Profile For Dwight

Dwight's Info

VA

Experienced Driver

6 years, 1 month ago

Dwight's Bio

Went to a truck driving school in'89. My first driver job was with Schneider National. All cab-over fleet. Took jobs with local LTL and pulled doubles for a few years. I left the drivers seat to work as an auto tech which I do presently. I think I will return to OTR so I can travel.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Finding a new job with a preventable accidents on my record

Hopefully, this does not offend anyone I was giving my honest thoughts on the matter.

I wouldn't worry about that as long as you do it in a respectful way. It's a far too often occurrence someone will come in here with an elaborate story of how something happened but leave out important details or fabricate certain parts. What they don't realize is the advice we're giving for their particular situation becomes worthless because we advise someone based on what we're told.

We all make mistakes and many of us share our goof ups to help others learn from them. If you're not willing to admit when you're wrong and find ways to avoid repeating it you're going to have a rough go.

Up-vote for Rob T.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Finding a new job with a preventable accidents on my record

I think this is a troll post. It's beyond absurd.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Finding a new job with a preventable accidents on my record

How did you get the belt replaced? You don't have a cell phone?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

His age as a driver, i.e. 'too old'.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

Company declined his app.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

Edit; 250K driver over 65 years of age.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

I agree an insurance company can deny coverage for any variety of reasons. But the driver states he held a medical card which makes him qualified. The o.p. hasn't given enough information about his experience, or the company he applied to. Yes, Craig's List has scam risks but many reputable companies seek out drivers on these job boards for local positions.

I have yet to see any company state a maximum age limit to be considered for employment. I'm sure they exist. The Dept. of Labor estimated over 250K truck drivers on the road in 2017. I don't think its an industry-wide practice to deny employment or coverage based solely on age.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

D.O.T. states 21 years as the minimum age. There is no maximum. Just because a person reaches an age to qualify for Medicare or S.S. doesn't mean they have to take at that time. There are plenty of drivers who started out in their sixties and older right here on this forum.

I don't know the O.P. situation, but if a company I applied to came back with that, it would be a red flag for me. Better to move on and not waste time.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

The D.O.T. says you're medically qualified. I don't think they could reject your app based on your age. Sounds discriminatory to me.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

The right time to jump in?

Thanks Steve, I want to go in with a clean sheet and do not intend to promote that past experience. I follow the trucking related sites and such. I want 'boots on the ground' opinions.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

The right time to jump in?

I'm looking to drive after retiring from my auto tech career. I hold a current CDL and have past experience. I'm not presuming that will count being ancient. Excellent work and background history. So the question is; what do you think of entering this profession as a 'new' driver considering the current state of affairs; virus, shut-downs, economy, etc. I would like to hear any pro's and con's! It would help me to move forward with a decision. Thanks!

Train as a Diesel Mechanic or just let my CDL A go?

Hi TZ, first you would need the CDL if you are working on trucks. You will need to test drive the vehicle as needed. Keep in mind that starting out as a mechanic will require much more 'training' and cost that being a driver. I have done both. The tool investment can be staggering. From my personal experience, if you go down the mechanic road you need to seriously look at working for a company that has its own in-house maintenance or work for a government agency. Salary and benefits over the long term is much better that working flat-rate. Keep up the CDL: it's a job in your pocket.

How does Shippers Choice stay in business?

There are some excellent CDL schools. And then some aren't. Keep in mind that they are there to secure your CDL license. They have a steady stream of students whose tuition is covered by grants. It's all what you make of it. I went through CDS in Woodford. They did what they said they would do. It was up to me to get there.

What happens if you die on the road?

You'll probably get a truck abandonment on your record.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

FIRST DAY FAIL!!

You're tough.Damn the torpedoes !

Looking to run a refrigerator. What power inverter would I need?

The real limiting factor is the wire size of the source power. Cig /acc plugs are only 16 or 18 gauge. 20 amps pushed by 12 volts through that wire size is okay for limited duration. I 'm willing to bet the wire size on those products mentioned ( connected direct to battery) is around 4 gauge, which is substantially larger.

#Upgrade...ah yeah!

Good job Driver! Stay safe!

Starting At 60 years young am I crazy.

Yup, me too. I'm 60 and ready to come back after 25 years of turning wrenches.

Made it in

I too believe the top bunk is illegal. Think about low clearances. You should request a different trainer; it is not uncommon to do so. Also realize if you bail on Werner they will likely make a comment in your DAC. Think carefully. The training is the hardest part.

Maverick hair follicle test

Someone who lights up the tokemaster daily.