Comments By Jared McClure

https://www.azlandscapecreations.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/12/ASU-18ed7dd5736d8ba01a81dc2d49dcdc06.jpg avatar

What NOT to do at a truck stop

Remember it's always a good policy to Get Out And Look! It might take 2-3 GOALs in a situation like that, what with all the glaring. Oh, glaring lights!

Just 2-3 times? I plan on getting out like 8 times when they start complaining over the CB about it. :P

Trucker Humor: Trucking Company Name Acronyms

SWIFT

Sure Wish Insurance Fixed That.

Third times the charm

Interesting part is that I found out that Swift will be putting me directly into one of their Dedicated fleets rather than sending me out OTR, which came as a bit of a surprise for me, as I was thinking I'd be doing OTR for at least a year. Not sure exactly where I'll be delivering for them yet, guess I'll find that out from the mentor?

How did you do that? Who did you talk to? How much did you have to pay somebody?

My road mentor recommended me for his own dedicated account, I really wanted that (you get weekends off). But when it was time to meet my DM, I was OTR, with the admonition that I could look into it in six months.

confused.gif

I never even asked about Dedicated, to be honest... Just was told by the facilitator when I checked in with her that they had me down for it. No idea why. dancing-banana.gif

Third times the charm

Little update:

Just started orientation today... It was the typical boring stuff... Drug test and wait around for people to finish their drug test and physicals.. Fill out a bit of paper work, watch the cheesy videos...

Weekend plans?

ZzzZZzzzzzZZzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzz

Swift

Just to clarify: For the first 13 months you're working for Swift, you'll only be paying $35 per week for the academy: but it will show on your paycheck as a $70 deduction and a $35 reimbursement.

If you leave for another company after say, 6 months, then you will have to pay them $70 per week for the academy for the remaining 7 months.

Swift

Thanks, for responding back, I'm suppose to call them back tomorrow and check on the status of my application. I've talked with every big Company out there, and I like what Swift has to offer. The only thing I wasn't crazy about is the fact they have a two year contract. How do you access those Diaries?

I just finished with Swift's academy and will be going on to orientation and then out with a mentor soon. There is no two year contract to work with them.. or any contract to stay with them at all, actually. However, if you choose to work with them for 2 years (26 months, to be more exact) then they will have completely reimbursed you for the cost of the academy. Basically, from the time you go out on your own solo (after the mentor training) they begin to take money out of your paycheck ($70 per week,slightly more if you stayed at the hotel, for 13 months) to pay for the tuition cost of the academy ($3900 + $500 if you stay at the hotel). However, they also begin to reimburse you $35 per week for as long as you stay with the company (though I think if you switch to dedicated or something, this stops).

So the run down is pretty much this:

For the first 13 months, you pay $70 (plus lodging costs until repaid) per week to pay them back for the academy. You will have to pay this amount regardless of whether or not you stay with the company.

For up to 26 months that you decide to stay with Swift, they will give you $35 per week as tuition reimbursement. If you stay the full 26 months, you'll basically have payed nothing for going through the academy.

Its really not that bad of a deal, and you should probably stay with your first company for at least a year, anyways. After 13 months, you may be able to find something that pay you well enough that outweighs that $35 per week that they'll give you.

Third times the charm

Welp, just finished with the Swift academy in Phoenix... Failed the road test portion of the skills twice before managing to pass it on the third time.. Have to say its a relief, and really the only portion of the training that I had all that much trouble with. I start orientation on the 9th so should be going out with a mentor soon!

"Orientation" - is that include on the road for six weeks? (Just clarifying terms.)

No, just 3 days at the terminal while they go over company policies and such with me.. And probably try to convince me to do a lease or something similar like that.. Could be heading out with a mentor as soon as the end of that Wednesday.. Just depends on if there is one available.

Third times the charm

Is trucking getting safer or more dangerous?

One old guy I saw had on his visors "GO AWAY!" Those things are always down when you have your curtains pulled, so I doubt he gets any calls. But seriously. I live in a very nice house, in a nice neighborhood and I feel no less safe at the truck stops I pull into.

I'll probably put that on my truck, too! Maybe a "GET OFF MY LAWN" sign as well.

smile.gif

End of Week 2 with Swift Academy in Phoenix, Arizona

Just finished up my second week with Swift's academy in Phoenix today. First week went by very smoothly, passed the pre-trip evaluation with flying colors and found the straight line backing practice to be considerably boring (too easy :P).

Second week was a bit rougher with "offset parking" and parallel parking. I didn't quite catch on with it until the very last day of practice, but when I took the evaluation this morning I didn't make a single mistake (didn't lose a single point!) on any of the three backing maneuvers they evaluated us on (straight line, offset and parallel).

Now the class gets a day off tomorrow and we will start on the road training portion of their program. I'm a bit nervous about it but I'm confident that I will get through it and pass the next evaluation and then pass my CDL test.

Pre-Trip Inspection - My Way! A must see!

Woo, that took forever. Brett, you really got to up that character limit for me!

Anyways, a few general tips:

If its rubber - ABC

If it has fluid/air going through it or in it - Not leaking.

If its mounted (almost everything is)- PMS

If its metal or some other hard surface- CBB

Memorize this and you'll ace it! Any questions?

Thank you Daniel! Especially for these particular tips which should be invaluable to keep in mind while going through the process!

LEAVING FOR SWIFT 15 FEB 2015

Good luck... Just started at Swift's Phoenix location earlier this week myself.

Truck Driver Terminated For Writing “Jesus” In His Logbook As A Co-Driver

But did he ever explain who this Mexican guy named Jesus is to his former employer?

Is my career over before it starts?

I just returned from a sleep study. I will say its the most miserable thing in the world next to my ex wife. at about 1230 they came in told me I met the criteria for a cpap. They placed it on and immediately I felt as if I couldn't breathe. I tried it 3 times before I said enough. I went back to sleep slept on my stomach like I normally do and no issues. The tech said that there were dental devices that worked for those who cannot wear a cpap. By not being able to wear the machine does this spell the end before I even get started?

I'm assuming when you felt like you couldn't breathe, that you had difficulty with exhaling.. In that case, you need to try a CPAP machine with a "C-Flex" or "A-Flex" option that will decrease the pressure during exhalations, which makes breathing with a CPAP mask on much easier for some people.

I have planned on losing 10 to 20 lbs or so, just to be healthier, plus the benefit of dropping the blood pressure, as well.

Having sleep apnea is no joking matter: it is certainly contributing to your high blood pressure and possibly to your weight issues as well, because it can lower your metabolism. Sleep Apnea and Related Health Conditions

If you truly have sleep apnea, you need to get treatment for it regardless of whether or not you wish to get into the trucking industry.

STUDENT DRIVER

Trying one more time. Please give me some advice.

It seems to me that would depend on your location and on whatever specific issues are important to you.

This site does have a list of companies offering company sponsored training, which can be found here.

I would click on that link and take a look at what it says about each school and decide which one is best for you.

Can I make a suggestion for the forum?

That's a lot better... I had a hard time looking at the map the other way and I like how you click on the persons name and it highlights them on the map.... Thanks brett

You bet!

Yeah, the old version obviously wasn't mobile-friendly at all. Useable in an emergency, maybe. This new template we're putting across the website is super mobile friendly. The tracker was a tricky one to get functioning on mobile but it works pretty darn good now. I dig it.

Any possible way to be able to go to a user's profile or send them a private message from the tracker? This way if you find someone in the same area as you and want to ask to meet for a lunch stop, you have an easy way to contact them.

Hit a snag with my DOT Physical...

Thanks Jared, figured I wasn't the only one that has had issues. Fortunately my machine has the SD card, so that part is just a matter of getting the report printed out. It just bites when things are going along smoothly and then you hit a snag. But I guess I need to get used to that if I'm going to make it in trucking! LOL Good luck with your training.

Yeah, it was pretty frustrating for me.. I had quit my previous job and gone to Swift's academy, to be told on my second day I'd have to get a new CPAP machine.. and use it for 30 days. So I got to play the waiting game, while unemployed, for the past month or so.. I am glad that I'll finally be back at it tomorrow (2/9).

Hit a snag with my DOT Physical...

I had the same issue with the CPAP machine.. I had to purchase a new machine with data capability... And then use it for 30 days before I was able to complete the physical. So make sure you have at least 30 days worth of CPAP data on your machine... and that your machine has a SD card so that you can remove it and connect it to computer to print out the information.