Comments By Jessie G.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucks.jpg avatar
  • Jessie G.
  • Comments:

"Every Driver has a Story" Video

I watched it, teared up a little. Now I'm thinking maybe this is not for me. I have wanted to drive for awhile now and my wife says she is ok with it but is she really or is she just doing her job as a wife and backing me on my decision to do this? I'll never know I guess. I do plan to sit down with her Today and discuss this more to see if anything has changed, a thought from her or a pause with a response from a question, maybe a different look will tell me if she is doing her job as stated before or she really wants me to do this. This is about all I have left that I can do to help her with my Job as a husband and father.

Non-truckers trying to discourage me.

My father in law said "You will not like it" after I told him what I was trying to do. I wanted to say "well how the hell do you know what I will like and not like?" but I didn't. I actually get along better with him than my wife does so I kept my mouth shut. So what if I don't like it? I'll never know til I do try it. Then if I don't like it, I'll just drop down to something local or at least try to. Somewhere, someone will need a CDL A Driver and I will be there. I have wanted to drive a truck for years just chose not to because I figured i wasn't "Built" for it. Not to mention I was comfortable being a Paint Slinger, made decent money for the hours I worked, didn't have anyone looking over my shoulder telling me how to do my job (Other than at the beginning of the job). So after all I have said here, i say Go for it, I am.

PAM Trucking?

A little info first: I applied to Chatt State here where I live for CDL Training, Was accepted, applied for a Grant to help pay for the training, got it. Now, to start schooling I have to have 1 MMR and one Mumps Vaccination (Only got the Measles and Rubella shots when I was a child...not sure why my parents didn't have me Vaccinated more). So, I decided to apply to PAM. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about them, good place to train, treat people right, etc.? Info needed, I'm supposed to call them Monday Sept 29th to discuss my app. Thanks in advance and I will probably be thanking you again for your responses.

A better Life?

I guess I should have mentioned that my doctor "Released" me the last time I went. I only need the shots now "When I need them" from what he said. They seem to be holding up. I am calling him today to see about getting the DOT physical and the shots so I can start school.

A better Life?

Hey Jessie, Have you had an MRI? and what the H*ll are they shooting you up with for you need 5 shots a month? water

MRI, yes. The Dr that reviewed it said my L4 & L5 were compressing against each other and my spine comes to a "Point" at my hips. The L4 & L5 are also pinching my sciatic nerve which causes my left hip/leg/foot to hurt and sometimes spasm. The shots relieve the pressure and help stop the spasms. 4 of the shots are an epidural and the 5th is cortisone. Big relief considering I dealt with the pain and not being able to walk sometimes for over a year. With the shots I am back to walking straight up, driving my 5 speed truck, running...I have not ran in a lot longer than a year and now my oldest son (17) can't catch me, he gets really mad knowing his 42 year old dad is faster than him. I'm hoping this is the right career choice for me and my family. I have plans to drive OTR for about a year to get some experience then dropping and looking for something local.

A better Life?

Hey there Jessie and welcome!

I have a couple questions for ya:

1) Where is Graysville? (yeah, I know I can google it, but, where`s the fun in that?)

2} How much can you lift on a regular (not constant) basis? You don`t actually have to answer that but it is something you will want to know to help you decide what kind of freight you will be able to haul, ie, flatbed, reefer... etc.

3) Not a question. Dude, it is two little shots! shocked.png You got this! dancing.gif

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad I found this place.

Where is Graysville? Do you know where Chattanooga, TN is? If you do then I'm about 30 miles North of there. Small town, if you blink you will miss it.

How much can I lift? I figure a 5 gallon bucket of Block filler weighs around 75lbs. 5 gallon of paint weighs around 50lbs. I have no trouble carrying the block filler in my arms but I do struggle with it if I just use the handle.

Shots... I'm not worried about them. I've been getting 5 shots in my left hip once a month for the past 3 months (Sciatic nerve damage).

A better Life?

Hello all. I'm new here and new to the trucking business. I have decided to give it a go and see where it takes me. I hope I am making the right decision. Main reason I'm doing this is because I was injured last year around Feb and had to quit my job, thought I was so far gone that I might need disability. My daughter signed me up and I was denied. Reason was: I was unable to do the work I had done in the past (Professional Residential/Commercial/Industrial Painter) but I was not Unable to work...What? I figured that maybe (Hopefully) trucking would give a good pay check and be somewhat easy on me. So, I applied for a grant to go to school (didn't want the headache of having to be in a contract with a company, not that there is anything wrong with that, it just wasn't what I wanted to do) and was approved. Applied to a school and was accepted, only thing is, seems that when I was young, I didn't get all of my shots...so now I have to get 2 MMR's (I hate shots). I have a nephew that has been driving for over 20 years that told me that if I got my CDL we would look for a team drive job (Not sure how that will work). I'm just looking for a better way to provide for my family and I know that I will be away from them Alot but they are worth it. In my condition, this is about all I have left. I don't have the education or the want to become a pencil pusher (nothing wrong with that either, just not for me) I can still do the daily normals (walk, run, etc.) as long as I don't over do it, I'm fine. I figure that driving is easy enough (I know there is alot more involved than just driving but I'm sure or at least I hope I can handle it) and I've wanted to drive for awhile now...plus I promised the wife I would buy her a house smile.gif So I'm waiting to hear from the school and looking to get my shots and DOT card to start schooling. Hopefully it will work out and I'll see you on the road soon. By the way, I've been doing the tests here, I'm hoping they help ;-) Awesome site and very informative, thanks for the hard work.