Comments By Karl A.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig9.jpg avatar
  • Karl A.
  • Comments:

Truckers Health

Once I get my own rig I plan on getting a mountain bike with quick release wheels and seat to carry with me. A quick sprint on a break can bring energy levels way up, not to mention I could use the bike as transportation to a nearby store if I am maxed out on driving hours for the day.

I read you can have the passenger seat taken out of your truck when you get assigned one. Going need the room if I want to carry a bicycle with me, unless you're not allowed to have a bike of course. Still don't need the seat either way.

Genius haha I have seen some that litterally fold up when being stored.. do you know anything about that? taking the chair out I have never heard of that..

Truckers Health

You certainly can. I've never owned any but I've tried them out and they'll definitely work.

I'm not on the road anymore so I have room at home to exercise. I like bodyweight training. I use a combination of floor exercises and hanging exercise straps to do exercises based purely on your own bodyweight. Lifting weights just bores me to death for some reason so I don't do it anymore. Plus I raise a few animals and heat with firewood so I'm doing at least some heavy lifting and carrying every day which helps also.

I used to do a ton of jogging for cardio but I stopped doing that. Instead I work cardio into my strength training routine now and that's far more effective for overall fitness. With jogging you're only building endurance into certain muscle groups. Working cardio into strength training will build endurance throughout your body.

How do you personally incorporate cardio into you strength training? Are you talking about keeping your heart rate up with short breaks and stuff?

SWIFT

I dunno IM exmilitary, chain of command and all.. I was told I am going next week I will ride out the storm until I am handed something I was told would happen ya know

SWIFT

Many people did go home for a few days between the permit, cdl, and mentor phases. Some longer than others. I did not, I was in the mind set to get this all done till I get my own truck.

I have had a professional attitude and carried myself in that manor the while time.. This is why I was confused I went home.. I was sick bad though after standing outside in the 30s bc IM not used to that in Florida.. Maybe that had something to do with the planning

SWIFT

You never stop learning out here! I doubt I will truly feel comfortable with the industry for at least another 18 months. Looking back I would say the most important things about training were to get your CDL, understand basic operation of truck (turning in traffic, backing, shifting), and basic understanding of pretrip inspection. In my previous post I told you they wanted me to sit for 8 days. I was proactive though and got into a slot at the academy from a drop out. It gave me one extra week of training.

How much were you charged for spending another week?

SWIFT

Just combed through your posts. I have not regreted working for SWIFT. The training is good and they will work with you on things you need. Hang in there it will get better.

I hope so bc all I can do is study paperwork wish I was in a truck learning you know.. How long have you worked with swift?

Comming up on 6 months, still a rookie and my first winter. There are a lot of swifties on these forums. Most are satisfied with the co.

I am not unhappy I want to know if this is a normal thing to be sit home in the middle of CDL training for two weeks. I want to drive a year for swift you are half way through my initial goal so that's cool.. How quickly did you pick everything up? Did you go home 2 weeks into CDL training after passing everything?

SWIFT

Truckers Health

Haha keep the bettus away? and proper weight is debatable haha.. HEY BRETT these uhmm resistance bands your talking about, I have never used them before.. Can you really get a good work out in with them? Are they more for like toning or can you build mass with them as well?

SWIFT

It could be a delay in getting drivers tested out. Hard to say. But I agree also - make a call and see what's going on.

Yeah spot on Bret, it's a delay in drivers. I am just worried the 2 week break , maybe more, between driving Skills and road training could screw me up.. Then if I fail the driving skills after two weeks off I have been told I would go home till I could be recycled back into ocala for Academic Probation.. So I am stressing if you can't tell

SWIFT

Karl, that is really odd. I've never heard of anything like that before. I think you should make a call and find out why you are having this break in your training. During your orientation did they give you a number for any person who can sort of serve as your trainee's liaison, or maybe a person to call if you are experiencing problems with your trainer? This just doesn't sound right to me - I think you should get right on this and find out, from someone other than your trainer, why this is taking place.

Well this isn't a break in time with my trainer. This is a break in the time before I get my CDL.. A break in my CDL training.. So I have in writing on my contract that my school would be 3 weeks long from Oct 27 to Nov 17.. basically we were told two weeks in Millington TN and then we would be sent to the terminal in ocala FL to finish the last week. Now I passed everything on my driving skills in Millington and was given a ticket home to FL and the reason I was not sent to ocala right away was a lack of room in ocala.. so during my first week home I called Millington TN and the person I was told to contact picked up and told me to call back the following week, that they were full and didn't have enough trainers. So tomm, this Mon, I am going to call and hope I am told I can start next Monday.. If I am in next week that means I had a two week break in my CDL training, I am very upset about this.. I mean I am going to owe 4400 for this and I feel swift is not holding up Thur end on the training and they breached the contract we signed. Not to be Mr negative I am going to push through and continue with the program and use this as a stepping stone. This can't be normal though breaking like this during CDL training.. I mean I go back after to weeks off for my road training and then after that week am supposed to test out at the dmv.

Truckers Health

So I am wondering what the people who stay in good shape while out otr do.. Diet, exercise etc

SWIFT

So I completed my first two weeks of training and now I will have two weeks at home before going back for my 3rd week of training.. Is this normal for most company training programs? 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off then a week on and then my dmv cdl test?

Posted:  5 years ago

Looking for a mentor (Swift FL)

I complete my last week shortly and am trying to find someone who works with swift that has mentored before and would be willing to train again.. I am very laid back dont care for drama just want to learn from someone whom is very very knowledgable and am hoping I dont end up with a new mentor etc.. Dont care if you smoke or do not, I plan to drive for an entire year to get my school for free through the military scholarship so you will get paid your extra for my miles over my first year.. Anyways drop me a personal message or hmu on here, ALSO if you know a OUTSTANDING trainer in my company PLEASE contact them on my behalf

Posted:  5 years ago

Hair follicle test

It depends how long your hair is.. look at it like every half inch you have on your head as a month

Posted:  5 years ago

Anyone have experience with SWIFT?

I am in my last week of training with swift and it is free for me being a veteran if i stay a year with them.. Fast pace but I have made it so far so no complaints, although half my class didnt make the cuts or couldnt handle it.. If you have questions hmu on a personal message

Posted:  5 years ago

Looking for insight

I start my last week of company sponsored training for swift soon.. I was looking for insight and tips on driving on the road for the first time with aq trainer and 2 other students.. Also looking for some knowledge on downshift, double clutching and insight on florida dmv testing.. appreciate any and all input

Posted:  5 years ago

Finished my first two weeks at ...

Where in florida are you from?

Central Florida

Posted:  5 years ago

Finished my first two weeks at ...

This is what a Company-Sponsored Training program is like.

There's nothing easy about it, the people who can't handle it are the ones who won't be able to handle trucking. Hang in there! Believe me, sleeping in a moving truck isn't any easier.

But congratulations on your 2 weeks! Keep it up and don't let anything get you down.

Appreciate the words Daniel

Posted:  5 years ago

Finished my first two weeks at ...

I joined Swifts company training about a month ago, left in late October and am now having to wait till Thursday to find out how many weeks i have to wait on my home terminal to give me my last week of training before my cdl test with the dmv.. The instructors I had in Millington were... well lets just say one was really good and the other had an attitude.. Good cop Bad cop? maybe.. Truthfully I felt it was like a refresher course and not a cdl training.. we had 55 people in my class on day 1 and we had 25 people graduate the first two weeks.. at 4400 a pop i can see swift making a lot of money or at least tax write offs from the 5 training programs it has.. Knowing this left me a little perturbed as to why we had military beds in our rooms that were not very comfortable.. The sleep deprivation we were put through left it very hard to pick things up quickly and coming from Florida into 30 degree nights for over 8hrs left it physically hard to take notes on the one time we were shown how to do the driving skills.. I still haven't been told how my mirrors are supposed to be set.. Most of the people in my class whom have made it this far had prior experience with a truck before, leaving me wondering how I made it this far lol hopefully the last week of training at my home terminal will be much more hands on

Posted:  5 years ago

Unions in the trucking industry!!

The only thing those facts prove is that the third world is on the rise, not that America is in decline.

So what exactly do you think is going to happen when most of the worlds wealth accumulates in the east? This is a trend that likely is not going to end in my lifetime and IM in my 30s.. We are already seeing the effects of this with the decline of the middle class in America and the boom of the middle class in China