Comments By Joshua F.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/north-slope.jpg avatar
  • Joshua F.
  • Comments:

No company will hire a R.S.O.

We do have a setup where you can Apply For Truck Driving Jobs with just one application. That will help you rifle off your application to more companies at once.

We also have a list of Trucking Companies That Hire Drivers With Felonies to give you a better idea of what your options may be.

I have been using that link you provided. I'm just going day by day here.

No company will hire a R.S.O.

Try Crete carrier. Not to be nosy but how old are your criminal offenses.

14 years from original conviction date, 7 years from discharge of parole

No company will hire a R.S.O.

A quick update, I am also applying to TMC Transportation and Melton. I should have an answer within 24 hrs. Here's hoping for the best and for someone to say Yes!

No company will hire a R.S.O.

So I've obtained my cdl class A and have been applying to the major trucking companies and every time I get asked the Criminal Background I flop! Is there any independent owners who are looking for a 2nd driver who gives the person a decent chance despite their background? I have a 5 year clean MVR and not accidents or DUI's/DWI's.

Schneider, Swift, Werner, CR England and Dart have said no so far.

Any help would be appreciated. Currently doing day labor as a sign holder (Human Directional).

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Just a friendly and warm Happy New Years shout out to every one.

By the way the week of January 5th is an action packed week for my schooling experience. 1/8/16 is the day I take my Road test!

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Alright, it has been some time since my last post and a lot has gone on with my learning. My 10 Speed Simulator shifting it progressing but staying steady with a low of 65% and a high of 92%. I asked a few of my instructors about that and they assured me I was right in line with the progress and at least keeping it steady. The only thing they added was "Shift like a Grandpa! TAKE YOUR TIME!!" By-gollie it worked! I would have gotten time on the Sim today but it was down for maintenance (and I was thankful for that) and maybe tomorrow as well but they can take all the time they need; as the simulator is a valuable tool/aide for newcomers to learn on.

Today was also my first ever time in a big rig seat by myself ...EVER!!! It felt so great that I was just, "gibb-er-ing/gabb-er-ing/gobb-er-ing" {yes it was words like that which come out of my mind and mouth at times} words out of my mouth as I could not contain my enthusiasm (at 6am central time vs my best friend at a sleepy 4am pacific time) as I put the truck in gear and released my air brakes and backed up my trailer in a straight-line - attempt. I couldn't get use to the brakes fast enough and keep the trailer in correct perspective of my vision. So I just stopped and re-positioned; and just creeped backwards for 20 or so feet then back forward - all while adjusting the amount of pressure I was applying to the brake pedal and my foot/boot position. After five to ten minutes of doing just that with the brakes, I stopped all the jerking/whip-lashing/chug-a-lugging I was inducing not to long ago. Plus I could now keep the trailer under reasonable control and focus my efforts on straight-line and offset maneuvers.

Once my time ended on the range I decided to sit in on a classroom session involving AIR BRAKE/PRE TRIP Inspection. I was glad I did simply because we had a state examiner visit with us and actually stay the entire time until we all had satisfactory knowledge so we could move forward with recalling the info in proper terms and relative order. I will be attending this Saturday's pre trip class to make sure I get better and not mix up everything like a blender.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

So another day is done at the school. Friday last and today was backing range and 10 speed shifting simulator training. With the backing range (for those of us who have never even backed a trailer) I started out with a little Ranger pickup and tiny box trailer. {practically same size as u haul has as their smallest one} Straight-line backing went decently on friday with all the rough learnings of keeping a trailer straight. But today I decided a whole hour of straight line backing was not going to cut it; especially when my time in the tiny truck ends on the 30th at the start of my 5th week. Anyway, I'm all over the place on this post so please bear with me.

I managed a 90 degree back w/o a pull up (but boy was i sawing at that wheel) and then just pulled away to try my luck at offset backing. Mind you this is all on the same area. The offset backing had me a little worried but once I practiced it a few times I was getting better.

I went back to that 90 degree and fumbled. Almost jackknifed it but had sense in me to just stop and retry. Success on the next try. Feeling good I tried it again...fumble (hit cones - not literally but tires touched). One more time I tell myself then I'm switching maneuvers; and I get it perfectly in the spot with acceptable clearance in the back.

I did one straightline backing and I was pleased, so I followed up with an offset maneuver and here came the "D'oh's". Since i'm alone in the truck, I'm in charge (most likely not allowed during the road test or instructor time) I turned on the radio to clear my mind {nothing loud, just something to break the silence [silence being that other than freeway noise]} and finished the 30 min left on my time allotted. I was doing great. More 90 degrees and a couple of straight line to break up the monotony. Kept a decent groove and once or twice I had to pull away to the start position half way thru the maneuver to just start over.

Now my hour was up and its off to the Simulator lab for shifting practice. The simulator is as close as it can get to the real thing w/o doing a ton of expensive Transmission and Clutch work on a rig. The great thing about it is that it tells you if the clutch wasn't pushed in far enough, to far (clutch brake) or not at all, your revs were either too low or high causing grinding, etc. You are looking at a big 3 screen system and advice from the instructor on duty is to not look at your dash, just the big screen in front of you until you get better. This is mainly to teach you motor skills.

But today I was shifting alright but downshifting was not so great. Darn 5th gear would always hang up on me causing me to lose my rhythm. Tomorrow will be better and this is a 3 day week. As I get better I will inform ya'll otherwise this week is just backing the small pickup and shifting {that don't end for a while}.

Until then please stay safe and try to be curious to those knuckleheads who drive like hell. Just incase i forget; Happy Thanksgiving (early) to everyone and Thank you to all the Veterans and Service Men/Women who protect this country.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Yesterday I also got a reply from my Facebook post about trucking companies. LME is suggesting I talk to their local Terminal Manager near me and start working in the warehouse dept for a year and then move up to driving.

By the way, I received a copy of the Hirerite report from Schneider and there was nothing on it yet they still turned me away.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Thank you for the input Brett. I was looking locally because some of the big name companies have already said NO. Plus in Minnesota we have the "do not check this box" for felons here; giving us a chance to obtain an interview and put forth a positive image. My felony is from 2001 but when it comes to explaining it, that becomes my downfall. I wish there was a way to just say yes I made a mistake and it is there and I do not want to explain further.

My back up plans are to purchase my own truck of whatever type I can afford. Attend diesel mechanics so I can still get behind the wheel of them. Try applying with Straight Truck jobs.

I'm climbing one mountain then another. (Like a range of them)

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Good afternoon Drivers and students.

I have not posted for some time. (at home studying my pretrip and air brake routines) My Simulator training for shifting begins this Friday. And I also will get to see a Doctor about my high blood pressure Wednesday.

I am also doing research to find Minnesota based trucking companies that hire students.

I keep plugging away at it. (just no big National Carriers)

{There's a driver shortage and I find that a student fresh out of school who is "moldable" for a company would be desired. Some just need to open their eyes and be considerate to people who are turning their life around}

Just graduated trucking school

Congratulations. I am in my 2nd week of trucking school. I agree with the other posts here; the best company will full fill your needs and wants.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Good afternoon. I took some days off to get things straightened out with the schedule in front of me. Thankfully I'm adjusting at the propper rate. i.e. Sleep, diet, study, driving to class, staying awake using only vitamins and limited caffeine. I did obtain my Permit {apologies if I repeated that fact} and now I am choosing to attend the classes to help get the rest of the knowledge needed for time driving a truck. Yesterday was orientation for new students and our discussion of Driver Qualifications was cut short. But today was the first part of Hours of Service and it was extremely helpful! Even though most of us will be on E-logs, the instructor was demonstrating how to do Paper Logs (as a back up). Also we talked about the split sleeper berth time that Team Drivers usually use and when you get to that 14th hour of the day; you DO NOT DRIVE ANYMORE, but can still work on duty {just take a 10 hour break and you can drive again - Unless you are at the end of your 70/80 week}.

Tomorrow will be more Air Brake and Pre Trip Inspection (advised to attend as many of these as I can before I do my road test and/or instructor time in a truck off the backing range).

Classes are going good and I am glad to be at a Quality school that cares about their students. I have been talking to students from other schools and they are already in trucks and have barely gotten their permit with little to no simulator time on shifting; all the while hearing bout students messing up transmissions and gear boxes. (No Names - Anonymous)

But everyone has a different learning curve!

Have a great day and also a Safe day Drivers/students.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

I passed my permit test today achieving 80% on Combination and Air Brake. Now the next hurdle is the darn DOT physical. (fear of blood pressure) But with my school (Interstate Truck Driving) the next step is to schedule backing range time and a new text book to study from. More info on that as it becomes available.

Today we went over Backing procedures/maneuvers, Coupling and Shifting (not in a truck itself).

By the way, if I have not mentioned... I am driving to and from the school location every day so I can get the feel of a schedule for this career. {even though I am used to plenty of roads trips by myself to random points on the map}

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Okay, I missed a day yesterday on filling in you guys. It was actually all about Pre-trip procedures and lots of videos along with discussions.

Today however it was focused on Inspections . When Class ended at noon, I went back home to give my permit another shot. Sadly I second guessed myself on a total of 10 questions throughout the air brake and combination sections. I will hopefully be re-attempting the second try on Monday. (depending on how long it takes to get a certified birth cert.) Monday will also be my DOT physical and then more answers will follow.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Good evening everyone. I hope you all had a great and safe day.

Today was covering Pre Trip and Permit test prep. Yet half the time was occupied by recruiters. Schneider and US Express. Tomorrow will be Air Brakes.

I'm tired so I will let you go here. More tomorrow.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Good afternoon everyone. Class went quicker than expected, but enlightening none-the-less! Accident procedures were covered today. More of it will be blended into tomorrows class on defensive driving.

If you listen as they speak and check your ego at the door, you will pass these classes because it doesn't just end there. Once these 1st two weeks (for most) are completed and you get your permit; more course work and backing range/simulator training begins. They did show us the size truck and trailer we will be using on our road test to obtain the License. Since it is in a Metropolitan area, the size is smaller than OTR trucks. Although, once the road test is passed you would (depending on what program you are enrolled in) be going back for more training and simulator practice on 10 speed transmissions. (test trucks are 6 speeds) - More on that part when the time comes.

So it was just a pleasant day as I arrived early to the facility and just kept reviewing the MN Manual. Also my DOT physical is being held back a week as I work on my Blood Pressure. The faculty let me know that it was a very smart move (as 3 new comers today had theirs) to not waste the procedure. Interstate Truck Driving School is more than willing to work with me on whatever it takes to get the blood pressure under control. I was happy to hear that.

More tomorrow for ya'll. Stay safe on the roads out there.

Good morning everyone.

Just thought I would give an update before my day starts and I hopefully bring you back some great first day news. Woke up 2.5 hours before my alarms went off and couldn't get back to sleep. Chock it up to being anxious for this to start. I was already planning on using the spare time before class started at 8am to continue reviewing the manual and air brake folders provided to me. Oh well, the more time to review the better. Someone "up there" must really want me to succeed (every thing happens for a reason).

So the day begins, stay safe out there on the roads and if you are still sleeping in your truck as I post this...pleasant sleeping.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Where are you going to school?

Is it a private school or a technical college?

How much did you pay out of pocket?

If it is a technical college, were there any grants available to help lower the cost?

I will be attending Interstate Truck Driving School in South Saint Paul, Minnesota. It is a private school.

Took me 2 years to save up this amount -- $4,995 (for 160 hour manual transmission course)

The Automatic trans course (still 160 hours) was $3,995

The other school I had in mind - Heavy Metal Truck Driving, did offer grants but they dragged their heels and I was not happy with the way the recruiter rushed me into decision making. {they are based in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota - just 8 miles from the school I'm attending}

Wouldn't it have been much easier for you if you studied/tested for the permit on your own? Then all you would have to do in school is learn the yard/road.

I did have my permit but it expired. So now I have to redo it. It shouldn't take me long to review the material and obtain it. Then I will be getting ready for the yard.

Trucking School Process (Will update daily/weekly)

Just a suggestion, if your background is preventing you from getting company sponsored training, I suggest getting some prehire letters from several companies first. Before you spend so much $$ on school.

I agree 110% with The Shiva. I hope you have looked in to some companies or have some pre-hires due to your background.

Here are some other links that you may find helpful:

Trucking Companies That Hire Drivers With Felonies

Trucking Company Policies For Drivers With DUI-DWI

I checked the link for the felonies and I now have more companies to pursue. I'm under the case by case basis even if my felony is 14 years ago.