Comments By Snappy

https://i62.tinypic.com/35lbwi0.jpg avatar
  • Snappy
  • Comments:

Walmart Truckers Score $100 Million Lost Wages Victory In Court

Jesus Christ tap-dancing on a cracker! They get paid for the sleeper berth time... and they're COMPLAINING THAT IT'S NOT ENOUGH?

Jeez, what a bunch of crybabies!

I-84 through Idaho and Wyoming

There are some. Honestly, Northern Idaho was steeper overall. I assume you're taking I 80 after Salt Lake City in Utah? I just drove that route from Portland through Iowa last time I was out.

You might be a trucker if......

You check your mirrors in your pv to see where the non-existent trailer is heading while turning corners.

The first time you start your pv after getting home, you stomp on the clutch so hard you hope you didn't break it. Then, after getting ready to move, you kill the engine because the clutch engages about an inch off the floor instead of an inch from the top.

Experienced Drivers, did I make a mistake?

Agreed. You did the right thing. The old saying that no load is so hot that it needs to cool off in a ditch applies to late night runs too.

Best GPS with hazz mat routes

Rand McNally TND 730... Period. Of course, it helps to remember to stay away from populated areas.

Yep, I use the 530. Same info with a 5" screen, which is big enough for me. You can tell the GPS what type of placarded load you're running, and it'll adjust your route accordingly. Not a substitute for real trip planning, of course, but it is a nice help with that process.

Training days on the road

Didnt post yesterday because well i didnt drive and was still exhausted. 3 drop and hooks washington DC Traffic and didnt shut down till 130. Today though i drove backroads bypassing washington drove through most of the PA mountains. Wow what an experience my stomach has finally detatchd its self from my butthole. I was exhausting but fun. I stopped at the last sunoco rest area in PA heading toward Ohio. Trainer D said that i did pretty good. We are here in Ohio and will deliver our load in the morning.

Now you know the rest of the story

That's pretty cool! My first experience driving a rig in snow was on those mountains! Man, was that a scary morning! Just keep plugging away at it man, it gets way better. :)

Why drive for a living???

Hi Bob! Well, your question -- and the subsequent observations -- show that you are bringing a lot of assumptions to the table.

First, yes, if I was a family guy, doing what I do would be a lot harder. In fact, I would probably seek out a regional, dedicated, or local LTL position that would get me home every weekend, if not nightly or almost nightly.

As it is, I enjoy traveling and seeing new sights. My office is located in the continental United States and Canada. And the view is great. You know why office folks like corner offices so much? It's because they have two windows. My office has three.

As far as your recommendation to "go to college and get a degree," well, here's the thing. People who drive these wonderful 80,000 pound murder machines (let's face it, one slip and that's what they can become) come from a wide variety of backgrounds. I do have a degree -- a BS, actually. I spent eight years feeling miserable in one job, and two years feeling the same way in another. I've managed over 20 people, worked 17 hour days, and came close to ruining my health through overwork and stress. Life is too short for that.

Everyone will have different priorities in life, and everyone finds satisfaction in different places. Personally, I love what I do now. With a little bit of experience, I now have a base pay that is close to what I was getting before bonuses as a corporate manager with my own region to take care of.

FREE TRUCK WASHES in Fredericksburg, Virginia right now!

blue Melton flatbed trailer big rig truck truck

;-)

Roadcheck June 2-4, 2015 - plan accordingly

If I hadn't needed to get a tarped load reworked yesterday, Errol... I would have posted this last night. Didn't see yours til just now.

Really hoping that I get my home time now. I put in for it three weeks ago ;)

Roadcheck 2015 is nigh...

It's almost that time of year again. This year's emphasis is to be on load securement. Of course, they'll be doing tons of level 1 inspections to boot. It's scheduled for June 2-4.

Be ready and be safe (and secure! HA!), everyone.

Wanting to become a truck driver

If you got a ticket for it, it's a citation.

Truth in advertising (pay)

I would say those numbers are usually padded a bit. How I think of it, just for comparing pay, is add three zeros to the base cpm pay and slide the decimal all the way to the right. So I would assume, say, .35cpm equals $35k a year gross minimum as a realistic expectation.

X-Rated and Don't Get Refresh With Me!

For those who aren't familiar yet, when you get your tanker endorsement and your Hazmat endorsement they mark it as an "X" on your CDL. That's why he's "X-rated"........

smile.gif

Yep, and if you have doubles/triples with it, then you are Texas rated! ;)

What makes a load "Good"?

Madness. Popeyes is too spicy, they charge too much and most importantly, no pot pies. I'm all about the pot pies.

Too spicy??? There's no such thing.

Getting CDL on my own

Man, if I could have gone that route and not had a big old school bill, I would have jumped on it. :)

Trainees Beware

Be extra careful when choosing a trainee partner. Ask questions like what kind of medications are you on? Or have you ever been psychologically evaluated?

I am not kidding! I found a great company , dry van, to get experience and even maybe spend more than one year at , even had an awesome trainer.

My first partner had to go to court so I had to team up with another. At first he seemed well spoken , clean and job oriented.

Now, well now his drugs only work half the time, he almost dropped a trailer had I not asked him if he put his Landing gear down, almost swiped two cars and did not even look over when changing two lanes doing so to get off on the exit ramp. Drives like an idiot in the rain and does not look down the road to watch traffic , braking on the back ends of cars within feet.

I tried seriously to help him with Qualcomm and how to do paper work and conserve time and in return he had shown lack of concern for anyone else by playing music beyond loud and acting like a smug **** head. He even tried to do that I am leaving you here trick thinking he is cute. This guy should not be allowed to drive a car worth a combination vehicle. It is just a matter of time before he causes an accident.

I have come to the point that I am going to not talk to him if possible and am using white noise to find some kind of separation. I promised myself I would go completely without home time and am still positive only the younger me would get away from him or put him in choke hold wake him back to ask him if he is still alive and repeat the process. I mean he is an antagonizer. TRAINEES BEWARE

Man, I never had any problems like that... but I knew some guys in my training class that had similar issues. I'm glad I got away from teaming. Just not for me.

I hate when you're sitting in a dock with your windows down and a fly comes in.

The first thing that came to mind was an old cartoon that you youngsters may or may not know. Probably not though...

Pinky: Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?

Brain: The same thing we do every night, Pinky - try to take over the world!

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

"I think so Brain. But where would we get a wading pool and five gallons of grape jelly at this hour?"

I love this thread!

What company should I go with?

Congrats on your prehires, first of all! Those all seem like solid choices. It sounds like home time is a priority for you. Now is the time to call all those companies back, and find out exactly what kinds of dedicated or regional lanes they could hire you into. I wouldn't worry about having to learn to run hard before moving to intermodal. Those daily home jobs may be a little ha4der to land at first, but you should be able to learn how to work safely and efficiently whether its OTR or regional. I know JB Hunt has a lot of intermodal that can get a driver home weekly, at least in the Midwest.

Good luck, and keep us posted! Always glad to hear good news. :)

This is why securement is so important

Pat, the last coil that size that I hauled weighed 45,000 pounds. Four coil racks under the beveled hardwood, and 12 chains on it as tight as I could get them.

The reason I said he may have been over weight is because it seems like there were 2 coils but maybe not. In the second photo the coil is secured to the deck again.

From what I have seen of trailers and the chains in the deck and the damage to the trailer he would have only had 4 maybe 5 chains on that load and those anchors are only rated at 5k pounds each. At most there would have been 3 pulling towards the back. Once one goes it is all over.

Yeah, it depends on the coil... they can be deceiving, since a slightlysmaller one of a different alloy may only weigh 20,000 pounds. Fortunately they are all given a label, so you can figure out how many chains to use pretty easy. Either size would be plenty to tear through a cab and squash someone like a bug.

I hate when you're sitting in a dock with your windows down and a fly comes in.

Look on the bright side. At least it wasn't a bird.