Profile For Scott

Scott's Info

Pinon Hills, CA

Considering A Career

4 years, 11 months ago

Scott's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

The Downgrades Frighten Me

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just jumpin' the gun with the ole n00b jitters. Just yesterday I saw a CR England driver coming down Cajon right before the 15, 215 split. His rear trailer brakes were smokin' like a mother f'er. All the cars in the vicinity were like screw this noise and scrambling to get as far away from him as possible lol.

Another student for swift driving academy

Yea, I'll be doing the commute. I will start a new diary post once classes begin and I will try to update nightly or at least every other day. Give you a good idea of what to expect that first week, before you begin. Anyhow, have a safe trip up here and we'll see you there!

Another student for swift driving academy

Hey Mav, I'm starting in Fontana on the 16th, I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point. See you there.

Flatbed Variety

Now I've read in Brett's book that flatbed drivers have a little fraternity of their own. Is it a prerequisite to drive an evil looking Peterbilt (like you'd see in Maximum Overdrive) in order to haul a flatbed trailer? I swear, that's the only kind of tractor I ever see pulling these loads lol.wtf.gif

The Downgrades Frighten Me

I'm very, very familiar with the Cajon Pass and have also traveled Donner Pass and have driven a piece of s**t RV down Highway 395 around Mono Lake at night in a snowstorm. However, thinking of doing such in a rig makes me queasy. I've read many forum posts on the subject and have studied what the CDL manual says about driving down hill and I'm sure I'll be able to do it, but still. What are some if the gnarlier downgrades across the US that you have traveled and have you ever had to use a runaway truck ramp?

I'm considering becoming a driver.

If you cannot or do not want to obtain your CDL from a private school or community college, check out the Company Sponsored Training section here on TT. Read about the different companies, do your own research and contact recruiters. I just applied to all of the companies that looked attractive to me and after acceptance, chose the one I found best to suit my needs. The application process is easy as most companies use the same application program and you can easily just fire em off to the different carriers. Read the forums, ask questions and if you decide to go for it, definitely utilize the High Road Training Program on this site. Good luck.

I need help

Another vote here for: "Don't Quit". I have absolutely no OTR experience yet, but am starting with Swift on the 16th. Heed all of the advice given above. If nothing else, fulfill your contractual agreement. Remember, as bad as you think you might have it, someone else has it worst.

High Road Training Halted

Right on Old School. I've been working through it for about 2 weeks as time permits and just finished up the Air Brakes section. The repetition and re-enforcement is an excellent approach and the little pop up boxes with more info are great. I will never, ever forget that the low air pressure warning device must alert you BEFORE it hits 60 psi lol. Also watch out for the word 'except' at the end of the questions. If you start spacing out, it's an easy one to miss.

Personal Vehicle

Hi Matt, I used to work for a bulk commodities transportation company and our OTR guys used to do just that: leave their personal vehicle in the yard while they were on the road. They did allow, however, the guys that lived within close proximity of the terminal to just bobtail it home after dropping off their trailer. You said you can't do that at your current apartment, but if your going to hang with friends or family during your off days, and they have room for your rig, that might be an option. Not sure about the mega-carriers though. I'm starting with Swift the 16th of this month and truth be told, I never asked the recruiter about this. I'm about 40 miles from their Fontana terminal. Hmm, thanks for bringing this up, I'll have to call em tomorrow and see whats up. And if any of you experienced folks know, please chime in.

Swift Fontana - The Journey Begins 12/29/14

Sorry to hear about your loss as well. Hope the leg heals up good. Let me know when/if you head back here to the high desert. What trucking companies are you considering?

What to do...

Do it up Guy. Just subscribed to your channel.

Swift Fontana - The Journey Begins 12/29/14

Lol You live in "Failin'" or Feelin' and drive a Yaris? shocked.png LOL Sorry I had to. Good Luck in Fontucky....I lived in Hesperia for 10 years, Aim to move back asap...Sorry for the families loss of Grams

Thanks Stevo. Yea, or 'Felon' as most 'mechanical' voices pronounce it lol. Luckily I moved off of a dirt road to all pavement so I try to minimize off roading with the Yaris. Where you at now?

Knight Transportation

Hi Sam First off, congrats on sticking it out 8 years at the DC. Although I never worked at one, I was a produce guy at a store and we had associates that left to go to the DC and then came back a few weeks later because they couldn't handle it. Looks like according to the info here on TT there are Pam terminals in North Jackson and Willard, OH. Hope that helps and good luck.

Swift Fontana - The Journey Begins 12/29/14

Here ya go Mal if by chance you might still need it: Shannon Sund Office 623.907.7693 Text 602.492.6329

Swift Fontana - The Journey Begins 12/29/14

Hi guys, sorry I just kinda went *poof* after starting this thread but just before Christmas last year we lost my wife's 93 year old grandmother and it just devastated the whole family. Then about a week later my landlord informs me that he's selling the house we were staying in. Merry Christmas! Needless to say, I had a lot to do and the family needed me more than ever, so I postponed my December 29th Swift adventure and stayed at the job I already had. Well I am now back on track and slated in for a June 16th start date with Swift, still in Fontana.

If any of this is still relevant, in response to your guys' questions:

Mal: The recruiter is Shannon. I kept in touch with her every so often between December and now and she was fantastic with quick replies and keeping in touch. I'm afraid to minimize this browser and check my contacts to get her number in fear of losing this post lol. I'll check it and repost. Also, sorry I did not notice or recall receiving a PM from this forum from you. Sorry if I missed it.

Errol: I'm going to commute daily to Fontucky. I'm still 'up the hill' and just can't get enough of the Cajon Pass! The Fontana facility is like 40 miles one way and I drive a Yaris lol. But it'll be nice to still have additional family time before hitting the highway for a living.

Hope all is going well for you guys!

Swift Fontana - The Journey Begins 12/29/14

After much research and deliberation I have decided to go with Swift and begin the orientation/CDL training this month on the 29th. The Fontana terminal is only 40 minutes away from where I reside and all of the training is done there (there is no need to go to Phoenix). I also like the fact that they have plenty of runs out this way so if I do decide to stay with them, I may be able to get a dedicated run, or at least be familiar with where I am running. A big thanks to Brett for this excellent resource which has been my springboard in this adventure and I will update my journey as time permits. Also, if anyone is going to be attending Fontana orientation on 12/29 let me know and I'll see you there!

Completed swift academy and picked up my CDL yesterday

Right on. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. Good luck and be safe.

Completed swift academy and picked up my CDL yesterday

Congrats! Where did you do the Academy and when is your orientation?

A Question For Swift Drivers

Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

A Question For Swift Drivers

Hi, First off, this forum is fantastic. I have a question geared toward those that drive or have driven for Swift: Is there a dedicated route that runs from southern California to Oregon along Highway 395? I have traveled 395 quite often and have seen a lot of Swift trucks on that route, especially around the Alturas/Termo/Susanville area. Thank you!