what he pulled on my student on the drive test today. He failed him BEFORE he ever left the exam pad. I **** you not!! He never got his wheels off the exam pad and auto failed him because my student evidently poked his nose on the road and stopped and a truck coming down the road towards the gate hit his brakes. The examiner said; that's it, test is over, back up and park. The examiner claims he encroached on the oncoming truck making it deviate from his path. That is an auto fail. My guy never left the freaking pad. One of the other examiners allegedly couldn't believe it and repeated like 10 times while he and my student and the other examiner that failed him were in the trailer: " you never even made it to the road and failed!"

That's the second student in a row I've had auto fail for pulling out in front of another truck in the exact same spot. My first failed pulling into the lot (after passing the entire rest of the test) and my second BEFORE he even got on the road. I don't know what to think. Both students never did anything like that the entire time they drove with me but for some reason on test day, bad decisions cost them the test. Although this past one sounds a little scetchy. The first guy yes, I watched and he definitely pulled in front of another vehicle. The second I didn't see but according to my student, he never got his tires off the concrete of the exam lot.

Don't change anything you do on test day from what you learned on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sucks! What happens in this situation? Does your student retest? And, I'm going to guess it's nerves. That test is a major step! Lots of pressure!

Yes he retested today and passed. He only had to retest the driving portion not the pretrip and skills.

Is Prime short of instructors

OMG. WHEN are the mistakes going to end?

I'm a perfectionist and a chronic over-analyst. Iew. What an awful combination.

You know, sometimes when "they" put you in "jail," it's a good thing. I know they're testing my mettle, to see if I either quit or get tougher.

This job is 99% mental. All your points are dead-on accurate and I'll be a better driver because of what I've learned.

It's a relief.

Couple things here:

I'm a perfectionist and a chronic over-analyst. Iew. What an awful combination

It's NOT an awful combination. It IS, in all seriousness, a "gift." You're cognitive and intelligent. Two very redeeming traits. I'm the exact same way. When you learn to embrace this and use it, wonderful things will happen. I've come a very long way in my life trying to rid myself of pessimism and negative thinking and I still have a long way to go. Looking at things "outside the box" is very helpful. So let's put this thought into work with your next quote;

. Instead of looking at this as "putting you in jail," maybe we can look at it this way. They are allowing you to take a little time away from driving to work through a mental block while at the same time not forcing you into time off. (unpaid) At first glance this may seem like a punishment but in all actuality it is very helpful. It's a fact that if you get into an accident/incident, you're more likely to have another one soon after. This holds true especially to people, like us, that don't like to forgive our own mistakes.

Lastly there's this:

Life is 99% mental. Having a good attitude is key. You already have a GREAT attitude towards things, with just a little room for "tweaks" as I see it. You're 100% right, you WILL be a better driver if you put what you've learned into practice from here on out.

I'll end with this. I am by no means a psychiatrist or a Licensed clinical social worker but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'm certainly not trying to imply that you are wrong with your thinking. All I'm trying to do is point out that you can ease the stress on yourself by trying to "sugar coat" the way you look at it. I've watched your posts since coming here and you have overcome some amazing adversity to be where you're at right now. I hate to see you struggle with a set back or two if there is any way I may be able to help. If what I'm telling you is offending you, I apologize. The topic of your thread is "OMG When are the mistakes going to end?" The answer to that is NEVER. But you can lessen them by not dwelling on them as I said earlier by living in the present and not in the past and future. And this I can honestly say I have lots of experience with at 45 years old and living years of my life dwelling on the "shoulda, woulda, coulda's." I still have issues with stress, but nowhere near to the degree I had before I started looking at things outside the box. And that is what is so wonderful about the community here at TT. There is a wealth of knowledge and wisdom to learn from here. Every one of the moderators here have something valuable to learn from. (except Daniel when he's trying to tell people I love Tupac) rofl-3.gif If I've overstepped my bounds here, again my apologies. Again I'm not trying to talk "down" to you at all. I am no better than you and am just another random dude out here with too much to say at times. Good luck MG!!

OMG. WHEN are the mistakes going to end?

Hello MG, I'm sorry to hear about your recent troubles. Most of my experience in driving comes from city P&D. I love it, it's my niche.

When you have an incident, you are twice as likely to have another within days of the first. Why? Because your focus is in the past reliving the mistake of the first. When you're living in the past you're sacrificing focus in the present where you need it. You had a couple mistakes so let's look at what you learned from them:

#1 when making turns you always watch your trailer thru the turn. You know the mistake you made that day and how to correct it. There is your focus. Watch the trailer. Now stop thinking about that damn mistake. You WILL NEVER CHANGE IT. You're wasting energy and focus on an event YOU CAN'T CHANGE. It's over. You my dear are a perfectionist. You're your own worst enemy at this point. Stop talking about the mistake to others and for the love of all things holy get back in the present.

#2 the second mistake happened because your focus was still on the first. Instead of thinking in the present where you should be thinking about weight distribution and securement of the present load, you're thinking ahead to what may come. Trying to prevent mistake #1 from happening again (living in the past) and thinking about what may come next (living in the future) not much of your focus was not in the present.

I admire your thinking MG. I'm a perfectionist myself. I've worked very hard to learn from past mistakes. Until one day I didn't have to work so hard at it anymore. Do you know why I didn't have to work hard at it anymore? Because I learned to FORGIVE MYSELF. I took that bag of bricks I was carrying (metaphorically speaking) and dropped them.

You've been given some time to work thru your thoughts on the mistakes with working on the dock for a spell. Please forgive yourself. (Que "Let it go" from frozen) It's ok to prepare for the future every now and then but don't live in it. You're an over analyzer and need just a bit more time to work thru yourself. That is not a flaw. It's actually a gift.

You've got this!!

Looking for a Prime instructor for PSD

Pad c is at the millennium building. It's the exam pad where you actually take your test. I'll pm you my phone number

CDL Refresher

I took a refresher course last year and a guy I went thru the school with got his CDL then. He also waited months after getting his CDL and had a tough time finding a company that would take him. Well he finally found one and that was Knight Transport. They were going to have him relocate to Lakeland FL which is the terminal he would have worked from. So try Knight and see what they say. Also see if any companies may reimburse you some of the cost of a 40 hour refresher. Prime reimbursed me 75% of the cost of the 80 hr course I took. And it was reimbursed before I finished my 40k TNT training. I believe Western Express was willing to reimburse some of the cost as well.

My tea.... Smells weird?

I'll be following your truck then Greenhorn. Mmmmm coffee!

My hope is that Prime has one of these bad boys in this color, you to go with a theme LOL. Of course I will not be overly picky I will take whatever is available of course. Plumb crazy purple would be a nice one as well smile.gifiqkKhL5.jpg

You can have my "Barney the dinosaur" purple Freightliner when I turn it in August 6th!!

Looking for a Prime instructor for PSD

Well dang, if you listened to rap I was gonna suggest Terry C.

You guys are freaking hilarious!!! Anyway Jeremy, I'm in Springfield right now. My student tested today and failed his skills test. DOH!! Because he didn't listen what I've been telling him about not backing up when you can't see your target. Anyway bud, couple of things here:

First you're from Auburn?? That is very awesome I'm originally from Meadow Vista!! I have many friends and family in Auburn. I went to Chana High for a couple of years. I am going on home time after my student gets his CDL but I'm not looking for a student because I'm taking a leave of absence August 6th for a trip to Jamaica. So After I come off of home time I won't have time to train someone. Plus I can't take you home while you're a PSD otherwise I'd grab you up. I live in Daytona Beach which is a great place to have down time, but I can't leave you in the truck for 4 days and I don't make enough money to put you up in a motel. I'm not sure my FM would let me take someone on home time anyway although since you've been sitting awhile they may make an exception.

My student retests Sunday. We'll be on the pad tomorrow the 4th at the millennium building from 10 to 12 and again from 2 to 4 on pad C. Stop by if you wish and I'll work with you on pretrip or show you some pointers on doing the backing maneuvers. If you come to the pad just please make sure to wear your safety vest. I'm pretty sure my student would be ok with you taking some wheel time as he doesn't really need the practice all that much, he just needs to remember what I've been telling him when he tests =)

And sorry Daniel, you must have talked to a different Terry......I in no way shape or form listen to Tupac. wtf.gif I'd much rather listen to a truck stop men's room with 6 drivers suffering from explosive diarrhea. rofl-1.gif