Comments By Carter

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0358761001521845550-23733.jpg avatar
  • Carter
  • Comments:

Truck Drivers Road Music... favorite songs for favorite stretches of highway

So, in my former life, before starting this journey, I ran a local radio station in Maine. I am, by no means, a music expert or anything, but music has always played an important part of my life.

At every point in my life, there had been a song, or a group that said exactly what I needed to hear to make me dance for joy, make me think about what I was doing, or even cry for what I had lost.

Much like a good wine paired with a good meal can make for an extraordinary dining experience, I think a great song paired with the right location can make for an extraordinary driving experience.

Today, I was driving through northern Montana and I had Pearl Jam Radio on XM. This stretch of desolate, stark, unforgiving road went perfectly with the moody, angsty music from Eddie and the boys.

Think about some of your favorite stretches of road and let us all know what music would pair perfectly with it.

It was the best of times; it was the worst...

@Brett... Now that was pretty funny. Thanks for the lol as I get ready to leave beautiful Shelby Montana.

Daylight Saving Time

Nothing beats an organic egg!

Have you tried a whisk? Just sayin'

smile.gif

It was the best of times; it was the worst...

Do yall think it may be because when you see the sun creeping up your body /brain registers that you shift is almost up so it involuntarily starts winding down? Just a thought

I think it is a combination of a lot of things. Circadian rhythms are what they are. Your body KNOWS roughly what time it is and would really like to know why you haven't taken your dumb a$$ to bed yet.

Add to that the glimmer of light you see as you are already getting drowsy and you have the perfect recipe for the gawd awful feeling you get when your head jerks up and you realize that was almost really bad.

Thankfully, this happens less and less as I learn to grab sleep at any possible opportunity and I know to start getting crunchy snacks (baby carrot's and jolly ranchers are my favorite "mouth busy makers") ready and really focus on what I'm doing until the sun comes up and "resets" my body clock.

It's an odd life, but so far, a satisfying one.

Thank you trucking truth!

Hey Tracy, I hope everything goes well for your wife. My trainer and I are still sitting in Shelby. Long story. At least the prime rib was good last night...

Thank you trucking truth!

. I really have no desire to see Montana in february behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler

LOL, from the guy sitting in a restaurant in Shelby Montana waiting for our next load...

There is less snow here right now then there was when I last drove through New Mexico.

Wanted to share my truck driving accomplishment

Great job! It doesn't matter what profession you are in, it is always difficult to be considered among the best year after year. You should really be proud of yourself and I'm sure you will strive to make it 3.

Go get 'em again next year.

Thoughts on prime

I came in with my cdl and am currently on week...? 3 or 4, they are kind of blending together, but I am very pleased with the way prime conducts itself as a company. Honestly, even though my experience is limited, I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that there are probably a number of companies as good as prime, but not sure if there are many that can be considered better.

Just my uneducated $.02

It was the best of times; it was the worst...

Hello all,

I'm still out here taking in everything that I possibly can and avoiding causing damage to life, limb and property. I have also learned something very important about myself; the absolute worst time for me to drive is the hour right before sunrise.

It doesn't matter how long I slept, or what stage of my shift that hour falls, I always get eye fluttering, neck jerking tired just before the first dim light begins to appear from the east. I have found solutions to get through it, but I have to assume that this is a fairly common issue (my trainer, Satan, complains of the exact same thing), but for me, that is definitely the worst of times.

It is, however, followed closely by the best of times; like this morning. Heading north on I-15 from Vegas to Salt Lake City at the Utah 150 mile marker. Wide open space on my left stretching out to distant mountains, just the right shade of pale dusty purple. To my right, the mountains run along the entire length of my vision as the land rushes up to meet them.

Just then, the sun lifts above and between the peaks and in that first 10 minutes of sunrise, nobody. No. Body. Has a better job than I do.

Of course, shortly after that I can't see a damn thing because the sun is to low for my visor to block and to high for the landscape to help with, but those first 10 minutes... Yup, still worth it.

Be safe everyone and have an amazing day!

Excited to finally be starting

David, welcome to TT and welcome to Prime! I think you made a great choice, I have been very impressed with the way they handle their business.

Prime, Schneider, Or Werner

Hey Carter ? How is the bunk space on those lightweights ? I've seen a lot of them going down the road and they seem small.

I'm still in my trainers truck, so nice and spacious... I will definitely let you know once I get into my own. Daniel B has a great post (with pictures) describing how to make the most the space in a LW. Just use the forum search for "lightweight" and it should be the first result.

New driver

Welcome to the forum, from a fellow Mainer (Ellsworth).

Hope that interview works towards getting you a job.

Prime, Schneider, Or Werner

My buddy driving for Prime for almost a year and he's happy there. He drives reefer and makes 36cpm.

I started at Prime about a month ago and I believe it is .38 base for reefer, plus .05 additional for lightweight, which I'm pretty sure all new drivers start with, for a starting total of .43 cpm.

Also, I will say that everything I have seen to this point tells me that they really have their stiff together and are a good company overall.

I've been very happy.

Gave my trainer a story... (aka, popped my

Took me the better part of an hour - with wasted, sleepy musicians whining the whole time.

Say it ain't so! Stoned musicians are whiners?

Yeah, that doesn't sound fun. At all.

Prime inc

I started with Prime a little over 3 weeks ago (still in my training phase, team driving). The organization is top notch, the training is thorough (at least my trainer is) and the pay is very fair from what I understand.

If you come in with the attitude that this is very hard work, you need to absorb tons of vital details and you will be bone tired all of the time then Prime will give you all of the tools you need to succeed in this industry.

Gave my trainer a story... (aka, popped my

Brett, that would have given me a heart attack. The lesson, as always, take your time, check your surroundings and don't make a bad situation worse, throw on the 4 ways, figure out a good safe escape plan and execute...safely.

Gave my trainer a story... (aka, popped my

You have a really really really good trainer.

I agree. He has his quirks (who doesn't), but he knows his s#!t and is willing to teach, not just collect trainee miles.

I lucked out.

Gave my trainer a story... (aka, popped my

I'm sure glad that, a: I made that mistake with someone experienced on board that could save my bacon, and b: that I didn't ruin my career by clipping a beat up '84 regal with missing hubcaps except for the fake spinner on the front.

That woulda sucked.

Gave my trainer a story... (aka, popped my

Greetings everyone from beautiful Utah. Well, I finally did it. I performed an action that my trainer can use as an example of what NOT to do for any of his future students. I knew that providing him with fodder was inevitable, not sure anyone makes it through training without at least one level 4 brain cramp, I'm just glad it is out of the way and no innocent lives or property were damaged.

The scene of the crime was Gary, Indiana and he wanted me to fuel up at a TA. Everything was ducky at this point, he had gone to sleep a few hours earlier, I was going to show him that he could feel comfortable sleeping for mundane things like fueling and so on without having to get up (anybody catch my first mistake?).

I come off the interstate, make my turn and start towards the entrance. All good so far. I see the big sign on the corner up ahead at the light and assume the truck entrance is over there (who here caught my next series of mental errors?)

So yeah... I catch the "truck entrance" sign out of the corner of my eye add I roll past it. "No problem" I think; I figure I will just circle back around. I turn left at the light to find myself in... a residential neighborhood. Crap. At least there is a fairly large parking lot with not too many cars here on my left. I'll just swing through there... Yes, that is really what went through my mind. It was 2 am, don't judge ;-)

First half of the parking lot went swimmingly, right up until I offset my way into a corner with about 2 cm between my trailer and a parked car. At least there was a storage container pretty close to the other side to take some of my focus off of the potential property damage I was about to inflict.

I was contemplating my options (going to Mexico and getting a new identity did flash across my mind, but...) when Satan came out of the bunk (in boxers, of course). He politely asked what was going on, or maybe it was more colorful than that, but I digress. After some swearing and video game level steering, he got us out.

He bought me lunch the next day. And told me to never, ever. Ever. Try to fix a mistake by creating a bigger one. He told me if I'm ever in doubt, stop, don't make it worse and then we will figure it out.

Lesson learned...

How can I be happy trucking when I get really lonely on the road and hate being away from home?

Wow Chris. It might have been a little easier if you asked the secret of the universe, but I will try anyway.

You may hear a lot about how you are young and need to take advantage of the opportunity you have, or "when I was your age, I would have..."

None of that really matters, you have kind of already answered your own question. You love to drive, but not more than you want to be at home. Nothing anyone says here is going to change how you feel about not being with your friends/family. Those are your priorities and just because they may not be mine doesn't make them any less valid.

Knowing that being OTR will make you miserable, I think it is safe to say that over time, you would resent it. Your best bet is most likely to be finding something local. With 7 months experience, you may be able to find something where you live that will get you home every night, but be warned, it may only be long enough to untie your boots, eat and pass out. Not much social about that either.

At the end of the day, the 23 year old you needs to find something that makes him happy, while setting up the 43 year old you to be in a financially secure place so that he won't have to struggle to support your choices.