Profile For movingmetal

movingmetal's Info

Experienced Driver

4 years, 10 months ago

movingmetal's Bio

Professional driver like really

Manual Labor trucking jobs

I think working for one of those local companys you named above I would really enjoy. Thanks for the advice.

Time versus mileage, it's a challenge

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are trying to say about your hours or time. What you posted looks like some normal days on the job. You cant always get those days where you just climb out from the back and turn miles all day.

Manual Labor trucking jobs

What are the best labor trucking jobs that pay well? I am currently a otr driver. I do not want to quit trucking. I would like a job that I get out of the truck frequently and work hard also getting paid well for my manpower.

Countless hours of unpaid work as a company driver. Trucking truth

Im all about the hard work pays off and you get what you put into something. The 1000 hours in one year of unpaid work doesn't sit right with me. That's called robbery.

Countless hours of unpaid work as a company driver. Trucking truth

You work way more hours than a normal worker and all those off duty hours you are working to save clock because you only get paid for miles. Experienced truckers need to chime in on what move to make so im always getting paid. I like otr and the job but all this unpaid work is ridiculous.

Is trucking getting safer or more dangerous?

The population of humans is out of control. Youll think its rush hour at 10pm sometimes. The roads were built decades ago for less traffic. Construction is difficult to achieve with all the joyriders clogging the roads. They don't build enough areas for truckers to stop. Its absolutely asinine sometimes at these truck stops. This same population pays our checks but at same time the usa needs to be more trucker friendly. I see thousands of fuel stops and food areas for 4wheelers compared to truck stops. I dont know about more dangerous but the system could use some work.

With Swift Training how soon after school do you go out with trainer

I went to school in richmond. They took VA PA and NC students only. Like I said we tested out at swift to pass the school. Pa students and nc students were sent home to test at their own dmv test sites. I was from va. We took a swift freightliner about 30 minutes away to a dmv test site to obtain our cdl.

Speed and money

Dont forget to factor in dot hours of service and 14 hour clock. You are your own time management so that is irrelevant. In a faster truck you will gain more miles and your 70 hour clock will get more miles.

Speed and money

This is basic math and common sense. These guys saying no are wrong. Im on my way to Washington state from new york. 2700 mile trip. Now you tell me if I make more money in a faster or slower truck.

With Swift Training how soon after school do you go out with trainer

After you pass the school you need to pass all over again at dmv. After dmv you can go to orientation the following monday. If a mentor isnt available on Wednesday they put you into a hotel untill the mentor shows up.

Purchasing small appliances for in truck use???

Also whoever made the rule stating no inverters in the truck has never lived in one. Im sure they go home every night to a house with everything they need. This is my home.

Purchasing small appliances for in truck use???

Modified sine wave vs pure has nothing to do with damaging the truck.

Purchasing small appliances for in truck use???

I work for swift. My truck has a pre cut hole directly behind my driver seat and hole leading into the battery compartment. It took me one minute to hook some gauge wires to the battery and run them into the cab to feed a 1500 watt inverter. Ive had zero issues. Do not run any more than 150 watts through a cig lighter adapter.

How did you mount your TV?

I just bought a 24" vizio and im trying to figure out a good way to mount it so it doesnt come crashing down when I hit big bumps in the road.

Rookie driver becoming a owner operator without hesitation

I dont know if I told yall this but ive been driving a truck and trailer for over 3 years before I got my cdl. It gave me a major advantage in school and just period driving. I still remember 3 years ago how crazy it was to only see out of 2 mirrors and backing was out of question. I guess I am not a true rookie. The trailer is just longer. Has more power and its a bigger rig. Driving it is the same. Backing and cruising around truckstops or a shipper reciever is a lot different. Its harder but I aint no stranger coming in to this. Im not just a random joe going from a honda civic into towing trailers. I do have experience prior on busy crazy roads and highways for 3 years. 30foot trailers.

Rookie driver becoming a owner operator without hesitation

Cmon brett dont you love my enthusiasm. You could hire me. And old school. Thanks for your advice. I listen to yall veteran truckers. Im not jumping into this blind now.

Rookie driver becoming a owner operator without hesitation

I'll keep yall posted brett and old school how it works out for me. I definitely want advice. Dont get me wrong. I'm just letting yall know my plans and my story so far. Nothing wrong with ambition. I've seen enough to know I can make more leasing a truck.

Rookie driver becoming a owner operator without hesitation

Running 65 in the right lane works nice at 3am on cruise control or middle lane. Company trucks are struggling to climb hills and slow. During the day its impossible to run at 65. I find myself barreling down the left lane passing a whole convoy of trucks to get back over to right lane so 4 wheelers can run 75 80. Its left lane pass get over or run 55-60 all day in a 65 70 mph zone. Company drivers are pretty much cemented in that right lane. They can't pass anyone anyways. I'll be a owner op and take my chances.

Rookie driver becoming a owner operator without hesitation

You make a lot of sense and thats the reply I was looking for. I know I can do this :)

Advice, owner operator?

Reach down low and grab tight and ask yourself is this for me? If you're questioning it then you may want to hold off. You see im a rookie just like you. Im leasing a truck. If you can't drive hard dont do it. Are you in the right lane or the left lane? Weigh your options and think logically. As a owner op youll spend a lot of time passing company trucks