Comments By Dave D. (Armyman)

https://i.imgflip.com/1ja9yf.jpg avatar

Posted:  4 years ago

Lease Operators

Earlier, I said that was the article. I was wrong, there is one that is more recent, in the August/September issue of Landline Magazine, titled...

"The odds are in favor of the house."

It basically is a rehash of the previous articles written about lease-operators.

Posted:  4 years ago

Lease Operators

Here is a topic I posted 6 months ago:

Lease-purchase: Sounds like a good deal, right?

This story was published by the Business Services Department of the Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA). If they don't think well of Leasing you should take notice.

That was the article I was looking for.

Basically, it hasn't changed much over the years.

If you are going O/O or Lease-Operator, you need to make sure that you read the fine print, and make sure that you have as much control over that truck as possible.

My former trainer went lease-operator with a company, and the lease was terminated because of one speeding ticket. She has her own truck outright and hauls flatbed in the southwestern United States.

Posted:  4 years ago

Lease Operators

Here is an article from 2011....From Overdrive Online

I am looking for a more recent article. I have the magazine article at home, but can not find it online. Will post it when I find it.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Trainer refuses to put chains on is saying we are gonna wait a week for snowstorm to pass

He didn't want to put on chains because these chains absolutely destroy the super single tires. He would rather let it clear than reduce the life of his $5,000 tides.

I don't blame him.

Trainers for big companies have to buy their own tires?

Some companies push their drivers to be lease operators. Also he may be an owner operator moving that companies freight.

I hate to say it, unless you are training someone to be an owner/lease-operator, then I don't think you should be a trainer. It's too easy to think about the bottom line and not think about training a SAFE driver.

But, that's just me.

Tractor-Trailer Stuck Under Bridge

Today I backed up into a load out and the sign said 11' 7"

I kind of doubt it was 11' 7", but I took a picture of it, and I'll post it when I get a chance.

HOS and 34 hour reset

When I said "on sure," I meant unsure.

HOS and 34 hour reset

When it comes to "split sleeper" some companies take a dim view of it. So, if your DM says for you to do it, and you know your company has a policy against it, or are on sure. Have your DM send it to you on the QC.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Speaking of chains, I hear there is "something better" and legal...

I hear they're called auto socks.

Auto sock website

Has anyone used these before? I've seen them at the Iowa 80 truck stop.

HOS and 34 hour reset

There is a requirement in the rules that a driver must include TWO consecutive 1am - 5am periods. That part is also suspended.

It really didn't make sense for that rule to be in there in the first place, because the 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. rule was based on your home terminal or log book time and NOT the time zone you might be in at any given time.

Tractor-Trailer Stuck Under Bridge

My truck's clearance is 13' due to a shorter cab and shorter trailer.

Dave

That guy's clearance is now 11'4", for the same reason.

I think one thing I think people need to understand is MOST box/dry vans and reefers are 13'6". MOST tractors pulling said trailers are 13'6". Some flat bed trucks have a lower profile, and can drive under a 13' bridge EMPTY. Same with some grain hopper trailers. However, I don't know of any tractor that can clear a bridge lower than 12'.

Qualcomm timing shenanagans

This is what I think is happening. From what I am reading, instead of the QC going by the minute, they are going by 15 minute increments, however, you still have to do your 30 minute break (no rounding up or down on that one).

Is that how I understand it?

We are NOT ON e-logs yet, but I informed my boss about it the requirements.

Tractor-Trailer Stuck Under Bridge

In the second photo is that a second rig trying to fit under. Its facing the tow truck.

"The truck was carrying frozen food items which were taken out of the truck and transferred to another one."

That is probably the truck that recovered the load.

Probably. However, how did that second truck get turned around? It looks like it might be tight, when it comes to rigs.

Tractor-Trailer Stuck Under Bridge

My truck's clearance is 13' due to a shorter cab and shorter trailer.

Tractor-Trailer Stuck Under Bridge

Tractor-Trailer Stuck Under Bridge

j195j5j-700x362.pngswft1.png

The driver said he was able drive under the bridge but could not get through to the other side.

What does that sign that says 11'-4" mean?

rofl-3.gif

He was delivering a bridge when the truck ran out of gas.

Wal Mart Parking

WTF!?! It is probably about to happen with every major company. BTW, I know of TWO Walmarts in western Nebraska that have ACTUAL truck parking spaces.

There are also smart phone apps that tell you where the Walmarts that allow truck parking are.

New E-log Rules

The latest "The Trucker Newspaper" has an article on the "Final" rule on e-logs.

Dave

Would you mind quoting it or posting a link if it is online? I don't have access to that soooo... telling me it's printed somewhere doesn't help much.

Final elog rules

The Trucker Newspaper is also available at MOST truck stops. However it was the Dec. 1-15 issue, so you might not be able to get it.

New E-log Rules

It's not only the four wheelers

Heck, I thought you would get a "canned" reply totally unrelated to safety, but to the effect..."Thank you for your interest in SAIA trucking. Your e-mail is important to us and a recruiter has been notified. A SAIA recruiter will contact you shortly. If you have any questions feel free to call ___ _____ at 1-800-***-****, ext. ****.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

In Cab cameras on the driver

No offense meant to anyone here. But who would want to see any of us naked, seriously though we're not a bunch of models.

Speak for yourself. I'm sexy as hell. I get told all the time! Ar ar ar ar!! LOLLL

I think I got the gits on this at this point....pull the curtains shut when I change and when I'm stopped!

Your looks are NOT displeasing to the eye. However I just turned 49, so MOST women are starting to be pleasing to the eye.

It's not only the four wheelers

That was just wrong. The driver of SAIA should have signaled, SLOWED DOWN, and got behind you, if he was going to take that exit, OR, as was stated earlier, took the next exit.