Comments By Jimbo

https://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/jim_reed2/peterbilt_zpse3f1bd73.jpg avatar
  • Jimbo
  • 8 years ago
  • Comments:

DMV Permit test

The dmv clerk told me that they consider anyone using another's old test to study with "cheating" I called that a "study guide" in college... Really, what is the difference in any similar test taking practice?

Just so everyone knows, the questions we have in the High Road Training Program we made up ourselves from the materials. We did not copy any other practice exams nor did we try to get the actual questions from the CDL exams that anyone had taken at the DMV. We simply combed through the materials and created the questions ourselves. So you likely won't find the questions on your actual CDL permit or endorsement exams to be exactly the same questions we have, but sometimes they will be very similar. Our goal was to help you learn the materials, not memorize a few questions hoping they'll be on the exam. If you truly know the materials, which I promise you will after going through our program, you'll do awesome on your exams.

Also, here's how our program breaks down:

To Get Your CDL Permit:

• Rules & Regulations
  • Driving Safely
  • Transporting Cargo Safely
  • Air Brakes
  • Combination Vehicles
  • Pre-Trip Inspection
  • Driving Exam

To get your CDL endorsements which are optional but we highly recommend you get:

• Transporting Passengers
  • Doubles And Triples
  • Tankers
  • Hazardous Materials

And two sections we've built ourselves with info you'll need for everyday life on the road but the manual doesn't really cover it:

• Logbook
  • Weight & Balance

Pretty much what I assumed Brett. Taking the NYS testing and the material in the High Road program covers everything I've seen in the Commercial Drivers Manual that the DMV puts out.

Best trucking companies to drive for??

I totally agree. I've worked 5 jobs in my "working" career. Changed industries and had to relearn new skills 2 times. I had to grow from the ground up and push through alot of BS during some of those changes. There's not one job out there that you walk into and start out at the top without paying some sort of dues. Trucking is no different. Good days, bad days, goes with any job you get.

Went south for the winter

Funny you mention snow. Growing up and learning to drive in Buffalo,NY, you'd think I'd have no problem with the snow. But the though of driving one of those things in the snow..sliding around...does get the butterflies going! Buffalo area is my home for at least 9 more years so I better get used to it. Once the wife retires in 8yrs we're thinking of Tennessee/Mississippi or somewhere down in that direction. I'm in the work force for at least 10 more....

Are trucking companies switching to automatic transmissions?

Interesting thread. USXpress is a company I had considered. But knowing that they were famous for auto's, I contacted one of their reps about having a choice as to what truck you get to drive...auto vs. manual. I was told that you drive what's available. Needless to say, I prefer to get my experience driving manual...I think it'll be awhile before auto's are the norm out there.

Starting company sponsored school with cr england tomorrow at the cedar hill texas campus

Officially hired by CR England today. My driver trainer called me and said he will pick me up tomorrow. I so exited to start driving and earning a living again. It's been a month since I've had any income coming in and with a family of 6 I don't have to tell you that i'm broke. Will leave some updates while I'm out with my trainer.

Great news Matt...congrats!

DMV Permit test

Thanks for the replies....kinda what I figured but always good to ask.

Trucker christmas ideas

Linda....be sure to shop online for the best pricing. Amazon carries alot of whats been mentioned and the prices are decent.

DMV Permit test

Simple question for this morning.

I'm wondering...are the questions on the DMV Permit Test similar to the one's used on the High Road Training program? I'm assuming their multiple choice questions but still curious.

Recovering a truck

I'm leaving out of Birmingham tonight via Greyhound going to Chicago then catching a cab to Joliet to recover a truck which I have a feeling is going to be my own for a while. Question. My FM told me to catch a taxi from the bus station to Joliet which 41 miles away to my understanding and he said keep the receipt and he'll reimburse me. My question is why do I have to come out of pocket for that ride? Also I don't ride taxis requently so I have no idea what to expect as far as cab fare for traveling 40-50 miles. Seems expensive.

Try this...Cab Fare Calculator

Looks like close to a $100 fare.

My qualcomm sucks.

Now that sounds more like BabySitArc if you ask me....

Just Passed the Permit Test now on with the hard Stuff.

Congrats Brian...nice job.

Heading to Orientation

I'm heading out today to H.O.Wolding for orientation. Super excited, and yes, a bit nervous. I haven't seen anything in the diaries section about HOW, so I'll try, but no promises. Not sure I will have the time or inclination to write at the end of the day! I kinda feel like I'm stepping off the edge of a cliff with no parachute. I'll be flapping my arms like crazy.

Good luck Deb. Funny you mention HO Wolding. They hire in my area, regional runs, and from everything I've read on them their a good operation, small company that treats its drivers well. If I were opting to do a regional gig, HO Wolding would be one of my target outfits.

Let us know how things go.good-luck.gif

Overweight Load Question

Alright, here's whats going on. I can put money that your trainer is a lease operator.

He's thinking about his revenue and that's it. He doesn't care about your record or anything else besides money. When he gets loaded and goes to a CAT Scale and finds out he's overweight. Going back for him means losing money because of fuel and time.

So what does he do? He puts you as the driver. That way if you're caught the Overweight Citation won't be on his record - it will be on yours. He doesn't care, and if he did then he would go back instead of risking getting a mark on your record. The fact is that you're the driver, and because of this the citation will be under your name.

What are the consequences of this load?

For him, its nothing but a profit. He doesn't have to go back, and should anything happen or he get caught - you're there to absorb the damage. The consequences are that you'll have a citation on your record before you even go solo. An Overweight Ticket isn't a huge deal, it happens, but the fines are nothing to laugh about - especially in CA.

Am I being taken advantage of in these situations?

That's exactly what he is doing. He is taking advantage of a student who doesn't know any better.

Do the experienced drivers run overweight this often?

I've done a few that I don't care to talk about. But I would never in my life do what this trainer is doing.

What you need to do is resolve this without getting anyone else involved. Have a heart to heart with him and talk to him about it. Be straight forward and let him know how you feel. Ask him why he is doing this. Tell him you're afraid for your license. Lastly, tell him you will not run illegal.

Listen, I'm an Instructor/Trainer at Prime. I know all the nasty details. The truth is, there isn't enough PSD Instructors and way too many TNT Trainers. Going into PSD, you're lucky if you don't have to wait for a trainer. However, as a TNT student, there's not enough of you and too much trainers. I heard that the wait for a student for the TNT Trainers can be months! You're his bread and butter, you're his paycheck, and unfortunately, you're also his punching bag. Trust me, there's a million TNT Trainers right now that would love to have you and have been waiting for a long time for a student. You need to tell him straight up that you won't run illegal and risk damaging your license, if he cannot accept that then you'll find a trainer who won't do that.

But this guy is a complete dirt bag for doing this and you absolutely cannot continue. You may not have gotten caught yet, but you sure will. And it will hurt.

Daniel....stupid question coming your way. Why should he not get anyone else involved? I'm curious. If it were my license I'd be inclined to want to let someone at a higher level know what was going on to cover my a**.

I just completed my first solo run!

Congrats Jolie! This is a huge milestone in your career and hopefully a good indication of things to come. And I must admit, I'm proud that the bridges that I cross each day, the Grand Island Bridges, are part of your training memories! lol Here's to your continued success!!!

Am i too old to get into trucking?

I can feel that "Old Timers Club" becoming a reality on TT...dancing.gif

Extremely bummed out...

Daniel...that is definitely a kick in the groin. Seeing someone with your experience get turned down is honestly eye opening to me. But I've seen it before myself and I'm sure I'll see it again.

Hang in there. Everything happens for a reason. Trust this old guy...

Class A in hand & a BIG THANK YOU!

LOLOLOL......are you worried about an old man's club?? From what I'm seeing on here the number of old timer's is growing daily! BUT..I may be old...but I'll still be asking you youngins for advice very shortly......

I am finally a real trucker!!!!!

Awesome news Jolie! You'll do just fine out there. Let me know if you need an escort over the Grand Island Bridges!

Class A in hand & a BIG THANK YOU!

If you folks started an "Old People Club" it would probably crash our servers due to overpopulation. smile.gif

Steve...way to go. I'm 53, start school on the 22nd and I'm an official member of the "Old People's Club". And I want to thank Daniel for coming up with the official name...lol

Roll Call: Who's in Springfield, MO?

Yea i made out of there safely, although it set me back so i couldn't make it home tonight. I ended getting the truck stuck at one of my stops in east aurora and had to have the plow guy give me a quick pull with the front loader.

But hey I'll be back that way again next Wednesday if you're still going to be around. I stay over at a hotel in south buffalo.

Definitely...would be good to meet you. I'm heading to NYC Thursday morning for a couple days (vacay) but should be around on Wednesday. Shoot me a message next week with info on where you're at.