Profile For Larry B.

Larry B. 's Info

MO

Considering A Career

7 years, 4 months ago

Larry B. 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

I’m going with Schneider now I’m nervous

So I called recruiting and explained my situation and where I’m at. They were unbelievably understanding about it and wanted me to be sure. They said my offer is good for one year.

They offered to schedule me in a new class up to 30 days out or put my process on hold until I’m ready. Then just give them a call and we can proceed. Since they already have all the background on me done I could get right in no problem.

She didn’t try to pressure me or talk me out of waiting at all. I respect them as a reputable company even more now.

Now I can take a breath, get everything in order and make the call when I’m ready.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

I’m going with Schneider now I’m nervous

What is your scheduled orientation start date?

October 5

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

I’m going with Schneider now I’m nervous

I got my official pre hire letter and instructions for orientation. Now I’m having major second thoughts. I didn’t expect it to come together so quick. I have to give my current employer notice by this Friday, get some kind of short term health insurance in place, and I’m currently on vacation in Colorado until Thursday!

I’m planning on calling them today to discuss everything but do you think it would be wise or even ok with them to ask for a later orientation date? I’m just feeling extremely rushed and I’m not 100% feeling good about the decision right now. I know I need to be totally committed once I pull the trigger

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

I’m going with Schneider now I’m nervous

I applied at Schneider this morning and got a conditional offer to go to orientation in Green Bay probably October 5.

I went to cdl school two years ago and then got hired with a company but I only went out with a trainer for a week and then decided to hold off on the trucking career until my last son graduated high school and haven’t been in a truck since. My son is now in college and I’m ready to go.

I’m already nervous about orientation. Will they expect me to do a driving test and a pretrip at the beginning of orientation? If I screw it up will they send me home? They hired me as a CDL holder with less than three months experience. Im probably overthinking things as usual.

I would like to hear from current or recent Schneider drivers if possible

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Does any companies require the jab yet?

I know Brett had a great thread about this and I agree completely with him on the subject.

Do any of you know if there are any trucking companies that already require the shot and do you think all will eventually go that route?

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Paying off the Western Express contract

If it’s not for you and your done, pay them the money and walk away. No guilt no shame

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Which Mega Carrier is better for regional/dedicated loads?

Larry, If you dont mind what made you pick CFI over Knight? Might help. I have a medical procedure next month. After that I am going to start talking to recruiters. I was leaning towards Knight and Roehl but I will check into CFI as well

Thanks Rick

Rick the cdl school is actually in Neosho, MO. CFI headquarters is in Springfield

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

Which Mega Carrier is better for regional/dedicated loads?

Thanks Rick

I already have my CDL but I don’t have any experience so they wanted me to go to Phoenix Arizona for refresher training which I don’t really want to do.

CFI said I could go through their school in Springfield (crowder cdl school) which I heard was very good and welcomed that plan because I have No experience to speak of. Plus I can take my vehicle to the school and come home on weekends if I want.

Posted:  2 months ago

Which Mega Carrier is better for regional/dedicated loads?

Forgot to mention, I am in the Kansas City area.

Rick

Hey Rick, I’m also in the KC area kinda. I have researched several starter companies too and plan to go with CFI in October. the recruiter said I could go Regional after training. I also looked at Schneider, Swift, Prime and knight. I’ve decided on CFI mainly because they put you through CDL school and then you are with a trainer for a minimum of 21 days and the trainer sits in the passenger seat the whole time. You don’t drive team during training with CFI.

You do have to drive for them for one year to pay back the schooling. The recruiter I talked to didn’t seem to know how much money you have to pay back if you leave before the year is over which I thought was kinda odd that she didn’t know that.

Posted:  2 months ago

Thoughts on newbie starting in winter

I’m looking at starting with CFI school at Crowder around the first of October. That would put me with a trainer around the first of November which would put me in my own truck at the beginning of December.

would it be better to wait until early spring to avoid the worst of the winter just starting out or should I just jump right in?

New driver legs and but are killing me!

I have finally realized my goal of becoming a truck driver. Just started Monday on my trainers truck. I’m driving between 7 and 9.5 hours a day so far. I’m not having trouble at all mentally or getting tired/sleepy. But after a few hours my legs (especially my calves on down) and hind end start hurting bad. Is this normal for noobies or is there a special cushion or something I could get to relieve the pain?

I’m currently on my second trip this week to the northeast. Maryland and then Connecticut from Missouri.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

My Maverick recruiter called me today and said they are going to start requiring a two year contract to go through their school. I'm considering going to a school here on my own now. I'm hoping I really like flatbed and don't plan on quitting but I'm just not sure about a two year commitment.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

My Maverick Transportation Diary

Hi Jeramy,

I don't live far from you (Warrensburg,MO) I have been approved with Maverick to go through there CDL sponsored school in April. I don't retire from my current career until then.

I have a question about transferring the CDL. The way I understand it is you get your permit and then CDL in Arkansas and then you come back to Missouri and transfer it back so you have a Missouri CDL.

Do you have to retake any tests or the CDL physical to get the license transferred back to Missouri?

Thanks

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

CFI at Crowder College

Larry:

Due to an acute family health issue, I resigned from CFI to stay much closer to my home area. I'll be starting with West Side Transport in a matter of days, as soon as CFI stops dragging their feet and sends my diploma to me. Paying my tuition balance was not an issue.

Since I resigned from CFI and turned in my truck, I will not be posting in this thread any longer. If someone asks me a question about CFI's training, I'll gladly answer when I can. Most of my energy will be focused on getting up to date with WST and dealing with the family situation. My Sister will be coming to Ohio, so that will definitely be a huge help to me. Unless I hear differently from West Side Transport, I will be starting orientation on 9/10. It will be interesting to see how I do on a manual the first day and how quickly I can catch on. In the future, I may post about my daily 'goings-on' with WST.

Wait. What? You quit CFI? What happened? Didn't you go through their sponsored school? Won't you have to pay them back for the school now?

I understand completely, I hope all goes well for you and your family.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

CFI at Crowder College

Should I choose a company that trains on automatic transmissions and have that restriction on my CDL?

Just finished out monthly conference call where we get to hear all the great things CFI is doing and get to ask questions of our company president as well as heads of other departments. CFI has no plans to faze out training on manual transmissions in the schools. The fleet only has a few manuals left. Don't believe every rumer you hear.

I just got off the phone with a CFI recruiter named Courtney. Courtney said their school is now 3 weeks instead of four and you WILL have an automatic transmission restriction on your license.

I don't think CFI is doing that. I'll try to remember to try and ask that tomorrow.

Yeah if you could check that would be great. The guy that told me that went through the CFI training At Crowder college.

Apparently CFI and Prime CDL training programs are now testing their students out on automatic transmission trucks since they are going all auto so the new drivers that go through their training will have that restriction on there license.

Would you experienced drivers consider this a deal breaker if you were just now coming into the industry. I know a lot of companies are going all Auto. I was considering CFI because of there school in Springfield,MO but now I don't know.

What are your thoughts on this?

Dry Van Midwest Regional?

Hey Jeremy I reread your post and realized you are looking for companies that offer CDL schools. The companies I mentioned require you to attend a school on your own but they will reimburse you for a year commitment. There are several schools in our area if you could swing it. State fair community college in Sedalia has A 160 hour CDL school for about $3500. That's the best price I've found so far.

Dry Van Midwest Regional?

Curious if anyone knows of any companies that offer a dry van Midwest regional. Home every weekend or every other weekend for at least a 34 hour reset.

I will need CDL training. I do have my Missouri permit and medical.

I live in Pleasant Hill Missouri, about 30 miles South of Kansas City.

I greatly appreciate it! You all stay safe out there.

Hey Jeremy I'm not far from you in warrensburg. There are several companies that hire new drivers for Midwest regional.

My top two choices so far are Schneider National, and Transland down in Springfield. Westside transport in Iowa also hired new drivers for Midwest regional I think. If you're interested in flatbed, Maverick and TMC are the way to go in our area. There are at least two TMC drivers here in warrensburg that I see parked every weekend.

No need to go OTR any more if you don't want to.