Comments By EngineeringMother

https://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y442/EngineeringMother/20130405_160050_zps40c5bea9.jpg avatar

A few comments for the ladies

I heard one just the other day. A friend of mine was working with a bunch of men and one of them called her a b**ch. She hollared back "That's b**ch goddess to you"! I fully intend to use that one someday. BTW do you know what that term actually stands for? Beautiful, Intelligent, Talented, Charming and Hot! rofl-1.gif

Internet and WiFi on the road

I use Virgin Mobile, too. I bought a Samsung Galaxy 2 phone that runs Android for $275 but I have NO contract. VM uses Sprint towers. For $60/mo I have unlimited calls, texts, internet & data at 3G & 4G speeds. I have wi-fi enabled on my phone and use it as a mobile hot spot. I can connect up to five devices to it. Works great! I'll never go back to a contract again. I can use my phone to stream movies from my Netflix & Amazon accounts to my Kindle Fire. Or I can watch them on my laptop. I also check out e audio books from the library to the Kindle or phone, connect to the stereo with adapter cable and listen while driving. Since it's electronic media there's nothing to return when the loan is up. Win/win!

Books

I love my Kindle Fire, too. I can check out e audio books from my library and connect to the speakers in truck/car to listen. Since it's electronic when the lending time is up there is nothing to return. Or I can buy it like Star says. For an $8/mo fee on Netflix I can stream movies on it over an internet connection. Which I set up on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy 2. I use Virgin Mobile as my service provider, bought the phone outright for $275. There's no contract and for $60/mo have unlimited calls, text, internet & data at 3G/4G speeds. And it runs Android O/S. Gotta love it!

Swift training

So first day of school is over. Lots of paperwork, no surprise there. We started with 11 students - I am the only woman - and two got sent home already. One whose sugar was too high on his DOT physical long form and the other because he didn't have his driver's license. Had his CDL from a few years ago but no Class C/car license. This guy had not driven for a while and was coming back to get restarted.

Covered a lot of info today, even got started on Logs which I already understood thanks to the training here. Thanks Brett! thank-you-2.gif

Spent the last two hours out on the practice field beginning the pre-trip inspection freezing in this cold March wind. I finally got to see a truck engine up close. Tomorrow is Logs and more pre-trip. We have some good instructors, very helpful. It might snow on Wed and we'll be outside so I'll be wearing my long johns.

Right now I'm going to make a run to the grocery store, do some laundry, get in some study and go to bed early. BTW I love the super hot showers and fluffy towels here!

More to come.

Swift training

Hello there Red! Good to hear from you. I will definitely be coming here with my questions.

Well, I drove 3.5 hours this afternoon to Richmond VA and am now checked in at the hotel. Swift moved everyone from Motel 6 to Candlewood Suites, thank goodness. Seems there were lots of complaints about the 6. I'm sure to hear more tomorrow in class. This place is nice. A complete kitchen w full size fridge, complimentary laundry, weight room, wi-fi and comfy beds - always a plus dancing-dog.gif I have a room to myself even though it seems there are other women in this class - hooray! We meet the van for school at 5:30am outside the lobby. I am unpacked and about to settle in for a good night's rest. I'm excited but tired. I'll be back tomorrow night!

HHHEEEYYYY BBBBRRREEETTTTTT

Think about it...what would a man be worth who figured out how a woman's mind worked ??

Didn't Mel Gibson do that? And look what happened to him shocked.png No offense but guys basically have one track minds. That doesn't mean they think of only one thing but they think of only one thing at a time. Trying to keep up with a woman's multiple tracks/trains of thought is just overwhelming. Tell me if I'm wrong confused.gif It helps (a little) to understand how each other process information. Luv ya guys!

Swift training

rofl-3.gif

You made me guffaw out loud. Do you remember those commercials, too?

Does your Trucker cook in his truck ??

One thing I've learned is to have protein at every meal. Not a lot, just a few ounces is enough. Lots and lots of veggies. And keep drinking that water. Your body and brain need it to function well. I drink about a 1/2 gallon of water a day and go every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. shocked.png That's about how often I want to get out of the truck and stretch/walk around anyway so having to go potty will force me to do that. See what works for you but don't short yourself on the water.

Good luck, Pebbles. BTW I'm jealous of your avatar. A PINK TRUCK! love it

Packing List for Students

As far as the foot thing, there is this product called Toe Juice. I know, sounds terrible but it works wonders. Was developed by a high school chemistry teacher. All natural, clears up topical infections, keeps them clean and nice smelling. There's also have a waterless hand sanitizer called Hog Wash that does not dry out your skin. Gotta love those names! shocked.png

Check it out: http://www.toeJuice.com/ and http://www.hogWashSanitizer.com

Crete: Here I Come!

Too late anyway. I'm first smile.gif

Congratulations GA Rookie. I look forward to reading your updates!

Need areas...

Brett,

It seems I can't switch between the forums unless I have a thread open. Can we have all three titles listed at top of the page? Perhaps with current one in the center and larger than other two? The other two being links.

Thanks for changing the font and getting rid of shadow effects.

HHHEEEYYYY BBBBRRREEETTTTTT

Hello girlfriend! So glad to see you made it. I will be checking in on the Trucker's Wife/Female Driver forum you are moderating, too. And no, I do not think you are narly. Refreshingly honest, practical and upbeat, yes. And I love you for it. thank-you-2.gif

Fees for licenses?

You must take the written test again and get another background check every time you renew HAZMAT. I just did it the first time two weeks ago. Had to go to State Police to get fingerprinted after passing test at DMV. Check their schedule, it is only done on certain days/hours and it cost me $127.50 (in PA). Renewals don't cost quite as much.

Do all the endorsements when you get your permit, while you're in the test taking mode. I passed them all easily after using the training on this site. Thank you, Brett!

TWIC card (allows you unescorted access to every port in the country) cost another $130. Good for five years. No test, just fingerprinting and background check. That's what the fee pays for in both these cases.

Best of luck, Britton. You've come to the right place to get started in your new career.

DOT Launches Free App Featuring Emergency Response Guidebook

This was in our company newsletter and I thought drivers might find it useful.

DOT Launches Free App Featuring Emergency Response Guidebook - Delivers Hazmat Safety Info into the Hands of Emergency Responders

The U.S. Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration has created a free, mobile web app of its Emergency Response Guidebook 2012 (ERG). The new safety tool will provide the nation's emergency responders with fast, easily accessible information to help them manage hazardous material incidents. The mobile ERG will make it easier for firefighters, police and other emergency first responders to quickly locate the information they need, thanks to an electronic word search function, and will ensure easy reading even during nighttime emergencies. The 2012 version of the ERG includes new evacuation tables for large toxic gas spills and standard response procedures for gas and liquid pipeline incidents. Links to download this software are available from the Apple iTunes website (ERG 2012 for iPhone) and from the Google Play website (ERG 2012 for Android). Click here for complete press release & links

Swift training

Hi Old School. Thanks for the encouragement. So glad to hear your recovery is going well. TWIC wasn't so hard, just time consuming. I know you're anxious to get back out there. Keep us updated.

Brett, I'll do my best to post frequently. I got my new phone last week, Galaxy 2 with Android. It's puuurty and I like it. I enabled wi-fi so it's a mobile hot spot to which I will connect my laptop. I did not want to count on Motel 6 having decent internet access. rofl-3.gif

That's right. Motel 6. But they do have new microwaves and fridges in the rooms. Apparently just for us.

I'll let you know what I think after check in Sunday evening.

User name

Brett,

How can I get my old user name back? Thx.

Swift training

I’m leaving Sunday (in 4 days) for Swift’s Richmond VA training facility. This has been a long time coming and I’m really excited! Three weeks ago I got my permit along with Air Brakes endorsement (required by Swift). A few days later I went back to DMV and got the rest of my endorsements, Doubles-Triples, Tanker, HAZMAT. The following week I went to the State Police to be fingerprinted and start the background check for HAZMAT. Thanks to the Online CDL training Brett has set up on this site, I passed all these tests the first time. Hooray! Earlier this week I went to the port of Baltimore and applied for my TWIC card. That will be ready by the time I finish the three week course for Swift. The school is only 3.5 hours drive so I’m taking my own vehicle. Once that is done a third party tester – that I pay $220 for – will drive me back to my home state DMV for the driving test. Then I wait for a female trainer and ride/live with her 4-6 weeks. After all that I will get my own truck! I requested a female trainer so there will probably be a wait and so far I’m the only female in the class. That means I get a hotel room all to myself. Woo hoo!

It’s been very hectic because I am not only leaving my home; I am moving out and renting it. For this final week my younger son and I have moved in with another family that has agreed to let my son live with them until he leaves for his 2 year mission in October. When he returns he will start his college career going for a degree in Civil Engineering. My oldest son is finishing his sophomore year in college going for a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Once he’s done this year he is also going on a 2 year mission. When he returns he will continue his schooling. Both boys will be attending the same school. I am only 20 credits shy of my degree in Electro-Mechanical Engineering. My remaining classes are all online so I will be completing that program once I am settled in my own truck. So you see where I got my username smile.gif

I figured everyone else is leaving, I’m leaving too. No way am I going to stay home alone. Driving a truck is something I wanted to do when I was 20 and never did. Now it’s my turn to live my dream.

Made a few more updates to the forum

Hi Brett,

This new forum looks cleaner already. I've noticed the background color is shaded light to dark, top to bottom. That looks good but as you get closer to the bottom the text has a white shadow. It's creating some eye strain for me and feels a bit painful to read. Perhaps eliminate the shadow effect?