Profile For Leedoshuffler

Leedoshuffler's Info

Pueblo, CO

Experienced Driver

4 years, 5 months ago

Leedoshuffler's Bio

50 yrs old. Feels like I'm on my 50th career. Been driving since I was 15. Now it feels like I'm learning all over again. Married with two wonderful kids. Committed to Christ, but far from perfect. Still needing a lot of work.

Reefer is more night driving?

I ran reefer with Prime, Inc. for a year and a half. 95% of the time I was able to run during the day, usually starting around 5-7am. In that whole time I had maybe 5-6 occasions (running 1-3 days at a time) where I had to run between midnight and 6am. Sometimes the load just calls for it. As a general rule though, if I could avoid driving after midnight I definitely would. I have a few friends that work reefer jobs and they'll generally drive after midnight. Not sure if it was more a preference or just how they managed their clocks.

Multiple preventables

Thank you Tim. I've now have a few regional / local companies that are an option. They all are aware of my preventables and are willing to interview and allow me to go thru the vetting process.

With any luck I'll have couple of options to choose from.

Transpro / Burgener trucking

I have an upcoming interview with this company.

Looking for some background info, opinions or direct experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Questions about prime leasing

Just finished up my first 3 months as a prime lease driver. I ran for a bit over a year as a company driver.

If I had to do it over again. I wouldn't do it. My weekly settlements after expenses and before taxes have varied greatly, from a negative $988 to a positive $ 2348. This week I got $1645 last week $320. I haven't been home in over 3 months and still would need to save up more to go home 4-7 days and not be in the hole.

As a lease driver the stress level is greatly increased and the company does nickel and dime you to death. I've run my truck well, never missed a pick up or appt, 8.3mpg avg) and after "breaking in" a brand new truck got my weekly avg. fuel cost down to 13.9 per mile.

My first two trainers were lease drivers and did well, (71-78k / yr. after expenses before taxes) but they didn't seem to mind being out 3-4 months at a time. Long trucking is definitely not for me. Maybe some like it, but spending months on the road and not really having a life is ridiculous to me.

Glad to coming off the road to work locally.

Multiple preventables

Back out with a trainer would be a possible solution. However, all this may be a blessing in disguise. I enjoy truck driving in general but I hate being OTR so much. Due to the cost involved being a lease driver I'll have been out 3 months by the time I'm released at the end of May. I have found a local / regional dry bulk company that is willing to hire me. I'll be out 3-5 days at a time then home with my family. I had been praying to find something closer to home.

Multiple preventables

Ty both for your replies and non-judgement.

Pat. I will give Western Express a call and see what they say.

Rainy D. - a couple were scrapes. Primes safety dept. took two of the six overall preventables I had down to "incidents" since they were small low cost in house repairs (torn side skirt & bent deer guard). Two if the incidents required 2k in repairs though. The other two were me hitting another truck, both resulted in paint scraped or a small dent (minor repairs that were cosmetic in nature not structural) but since they involved claims from another company Prime couldn't remove them.

Regardless all the preventables involved my lack of attention, being distracted, stressed or not taking my time. All lessons I've learned. Haven't come close to hitting anything with my trailer in a year. The other problem point was the front right part of my deer guard.

Multiple preventables

I know that I'll get a few response telling me to find a different type of job and I have no business being a truck driver....but here it goes.

I've had multiple preventables (5) in my first year and half driving. Four occurred during training and my first few months driving the last two over the last year. At least they're getting less frequent. *sigh*

I've definitely learned my lessons from them. Seems like each situation taught me something different. Anyhow, as a result my current company is letting me go at the end of the month.

I'm looking to put together a list of companies, small, big, regional, OTR, etc., that will still hire me on, even on a probationary basis.

I've found a couple so far. They don't have great reputations but at least they are willing to give someone a second chance. 1. Bhandol Brothers Trucking 2. Carolina Cargo

If anyone can add to this list Id appreciate the help. Please keep the abuse and critisism down to a bare minimum. Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted:  4 years ago

What makes a load "Good"?

Thank you for the additional replys.

Any and all constructive help, criticism and input is welcome.

Sry for my snappy relpy. Just get tired of the occasional hazing attitude people get.

Posted:  4 years ago

What makes a load "Good"?

Hmm? Some of the responses were not quite what I expected. You would have thought I was Oliver at the orphanage asking for more gruel. I mean, really, the audacity of me to try and determine what makes a good load. I mainly asked the question because I had been given the option of a few different loads from our Driver Line up out of our main terminal and didn't know what to commit to. I, of course accept graciously all the loads my fleet manager gives me. First Brett, thank you for your professional and thorough follow up. As for the others.... Please next time just keep your two cents. I can do without all the lecture. This from another rookie driver and someone in company training. "Keep your head down", "You can't negotiate anything", "your just meat in the seat." I may be a rookie truck driver, but after 50 years of living I'm not a rookie in life. I made thru the marines, a college degree, and own another successful business. To come at me with this we've been doing this longer, so you just have to take the crud attitude is just childish. Like Oliver, I just don't know any better then not to go ahead and ask. It worked out though. After talking and working with my fleet manager I've gotten some "good" loads and over 2400 miles this week. Think I'll just talk to the truckers I personally know next time.

Posted:  4 years ago

What makes a load "Good"?

As a rookie driver who now has four loads under his belt, I have a question for the more experienced ones on here. As a company and rookie driver, what aspects of a load make it good? What should I look or listen for so I can negotiate, and/or work with my fleet manager to improve miles and pay? Thanks in advance for any help. 😊

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Why isn't SRT in the paid cdl training school

I'd recommend staying away from SRT. This company is based in my home town and has a very bad reputation. I've also got a friend who works as a dispatcher there and he tells me that "mindf**king drivers is how he has fun at his job." Js

New to Prime

Smart move there Katie. I took full advantage of the online training program trucking truth offered. It helped a tremendous amount. I managed to pass my states CDL permit exam with a 97 first time out.

Good luck with the process and training!😊

New to Prime

Hey Katie,

I'm in my 2nd week of TNT training with Prime and have really liked it so far. No company is perfect but this one is a very good one. Most of the drivers I talk to are quite happy with their situation. If you can get your CDL permit before you come to orientation. It will make your first week of jumping thru the hoops less stressful, and believe me it can be a bit stressful. I'd also not be in a super rush to find a PSD trainer. I'd suggest trying to spend a few days on the training pad and getting a feel for the backing procedures. It sometimes hard to get much backing practice on the road. When you do find a trainer spend some time talking with them and getting a feel for how and why they train. Don't just let them choose you, be involved. Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.

Hill driving in a lightweight

Got a question regarding hill / mountain driving in a lightweight. I've been out here training in a full size Peterbuilt. When I get my own truck it'll be a lightweight Freightliner. Are there any tips, tricks or suggestions regarding doing hill / mountain driving in a lightweight truck?

Weight of truck and trailor

Starting pay for a Prime company driver in a lightweight is now .43/cpm with a potential of .01-.06/cpm in fuel bonus. They pay a min. Guarantee of $700/ week during the second phase of training.

Starting with Prime Dec. 1st

I'm back from home time and into my second week of company training after getting my CDL. So far this phase of the training is going a lot smoother and I'm enjoying it quite a bit more. My second phase trainer has a better demeanor and is definitely more laid back. I've been docking into almost every dock we come to and learning more about different types of driving as well as dealing with customers, paperwork and Qualcomm procedures. I also feel much more relaxed and confident driving and it really helps to get a decent paycheck for my efforts. I've enjoyed my experience starting and training with Prime. I'm looking forward to the day I can upgrade to my own truck.

Until next time. Be safe out there all!!

Starting with Prime Dec. 1st

Hmm? Heard about me? Sounds confusing. Don't know what to say to that or feel embarrassed or indifferent. Oh well. Not going to stress. On a positive note my instructor did do a good job of teaching me how to drive in multiple situations and environments. I put in over 110 hours of driving time in the five weeks we were out and feel confident driving in all traffic conditions.

After some much needed home time I'll be going back out with different trainer for the second phase.

Be safe folks!

Starting with Prime Dec. 1st

After about 5 weeks we finally headed back to Prime's HQ for my CDL testing. We came into the terminal a few days early to get some backing practice done. My biggest gripe about the training at Prime was the limited backing practice I got out on the road with my CDL trainer. In 5 weeks I had only 3 dedicated training sessions for backing and 5 chances to actually back into a parking spot or dock. Back at the terminal our first backing practice session went so bad my trainer got three kinds of ****ed at me and started yelling about me getting my head out of my ass or I'd fail. He was under the impression that we had plenty of backing on the road and I should've had it all down - NOT. I also didn't appreciate his ****ed off demeanor towards me. My trainer decided to delay my CDL testing by one day and focus on backing. I decided not to pay attention to his ****y attitude and just focus on getting better at the backing. Over the next three days we put in over 20 hours of backing. I backed so much I had to elevate, ice and medicate my left knee every night. It paid off though. When test day came I got a perfect score on my pre-trip, only 2 points on my backing and missed a trifecta pass on day one when I didn't quite get all my trailer in a turn lane during the road test. I managed to get a passing score on the road test the next day. Now I've got my CDL license and I'm officially a Prime employee. Now I'm heading out for a week of home time before getting back on the road with my 2nd phase trainer. It was a tremendous relief to finally pass my CDL test and get my license. Now I've got my second phase of training to get thru before I get my own truck but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Until next time! Be safe out there folks!

Flatbed driving

Thanks for your replys.

I can see why I should use more motivations then just sleeping patterns. I don't mind running a few nights every week especially if it means more money. This far in my reefer training I've run midnight to six 80-90% of the time. I actually been inspired by Old Schools comments regarding the extra exercise, challenges of securing a load and satisfaction of a well secured or tarped load. I've found myself looking over all the flatbeds I see and observing how well their loads are set up. I'm not a big guy, 145lb soaking wet, but I'm tough (former marine) and I believe I can handle the physical and mental challenges ahead.

Wish me luck at finding a second phase flatbed ding trainer. Our company does both but primarily runs reefer. So finding a flatbed trainer will be more difficult.

Flatbed driving

I've gone thru a few weeks of CDL training. I've been out on the road with my instructor who runs in a Reefer division. All this driving all night and sleeping during the day is driving me crazy.

After I get my CDL I'll have a choice of running flatbed or reefer. I'm strongly leaning towards flatbed now. My instructor stated that flatbedders generally run during the day and stole I. The evening.

Is this generally the case?