Profile For Tim

Tim's Info

New York , NY

Considering A Career

4 years, 6 months ago

Tim's Bio

My name is Timothy I love traveling, cooking, live music & music in general, sports. I'm a guy who likes to have his own opinion & open to new ones as well. I'm a good listener with a little gumption I like to do things the right way in life. I'm looking forward to talking with people on here & making new friends!

"The only people I owe my loyalty to are those who never made me question theirs"

US Xpress

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. I worked there years ago and they were always great about setting up accounts with lumpers, tire services, repair services, hotels, and about anything else they could think of to speed things up and make everything more convenient for the drivers. So I would imagine if they had dedicated accounts that required lumpers they would do everything in their power to make the process more convenient and efficient.

So far the most part you don't have to write a check for a lumper with working with us xpress? That's nice that they have that all taking care of

US Xpress

In some instances they'll have accounts set up where you won't have to do anything other than sign a piece of paper for the lumper service. Other times they won't have an account setup so they'll give you a Comcheck to pay for it. But you should never have to pay the lumper fee out of pocket. At least I can't recall ever doing so.

Thank you for your response and what about if you do a dedicated route with driver offloading do you ever have to get lumpers? I just feel waiting around for a lumper would take a while.

US Xpress

Does anyone know if you have to pay for lumpers for this company? Or do they have it all set up already for their drivers?? Thank you!

Swift mentors?

Any swift mentors located in the Connecticut area looking for a student? Thanks

Local vs otr

I wonder if that's more miles then otr?

Swift trans

Anyone on here drive for swift? If so how is this company to work for? Thank you

Local vs otr

What do you prefer and why local home daily or over the road driving?

Question About The DAC Report

Well it sounds like you got in a wreck of some sort which will almost certainly go on your MVR. Whether or not anything goes on your DAC will simply depend upon whether or not your current company chooses to put it there. In my experience any company that uses DAC will put everything on there. They won't hold things back, otherwise it's pointless using DAC in the first place.

The only way you'll know ultimately is to wait a little while and get a copy of both your driving report and your DAC.

Also, keep in mind that getting caught lying on an application will immediately get it tossed in the trash. You're better off being honest about your history and explaining things that happened.

Thanks for you response Brett.

Question

If a police report was filed but no tickets does it go on drivers mvr or dac?

Question About The DAC Report

Anyone know if a police report but no tickets or anything given, will it still go on your mvr or dac or anything? Thank you

Otr question

Seems to always be different no matter what just depends on where you are and what kind of freight you are hauling I also pull a flatbed and my first few weeks I was in and out of places in no more than 2 mores a lot of times less than that, then today I picked up some coils and was there 6 hours and 4 of those hours was just waiting to back in to get loaded, from my very short month of experience I would say there is no average typical day everyday is usually different and since most of the time we deal with people live loading and unloading it just depends on them a lot too how they like to work and if they have pride in their work or if they just wanna sit around and punch a time card and could careless about anything just the name of the game but waiting at the shipper or a consignee isn't a big deal cause if you work for a good company they will keep your wheels turning day or night. That's just my .02

Thanks

Otr question

How long does it take on average to get unloaded? How long you waiting on average? Thank you for your opinion.

On this particular load I'm on, I arrive at the consignee 16 hours early. Why? because I was hoping they would go ahead and unload me. This time they said they were too busy and to come back at appointment time. It only cost me an extra 10 minutes of driving time to get to a truck stop so no biggie. Another 10 minutes or so depending on traffic to get back and get unload tomorrow morning.

You might think this is going to cut into your paycheck. It only has a minimal effect though as long as your DM keeps giving you a lot of loads. I tend to run out of my 70 hour anyway, so It only allows some time to replenish that clock some. Which gets used up later as more loads tend to fall my way. Yesterday, I had picked up that load with only 24 minutes remaining in my 70. So as long as my 70 is keeping me down, no money is lost in the long run over long waits. Just as long as there aren't too many long waits too close together in a week.

Otr question

There isn't much of an average. I've waited 22 hours after I checked in for a load at national beef in Dodge city. I've been in a loading dock for 14 hours getting loaded at Anhueser busch in NY.(They loaded pallets then stopped. Then took some back off and loaded some more after)

Delivering to Wal-Mart DC's you can only check in an hour before your appt but usually have you loaded and bills signed in under 4 hours.

If there's damage to freight, you'll be there longer and then sometimes be stuck with the damaged freight to get rid of/throw away.

But if there's an "average" wait time to load/unload from the time you check in until you get loaded/unloaded I'd say about 4 hours. But longer wait times are frequent.

Many thanks for your response

Otr question

You'll get them all.

Been a hour early, held me in staging for two hours, and then sat on the dock for three more before the actual loading started. An hour and a half later it was all over. Five and a half hours (even after you take off the early hour) WITH an appointment time.

Been in and out in an hour with an open time as well.

.02

Otr question

One forklift driver can pull out 15 pallets in 20 minutes. I had a load of tires that had been hand stacked herringbone style in a trailer I had picked up. The live unload took two hours.

Waiting to get to the dock can be a whole 'nother story. Anything from "back it in" on your Lucky Day, to 8 hours sitting in a holding area.

Thanks for your response. 8 hours??? Wow that's long.

Otr question

So I drive flatbed so it may be different from reefer or dry van, but I'll give you my experience. On average, I'd say the wait is usually longer than the actual unloading time. It can vary a lot from place to place though. For example, I've waited about 3 hours hours in a long line of trucks all carrying lumber to a door/window factory, mainly because I didn't get there early enough (if they don't do appointments, I recommend trying to get there at least an hour before they open in the morning and waiting outside the gate). But to actually unload the lumber only took maybe 15-20 minutes. On the other hand, I delivered a hydraulic lift to a guy's farm in the muffle of nowhere, South Dakota. Obviously there was no wait for that one. So it all depends on where you're at and what you're hauling. But on average, I'd say I usually wait maybe up to an hour often sooner, sometimes much longer, and then about 15 minutes to unload. Then there could be another 15-20 minutes or so of putting equipment away (rolling tarps, straps, etc.)

Thank you for your response, must be rough waiting more then an hour at these places.

GPS for truckers

I believe anything with Rand McNally maps, specifically designated for truck drivers, is the standard.

Great so many kinds so I wasn't so sure. Thank you

Otr question

It probably depends on the degree to which it has shifted and if there's any obvious damage. In my experience, most of these forklift operators just take the load off like zombies without really inspecting anything.

GPS for truckers

Anyone have a great truck gps to get? Thanks

Otr question

If you deliver a load and the load shifted or tipped over on the wooden pallets does the place usually refuse the load?