Comments By Bill R.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete3.jpg avatar
  • Bill R.
  • Comments:

Traffic Camera

What's so bad about the Northeast anyway?

To the Americans, a "Canuck" is a Canadian, regardless of where they're from. In all the 27 years I lived in Quebec, I never heard the word "Canuck". When I came in the US and I was randomly called a "Canuck", it was aggravating. Later on, I researched the term, learning that Canucks designate the English speaking Ontarian population and further West in other provinces. A hockey team in Vancouver was named "The Canucks". The term is not for the French Canadian population of Quebec. To this day, I keep being called "the Canuck" and I just let it roll off my back...lol

RV, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Canuck refers to all Canadians, and its first recorded use was to describe a French Canadian. That Les Québécois would prefer to be called something else doesn't remove the words origins nor meaning. It's true that English speaking Canadians will identify as Canucks. The rest of world calls us all Canucks, if they notice Canada at all.

My daughter notices Canada all the time! She wants to move there (Vancouver). Of course, she is fifteen, but it has been this way for a couple of years now.

Veriha

Does anyone know if the previous post is something I should be worried about?

TWT Refridgerated Services, begin orientation December 7, 2015, Monday at 7:00am.

I start orientation with Veriha, same times and dates. Monday through Thursday, 7:00-5:00 this coming week. I also will keep people posted through a thread here. AND, we can compare notes to what each orientation does alike and/or differently. Since I know absolutely NO ONE in Marinette, WI, I will have plenty of time for updates here.

Veriha

Now I am a little less happy. I was ready to sign up, so I read my acceptance letter. My previous letter sid $0.38/mile. My acceptance letter said $0.34/mile. I called and said "Why is it this?" Recruiter tried to tell me that she sent me a letter with new policies and it was $0.34. I said, "Forget it. I won't drive for that." Then I hung up. Less than 5 minutes later, I got a call back. "My boss said I can get you the $0.38."

I went ahead and took it, but, now, I am GOING TO WATCH EVERYTHING.

Veriha

Well, It's official now. Heading off to Veriha on Sunday. I'll be writing a blog regarding the trials, etc for as long as anyone wants to read it.

That is awesome!!!

They drive the yellow/gold trucks, right? I think I have seen a few down here, if they are. A big V like symbol on the front sleeper part?

That is them! picture of Veriha truck.

Veriha

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

Whatever happens, happens.

This statement is why I left a corporate job, left teaching and I am now trucking.

Training for Veterans

Ummm, yeah, I never heard that even one time.

*blows up soapbox from my B12 Combat engineer training*

Your personal vehicle

HAHAHA! Also, (this is back in 1991) when I was hit with a catasrophe I got a bill from the hospital for $2,000,000!!!!

Ummm... What? How? Well, long story, I was hit in the drivers door going 60. I was in a Toyota Corolla and the other guy was in a 1977 Chevy Blazer. The police said it was my fault. I have no memory of any of it because I was in a coma for 3 weeks.

Anyway, long story short, I had insurance on me for $250,000. I thought that was plenty. It was not. I owed $1,750,000. SO, yeah, go ahead, go without insurance. What could go wrong?

Training for Veterans

I was in the military (Army) from 1987-1995. One thing I did not know is that my GI Bill actually EXPIRED! I did not know that could happen. So, when I went to trucking school, I was really PEEVED when I found out I would have to put up the entire 5 grand.

Single, no kids and OTR

Get a PO Box in the town you have your license from. And, you can store the car at a Long Term storage facility. If you live in a city, those can be found easiest in the suburbs.

Brett's Book

I guess first, we need a list of parameters. Are there more than you listed?

1.) size 2.) number available 3.) road restrictions 4.) bathrooms 5.) road restrictions 6.) wifi ? 7.) restaurant ? 8.) fuel ? 9.) hours ?

Is that all?

Brett's Book

Right, it's crowdsourced. No, I'm not working on it right now. I expect someday I'll do it but it's not high on the list right now.

Seems to me, we have enough drivers here, that we could start gathering the needed information (destinations) ... Once the app is built, inpout the info from said thread, and we have a good starting point.

We are going to need someone to lead the data collection. Dan?

Smoking in the cab

I have smoked a little in the past. Found it to be enjoyable but always felt guilty as hell, because I KNEW it was very bad for me. Never really allowed it to become an addiction, I could literally feel the hook setting, I was waiting tables. When I woke up one morning, craving a smoke, it horrified me, and I quit for good. That was over 25 yrs ago. Considering that inhaling 2nd hand smoke is as bad or worse than actually smoking the cigarette, I hope to god my trainer is not a "Butthead". If my trainer does smoke, I hope he AT LEAST, rolls the window down.

just looked this up. the part about 2nd hand smoke is horrible! It's hard to imagine that people still pay almost 5 BUCKS a pack for cigarettes that absolutely KILL THEM AND THE PEOPLE AROUND THEM.

from the CDC - "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including nearly 42,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure." <---- say what you want, but 42,000 people die a year, because someone ELSE had to smoke. WOW!!

Actually, I find this data to be quite suspicious. I am unaware of ANY peer reviewed studies that hold up to scrutiny. I am NOT advocating smoking in any way, but I have researched this and never found the CDC to actually show any credible studies.

Brett's Book

The only problem with that idea, Brett, is that it requires active participation from drivers. It sounds like it might do well. Do you need someone who can do SDK work to create the app, or do you have someone working on it?

I'm 52, retired for about a year, and interested in trucking

Greenup, IL is bit farther north, but MTI ALWAYS has openings.

Brett's Book

So, since parking has been a problem for YEARS, and now, on/off ramps (even at rest areas) is deemed unsafe (I probably agree), it seems that there is no pending solution. Anyone have any ideas? I understand the problem, a parked truck earns no one any money (aside from drivers being safe). What is a good solution? It also appears that a driver might have to stop earlier than necessary to be sure to earn a parking spot.

Brett's Book

Also, the section on running over HOS; is it possible with e-logs?

Brett's Book

One thing not discussed that I could find (I read the entire book today, it was THAT valuable) was parking on off-ramps. I see it done all the time, but is it legal? AND, my uncle quit trucking in the early 80's. He said one of the main problems was parking. How serious is it?