Profile For Cleft_Asunder

Cleft_Asunder's Info

ID

Experienced Driver

4 years, 9 months ago

Cleft_Asunder's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

I hate my company.

Without jumping all over the other stuff on this discussion - sounds like working for a small mom-n-pop, can be a nightmare.

With 14 months of experience, you should be able to move into another company - or back into the company you left the first time (assuming you left on good terms).

As OS comments - an ample demonstration of why the grass is not always greener.

Get back onboard with a national/large carrier - keep your head down and put a year in - not because you're under obligation to, but to start developing some stable employment history.

While it's understandable in the first few years, to do a little "shopping around" for a company that is a "best fit" for you. The best companies do want to see someone that shows they can stick things through.

These companies STILL have a 2-3 year OTR experience requirement for hire, higher pay and better equipment - because they want folks that have demonstrated a commitment to sticking around and getting the job done.

Rick

See, now that is a sound reply with good advice. I agree and i think i will stick with these guys 4 more months because the experience is important, but its hard for me to get past the poor maintenance that is really a major safety issue.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

I hate my company.

You guys are really set in your ways. No disagreement is tolerated. All im allowed to do is listen and not talk back. "Whatever"

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

I hate my company.

Cleft, you are a heck of a character.

Man i don't even know how to reply to you other than to say that you are a master at character assassination. "Digging in the past?" Thats something i specifically try not to do since its pety. For example, im a "bumper buster" because you know that i was in two minor accidents, so that rules out any future potential that i can call myself a truck driver.

Somehow you missed the entire reality and tone of my post, unlike old school, who did understand without taking my side.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

I hate my company.

And btw, if you're thinking that im getting worse and worse trucks because my miles are slacking or because im not a good driver, you're wrong. I would get 3600 miles sometimes, and 2500 minimum. This is just not what you do to keep drivers.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

I hate my company.

You're kidding...right? Just trolling to get a rise out of the forum?

No, 100 percent true, and thats not even the worst of it.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

I hate my company.

So im with my second company now at 8 months experience, plus 6 months experience with my first. Its a "mom and pop" type gig but im really regretting it.

I signed up because they leave me alone and let me do 72mph. They gave me a "newer" 13 spd volvo with 237k miles on it. During the first week the truck had some issue so it went to volvo, and normally a driver should wait for his truck to be repaired since he has all his stuff in there, but NOPE he wanted me to do a "favor" and get into a similar volvo to run loads until my truck was repaired. I was very annoyed and thought to myself, "this guy just wants me to get into his truck and make him profits." Get in the truck and go. Boy was i right.

So a week later i was eager to get my original volvo back since i didnt like the second one as much because it had serious engine issues. Even though he told me i would get it back, i find out some lady is driving it. The lady eventually damages the truck and so im stuck with the second volvo.

So as time goes on, i persisted in telling him that the check engine light is on and that it has multiple issues such as hard starting, but it became obvious that maintenance is a low priority. The truck fails to start one day and had to be towed due to fuel injectors. I was in a motel twidling my thumbs for a week. I was annoyed and ****ed because im very mechanical, and preventitive maintenance is a big cost saver, and a joy to exercise. And i realize im working for a company that thinks they are saving money because they avoided balancing the tires. And then i realized, "hey wait a second, why the ____ don't i have an inverter in here? If i owned a company, i would pay out of my own pocket for one, and even a tv and sattelite dish. Why wouldnt i want to make drivers happy?"

Now I should mention that i do a lot of work on repairs, making sure the truck isnt falling apart. 8 months pass and the truck finally gets fed up with the second engine issue and cant start. I was telling them for 8 months that they should get it fixed. What do they do instead? They dont repair it and take it back to lease. Okay, maybe that makes sense, but it was a nice truck, ans it was MY truck because i was comfortable.

So --get this-- they throw me in a 10 spd prostar eagle that they just bought, and im thinking, "wtf is going on here? I dont want this truck, i want my volvo." I notice the truck is lacking power and has a check engine light on, no surprise there, so i check the air filter which was heavily clogged, and removed it. Thats how much im respected that they throw me in a truck that isnt even checked for basic things?

Any way, i asked for another volvo, and they gave me one. I'm currently driving a truck with 800,000 miles on it, and there are like 10 things wrong with it, one being that it's ghetto, and another that the cruise control doesnt work. In fact, when i took off for a load today, the hood flew forward on the highway as i braked since the latch was not installed correctly.

Any way, there are lots of other things, but i want to ask you guys for advice because i really want to get 1.5 years in, but that means staying with the company another 4 months, and i am really hating my job right now because my truck is old and ghetto, and i dont respect my boss. I think he is greedy and selfish and i don't believe he is fit to run a company.

Swift: What transmissions?

Oh and I wanted to ask, are they going to make me drive at night? Because I have been driving during the day for the past 7 months for another company, and I start dozing off before 12pm. -_- They have their night drivers.

Swift: What transmissions?

Upon upgrading I was assigned a 2015 KW T680 with a 10-speed.

And yes, it has a huge wheelbase on it. Makes parking in tight docks a challenge. But Ive enjoyed it for the most part.

Bigger wheel base but bigger sleeper, right? Those 680's are so nice in the inside! The 660 too. Very high quality.

Swift: What transmissions?

Volvos and Freightliners seem to be the most commonly assigned to newbies, although it's really a tossup. If you get a KW it will almost certainly be a retired lease-op truck. I've heard that they are somewhat resistant to assigning them to rookies because of the longer wheel base.

The good news is if you get a 9 speed it will be the same shift pattern as the 13, just without the splitter. So no learning curve really. In the end it won't matter what truck you get, they all have their own little quirks and issues. Just hope you get a truck that has a suspension dump switch, it can be an inconvenience not having one at times.

Thanks for the all the info!

Swift: What transmissions?

Im in a 2014 Cascadia evolution Eaton Fuller 9 speed

Is the 9 speed fun to drive? The 13 definitely was.

Swift: What transmissions?

I was in a cascedia 13-speed. I hope I get a truck I'm happy with because I really don't like the pro star or the peterbilt. I'm curious about the volvo's and kenworth t660/t680's.

Swift: What transmissions?

Does Swift run straight 10's or super 10? I'm going to be so confused if it's a straight 10 since I'm used to the 13-speed.

2nd accident in 3 months.

Thanks for the reply old school. Gonna take it slow and try to get to 1 year as smoothly as possible. Maybe i will switch to 11 western for a while so i go on more familiar routes. One thing is for sure, i am going to take home time off as much as possible just to decrease the chance of an accident over the year.

Yes its difficult being a good driver especially if you like to experiment and take minor risks like i do to see the outcome. I learn the best when i actually make the mistake, but there is barely any room for it in this industry because it can put you in an accident. I wish someone would have told me how serious they take minor accidents because i wouldnt have attempted the things i have and used more caution. Thats what im really bitter about.

2nd accident in 3 months.

1st mistake you should of learned with your trainer use your right shoulder and as soon as its lined up with the center lines in road making your turn on too you make your turn 2nd yup GOAL but personally if you didnt feel comfortable backing I would have found another spot and when your not rolling go hit up an empty parking lot and practice good luck and dont give up just keep trying you will get it

Oh this wasnt that kind of turn. It was a mandatory 2 lane split if you want to make it. I didnt split and made the turn any way. It was my fault, i felt pressured to tough it out. Bad idea.

2nd accident in 3 months.

I will try again but extra careful like you said. If it doesnt work then screw it, i will switch careers or perhaps join tzu chi (a buddhist relief organization) which i was going to do before i got my cdl.

Thanks.

2nd accident in 3 months.

Second incident sight side back between two trucks at pilot, put about a 1 foot x 2 inch gash in another trucks fiberglass bumper with rear right of dot bumper. I wish i would have been told to avoid such a back until i was more skilled. Thats what i would tell a student if i was a trainer.

Remember GOAL! (Get Out And Look)

That brings up another point. Many new drivers are eager to prove themselves like i was. A good instructor should shatter that mentality by tellling the student to avoid difficult and unnessesary situations so their cdl stays clean.

I got out and looked but too early btw. Wasnt too useful.

2nd accident in 3 months.

What are your 2 mistakes?

First mistake was right turn at intersection, trailer went onto sidewalk and right side hit stop light covers bending them. I almost hit the pole that held the stop light. I had to reverse, go left then forward to widen the turn into oncoming traffic to clear it. Minor damage to trailer, no tears or holes.

2nd accident in 3 months.

Well, i was having a good time driving until my second minor accident, and now i realize im expendable. Now i feel like a guest who'se about to get kicked out.

Its difficult to avoid minor accidents as a new driver because of the many intricacies that can get you in trouble. A proper training and trainer will emphasis the most crucial information, such as low bridges or how you should avoid right turns in a 90 degree intersection as much as you should avoid blind side backing. You are lucky if you get a training program that is worth something. There is so much info my company should have provided but didnt and i have to deal with the repercussions. I'm not blaming them for my accidents but they expect too much from rookies.

The way these larger companies operate is that they filter out "bad" drivers. No accidents? You're a "good" driver! Hooray for you. It doesnt matter if you do 55mph down 6% grades every day, as long as you dont damage equipment, you're golden. Instead of building genuinly good drivers by letting them make the minor mistakes, they keep a taly; 3 "preventable" accidents and strike, you're out. You bad driver you. Meanwhile high horse joe (who sucks at driving) is accident free mainly due luck and he gets all the praise, while you (a potentialy good driver eager to learn) is going to be filtered out.

This field is too unfriendly to new drivers. Experienced drivers are judged by the same standards as rookies. There should be a 6 month window (at least) for rookies to be allowed to make minor mistakes with no jeapardy to their jobs. Instead we get our jobs threatened; a fantastic boost to confidence to know that if you make 1 more minor mistake its termination. I have one more strike but im a good and safe driver, but i cannot call myself a truck driver until i have made most of the mistakes. But the trucking industry has almost a zero tolerance policy for mistakes for rookie drivers, and that is inhuman and unfair. So i really have doubts about the field now.

My qualcomm sucks.

Zonar's sales video

Wow.

Here is how an honest conversation would go on you first day at a company that uses this:

Hi and welcome to blah trucking! We here at blah trucking do not trust you a d*** bit so here is your log in info and keep in mind, we are going to micro manage the h*** out of you! We are a dysfunctional family here at blah trucking and place a high value on our bottom line and you are just meat in a seat pushing buttons and holding a wheel, which can be done by anyone. Stay or don`t, we just don`t care!

My response: wtf.gif

I`m kidding. I actually like that it can be removed from the dock without wires, easier to run over it that way...Oops, did it again.

rofl-3.gif

This is exactly right. I went to CDL school to learn thorough pre and post trips, and the basics of the truck. Then I learned more with a trainer, and now solo. But Zonar believes you to be pre-CDL-school status... for the rest of your truck driving career. On top of it you get monitored if you're a good driver based on subjective company ideas of what a good driver is. Stuff like this doesn't get built by truck drivers, it gets built by business men.

"When a threshold is exceeded, the [driver gets a slap on the hand]." Zonar: The boss breathing down your neck. (And that was one of the reasons you became a truck driver, to avoid that) -_-

Are trucking companies switching to automatic transmissions?

- You might not be accelerating hard enough to relieve the pressure on the gears when you let off the gas. Try mashing on the gas harder as you're accelerating.

- When you do let off the gas, don't do it slowly. Do it instantly.

- Make sure you have a little pressure on the shifter before letting off the gas and "pop" it out of gear the moment you lift your foot. Don't try to slowly ease it out of gear.

- You have a window of about 1/10 of a second from the time you let off the gas until the weight of the trailer puts pressure on the gears from the other direction and keeps you locked into gear. So you have to accelerate hard and pop your foot off the gas pedal quickly while popping the shifter out of gear at the same time.

When you see a veteran do it, it seems like they're doing it slowly and smoothly but in reality they're making quick, sharp movements off the gas and out of gear. Keep the word "pop" in your head. Like I said, you only have about 1/10 of a second where the pressure is off the gears. Jump off the gas and pop the shifter out of gear at the same time.

Good to know. Those points are probably why. I was definitely trying to do it slow and smoothly.