Profile For Deb K.

Deb K.'s Info

CA

Preparing For School

7 years, 7 months ago

Deb K.'s Bio

Have owned my '83 Chevy Silverado for about 7 years now. Only a 1/2 ton...lol...far cry from an 18wheeler.

Raised my two children, son and daughter as a single mom.

Love music, all types, blues, reggae, some country, some metal, classical, standards, light jazz. But, like music. Really enjoy movies - adventure, comedy, romance, science fiction, foreign, historical. Yep, like watching movies. And really enjoy science...geology, astronomy, biology, etc etc. Definitely want my own place someday, sooner than later. Have a garden, my own kitchen, front room, TV, mail box. A little ranch would be ok. A horse, dog, cat. :) Wouldn't mind having someone to grow old (older) with. :)

Keep on truckin

Training Questions

Hi All, Here's some questions I've got...I'll be heading to training starting 11/10.

- The $150 deposit or seating fee for my company is for ? Just wondering.

- Need work gloves....How thick or rugged? There are many types I've seen at hardware stores.

- Was told to bring a sleeping bag. I don't have one, and I don't really like the less expensive nylon kind. Could I just bring a couple heavier blankets that I presently use to sleep with? I really like them... using just one keeps me mostly warm, and two really keeps me comfortable. And a pillow. ??

- Here's a question for the ladies....Some women don't wear any makeup or do much about their hair. But, I do wear some makeup, and my very very short-cut wispy straight hair just looks nicer, to me anyhow, if I use a curling iron all over it, which just gives some body and style. My question is, I've never lived with a total stranger in a truck cab for 5 or 6 weeks, and will feel somewhat awkward "getting ready for the day" . And I have a strong feeling I will be advised not to worry about how "I look", and not to bother doing my hair and face...because I won't have the time anyhow...right? So, any of you out there, please any comments. At my recent jobs, I usually got up about 3 hours ahead of needing to be at work. I have not liked having to get up half hour before work and then rush rush. I would make the bed. Wash face, brush teeth. Do makeup, style hair. And then make me staple of oatmeal every day. But, after reading how even though truckers must have 10 hours down time...after finding park spot, paper work, shower, and eat before getting into the bunk...May not even get 8 hours before needing to get up and get back on the road...to make that paycheck. So, I def may need to completely change my morning ritual (which I realize may become an evening ritual with driving all hours) or just forego trying to add a little something to my look. Here's an interesting post from a woman going without makeup for a week. I totally relate to what she wrote.http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/things-you-learn-when-you-dont-wear-makeup-for-a-week.

Thanks All for your comments. Deb K

Doing job applications

Hello All , Again :)

It's been over a year since Swift officially bought Central, which I just read about...sooo...if I'm interested in working one of them, do I apply at each of their sites separately ...Or I could do the One Stop Application here at this site? right?

Oh and thank you Brett for you response to my earlier question. The date was actually 1992, not 2002, so that's 22 years. At the Central application the D word was not even mentioned. So, that is good. I will also email you the avatar photo for my profile. Thanks

Anyhow, this Swift/Central thing is a little confusing. So they both still have their own schools, and a person would apply to them separately, and when a person is hired by say Central, then that person is an employee of Central, not Swift?

Thanks, and hope to get on board soon with this, so I can come back here and start studying. Yes! Oh and GO GIANTS ;O Deb

Trucking companies...with training ...in California?

Just thought, staying in a motel will be much cheaper, but again, will find out if Central takes care of that. All of course for me to repay later.

Trucking companies...with training ...in California?

In reply to Daniel, At TDA it is mentioned that they do not housing during schooling, and that housing in the area is about $800-900 monthly. Is this also covered/or paid by Central? Again, I'm calling TDA in the morning and will ask them about this. Thanks

G O G I A N T S !!!!!!!

Yay GMen !!!! Just one more game .... then it's 3 WS in 5 years !!!! Parade, here I come :)

Trucking companies...with training ...in California?

Daniel, great thanks. I understand now. :/ lol Yes, I'll call them tomorrow and get the info. Thanks for your time Deb

Trucking companies...with training ...in California?

Again, thanks Daniel :)

I'll give TDA a call, but I was looking in the direction of company sponsored schools because I don't have any funds for tuition, and have read from some posts here and after a google search of how long it takes sometimes to get approved for WIA for instance. And unless Swift or Central for instance wrote TDA a check for my tuition, I couldn't pay and then wait for reimbursement. But, I'll give em call and see. I'd really rather get to work sooner than later. But, in any case, I'll see you on the road. Thanks, Deb

How to change my avatar?

Thanks ButtonUp. I did a search at this site for "avatar" and there was a question about being able to just upload a photo from bout a year ago, and Brett said it was to happen a few days from then.

But, how do I access the "address" of a photo, even on FB. and then how do I access this bucket thing? Sorry, confused.

How to change my avatar?

Looked at the help for getting photos in "the bucket" ? But, I just want to use a photo that's on my laptop.?? I tried copying and then pasting it, but no. And the photo doesn't have an "address" ??? Help Thanks Deb

Trucking companies...with training ...in California?

Aaaah Daniel ;) You're so sweet to be so concerned for me. :) Yep, I knew after rereading my post that it really seemed I was wussing out on such a temporary dilemma. After venting about my experience, I felt less concerned about it. And since I've also been going over the different company schools and which I would prefer. I have pretty much decided on Swift or Central - reasons: tuition, schooling, pay, and they both seem to have good reviews from many here at this site...and I've been told, here, and also saw at their websites, that Swift now owns Central. And as it turns out, Central has its school in southern Cali, and Swift's schools include one in Az and one in Id. So, my two first choices, for all the other reasons that I like them, the bus ride to their schools wouldn't be not too bad. And I've never been up through Oregon and into Idaho, so that would be a nice lookin-out-the-window-just-relaxin bus ride.

Daniel, since I've got your attention, and anyone else reading this...I've got a question.

I don't have a home or place that I'm living right now. I won't go into all the details, but my '83 Chevy truck is basically home :) When I report to training by bus ( notice I'm stating this as a sure thing), and then when I hit the road with my trainer for weeks and weeks, and then start on my own, where will I leave my truck? Guess I'm wondering how do other truckers get to the truck yard and then home on their day(s) off. With their own vehicle I guess. And they just park there until they get back weeks later.

Another question: Are a trucker's days off always at their "home" area or just wherever they happen to be when they've got days off.

I want to keep my truck where I can use it when I can.

And eventually, I'd like to get an apartment or little home, to come home to when I have my time off. AND even more eventually, I'd like to save up and try to get me a little piece of property, my own place, to come home to on my time off... to eventually retire to. :)

Ok, enough. I shouldn't feel to bad for going on like this....I've seen lots of novels here ;) But, it's sure good to meet all these nice people, just like you Daniel. Thanks again for your concern. I'm gonna call both Swift and Central this week and grill the recruiters. I'm ready and rearin' to get on the road :) Deb

Give misdemeanor information?

Hello All, It is mentioned here at TruckingTruth (this should be the answer to my question).. to not hold back any information on a trucking company's application.

In 2002 I was convicted of a shoplifting misdemeanor, and did community service for 8 weeks.

On these trucking applications I SHOULD check the square that I DO have this on my record, no how far back it is?

Would really hope this will not stand in my way of being hired.

Thanks for you help. Deb

Trucking companies...with training ...in California?

Hey, thanks for your responses. My reason for asking about California companies that train: I once, back in 2006, took a greyhound bus by myself from Pensacola, Fl to Bozeman, Mt. The ride took about two days. Stops at every bus stop along the way, sitting in bus stops for several hours late into the night. I'm not a wimpy female, but many of these stops were in questionable areas with homeless persons roaming around the station. Saw some young gang-types hassling a few of the bus riders. There was no security personnel in the stops. On the bus ride there were some shady characters, moms with crying children, some persons that seemed drunk and smelled as such. At one late night station before leaving, the bus driver spoke over the intercom, "Ok, all you men, if any of you cause any trouble or hassle any of the women, I will stop in the middle of nowhere and kick you off the bus, so behave yourselves."

I realized riding on buses nowadays isn't like back in the 1950's, with men wearing suits and fedoras, and women wearing dresses. So, no more bus riding for me, thank you.

I do have my own 1/2 ton truck to travel across the states to a CDL school, but my just started unemployment is only $96 per week, so gas money will be pretty tight.

Anyhow, that is my reason for the Cal company training question.

After re-reading the above, it does sound like I'm a wus and a princess. And do know I will likely run into some tough, shady persons along the highways, at truck stops, and even at the drop area once I became a trucker, but that was truly a bus ride from hell. Would rather not do it again. But, thanks again for your responses. I did just read that Central Refrigerator has training in Fontana, Ca. Just did a search at this site for any posts about Central. Anyone have comments about Central for me.? Thanks to you all. Deb

Training question: Female trainee with Male trainer

Hi All,

Just wondering...when out on the road for several days during training, how does it work for when trainer and trainee get sleep? Is all sleep done in the truck, or do OTR drivers also sleep in motels? Thanks, Deb

Trucking companies...with training ...in California?

Hello, Anyone know of any trucking companies in California, preferably that also train? Thanks for any info. Deb

Company training questions???

Hello, Here are my questions:

- At the Knight website is list of where they train and which states they are accepting trainees from...My state, California, is not listed for their Arizona center. Just curious why they have these limitations? After searching through all the companies that train, I really liked Knight...But, sheesh :( Tomorrow I will call them just to inquire about this, then I will know. - Another Knight company question. Also at their site they state that the physical will test for trainees being able to perform essential functions of the job, loading and unloading of freight. Being an older female, mostly in shape and healthy - this loading and unloading concerns me. ?? Please anyone explain a little about this. - After browsing through all the companies at this site, I thought I'd do a google search several using the search words:- truck company's name, such as Knight- and trucking reviews. The two main sites with reviews from employees were Indeed.com and Glassdoor.com. Many of the reviews from present or past employees of each company I searched had not very nice comments. Such as: "The companies and recruiters lied about pay and mileage", "the dispatchers were rude and hard to get on the phone for help", and of course there were many comments of being away from home so much (but the drivers should have known that). Guess there will always be disgruntled employees, for all jobs - But, I'm still debating on taking this leap into becoming a truck driver.

Thank all for any info. Deb

Where to get company training

Hello All, I've been reading through this site and seriously considering becoming a trucker. Not sure the steps to take - do I do application here at this site that is accessed by all the companies first? Or after reading through all the different companies, do I apply to the one(s) I think will be a fit. Also, I'm from California - should I apply to a company that is either in California or has offices here? I'm on unemployment at present, and money is super tight - that is reason for wanting to go with company training. I'm a 62 yr female. Healthy, and believe I could do this work. At first wondered if my age or gender would limit me, but posts here in the forum eased that concern. Now, just need to figure what/how to do next. Actually when I first started reading this site, I wasn't as confused on how to proceed. But some of the posts, such as being denied by a truck company, made me realize getting a trucking job isn't exactly a sure thing. So, any info is helpful. Hopefully , see you on the road soon. Deb